Old November 10, 2002, 09:35   #1
twilight
Chieftain

Local Time: 10:46
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Firaxis Please a change for new patch
Simply one thing: Right click on a buch of units, then there is a list. On the bottom of the list are the points "wake all" and "Fortify all", could you do change this to the top? If you ever walked with 100 units in a stack through the world you know what I mean. The scrolling is disgusting ;-)

Oh, yes, another one: When you move a whole stack of Infantry and Cavalry, then the Cavalry has a movement point more, then it would be cool to have a button to simply stop their movement immediatly without space for every units. That takes long on the one hand, on the other it always happens, that other units are "spaced" too, because I push Space further and further and further and further and then the Cavalry is at an end and other units want to move, but the Space button was pushed too long. YOu know what I mean.
Old November 10, 2002, 14:19   #2
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 03:46
Having a stack list SORTED in a meaningful way would be nice, too. Armies/Transports with their load directly underneath them; other units either sorted by type or by (...?) [some understood method].

twilight, You aren't supposed to have stacks that big. That's why they make it cumbersome: to discourage you from doing so.
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old November 10, 2002, 14:32   #3
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 12:46
sorted by type would be welcome
I don't understand why this hasn't happened yet either, it seems logical to me
Old November 10, 2002, 19:15   #4
twilight
Chieftain

Right. And another Thing: Regicide is weird. The computer never moves its king (even, when Hundreds if units standing before his Capital) and to win you need after developing of nuclear weapons: nations x 1 Nuke. Fast game.

ONly for Multiplayer, hm? But it must be possible to teach the ai the same, or am I wrong?
Old November 10, 2002, 19:29   #5
twilight
Chieftain

I forgot those ones:

After one game with several patches and an Add-on it is not yet possible to look into following stuff:

-Tributes: I pay how much to whoever for how long?? And the same for tributes on myself.

-Palace: Why the heck it is impossible to see the palace at your will? Or is there a hidden button I never found?

-Where are the demographics and the five greatest cities? Where can I see, where the wonders are build? Perhaps this is important for my decision what City I shut conquer?

Where are the buttons???
Old November 10, 2002, 19:31   #6
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 05:46
I agree with the wake all at the top of the list

would be very very helpful

Old November 10, 2002, 19:38   #7
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Twilight, you might wanne play around with the F(unction) keys abit
Old November 10, 2002, 19:39   #8
Xcare87X
Settler

I would personally appreciate having (on the right-click menu) a "Fortify all units of type:" and "Wake all units of type:" Which lets you fortify, for instance, all of the infantry in a city, and continue to move all of the cavalry. Or, for instance, you could wake all of the cavalry in a city that you have been making them in, and leave all of the infantry there, fortified. I believe that the addition of these buttons would be hugely beneficial, and make the game easier to manage.

Thanks,
Xcare87X
Old November 10, 2002, 21:07   #9
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

f11 = top 5 cities / demographics
f7 = wonders (IIRC)

stuff like that.
Old November 11, 2002, 07:33   #10
aahz_capone
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesApolyton UniversityDiplomacy
Prince

Local Time: 11:46
I'm all for arranging the right click menu (how is it that the SMAC one was so cool?) Just arranging the unit in order of type would be good enough. In a stack with 20 pikemen, 20 knights, all different strengths and som in an army and some not, so fortfied and some not,it gets very messy without organization.
Old November 11, 2002, 09:13   #11
Adm.Naismith
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Jaybe
Having a stack list SORTED in a meaningful way would be nice, too. Armies/Transports with their load directly underneath them; other units either sorted by type or by (...?) [some understood method].
Armies and Transports really NEEDS to have their joined/loaded units better related. @Jaybe
About others sort method I suppose it should be useful to have them sorted by type and than by experience (elite, veteran, etc.) or remaining Hit Points, but anyone will have different preference, so I think someone will ever complain

Also I think that unit that already have spent all their movement should be grayed out into the "right click" list, so I can avoid unnecessary try & see on every units (quite frequent if I pause or save a game in the middle of a turn).
Old November 11, 2002, 14:03   #12
twilight
Chieftain

@alva and uberkrux: Hm. THanks for the help. SHortkeys reading would have helped.

@Adm.Naismith: Could be an option in the prefeerences or simple a button near the "Move whole Stack buttons". So everbody would be content.

It must also be possible to fortify only a part of the units in a giant stack. So if you have 80 good Armors and 20 damaged Armors, so it must be possible to fortify only the 20 without moving them. One click must be enough.

Second point also very good.

And another changing tips:

-after killing the last king in regicide/reg.mass the whole empire of the ai is destroyed. Okay, I find it quite disturbing, but okay, Firaxis' decision (could'nt they be barbarians?). But the destruction of the empire begins BEFORE the checking of changing ownership, I mean you conquer the city with the last king and in the same moment the rest ist destroyed, the city that you have conquered, too! Please change that.

