Old March 3, 2000, 11:52   #1
Master Marcus
Prince

Local Time: 20:39
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Fungal & Tectonic: any real use ?
I wonder if any conqueror player out there is still using these expensive payloads? In fact the way less expensive terraforming methods can give you the same results, unless you really want to give some altitude & fungals to your opponents in a multiplayer.

However in a single regular game, when I reach the N-space comp the struggle is almost settled and the cost $$$ is ridiculously high for the real power brought by these missiles.

Has someone developed a killer strategy with the giant bananas, or are they up only for esoteric fun ?
Anyway hybrid/builder players don't need them.

------------------
The art of mastering:"la Maîtrise des caprices du subconscient avant tout".
Old March 3, 2000, 12:27   #2
Travathian
Warlord

Local Time: 17:39
Honestly, I've found very limited use for either of these.

The tectonic one is kinda nice to destroy landmarks in opponents teritory.
Old March 3, 2000, 14:49   #3
TeknoMerc
Chieftain

Local Time: 01:39
Local Date: October 31, 2010
one cool thing about the fungus payload is to disrupt enemy production. if you don't care about taking an enemy base, the fungus missle will wipe out all the terraform improvements. i am disappointed about the limited number of squares a missle can effect....

the tectonic missle only helps an enemy by improving their mines....

TeknoMerc
Old March 3, 2000, 14:57   #4
TigToad
Prince

Local Time: 18:39
I like an occassional tectonic missles to disrupt their navy. If I see an enemy base with 2 or 3 boats in it or near it..raising that land is lots of fun. I've used it in a huge map MP game to create a land bridge when the opponent got the WP. Also, nice for raising terrain where I want an energy park to expand to..but mostly their just toys.

Never really found a use for the fungus missle.

Tig
Old March 3, 2000, 15:59   #5
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Cost implications aside and yes they are pretty darn expensive.

Fungals two and 1/2 purposes.

1) In combo with XenoDome, preland invasion or as an attempt to stimy an invasion. Drop a fungal to make your own fungal road while miring your opponents.

2) If against Morgan(or anyone in FM) or an opponent with a energy park drop one there.

2.5) Late game when fungus out performs forests Esp with Manifold SP use to instantly fungal bomb your own bases.

But all in all I agree most of these can be accomplished with formers/superformers. It just sometimes the element of surprise is worth it.

Tectonics - Don't see what they really benefit you unless you want to raise something up pretty far away from your nearest base they're not cost effective. (again I guess the element of surprise)
Old March 4, 2000, 11:01   #6
Master Marcus
Prince

Thanks for the replies; you have just covered what we can do effectively with those big missles.

I think the Fungal could have been a more "disruptive" toy ( maybe like the creators have originally thought ) if more squares were affected, like a PB. Imagine a R:4 Fungal detonating and spreading on a 3 squares radius next to the impact square. With a lot more natives ( like 25+ ) of a Demon Boil status... at least something WORTH the cost.
Old March 6, 2000, 23:56   #7
EternalSpark
Spore
Prince

I'm guessing this is a SMAX weapon, since I ain't ever seen it?

------------------
Eternal Spark
As you command, Megatron...
Old March 7, 2000, 15:55   #8
Kinjiru
lifer
The Courts of Candle'BreCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-LeagueMacSpore
King

Yes these are smax only. I love the fungal missiles.

Did find Yang until late in the game and then notice he has 10 size 16 bases in the Monsoon Jungle? Well, send a few fungal missiles in there and within 2 turns all improvements are gone and all the defenders are wiped out by the worms and locuts.

Svensgaard founded a bunch of bases in the freshwater sea or geothermals? Send in a few fungal missiles or tectonic missiles to the land nearest those bases and you get the same effect.

These missiles are very expensive but they are so so so much fun. Not that MP games often get that far, but I would LOVE to drop a few fungal missiles on another builder. Can you imagine the cackling when someones carefully optimized core bases get slaughtered by a few Fungal missiles!
Old March 9, 2000, 15:37   #9
MosesPresley
Prince

I use the tectonic missles on my own territory. I find them to be more construction oriented, rather than destruction oriented.
Old March 9, 2000, 17:45   #10
Jasonian
King

Fungal missiles are AWESOME! I was at war with a very highly developed and advanced Caretaker country, and they were invading from across the oceans. A few fungal missiles right into their core bases stopped them cold! Roads were destroyed! Citizens starved! Support went WAY negative, so units blew up! The mind worms and fungal towers caused them real trouble.

A fun use of the techtonic missile is against the pirates (or a faction with a large navy). Plop a few down near their sea bases and *poof!* Now they're supporting a huge navy that can't even leave their bases! Bwa ha ha...
Old March 12, 2000, 14:21   #11
Qualiciide

Thats hilarius Jasonian,
The use of the tectonic missiles is to launch them to the left of the oppents base that has alot of farms and no forrests, voila! no food!

Old March 13, 2000, 21:15   #12
Omega
Settler

Tectonic missiles are particularly great for dealing with those sea bases that tend to build up around the poles, far away from the reach of your air units and inaccessible to your orbiting drop units.
Old March 16, 2000, 08:59   #13
Christopher
Warlord

The use of such missiles allways depend on what faction I am playing and what tactics I have choosen.
But I try to keep a tectonic or two at hand for those pesky seaunits.
The fungus payload however are far more useful. Consider having the fungus-movement bonus SP and a couple of fungus payloads. Not only do you destroy the enemy's production but you are making your own personal and private highway between his cities.

Chris