Old April 3, 2000, 04:39   #1
iMac722
Warlord

Local Time: 01:40
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I dont think I got that "Killer Instinct"
Whenever I play a game I usually stop bilding bases at 4-6 and work on infastructure the remainder of the game and never expand after that. I usually put the Merchant Excahnge, Longevety vaccine, Space Elevator, Theory of Everything, Supercollider in the same base for a super duper base that really gets me rolling in the late game. I usually play on Huge map, 70-90% water, Strong erosive forces, dense cloud cover, rare native life, and Talent difficulty. I just need some help with my strategy, I usually form truces with everyone and avoid war at all costs, but i usually get into vendettas with Miriam, Morgan, Yang, and Santiago, and allies with Lal, and Deidre. but this doesnt happen until late game when they get fed up with my Demo/Green/Know/Cyber. So Is there anything I can do to Improve my strategy?
Old April 3, 2000, 06:42   #2
609x512
Settler

haha, thats exactly how i play with the exactsame SE settings too. I can use sum advice to improve my gameplay also. Any suggustions?
Old April 3, 2000, 09:33   #3
Adam_Smith
Prince

Actually that is a good number, but I would make it 6. Just get those bases quickly (first thing). First, get your formers out there. Second, get tech and infrastructure for pop boom. Third, research ind. Auto. Forth, build Planetary Transet System. Then build more bases.
Old April 3, 2000, 17:03   #4
Helium Pond
Prince

oops this was posted to the wrong thread. glad they have that 'edit' feature now!
[This message has been edited by Helium Pond (edited April 04, 2000).]
Old April 3, 2000, 17:11   #5
Helium Pond
Prince

It's not a good idea to put all the improvements in one base. There are a few reasons for this.
1) It makes the game more likely to send mindworms, random disasters, etc after that base.
2) After the base is making enough research points to get a tech per turn, all excess research gets discarded. In other words, if tech costs 400 lab points, and your superbase is making 800 points in a turn, the game will treat it as if it's only making 400, and you'll only get one tech per turn. However, if you're generating 400 points in one base, and 400 points in another base, you'll get two techs per turn. So after a certain point, it's an enormous waste of resources to have everything in one base.
3) If your enemies Planet Buster your superbase, you're ruined.

The superbase is a common strategy among beginners, and it comes up a lot in these forums. I'm basically just quoting the standard reaction for you. I didn't know most of this stuff until I read it here. Good luck.

Just curious: why do you prefer strong erosive forces?
Old April 3, 2000, 17:26   #6
kaz
Warlord

The best approach for bases is to do the whole District approach, which is like ICS(Infinite City Sprawl), but you take 3-4 bases right next to each other, then pick the best one and build it up, having the other bases only produce or build supply crawlers for the main base.
Old April 3, 2000, 17:36   #7
WhiteElephants
King

Local Time: 20:40
Local Date: October 30, 2010
While I think your doing good by stopping a t a certain point to work on infrastructure, I imagine to deal with drone problems with the University, I really think you need to build many more bases. On a huge map I would think that 30+ bases would be a standard size, if not more. For example I'm playing a single player game on a standard sized map and I'm beginning to feel a little short handed with 18 bases. If you don't like dealing with that much micromanagement try a smaller map like small or even tiny, though you will contact other aggressive factions much sooner than on a huge map. I'm not that experienced, but I imagine the best players have a killer instinct, so if you want to become better your going to need to work on that aspect of the game. Maybe try playing as the Spartans, Believers, of The Hive. Factions that are somewhat geared toward warfare. Conflict is inevitable in this game so your just gonna have to drop that sissy talk, get that chin up, that chest out, and go kick some ass.
Old April 3, 2000, 20:48   #8
Enigma
Prince

Read Vel's strat guide. Learn to use econ more efficiently to develop your infrastructure faster.

Play every faction at least 2-3 times so you can learn what makes them tick. Knowing how to use native life as Deidre may be useful when as Yang your enemy has a weapons advantage.

I wrote a very long list of suggestions, stopped to eat dinner, and after dinner my dad wanted to use the computer and he opened up a file that had IE as it's viewer, and lo and behold all my text disappears.