-The ai is not able to win nuclear wars, they ever had only few Nukes and only throw it at cities, even when 200 Armors are standing near his cities in the field. I would use them there ;-)
It would be also very nice, when he would try to kill your kings, but only when it is possible to defend them from that. How about a (sorry, don't know the right term) place, down in the ground, where people go, who won't be killed by a nuclear weapon. A kind of anti-nuclear fortress. Terrain on that location is destroyed as usual, but not the units in the fortress or the fortress itself. Perhaps only infantry is saved or something like that. Only an idea.

-Worker's problem. The workers must be stopped by another nation's territory. The problem is simple. I am not the typ only widing my home territory I also like it to conquer far away territories as kind of colonies. But my automatic workers ever try to move through the whole continent to build the infrastructure in these colonies. Same thing, when your cutural influence goes further and further and then you have influence on another half-isle (you know, coast between your own isle and another, but both are linked). There is no use in bulding infrastructere there, it is only a bonus for another nation, because there is a high chance that these locations will change ownership as soon as anybody build a city near that.
What about a worker-stop-point? You could place them as you wish and your workers never go further than that.

But perhaps this is a game's problem? The ai ever tries to go thorugh your land, when you aks them to go away or declare war, they do that. I don't think that he had intended that, he only wanted to go through your territory. Perhaps all units have the problem, that they ignore other territories? Perhaps they could be teached to respect them? Less wars is the effect I think.
Old November 11, 2002, 16:36   #13
aahz_capone
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesApolyton UniversityDiplomacy
Prince

yeah, workers of AI and under automatic (thus AI) control are a nutty bunch.

I think nuclear shelters are a nice building to build with the advance of smart weapons. gonna start work on the editor....

Is it my alcohol pickled mind or do I remeber much better use of nukes in SMAC? I seem to recall them (or the fungus weapons) being used on my armies and navies.
Old November 11, 2002, 17:29   #14
Purple
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Adm.Naismith
Also I think that unit that already have spent all their movement should be grayed out into the "right click" list, so I can avoid unnecessary try & see on every units (quite frequent if I pause or save a game in the middle of a turn).
YES! This would save so many clicks!

I would also like to activate the right-click popup, or better, some graphic representation of the units on a given tile, by a keyboard command.

Seem to me that this could work the way it does when the active unit is on a city tile and you hit Enter, opening the City Screen. Hitting Enter when the active unit is on a non-city tile could display all the units on that tile.
Old November 11, 2002, 17:38   #15
Trifna
King

Local Time: 18:46
Simple thing: make so the AI upgrades!!! Counts so much:
1- for artificial INTELLIGENCE
2- immersion
Old November 11, 2002, 19:10   #16
Switch
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by aahz_capone
how is it that the SMAC one was so cool?
I agree. But it also had all of the unit commands in the menu too, so you didn't have to memorize a load of hotkeys.

THat's what I want back.
Old November 12, 2002, 11:26   #17
Adm.Naismith
King

Quote:
Originally posted by aahz_capone
Is it my alcohol pickled mind or do I remeber much better use of nukes in SMAC? I seem to recall them (or the fungus weapons) being used on my armies and navies.
Well, in SMAC Planet Busters (IIRC the SMAC name for nukes) left great holes on the planet landscape, to the point you should "terraforming" it down to sea level

Many players tried to reduce a mostly continental planet to a waterworld just for fun.

A bit excessive on Civ III realistic background, and quite difficult to implement in a flat map

IIRC the AI tried to use "nukes" mostly on critical, full of "wonders" cities. It seems to me that stack of units was a secondary target, if not when you used units line to shield a target (ground units still stopped air units movement, like in Civ II).
Anyway, using the biggest planet buster you should have a "near miss" of a couple of tiles and still take away a big bunch of enemy terrain with units, cities and everything else.
Old November 12, 2002, 11:37   #18
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

"wake all" and "fortify all" on the top of the list
list sorted by type (then by experience or remaining Hit Points; thanks Admiral)

*sigh*: stacked bombardment !
--Woody Allen
Old November 12, 2002, 11:40   #19
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Quote:
Great idea. So simple and yet so great !
--Woody Allen
Old November 12, 2002, 11:47   #20
Adm.Naismith
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Tiberius
Great idea. So simple and yet so great !
Thanks, and I haven't to do any effort to discover it: it's already standard GUI rule in Apple MAC and Windows since many years ago.
Old November 12, 2002, 18:12   #21
planetfall
Prince

Firaxis RFE request
Twilight,

You forgot, besides moving WakeAll && FortifyAll to top of list, please, please, please add an easier way to handle large stacks.

