Old November 14, 2002, 07:46   #31
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Local Time: 12:54
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
I'm running several sites, and yes, some of them are delayed in upgrading, but I do not thread any of my users like you do in this case again.
do you get personal attacks for these delays?

Quote:
Lazarus didn't give any complains about why he had to post it this way. He just posted it.
if he was just posting the article he would not have used the numbering of the Column

if his intentions were innocent he would not have responded to a simple request(i edited the thread title myself cause it he couldnt do it as the 5 min limit had passed. as you might have noticed i left the editing of his post to him) with insults and sarcasm

Quote:
much people are very annoyed by your arrogance and the way you make clear all the time that you are the boss, and how wrong other people are.

Why not just take a look at yourself, and just change that! It's not hard! You can still be the boss and the decision master, but just in a kind nice way.
please show my arrogance, when the first phrase of my first post is this thread is the acceptance of our error in the delay of the Column.

please show my unkindness(if there is such a word) when i have yet to return any personal characterizations to laz
Old November 14, 2002, 07:48   #32
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Local Time: 05:54
Laz

Markos
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old November 14, 2002, 09:44   #33
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 07:54
Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns
Replying to PMs does wonders to let others know what you plan. Even if he was planning that, responding to one of Laz's PMs would have prevented this entire debacle. Not having a just after Laz had posted this thread would have also prevented this entire debacle.
Old November 14, 2002, 10:02   #34
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 21:54
I think peoples basic message to you Markos is for you to show people a certain level of respect. When you respect posters, then that respect will be returned.

Based upon statements made in this thread:
a) The 'article' posted here was destined to be in the Column eventually.
b) Its posting was delayed.
c) Attempts by Laz to contact you failed.

What exactly was the problem with Laz posting this article as though it were an Official Column, seeing as it would eventually be made official? And he was presumably never told that posting it himself was an "offence".

A much better way to handle it would be to say "In the future please do not post articles as an Official Column as we feel that this . . ." and perhaps even follow this with a small note that the column will be officially posted when time permits. Yes, it takes more than a few seconds to think of and type this sort of reply, but can you honestly say that the current approach has taken less time?

If you will note, the personal characterization occured well after the fact, and were based on what occured in the thread.
Old November 14, 2002, 10:08   #35
MarkG
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

if only someone could find a self-whiping smiley...
i could add it to the forums and then make a post full of it to show how sorry i am for not being able to reply to every mail i get and post the column every week. and then (some of) you might just feel a bit better and (possibly) forgive me for my inefficiency and arrogance...
Old November 14, 2002, 10:21   #36
MarkG
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

cross-posted the above...

Quote:
I think peoples basic message to you Markos is for you to show people a certain level of respect.
my work is the way i show my respect to our visitors

Quote:
When you respect posters, then that respect will be returned.
did Laz show respect when he posted his article as an official Column? imho he did not.

Quote:
And he was presumably never told that posting it himself was an "offence".
posting the article himself anywhere he likes is his right. posting the article as an official Column is not. both can be easily assumed by anyone

Quote:
A much better way to handle it would be to say "In the future please do not post articles as an Official Column as we feel that this . . ."
that would be a PR way. i'm not a company, i'm a human being.

/me goes to find a self-whiping smiley or even better a self-whiping avatar
Old November 14, 2002, 10:21   #37
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Thats not really the point. We know you are busy, and 99% of people don't hold that against you. Just treat others with respect is all we ask for.

EDIT: Another cross-post. Well, I'm going to bed now so thats all from me.
Old November 14, 2002, 10:29   #38
MarkG
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Quote:
99% of people don't hold that against you
well apparently 1 person out of the other 1% chose a certain way to show it

despite his action, i showed my respect to that person by not editing his post as i could...

/me continues his self-whiping search
Old November 14, 2002, 10:40   #39
Rasbelin
Emperor

/me thinks that he has to express himself.

Hey, come on! Laz, when did you submit your writing anyway? 2 weeks ago? Did you actually get a response from Dan or Markos that it will be published as The Column writing?

