Old November 11, 2002, 23:25   #1
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 05:52
Local Date: November 1, 2010
SMC Campaign Thread
Current Candidates (will be updated tomorrow to add any last-minute contenders):

Thud

---------------

Thud, please post your thoughts on running for Supreme Military Commander. Citizens, please ask (and any additional candidates that enter the race) him questions.

For referenece, job description of the SMC:

2 The Supreme Military Commander
(a) The Supreme Military Commander controls all units except settlers and workers.
(b) The Supreme Military Commander controls only the movement of Great Leaders, however he or she shall move the Great Leader to the city of choosing of the Senate when instructed to do so.
(c) The Supreme Military Commander may disband units under his or her control. A Great Leader may never be disbanded.
(d) The Supreme Military Commander may appoint deputy ministers.
Old November 12, 2002, 05:43   #2
Sean
Prince

Local Time: 10:52
Thud will make an excellent SMC.

Why bother contesting this election.? Any later comers would have alrady proven that they are unorganised. We cannot have such undisciplined people in charge of the military.

Thus gets my vote.
Sean.
Old November 12, 2002, 12:21   #3
Thud
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNever Ending StoriesC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC4BtSDG Templars
Prince

Local Time: 06:52
I'm going to briefly outline my qualifications and position.

First off, what you've all been waiting to hear:

Do I now support war?

I'll be entirely honest. The only good answer I have to this question is another question: Do you support war?

I will act, and act effectively, on the wishes of the Senate. As the SMC I will adopt an objective opinon in public, free of my affiliation with the DIA, and my anti-war sentiment. I will make anaylsis concerning our ability to fight a war and the potential gains of that war, and present plans for wars to the people to vote on. I will enact wars in a manner that will benefit our people and damage our enemies most. Furthermore, I am enirely willing to crush, mangle, and generally pillage any nation when it is requested of me.

I will not resign as President of the DIA, and neither will I encourage change in the DIA's stance. Behind the scenes, I will continue to direct the DIA, and encourage the activity of those voices that speak for peace.

I beleive myself capable of running a war effectively. I will also appoint at least one deputy, and as always, will consult the people when making plans for war.

Last edited by Thud; November 12, 2002 at 12:27.
Old November 12, 2002, 12:47   #4
DAVOUT
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 11:52
A great actor can promise convincingly to do the splits, only a great artist can perform it, and I bet that you are a great artist. Nevertheless, I would think appropriate that during your tenure you abstain any DIA activity, beginning with taking a month leave of your DIA Presidency. I am not suggesting that you repudiate your ideas, just that you do not find yourself in useless difficulties during this term.

Just a friendly advice.
Old November 12, 2002, 14:05   #5
E_T
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG SarantiumCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Based on the current save and the expected Mil Unit builds that will be completed by the end of the GA (end of term), what additional Mil Unit Force Structure Increses do you think that you will require over the following (after GA) 20 to 30 turns?

What is your opinion of Mr. Orange's MilCalc Estimates and if you thought that it was a worthwhile tool, would you use it?

E_T
Old November 12, 2002, 15:12   #6
ruby_maser
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshineC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Local Time: 04:52
Do you think it is possible to explain away the obvious discrepancy between your political leanings and your decision to run for a position which will, hopefully , put you in conflict with those leanings?

Is this a stall tactic on future military campaigns?
"The dogmas of the quiet past are inadequate to the stormy present. The occasion is piled high with difficulty, and we must rise with the occasion. As our case is new, so we must think anew and act anew. We must disenthrall ourselves, and then we shall save our country." -- Abraham Lincoln

"Generations to come will scarce believe that such a one as this ever, in flesh and blood, walked upon this earth." -- Albert Einstein, in regards to Mohandis Gandhi
Old November 12, 2002, 15:44   #7
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

I'm not sure which is more of a shocker:

That the Hawk Party isn't fielding a candidate for SMC or that Thud is running for SMC.
Old November 12, 2002, 16:44   #8
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by joncnunn
I'm not sure which is more of a shocker:

That the Hawk Party isn't fielding a candidate for SMC or that Thud is running for SMC.
I'd pick the former over the later.

Thud would make a responsible SMC. Why on earth the Warmongers can't find an candidate for leader of the military truly surprises me...
Old November 12, 2002, 17:17   #9
Thud
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNever Ending StoriesC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC4BtSDG Templars
Prince

Quote:
Do you think it is possible to explain away the obvious discrepancy between your political leanings and your decision to run for a position which will, hopefully , put you in conflict with those leanings?
Apparantly not.

Quote:
What is your opinion of Mr. Orange's MilCalc Estimates and if you thought that it was a worthwhile tool, would you use it?
I've taken a brief look at the MilCalc. If Mr. Orange convinced me that the MilCalc was a somewhat accurate tool that does not violate the rules of this game, then I would include the data obtained from it in any of my anaylsis.

Quote:
Based on the current save and the expected Mil Unit builds that will be completed by the end of the GA (end of term), what additional Mil Unit Force Structure Increses do you think that you will require over the following (after GA) 20 to 30 turns?
We're going to have to increase our naval carrying capacity and firepower. This will include continuing to build galleons, as well as a couple of iron clads.

Soon we'll have riflemen. Upgrade to those, and build a few new ones. Build an additional small force of calvary for each administrative region, including the capitol area, as any naval invasion would most likely be laucned from that area.

I'm not sure that we'll be able to get much farther than that stage tech-wise.

Quote:
Is this a stall tactic on future military campaigns?
Absolutely not. I expect to continue where Aggie left off. I am determined to operate according to popular mandate. If the people want to give peace a chance, so much the better, but if we want to go to war, so be it.

As to leaving the party leadership to someone else, the fact that I mentioned it should lead you to believe that I am considering it.

This may be the most contested uncontested election ever.
Old November 12, 2002, 18:27   #10
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Thud's positions do not contradict running for SMC. Being SMC does not mean you support war, it just means you're in charge of the military. Also, the DIA is the Democratic Industrialists of Apolyton. WE are generally dovish but we also support giving power to the people, something Thud is clearly supporting.

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old November 12, 2002, 18:54   #11
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Allow one of the old Hawks to speak up, if you will.

I ask that the DIA members please refrain from openly criticizing the Hawks for actually having lives outside the Demo Game, and I humbly remind them that Aggie is not a member of the Hawks either, in fact, he was quite a peacenick till he felt the reigns of power. This is nothing really new here.

I admit that I briefly thought of running for this. Actually, if I had not been away for so long, and I had seen the sign up sheet, I may have run. However, I only noticed these today, while on a brief rest from my travels that will continue tomorrow through the end of the week. Truth be told, however, I can think of no good reason to oppose Thud as SMC.

His position as DIA head makes no real bearing on his position as the military leader. So he is opposed to war, so what? Is it wrong for the General to not wish to sacrifice the very lives he has been charged with? What matters is that when the General is compelled to go to war, he is capable of doing so with what he has available and with a minimum of losses. Saying that Thud cannot make a decent SMC merely because he is leader of the DIA is like saying I could not have made a decent unbias reporter because I was a very vocal Hawk supporter. I would be proud to support Thud as SMC.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby