Old November 11, 2002, 22:08   #1
D4everman
Prince

Local Time: 10:52
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Just got PTW. my rambling thoughts
Dammit! I forgot to turn off the cultural victory thingie. I really just wanted a spaceship win.

Well, anyway, here's my 2 cents on PTW so far. Admittedly not much as far as 2 cents go but what the hell...

I didn't want a culture victory and thought I had little chance of it...I didn't get any of the early wonders...well except for the Great Library. The AI beat me to the punch with all of 'em. (as the Iroqious at warlord level...yeah, I know, I suck) It wasn't until the GL that I could even keep up with the AI. I was surrounded by mostly jungle so I had to make a lot of workers to clear it, instead of military forces.

When a civ is destroyed do they continue in the game as long as one unit escapes? The english were swallowed whole by the Americans and ceased to exist. But the egyptians were also crushed by the combined might of the Americans and the Greeks but continued in the diplomacy screen til the endgame. I couldn't find ONE egyptian city on the map (and they had none listed in the diplomacy screen) but Cleo was still around and even forged alliances with other civs.

I thought that the new civs would be a little different. Given the fact that most of us only know the name Hannibal as a great military leader (or a character on the A-Team) the carthaginians were laid back. The never even lifted a sword against me, though I expected them to attack any moment. (unlike civ2 where the carthaginians were my hated enemy....and hey, wasn't Hannibal a black guy?) The only other new civs in my game were the arabs, the spanish and the mongols. The mongol leader is ugly, the spanish leader looks kinda like Alanis Morrisette and the arabs didn't bother me until they joined an alliance with the zulus forcing me to take some of their cities.

Its both refreshing and kind of boring when the other civs don't get mad.....I mean, I took a lead in technology in the middle ages and once I got to the industrial age I ran with it. Every so often I'd trade a lesser advance to a rival but only to make them pay me some money per turn and to get some luxuries. That seemed to placate them. I thought that my lead would really piss the AI off so I made sure my borders were well guarded. It was a bit of a let down when they didn't do anything. (after the culture victory I kept playing and started a war just to get it out of my system.) I didn't actually want a war, but I got bored for a bit.

Though the AI has toned it down they still build cities in your territory a lot. The Celts....oops forgot about them...built a city amidst mine just to claim some iron. Amazing it didn't flip to me even though it was surrounded by my higher culture.

All in all it was a lot of fun...but I'd enjoy your thoughts on the game. Hey the only way to learn is through discussion.
Old November 11, 2002, 22:32   #2
bartdanr
CTP2 Source Code Project
Chieftain

Quote:
I thought that the new civs would be a little different. Given the fact that most of us only know the name Hannibal as a great military leader (or a character on the A-Team) the carthaginians were laid back. The never even lifted a sword against me, though I expected them to attack any moment. (unlike civ2 where the carthaginians were my hated enemy....and hey, wasn't Hannibal a black guy?) The only other new civs in my game were the arabs, the spanish and the mongols. The mongol leader is ugly, the spanish leader looks kinda like Alanis Morrisette and the arabs didn't bother me until they joined an alliance with the zulus forcing me to take some of their cities.
I expected Hannibal to look like Anthony Hopkins...
Old November 11, 2002, 22:36   #3
NeOmega
Prince

Local Time: 02:52
you must destroy all settlers before a civ is wiped out. I remember one game I played where a Russian galley sailed the seas for about 200 years until it finally founded a new city in a little pocket of uninhabited territory.

Play higher levels, and the AI will attack you on sight sometimes.
Old November 12, 2002, 00:06   #4
Patroklos
Emperor

Cathaginians are not really a unique civ, just a trading city of the Phoenecian civ. It just so happens when the rest of the Phonecians were conquered Carthage remained independent because of its distance from the rest. So the "Cathaginians" are really just the advanced Phnecians, the only ones allowed to keep developing. Thats why Hannibal isn't black.