I have been here with 4-5 writings since early August, but I haven't one single time whined or insulted anyone for that. Last time when I asked about the current status of The Column was a polite P.S. in an e-mail ~4 weeks ago. And I'm still hopeful that I will see them one day in the future on Poly.
Old November 14, 2002, 11:03   #40
MarkG
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

the attitude shown in the above post is what make someone changes his priorities on what apolyton job he spents his free time next and place a certain project higher....
Old November 14, 2002, 11:29   #41
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 10:54
Quote:
Originally posted by MarkG
the attitude shown in the above post is what make someone changes his priorities on what apolyton job he spents his free time next and place a certain project higher....
aah .. you mean ass-kissing.

/me puckers up.

Old November 14, 2002, 11:34   #42
Rasbelin
Emperor

/me kisses FP's butt.

Happy now?

Anyway, I was just stating my opinion and several facts. Laz never stated anything about the submission, such as when and any possible response.

Why should I rant and whine like Laz? Wouldn't that be abit annoying? What would you do then?
Old November 14, 2002, 11:45   #43
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Rasbelin
Happy now?
Delirious.

I didn't mean to have a go at you Rasbey ... you posting your opinion of how Mark runs the site is no better or worse than Laz posting his.

Maybe Mark is too busy to update the column every week? Perhaps he needs someone to help him with it?

Are you volunteering Laz?
Old November 14, 2002, 12:00   #44
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 11:54
I think a column editor would be a great idea if a) there is sufficient material being submitted, b) it's not going to take Markos even longer to set up, and c) the rumoured "new system" doesn't make him/her obsolete.

Furthermore, I'd love to see Laz do it. Hell, I'd do it if it makes Markos' life easier.
Old November 14, 2002, 12:20   #45
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Immortal Wombat
Hell, I'd do it if it makes Markos' life easier.
So would I.
Old November 14, 2002, 12:29   #46
Rasbelin
Emperor

Hold your Horsie. I suggested that in September, so you're after me in the queue. And Laz's chances to get a such position, if one would be created, are very narrow after he was bashing Markos.
Old November 14, 2002, 12:40   #47
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

I dunno, it would make sense for Markos to say "If you don't like how I'm doing it then do it yourself",
Old November 14, 2002, 14:03   #48
Bugs ****ing Bunny
Emperor

Quote:
* Rasbelin thinks that he has to express himself.

Hey, come on! Laz, when did you submit your writing anyway? 2 weeks ago? Did you actually get a response from Dan or Markos that it will be published as The Column writing?

August 4th, and "yes". Is the rolling eyeballs indicative of some sort of seizure?
Old November 14, 2002, 14:32   #49
Bugs ****ing Bunny
Emperor

Quote:
* Rasbelin kisses FP's butt.

Happy now?

Anyway, I was just stating my opinion and several facts. Laz never stated anything about the submission, such as when and any possible response.

Why should I rant and whine like Laz? Wouldn't that be abit annoying? What would you do then?
Rant and whine? What sort of spin doctor are you?

Early August, column is submitted. Acknowledgement received from DanQ (who is never anything less than a joy and a pleasure to deal with, and that is genuine. Markos- take note).

Columns stop mid-August. In late September I politely ask if "The Column" is defunct. The thread is on this forum. You'll note that Markos ain't too helpful.

Thread politely bumped early this month. It's ignored. Thread bumped again a few days ago. It's ignored again.

So I posted it myself, taking the next number of the column. Suddenly Golden Boy is on it like a hawk, and he edits out the column number. Next he's demanding I edit the thread header. I'll happily admit that my first impulse was to reply simply "Kiss my arse", but seeing as I thought he'd just edit it anyway I did it myself.

Then I inform Markos that he's being petty and I feel his people skills are sorely wanting. Entirely justifiably, I feel.

Right, that's one issue settled. Now it's your turn. There's someone like you in every classroom, isn't there? Everything's a popularity contest to get a smile out of teacher, isn't it?

Prepare yourself for a shock, Rasbelin, but the columns I've written (and there are several) aren't submitted as some sort of plan to amass Brownie points and possibly shovel up some sort of minor administrative position here. I'm writing to entertain people. The prospect of "blowing my chances" of achieving some sort of Apolyton honorific isn't one I intend losing sleep over- there are many reasons why but possibly the foremost among them is that I'm not 12 years old.

