No 10 55.56%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 13, 2002, 00:11   #1
trevor
Warlord

Local Time: 05:57
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Small Wars
Now I realize that this may be a minor faux pas in judgement; but I think it would be cool if you could particpate in small wars. In other words, you could send in troops to a nation without a declaration of war. You could only do this if your civ is a age above another civ and you have a active trade deal. So, theoreticly you could send in troops to protect the resource, during anarchy to "ensure a fair change of goverment", or to install a new gov by demanding a change in exchange for leaving.
Old November 13, 2002, 00:24   #2
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 10:57
Re: Small Wars
Quote:
Originally posted by trevor
Now I realize that this may be a minor faux pas in judgement; but I think it would be cool if you could particpate in small wars. In other words, you could send in troops to a nation without a declaration of war. You could only do this if your civ is a age above another civ and you have a active trade deal. So, theoreticly you could send in troops to protect the resource, during anarchy to "ensure a fair change of goverment", or to install a new gov by demanding a change in exchange for leaving.
Old November 13, 2002, 00:44   #3
Carver
Prince

Local Time: 04:57
I don't mean to be rude, but WTF? How would you do that in Civ?
Old November 13, 2002, 02:07   #4
Cyclotron
Never Ending StoriesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Well, I'm not sure how you would wage a pseudo war with a state you were getting a resource from (why would you need to?). I've fought a war to keep trade routes with other Civs open (i.e. Civ A supplies me with a needed resource or luxury, Civ B is between me and Civ A, Civ B declares war on Civ A and interrupts my trade route with A, I am not allied with Civ A but I start a limited war to secure a Civ B free zone between me and Civ A as a trade corridor).

Interesting idea, but I don't see it as working very well with civ.
Old November 13, 2002, 20:45   #5
The_Aussie_Lurker
BtS Tri-League
King

It could be done if the Firaxis people were to give us extra diplomacy options. For instance, you could have a situation where you engage in a limited war, like that described by Cyclotron, but instead of just making a "Civ B" free zone, if you really pound them you could go into the Diplomacy screen and offer them peace in exchange for ending their conflict with your trading partner!
Another diplomatic option, which I think would be cool, and related to this thread, would be a "we don't like your current form of government, have you considered changing to....."
Another option, such as that suggested by trevor, would be to go in and whoop your neighbour for a bit and leave your troops occupying key resource squares, then go into diplomacy and say that you will exchange the removal of your troops for a change to your preferred government type. The point I'm making, I guess, is that all of this is currently doable within the current Civ3 format, and would not have to wait until Civ4 .

Yours,
The_Aussie_Lurker.
Old November 13, 2002, 21:13   #6
Cyclotron
Never Ending StoriesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
King

So I'm in a science race with some other superpower, and suddenly I get a message from him:

"We don't like your democracy, have you considered changing to despotism?"
Old November 13, 2002, 22:17   #7
The_Aussie_Lurker
BtS Tri-League
King

Hey Cyclotron, it's been known to happen-just ask the former governments of Chile and Guatemala!! .

Yours,
The_Aussie_Lurker.
Old November 14, 2002, 04:40   #8
The Pioneer
Prince

Local Time: 11:57
I like the idea but it's too complex to implement in the game. I'd like to see a more complex and better diplomacy before we come to that.

So long...
Old November 14, 2002, 12:29   #9
Trifna
King

Local Time: 18:57
Not exactly
I agree with the general concept BUT it should simply be that you're successful into showing that the war is not your fault but the other country's fault or something... There should be a way to do stuff like that by propaganda. Public opinion should have more important in Civ.
Old November 14, 2002, 14:12   #10
gsmoove23
Warlord

If only you could implement no-fly zones, DMZs, Police actions... Great for the nuclear age. Keep it small or I press the button!
Old November 15, 2002, 17:57   #11
trevor
Warlord

Oh, I hever though this could be done in Civ 3; getting a good editor was (is?) hard enough. Like gsmoove said, this is really only for the last two ages. It would be a great help to playing a imperialist power.