Old April 10, 2000, 10:57   #1
Master Marcus
Prince

Local Time: 20:40
Local Date: October 30, 2010
any news from Firaxis?
I begin to realize like many SMACers that the game engine seems to be a dead one not worth upgrading anymore. With the recent changes at Firaxis and the emphasis for CivIII, I wonder if they still intent to release a SMAC 5.0/v3.0 smacx patch or not?

I think we're entitled to be informed shortly on this, at least by respect for the hard work done by some apolyton experts (Zsozso and others) in the past.

------------------
The art of mastering:"la Maîtrise des caprices du subconscient avant tout".
Old April 11, 2000, 07:09   #2
Ned
King

Local Time: 17:40
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Marcus, Firaxis has two choices. Support a game on as its market evaporates or put resources into a new and potentially better game, Civ III. The answer is obvious.

When Civ III comes out, it will run two years. Then Firaxis or Sid Meier will revist Alpha Centauri with all the ideas generated by this forum and others concerning the game, plus new concepts generated by Civ III.

I must be honest, though. I played Civilization until Civ II came out. Then I played Civ II until SMAC came out. It will take a Civ III to make me switch. I have tried Colonization - and didn't like it. Ditto, Ages of Empire. I really enjoy SMACX.
Which brings me to a question about the AI. It seems to me to have two basic flaws that Civ did not have. The first is that all factions seem to behave like either the Russions or the Mongols did in Civilization - build military almost exclusively - however, without agressive ICS employed by those factions in the first game. The second flaw.

If either the Mongols or the Russians were in the game, I knew I was in for a struggle. The Mongols, especially, would agressively expand/conquer into a very large civilization. Later, they would consolidate and convert to Democracy. The combinaton of initial ICS and later expansion is the way to go in Civilization as it is in SMAC. However, I have never seen the AI in SMAC agressively expand to the extent it did in Civilization. But it does seem to dramatically overinvest in military - so much so that they choke off all mineral production and cannot build new facilities. The worst of the AI lot seems to be Domai who seems not to expand at all, and who also dramatically overinvests in obsolete military.

I would hope in Civ III or in some future Alpha Centauri that this AI problem be fixed.

Ned
Old April 13, 2000, 13:14   #3
Helium Pond
Prince

Local Time: 01:40
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Gee, off-topic much, Ned? Just a joke, just a joke.

Master Marcus: it's hard to be optimistic in the void. Without any official word from Firaxis, it's easy to assume the worst. However, Firaxis would have some good reasons to keep supporting SMAC/X. Its standing on that Global Top 100 chart, for instance. It's a game that has legs, and I'm sure it's part of Firaxis' strategy to keep it walking for as long as it can. The whole point of making a civ-type game is to create a stong and consistent seller, after all. Anyway, I'm sure that I'm going to provoke an avalanche of embittered, cynical responses from the others hereabouts, but I for one choose not to believe that no news is bad news.