Contributions are solicited by site users. Having been asked for submissions, it's a little disheartening to see them viewed as little more than an inconvenience. Don't get me wrong. Markos isn't the worst editor I've ever dealt with. The difference is that those who were worse were paying me, and I'm prepared to put up with more.

So that's the story, Rasbelin. You're on quite a roll lately, aren't you? Are we going to see your standard response of slipping in an insult then posting "Anyway, back on topic" in that good old "Slap like a girl then run away" style?
Old November 14, 2002, 15:03   #50
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

This is remarkable. Pettiness and arrogance doesn't sort out any situation, it just distances people from you. You should have acknowledged Laz's doings, perhaps he has done it because he is genuinely interesting in civ and this place. It is a case of cutting of your nose to spite your face.

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old November 14, 2002, 15:57   #51
Rasbelin
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp

What sort of spin doctor are you?
Ask the same question of yourself.
Quote:
Right, that's one issue settled. Now it's your turn. There's someone like you in every classroom, isn't there?
Everything's a popularity contest to get a smile out of teacher, isn't it?
Oh, I see, you're now going on a such low level like this. Someone like me in every classroom? I see, trying to say that I'm nosy and that stereotype geek with glasses who answer all questions and try to be so damn clever? Based on what? The positive feedback I had? Jeez! Isn't that like jumping to conclusions in advance?
Quote:
Prepare yourself for a shock, Rasbelin, but the columns I've written (and there are several) aren't submitted as some sort of plan to amass Brownie points and possibly shovel up some sort of minor administrative position here.
I'm writing to entertain people. The prospect of "blowing my chances" of achieving some sort of Apolyton honorific isn't one I intend losing sleep over- there are many reasons why but possibly the foremost among them is that I'm not 12 years old.
What shock? I didn't expect anything.

Aha, a plan to have brownies? Well, good to hear that your intension isn't to get brownies with those writings. Neither have I done that because of that, or is there somekind of evidence that I would have done that? Or are you just seeing me as an evil maggot who doesn't do antyhing because he would like it and do it as a volunteer? Grow up, unless you already are. And why would I write The Column writings for getting a staff position? Why, Laz? There's many other ways available, if that would really be my only intention in life. Sometime ago there was 2 new staff openings. I one for RoN and one for MoO3. If I would want to do that, I would have submitted an application, but as Dan and Markos can confirm, I didn't send an application. And when it comes to the reason why I write The Column writings, I can only say that I also like to entertain with writings that aren't maybe the greatest in the world, but at least previously they have received positive feedback on Poly. So if you "Mr. Master Author of Poly" think that I'm only out hunting for brownies here, I must say that you'd better invent something better as you only make you look dumb. And saying that the most important reason for not "loosing your sleep" is that you're not 12. Well, by saying that you assume that I'm 12-years-old and that I'm so immature that I chase only for nominations. Do you really think I care about such outright lie?
Quote:
You're on quite a roll lately, aren't you?
No, far away from that. Maybe I have had a few moments you could call bad, but it's more like you who's on a roll now.
Quote:
Are we going to see your standard response of slipping in an insult then posting "Anyway, back on topic" in that good old "Slap like a girl then run away" style?
That's not my standard response, Laz. I'm not exercising a such tactic when it comes to standing up and facing such catcalls like your.

So what do you want out of me, Laz? Want a bleeding nose?
Old November 14, 2002, 16:24   #52
MarkG
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Quote:
I dunno, it would make sense for Markos to say "If you don't like how I'm doing it then do it yourself",
i think i have already said that he had every right to post his article wherever he wanted.

he did not have any right to use the numbering of the Column

that was done purely on specific purpose. and it worked. partially, but it worked.... congrats...

