Old November 12, 2002, 04:26   #1
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 06:53
Local Date: November 1, 2010
What Brought You Here and To [Enter Favorite Civilization Game Here]
I honestly can't remember when or why I first started playing Civ 2... I think I had seen a few screenshots and heard from a couple people it was cool so I decided to check it out. The rest is history.

As to what brought me to Apolyton, I was over at the Infogrames forums, when a female by the name of Moonsinger talked about how there was a big ol' Civ community over here. I checked it out (the first thread I ever saw was one on a custom community world map for Civ 3) spending a 'voluntary' day off () looking at it and poking around the rest of the site.

So what brought you guys here/to the game that made you come here?
Old November 12, 2002, 05:53   #2
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 20:53
Alpha Centauri came with my computer. I played it for a few weeks, went on the Internet and searched for stuff about it, found a site called "The Arrival", realized that site was dead, kept searching, and wandered in here.
Old November 12, 2002, 06:27   #3
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 21:53
I had heard some vague comments about that "great Civilization game", and saw it in the store one day. Bought it, loved it, was excited some years later when Civ 3 came out. Apolyton was the first site that Firaxis linked to, and here I am today!
Old November 12, 2002, 06:55   #4
Paul Hanson
King

Local Time: 11:53
I got Civ2 for my PC at the beginning of 1999, and after looking around the internet for a while I cam across this place.

Eyewerks - you know you want to visit. No really, you do. Go on, click me.
Old November 12, 2002, 07:18   #5
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 07:53
In 1997, one of my best friends had recently bought Civ2 and told me that I would love the game. I played a few turns one afternoon and got instantly hooked.

I searched the internet for anything Civ related, in 1998, and I found this link to Apolyton... "What an interesting name", I thought.

The rest is history.
Old November 12, 2002, 07:25   #6
TheStinger
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Got civ2 way back.

looked for tips on web found this site
Old November 12, 2002, 08:26   #7
Palaiologos
Civilization II PBEM
King

Local Time: 10:53
All Greek civ players pride themselves of Apolyton " The first Greek civilization site", and i am no exception.

When i linked to the Internet 4-5 months ago the first thing i did was to register here.

I first read about Apolyton on "PC MASTER", a greek computer magazine.

As for the Civ2 game, i bought it around 1997-8.
Old November 12, 2002, 08:47   #8
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

I bought Civ1 in 1992 for the Amiga and it became far and away my favourite game. I bought Civ2 as soon as it came out (1996 IIRC).

I registered here in the August of 1998, about 2 weeks after the merger of the two sites. I mainly stuck to the CtP forum.
Old November 12, 2002, 08:55   #9
Mercator
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 12:53
Back in 1994 we had an extremely lousy computer. While everybody was playing Doom on their 486's, I was stuck with silly platform games. After a little while, I found a friend with a game that did run on my PC: Civilization.

About 3 years later, still playing Civ, another friend got a certain game called Civilization II. I copied it from him, loved it, bought it, started surfing the Internet for Civ2 things, and wound up at sites like TFGC2S, Addicted to Civilization and the Glyph Civ2 site.

After a lot of lurking and downloading, when TFGC2S turned into Apolyton, I registered... And there you have it.
Old November 12, 2002, 09:58   #10
Rasbelin
Emperor

What brought ol' good Rasb here?

Once upon a time there was a sporadic Civ fanatic called "Rasbelin" who registered on the 22nd November 1999 on a site called "Apolyton Civilization Site." The reason why he strolled to Poly was that he was looking for scenarios for Civ II. But as he also noticed that there's exciting forums on this site, he couldn't resist and abstain from creating an account. So that's how I found Poly. Or being more specific, I actually found Poly with AltaVista when I searched for Civ related websites with the keyword: "Civilization II" (could have been Civilization, but I'm quite sure that's how I actually found Poly, even if I have been very unsure since that how I found my way to Poly).

What I did get from my first visit to Poly was the user account I still use, but I also invented my Internet nicknames Rasbelin and Rasbey (however Rasbey is newer and it was invented by some fellow Apolytoner by misstake (a very good misstake, BTW )). From my first visit I got a bunch of great Civ II scenarios and also printed Viking Scribes that I read later that day offline.

Oh, those days were a golden age of Apolyton.
Old November 12, 2002, 11:22   #11
Pandemoniak
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

Local Time: 10:53
Location: of Xanadu, Scottish Section of the Apolyton Must Crush Capitalism Party
I saw light and came in.
Old November 12, 2002, 12:46   #12
Alex
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Pandemoniak
I saw light and came in.
Perfect.
Old November 12, 2002, 12:56   #13
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Local Time: 04:53
Played Civ1 at a friend's house...well, back in elementary school. I liked it, but forgot about it. When I saw Civ2 in a store, though, I remembered how good Civ1 was and got it. I found Apolyton while looking for strategies and scenarios for Civ2 but didn't think much about it. I eventually registered on the forums but didn't post much. Once Call to Power was announced, I eagerly followed it on Apolyton, occasionally posting stuff. After CtP came out, I played it for awhile and sold it, but still came to Apolyton to browse the boards. Eventually, at the beginning of 2001, I started posting more regularly in the off topic. Once Civ3 was announced my posting picked up in that section and I haven't looked back since. Oh yeah, I got this RoN job somewhere in there.
Old November 12, 2002, 13:25   #14
Gangerolf
Prince

civ-> col -> civ2 -> ctp -> civ3

came here looking for info about civ3
Old November 12, 2002, 13:27   #15
Pavlov
Civilization II PBEM
Prince

I got Civ2 Gold for christmas a long time ago. I played it and loved it instantly.

