Old November 10, 2002, 06:56   #1
Wernazuma III
Spanish CiversCivilization III PBEMNationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 12:45
Local Date: November 1, 2010
The final and ultimate proof for the truth of Christianity
Let's face it: The bible is a work full of contradictions, incoherencies, nonsense and plain stupidities. It is so contradictory and fuzzy that accepting it is absolutely unlogic. No one has the slighest chance to proof the bible right, neither by empiry nor by logic, one can't even argue with probabilities of the bible as a whole being true. In the contrary, daily experience seems to tell us at every instance that many parts of the bible are not congruent with reality.
Yet uncountable people, sages, philosophers and wise kings have accepted christianity to be the only truth which explains the world we're living in. If they did so despite all the contradictions there must be something so deep in their hearts, an enlightenment which is deeply rooted in the essence of their minds which can be nothing less than the ultimate and unquestionable driving force of our universe, the eternal Christian God.

(Satire, free from the arab chronicler Masudi who told the story of a coptic old man explaining why he believes in christianity)
Old November 10, 2002, 07:18   #2
DRoseDARs
lifer
Spore
Emperor

Local Time: 03:45
Yep, another copout explaination for such blind faith. Masudi is yet another person too ignorant to be bothered with using logic to defend his position. If he tried, maybe he could, maybe not, but at least he would have tried.

If there is a God, s/he gave us a brain. If s/he wanted blind followers, s/he would have made ALL OF US brainless. Clearly, most Humans are not brainless, just clueless. So we can conclude two things, either: A) There is no God, or B) There is a God, but s/he wants us to actually USE our brains.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.
Old November 10, 2002, 08:47   #3
Alexander's Horse
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 20:45
If its all crap why does it bother you so much? Just ignore it.

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?
Old November 10, 2002, 08:49   #4
Ari Rahikkala
King

Local Time: 13:45
What about the fact that the Babel Fish doesn't exist? Don't you think that would prove a thing or two?
This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand
Old November 10, 2002, 08:56   #5
Lars-E
Warlord

Local Time: 11:45
What religion does Masudi adhere to?
Old November 10, 2002, 09:09   #6
Jaakko
King

Bah! There is only one true God, the Invisible Pink Unicorn, blessed be her pearly hide!
Old November 10, 2002, 09:32   #7
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 21:45
Bah! There is only one true God. Zeus, the God of Thunder. And he shalt strike thou down for thy blasphemy!
Old November 10, 2002, 09:33   #8
Ari Rahikkala
King

Local Time: 13:45
You forget me, the Shirerithian dolphin-god of UNIX...
This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand
Old November 10, 2002, 09:44   #9
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Hmmm, or was Thor the God of Thunder?

Regardless, one of them is the one true God.
Old November 10, 2002, 09:50   #10
Jaakko
King

IS NOT!!
Old November 10, 2002, 10:02   #11
Skanky Burns

Thats it, infidel, I'm declaring a jihad on you!
Or is it crusade?
Well, watch your back. Once I figure out just which type of holy war I just started, I'll be coming after you.
My God told me to.
Old November 10, 2002, 10:06   #12
Giancarlo
King

Local Time: 07:45
Quote:
fuzzy
That is my word, wernazuma...

Anyways, yeah religion sucks... it is probably the cause for many of the world's problems. As you notice, I do not believe in god.
Lets face it. We flamiing queers have more appeal then Pat Robertson and other religious wackos. We have shows that are really growing in popularity. We have more channels (Q TV, Logo Channel). And we help people in their style issues (Queer Eye for the Straight Guy). The last thing I saw a religious preacher did was ask for $5 in a "generous pledge" to help his bank account in Zurich, erhm, some starving kids in Zimbabwe.
Old November 10, 2002, 10:12   #13
Anodyne
Prince

Re: The final and ultimate proof for the truth of Christianity
Quote:
Originally posted by Wernazuma III
(Satire, free from the arab chronicler Masudi who told the story of a coptic old man explaining why he believes in christianity)
There's a story in Boccaccio's Decamerone (might be the first story in the book IIRC) about a Jew turning into Christian for the same reason
Old November 10, 2002, 10:16   #14
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 18:45
Infidels, the Ten Foot Hare will crush you all!
Old November 10, 2002, 10:18   #15
Urban Ranger
Deity

42. OPRAH'S ARGUMENT (II)

(1) Check out this video segment.
(2) Now how can anyone watch that and NOT believe in God?
(3) Therefore, God exists.
Old November 10, 2002, 10:20   #16
Urban Ranger
Deity

(Serious post)

Quote:
Yet uncountable people, sages, philosophers and wise kings have accepted christianity to be the only truth which explains the world we're living in.
The same can be said about all major religions. Norse and Greek mythology also had a lot of followers.

So?
Old November 10, 2002, 10:39   #17
Lars-E
Warlord

Quote:
What religion does Masudi adhere to?
Islam I suppose. Muslims and atheists are particularly active in pointing out alleged faults in the bible.

Christian apologetics have been around for 2000 years and the same questions asked in the 2th century are still asked and answered today. "There is nothing new under the sun" - History repeats itself. An example is Arianism (early AD) which denied the divinity of JC just like the modern day Jehova's Witness.

There are of course websites and books that answer questions posed by such as skeptic's annotated bible and muslim sites that state 'falsehood' in the bible. What often lacks is the willingness to look them up...

Quote:
Yet uncountable people, sages, philosophers and wise kings have accepted christianity to be the only truth which explains the world we're living in.
Interesting outlook.

Quote:
...there must be something so deep in their hearts, an enlightenment which is deeply rooted in the essence of their minds which can be nothing less than the ultimate and unquestionable driving force of our universe, the eternal Christian God.
This is THE approach to christianity.

