Old March 7, 2000, 15:34   #1
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 22:39
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Do I buy Alien Crossfire or not?
Here in Brazil, SMACX was only released a few weeks ago, but I still don't know if I should buy it or not - I own the original SMAC. So I'd like to know if it really improves on SMAC, and how. Are the new factions and units really interesting?
Thanks for the input.
Old March 7, 2000, 16:04   #2
YT

I would reccommend buying SMACX. Make sure you download the V2 patch though. I think its great to have more factions to play with. In addition, I think they added some much needed SP and base facilities in the expansion. The tech tree has been rearranged to accomadate some new techs, which is kinda cool too. About the only problem I have is the power of the new Alien factions.

Old March 7, 2000, 16:51   #3
TigToad
Prince

Local Time: 18:39
Absolutely worth it. The new factions are fun, but not the real emphasis of the game. The new techs, kinds of native life, SP's and such are all excellent (Just wait till you build the airbase academy and wonder how you ever lived without it--aerospace complex in each base). Grin.

Tig
Old March 8, 2000, 00:45   #4
edgecrusher

i like the new landmarks, and the alien units hae a more streamlined look to them.
[This message has been edited by edgecrusher (edited March 07, 2000).]

Old March 8, 2000, 11:09   #5
Master Marcus
Prince

Local Time: 20:39
Buy it & download the v2 patch: the upgrades are interesting and rendering the original game more complex AND fun. And try the Pirates.

------------------
The art of mastering:"la Maîtrise des caprices du subconscient avant tout".
Old March 8, 2000, 11:16   #6
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 21:39
And then download the crack at GameCopyWorld.com and use the executable they include in the zip file instead of the one that comes in version 2- this way you won't have to insert the CD into your CD-ROM drive to play.
Old March 8, 2000, 15:35   #7
Chowlett
Alpha Centauri PBEM
King

Local Time: 01:39
Local Date: October 31, 2010
My local EB still hasn't got a copy of SMAX
Old March 8, 2000, 23:22   #8
EternalSpark
Spore
Prince

Is there anything online that I can find that basically says everything about SMAX? Like, I recently heard about "the Unity Wreckage" and some of the new SPs and stuff, and I'd like to basically read all the new/improved stuff from SMAC before buying it. Yes, I can just buy it, but my Best Buy doesn't have it and I'm the kinda person who likes to know every little detail about the game before I buy it.
Old March 9, 2000, 12:02   #9
ir
Chieftain

Why I have not bought SMACX.

1. New factions too powerful.

2. New factions are mostly unballanced compare to older ones. Well, you can play with superfactions but that is not interesting. Some stupid abilities like directing research for Progenitors when it set on blind, ect., make new game very easy.

3. New secret projects TOO CHEAP. Cloudbase Academy is cheaper than Cyborg Factory.. Nonsence IMO.

Maybe I'll buy it coz':

1. HSA lost its ultimate power.

2. It's interesting to build on sea like on ground. All these facilities like Aquafarm ect. are cool.

I'm not sure if I buy it. Maybe yes, maybe no. Rather yes but in half an year or year Why spend money on unbalanced game?
[This message has been edited by ir (edited March 09, 2000).]
Old March 9, 2000, 14:48   #10
Alinestra Covelia
ACDG The Human HiveRise of Nations Multiplayer
Queen

Local Time: 21:39
Strange that you should say the new factions are too powerful. That's exactly what I thought when I first got it, but to tell you the truth, I have changed my opinion.

They playtested the new factions to death when they added them, and as far as I can tell they've done an accurate job. I'm right now playing the Hive vs all new factions (Angels, Cult, Usurpers, Caretakers, Consciousness, Drones) and have destroyed three of them and have the other three at bay.

The new base facilities are nice, and the ability to terraform sea (not to mention the tweaks to the tech tree and armor/weapons) made SMAX a must buy for me. I don't regret buying it at all.

Then again, I'm the sort of person who tried four tequilas consecutively for kicks and refused to admit I regretted that. Not even when I was speaking on the big white telephone later.

------------------
"In all creation, there can be no task more onerous or tedious than that of playing God." - Stephen Fry, 'The Liar'.
Old March 9, 2000, 17:34   #11
ir
Chieftain

Good points Try Morgan next time

Actually, in the demo UoP was the easiest faction to play IMO. Anyway, human can win even w/ huge handicaps. Ares(?) once posted how he won in the game (TI of course) where near all AI factions had +2 industry and +2 growth

Well, what about projects?
Cloudbase Academy.... Project that increases morale of all air units, doubles defense vs. air attacks and allows lunching orbital facilities MUST be much much more expensive.

If they removed pop boom from CV's properties it would be even better.... No negatives from power and thought control more than enougth.
Old March 9, 2000, 19:23   #12
Omega
Settler

Alexnm, I'd say there are three reasons why you might want to buy the expansion pack:

1) If you like probe team action. SMAC-X gives you a new facility (the "Covert Ops Center") that adds +2 morale to probe teams produced there, and gives the base a +2 probe rating. Then there's a secret project (the "Nethack Nexus") that gives you a free Covert Ops Center at every base. Finally, there's a new unit ability ("Algorithmic Enhancement") that halves probe team failure rates and allows you to penetrate the Hunter-Seeker Algorithm. The new "Data Angel" faction has probe-related special abilities and bonuses.

2) If you like native unit/psi combat. SMAC-X gives you a new facility (the "Brood Pit") that works like a Children's Creche for native units; I think it also increases the police rating of the base. There are new weapons and armor that have normal ratings plus they confer a 25% bonus when attacking or defending against psi units. Best of all, there are two new native life forms you can breed; one has the abilities of an artillery unit and the other has the abilities of a submarine. The new "Cult of the Planet" faction can really steamroll everyone else with native units on a fungus-heavy map. The "Manifold Harmonics" secret project, which comes late in the game, makes fungus production skyrocket if you have a high planet rating.

3) If you're bored with land-based empires and you like "Waterworld" maps. The new "Pirates" faction has special abilities related to sea colonization and naval warfare. There are also new facilities that increase production from sea improvements.

There are other aspects to the expansion pack, of course, but I'd say that if none of the above interests you, you might be disappointed by SMAC-X.