Anyway, some years later at the Europa Universalis forums I heard some guy talk about Apolyton and I thought I would check it out. Now you know.

-Homer Simpson
Old November 12, 2002, 13:53   #16
Paul Hanson
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Sagacious Dolphin
I bought Civ1 in 1992 for the Amiga and it became far and away my favourite game.
Same here. Was playing it akin to walking through treacle with concrete boots on for you, or was that a phenomenon only I experienced?

Eyewerks - you know you want to visit. No really, you do. Go on, click me.
Old November 12, 2002, 13:58   #17
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

I turned off all 'features' so I only had to change disks every ten minutes or so, rather than every 10 seconds.
Old November 12, 2002, 14:23   #18
-Jrabbit
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerMacCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Succession Games
Deity

Local Time: 05:53
Interrupted many a Ming game during various visits to his house, got interested, eventually bought the Mac MGE version of Civ2 about a year ago.

Originally came here to get the MP patch so I could get trounced by my friends online. Now I mostly play SP and in succession games, plus of course the C2DG.

"The Borg are gay." -Drake Tungsten
Old November 12, 2002, 14:59   #19
Zopperoni
Age of Nations TeamApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

The OT sucked me in...and o yea, I liked Civ2 too
Old November 12, 2002, 15:15   #20
tniem
King

I played Civ I way back when. Continued to play it even after the release of Civ II. Really got excited when Sid split to form Firaxis and created SMG! When, AC was being designed I posted on the AC web board and the Firaxis board. They eventually shut that down.

I lurked for a while and then when Civ III was going to be created by Firaxis I joined and posted a ton on this site. Of course, I lost interest in the game after a short time in playing III and so I have moved on to RoN. I would not still be here if it wasn't for the depth of games now covered on Apolyton.
Old November 12, 2002, 15:17   #21
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

CtP scenario hunt.

The hunt ended here.
Old November 12, 2002, 16:21   #22
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

I started playing civ longer ago than I care to remember...I also bought civ2 when it came out, and a bit before SMAC came along I started checking up on the game, after all, the age of the internet allowed me to investigate, so I ended up at alpha.owo. I then ended up here by some convoluted method. The rest is history, or too boring to write

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old November 12, 2002, 18:35   #23
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

Ming told me to "check it out".
Old November 12, 2002, 21:16   #24
Tuberski

Started playing Civ in 93 when I was in the Navy on the Amiga-damn slowwwwww.....

Found Apolyton when SMAC came out or it's predecessor, can't remember which.

I just bothered with the forums this year, I think. But I may have an old login somewhere.

ACK!
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old November 13, 2002, 09:12   #25
DaveV
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Local Time: 06:53
I bought Civ shortly after it came out, based on a very positive review by Jerry Pournelle in Byte magazine. After I bought Civ II, I was hanging out on usenet swapping strategies, when someone posted a link to Apolyton. I've been amazed at the level of intelligence and humor of the posters here.
Old November 13, 2002, 16:27   #26
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

civ1->civ2->SMAC->civ3 (*shudders*)->SMAC
Old November 13, 2002, 19:00   #27
Jethro83
Prince

Local Time: 20:53
Though I did play Civ II and SMAC quite a bit before looking for related material on the net, it wasn't until Civ III was released that I decided to search the net for patches, modpacks and the like. After looking through the list of sites on civ3.com, I found CivFanatics. When I saw the sorts of discussions going on there, I decided to sign up and join in.

After posting there for a few months, I had been reading quite a few references to Apolyton. I showed up here, lurked for a little while and finally decided to register and start posting here as well.
Old November 14, 2002, 04:23   #28
The Pioneer
Prince

Well, I don't excactly remember when I started visiting Apolyton but it was sometime in 2001, because Civ 3's release was imminent and I was looking on the net for Info. Of course, I found many sites about Civilization at that time but the fact that Markos is a countryman of mine made me look at this site more than the others. The rest is history as they say!

So long....
Old November 14, 2002, 04:30   #29
Frozzy
PtWDG2 SunshineNationStatesCall To Power SuperLeague
Emperor

Local Time: 22:53
To Apolyton: Thank god for Google.

To CtP: Thank god for Bargain Bins.
Old November 14, 2002, 13:47   #30
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

hi ,

well civ used to be the only game inwhere you could nuke some-one , .........héhéh ( héy what did you expect ) , ...

no for real ; its a one in its kind , when it came out at last a game where you could do something , a game where you decided the course of your civ , okay it can use trainloads of improvements , even today , but its still the best game ever !

have a nice "civ" day