I hate scrolling and scrolling thru long lists to wake up a couple of units at the bottom, or to have to go to the bottom of the list to HurryProduction.

How about this:

1. Option to keep list up so don't have to reopen list to wake 3 units.

2. Sort units by name and then by M.A.D values

3. Have at the top of list the most common selections:
-- wake all
-- fortify all
-- change production
-- hurry production

4. All chosing multiple units to wake at same time. You know the old MS Control-MouseClick

== PF
Old November 12, 2002, 18:52   #22
Adm.Naismith
King

Re: Firaxis RFE request
Quote:
Originally posted by planetfall
How about this:
1. Option to keep list up so don't have to reopen list to wake 3 units.
AFAIK, in vanilla Civ III (I don't own PTW) you can right click to open the menu, then you must keep pressed the shift key, while selecting every units you want to wake up. Not well documented, still useful IMHO.

Is it the feature that you want?
Old November 13, 2002, 11:30   #23
planetfall
Prince

Re: Re: Firaxis RFE request
Quote:

AFAIK, in vanilla Civ III (I don't own PTW) you can right click to open the menu, then you must keep pressed the shift key, while selecting every units you want to wake up. Not well documented, still useful IMHO.

Is it the feature that you want?
YEAH! it also works in PTW.

Now if they would just sort the stack list by unit. It is hard to count units in buildup stack. For example now I have 6 carriers, 2/3rds loaded, bunch of BS and DS and couple AEGIS and X transports on one tile. Getting difficult to see how many carriers/transports/BS are available. Right now I don't want to know about aircraft just ships. Not easy to get an accurate count. DDay is coming up and want to be sure have more than enough strenth to survive counterattack. Radar towers make sea invasions a bit more dicey. Come to think about it perhaps I need to actually use some marines to take out the tower.

Thanks for the info

== PF
Old November 14, 2002, 02:25   #24
Tiberius
Emperor

This is from another thread, but since this is becoming the unofficial thread for desired changes in a future patch, here it comes:

- replay option for PBEM/hotseat games

Right now, you can't see what has happened in between your turns (at least so I've heard ) To quote a PtW player: "hotseat does not give ANY alerts of what has happened. For example, if a country declares war on you, there is no message that tells you. When one of your cities is conquered, there is no alert to tell you, same for nuclear attacks. Units just "disappear" when they are killed, and the player has no idea what happened."
To read the hotseat thread click here
--Woody Allen
Old November 14, 2002, 03:14   #25
Bolt
Chieftain

Ruins should be removed after 1000 years or so (and/or with a worker action), now there is ruins everywhere.
Old November 14, 2002, 03:24   #26
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Bolt, ruins ARE removed with a worker action.
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old November 14, 2002, 06:58   #27
Adm.Naismith
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Bolt
... now there is ruins everywhere.
How many wars did you had? And is it razing cities so popular, in PTW?

BTW, using a worker can remove ruin for a terrain improvement AFAIK, but I'm not sure if you can order to clean up the mess and restore the tile to its "virgin" status (i.e. like Clean up pollution).
Old November 14, 2002, 10:31   #28
planetfall
Prince

Re: Re: Re: Firaxis RFE request
Quote:
Originally posted by planetfall

YEAH! it also works in PTW.
Update-- works SOME of the time. Does not work with a long stack of: jets/bomb/stealth/radar art/mech/MA.

BUG-- move carrier and bombers do not show moves left. You can send them on missions after selection but until select don't know if they were moved before carrier moved or if they still have moves left.

re ruins: ugly but realistic addition to city abandonment in PTW, cleaned up by mine/irrigate and not counted as pollution.

== PF
Old November 14, 2002, 11:11   #29
twilight
Chieftain

Another ugly thing I noticed in the editor. My english is too bad to explain that, so I give only the example, you will know what I mean:

You change the techs in the editor, there are the four windows for the four possible needed techs. When you are in one of these windows you can use some keys to switch to certain techs. You press "a" and the next would be "alphabet". Problem: If you want to change a modern tech and press "a", you will get the message that it is not possible to do that, because alphabet is an ancient knowledge. Okay, I know. But what when you want to press this button several times to get to "aircraft"?

This is a normal service in some programms, Firaxis tried this to do too, but it doesn't work because the editor checks the input while the player is only scrolling through the list, so it checks an imaginary input before a REAL input.

Oh dear, this english is very bad. I have a bad day I think, but you know what I mean. Do you? ;-/
Old November 14, 2002, 12:16   #30
Bolt
Chieftain

If you play elimination all the cities will be raized -thats why there are so many of them. Don't you think ruins will be owergrown by vegitation after 1000 years?