To their own demise most religion-posters on Apolyton don't understand this.

Didn't know you listen to Oprah UR. I certainly don't. Therefore God doesn't exist?

Quote:
The same can be said about all major religions. Norse and Greek mythology also had a lot of followers.
Christianity is about converting and repenting UR. So?
Old November 10, 2002, 11:48   #18
The Andy-Man
Prince

Local Time: 10:45
Jesus Christ is the Poor Man's Bhudda.
Old November 10, 2002, 12:02   #19
Urban Ranger
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Lars-E
Christianity is about converting and repenting UR. So?
I hate to break it to you, but there's no difference between Christianity and other religions.

It's true that lots of people believed in Christianity, but there are also lots of people who believed in other religions. There were also lots of people who believed the earth is flat.

Do you understand what I am saying?
Old November 10, 2002, 12:15   #20
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 03:45
That's right! I mean, look at all those sages who were Christians, like Gandhi.

Old November 10, 2002, 12:29   #21
Saint Marcus
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III Multiplayer
King

Quote:
As you notice, I do not believe in god.
you believe in something far worse...

The American Foreign Policy

Old November 10, 2002, 12:32   #22
Wernazuma III
Spanish CiversCivilization III PBEMNationStates
Emperor

Masudi was a muslim, yes, but the anecdote seems to go back to Greeks from Alexandria in their anti-christian polemic. Bocaccio actually took the story from Masudi (with some works of other authors in between, he didn't know Masudi's work I think).

BTW, I didn't copout from any internet site, I just repeated the story from Masudi here in order to see the replies of fellow apolytoners. I didn't mean to make any special point with the thread. I'm just a little bit anarchistic and watch the stone that I pushed rolling down in this discussion.

I'm atheist BTW, as some of the smarter guys here will maybe have noticed
Old November 10, 2002, 12:37   #23
uh Clem
King

Local Time: 04:45
I believe it because it is absurd.

Oh wait, somebody already said that...
Old November 10, 2002, 13:22   #24
Robert Plomp
admin
DiploGamesBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamC4WDG Team Apolyton
Administrator

Quote:
I hate to break it to you, but there's no difference between Christianity and other religions.
by saying that you just showed how ignorant you are about christianity. It's truly hilarious to say something like that. And yes, there are christians who actually act like there is no difference. That's true.

Quote:
Let's face it: The bible is a work full of contradictions, incoherencies, nonsense and plain stupidities. It is so contradictory and fuzzy that accepting it is absolutely unlogic.

it's so cute
The less people know, the more adjectives they need to express themselves.
Old November 10, 2002, 13:28   #25
Giancarlo
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Saint Marcus

you believe in something far worse...

The American Foreign Policy

I believe in the lesser evil of two policies. The leftist policy is the more evil one... where the leftist wants the smoking gun first where 100,000 people die, whereas I want preemptive action.

Anyways back to topic...
Lets face it. We flamiing queers have more appeal then Pat Robertson and other religious wackos. We have shows that are really growing in popularity. We have more channels (Q TV, Logo Channel). And we help people in their style issues (Queer Eye for the Straight Guy). The last thing I saw a religious preacher did was ask for $5 in a "generous pledge" to help his bank account in Zurich, erhm, some starving kids in Zimbabwe.
Old November 10, 2002, 13:31   #26
Giancarlo
King

Cybershy, he is right. Accepting christianity is ignorant beyond belief... so many dumb assumptions...
Old November 10, 2002, 13:47   #27
Plan Austral
Spanish Civers
King

Local Time: 10:45
Location: Poster Formerly known as Kublai-Khan. Buenos Aires - Argentina.
Quote:
Originally posted by Fez
Cybershy, he is right. Accepting christianity is ignorant beyond belief... so many dumb assumptions...
It is a shame you are not a christian fuzzy Fezzy, anyway, you are young and you have time to repent.
Periodista : A proposito del escudo de la fe, Elisa, a mí me sorprendía Reutemann diciendo que estaba dispuesto a enfrentarse con el mismísimo demonio (Menem) y después terminó bajándose de la candidatura. Ahí parece que fuera ganando el demonio.

Elisa Carrio: No, porque si usted lee bien el Génesis dice que la mujer pisará la serpiente.
Old November 10, 2002, 13:49   #28
Giancarlo
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Plan Austral

It is a shame you are not a christian fuzzy Fezzy, anyway, you are young and you have time to repent.
Be quiet you.

The thing about christianity is... the only way you can accept is being completely ignorant of the facts. I will never fold to the lies!
Old November 10, 2002, 13:54   #29
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Quote:
Let's face it: The bible is a work full of contradictions, incoherencies, nonsense and plain stupidities. It is so contradictory and fuzzy that accepting it is absolutely unlogic. No one has the slighest chance to proof the bible right, neither by empiry nor by logic, one can't even argue with probabilities of the bible as a whole being true. In the contrary, daily experience seems to tell us at every instance that many parts of the bible are not congruent with reality.
Yet uncountable people, sages, philosophers and wise kings have accepted christianity to be the only truth which explains the world we're living in. If they did so despite all the contradictions there must be something so deep in their hearts, an enlightenment which is deeply rooted in the essence of their minds which can be nothing less than the ultimate and unquestionable driving force of our universe, the eternal Christian God.

To quote Friedrich Nietzsche: 'A casual stroll through a lunatic asylum will demonstrate that faith proves nothing'. Faith is a psychological/neurochemical phenomenon, and there is no reason to think anything other. Religion is nothing but a play on loopholes in the human psyche.
Old November 10, 2002, 14:46   #30
Verto
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildNationStatesMac
King

Local Time: 05:45
How offensive.

Try to have a little respect for another's beliefs.