Quote:
I think a column editor would be a great idea
a column editor position is not possible right now for technical reason

now if many people are interested in why the column has not been posted, why the new system is not done, which and for what reason have been my priorities in the workload, and lastly if i whip myself every morning for not being able to answer all my mail, i'll try to post a full report asap
Old November 14, 2002, 16:42   #53
Bugs ****ing Bunny
Emperor

Welcome to the first rule of the flame, Rasbelin. If you dish it out, be prepared to get it coming back to you, with interest.
Old November 14, 2002, 19:18   #54
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Quote:
now if many people are interested in why the column has not been posted, why the new system is not done, which and for what reason have been my priorities in the workload, and lastly if i whip myself every morning for not being able to answer all my mail, i'll try to post a full report asap
Thankyou I think... Go easy on the whipping though
Old November 14, 2002, 19:34   #55
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

I know Markos has been busy lately sorting out the PTW Democracy game for us (sad, I know, but this is a Gay Ming gaming site after all ).

Hopefully the column will appear again soon, they've been missed.
Old November 14, 2002, 20:06   #56
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

It's still no excuse to act like an officious git though...

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old November 14, 2002, 21:16   #57
MarkG
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

A customer enters the apolyton forum.
Man: 'Ello, I wish to register a complaint.
(The owner does not respond.)
Man: 'Ello, Miss?
Owner: What do you mean "miss"?
Man: I'm sorry, I have a cold. I wish to make a complaint!
Owner: We're closin' for lunch.
Man: Never mind that, my lad. I wish to complain about this column what I submited not half an hour ago from this very site.
Owner: Oh yes, the, uh, the 215...What's,uh...What's wrong with it?
Man: I'll tell you what's wrong with it, my lad. 'E's not published, that's what's wrong with it!
Owner: No, no, 'e's uh,...it's on hold.
Man: Look, matey, I know an unpublished column when I see one, and I'm looking at one right now.
Owner: No no it's not unpublished, it's, it's on hold'! Remarkable article, the 215, idn'it, ay? Beautiful writing!
Man: The writing don't enter into it. It's still unpublished.
Owner: Nononono, no, no! 'E's on hold!
Man: All right then, if it's on hold', I'll publish it! (shouting at the screen) 'Ello, Mister Polly Column! I've got a lovely fresh new thread page for you if you show...
(owner hits refresh)
Owner: There, it's posted!
Man: No, it's not, that was you hitting the refresh button!
Owner: I never!!
Man: Yes, you did!
Owner: I never, never did anything...
Man: (yelling and hitting the cage repeatedly) 'ELLO POLLY!!!!! Testing! Testing! Testing! Testing! This is your nine o'clock alarm call!
(Copies column out of notepad and open the new thread page. Throws it in the form and watches it return to a blank page.)
Man: Now that's what I call a unpublished column.
Owner: No, no.....No, 'e's stopped!
Man: STOPPED?!?
Owner: Yeah! You pressed the escape button, just as it was being published! Pages stop loading easily, major.
Man: I'm not prepared to pursue my line of inquiry any longer as I think this is getting too silly!
Sergeant-Major: Quite agree, quite agree, too silly, far too silly... (takes customer by the arm) Come on, you, you've got to go do another sketch now! Come on... (he walks off stage left, followed by the director and cameramen, leaving the owner alone on the set)
Owner: (to the audience) Well! I never wanted to do this in the first place. I wanted to be... a lumberjack!
(he takes off his white lab coat to reveal a checkered shirt and suspenders under it)
Floating down the mighty rivers of British Columbia! With my best girl by my side!...

Old November 14, 2002, 22:05   #58
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

Local Time: 05:54
Did I mention that I loved the article? Great work Laz I look forward to the next one.

would everyone please follow my lead?
Old November 15, 2002, 01:49   #59
Skanky Burns

I don't know why, but ok then.

Old November 15, 2002, 03:47   #60
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by MarkG
A customer enters the apolyton forum.
Man: 'Ello, I wish to register a complaint.
*snip*
Owner: (to the audience) Well! I never wanted to do this in the first place. I wanted to be... a lumberjack!
(he takes off his white lab coat to reveal a checkered shirt and suspenders under it)
Floating down the mighty rivers of British Columbia! With my best girl by my side!...

Man: When I submitted this column not half an hour go you told me that it's total lack of publishedness was due to your being tired and ****ged-out after a prolonged Chat."