Old November 10, 2002, 21:21   #1
ffej
Settler

Local Time: 05:47
Local Date: November 1, 2010
HELP! Game not using the preferences I set.
I am having a big problem now with my preferences, and am wondering if anyone out there has a solution.

Basically, my preferences are not being used in a multiplayer game. Stuff like "Wait at end of turn" and "Ask before new unit construction" hasnt been working. Even now, I tried to turn the damn music off.....didn't work. The preferences says music and stuff are toggled a certain way, but I am not seeing it in game.

Anyone have any ideas? And YES I am clicking "Save preferences button at the bottom" and YES I patched it to 1.04

Ffej

*added note* My preferences work correctly in single player mode.
Old November 10, 2002, 22:49   #2
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

all the buttons are messed up. the buttons don't do what they say, they do somethine else. there was a news item about the "color blind help", but they're all like that. i gave up looking for that "always build previously built unit" and have to switch it every other turn.
Old November 10, 2002, 23:03   #3
ffej
Settler

Wow.....really?

Thats really messed up.

Anyone know what does what? Like a good chart or something? If I figger it out, ill throw it on here.

Ffej
Old November 11, 2002, 01:36   #4
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

The bugs make the game almost unplayable. To manage a huge empire when building instructions are not met creates a huge disaster.

I decided to stop until they (firaxis) iron few stuff out. I cant take the frustration right now.
Old November 11, 2002, 02:05   #5
ducki
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?Apolyton University
King

Local Time: 04:47
Quote:
Originally posted by UberKruX
all the buttons are messed up. the buttons don't do what they say, they do somethine else. there was a news item about the "color blind help", but they're all like that. i gave up looking for that "always build previously built unit" and have to switch it every other turn.
Do you have a link that backs this up?
The preferences seem to work for me.
Is this only in MP?

Do they work right if you set them again after loading the SAV or Scenario file?

I've set "Always renegotiate" and "Always confirm build orders" and not "Disable Civil Disorder" and they all seem to work just fine.

I know I've got other items set as well, those are just the ones I recall.

Where did you read about those all being messed up?

Thanks!
Old November 11, 2002, 02:08   #6
Captain THC
Chieftain

I've had the same problem. Yet another testament to how bad this game is.

Firaxis has basically released an over-priced, glorified patch which was far from finished. Shame on them.
Old November 11, 2002, 02:19   #7
ffej
Settler

Yes, I'll have to say I'm not too happy with this expansion pack, especially since I (perhaps we) went through almost all of these same problems this time last year when Civ3 was released. One headache after another it seems.

Do these guys do a beta at all? I really don't know, but most of these problems seem to be a result of lack of testing and feedback from the general population.

I believe they need to set up a system so that we can report bugs easily so that they can be addressed, and that they can finally nip these problems in the bud. Nothing is worse than getting all excited over a patch to find out it didn't even fix 1/2 the bugs you find in the game.

Gee.....look at me rant. hehe

If anyone out there has a solutions (temporary is fine) for this damn preferences bug, please post it here. That is the only real bug I have seen in this game, other than the 1/2 of forever it takes to load a multiplayer the game, and then the other 1/2 of forever to play it. *I shudder to think of this game on a dial-up connection*

Don't get me wrong, I would love to spend forever playing this, if I wouldn't get annoyed and faults that were not my own doing.

Ffej
Old November 11, 2002, 02:19   #8
ducki
King

Have you guys tried tech support already?
Yeah, I know, Infogrames Tech support blahblahblah.

Still, there's a lot of people not experiencing these problems. Maybe the three of you on this thread that have the same problem can swap system specs, hardware, what software you're running in the background, etc. and figure out what is common amongst yourselves.

I've only had one "problem" with PtW - sometimes trying to play from an old Civ3 SAV file will crash PtW.

That's it. So these bugs you guys are seeing must be a bit less... ubiquitous than they seem to you.

If you want to try troubleshooting, I'll be glad to swap system info and running software info to see if we can find what's causing it for you guys.

If not, gripe to your heart's content.
Old November 11, 2002, 02:25   #9
ffej
Settler

Really? Yeah, I figure if a lot of other people had these problems, there would be more info.

My system specs are

Athlon 1.2GHz
512DDR
1 20GB HD and 1 80GB HD
SBAudigy Gamer
GeForce3 Ti200 w/ 64MB
Cable
WinXP Pro

Game runs like a champ, no crashes or nothing, but just this damn preferences problem. Any ideas I will be willing to try. I installed the Orig and patched it up to 1.29 long ago, and then installed PTW, and then patched that up to 1.04.

Perhaps it has something to do with the ptw.ini file? Maybe you could post yours on here, so I can compare, think its in the PTW directory under the Civ3 directory

Ffej
Old November 11, 2002, 02:53   #10
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

it's in MP and tons of people report it.
Old November 11, 2002, 03:07   #11
ducki
King

Well, if it's only MP, I can't help unless I try an MP game, and I'm no fan of MP anything, really.

Here's my system as best I can recall, for an example of one not experiencing this in SP.
Alienware - Pentium 1.7G, 512 RAM, GeForce3 64 Meg (Detonator 12.89 Drivers, IIRC.), SBLive, WinXP Home.
I run LiveJournal for Windows 1.4.6 and ZoneAlarm 2.6.357 in the background as well as the occasional IE window and notepad sometimes.
Civ 1.29f and PtW 1.04(I think that's also "f", but not sure).

If, as UberKruX reports, it's MP only, then my setup may not matter, since I only got PtW for the SP enhancements.

HTH