Old November 16, 2002, 01:53   #1
DRoseDARs
lifer
Spore
Emperor

Local Time: 04:07
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Please join me on the Island of Pegersus @ Simcountry.com
For anyone interested in playing the Simcountry game I will provide a gift certificate worth $20Billion in-game money. The way this works is I send you an invitation through Simcountry.com to your email (or there is the option of snail-mail...I don't think so ). After they have seen that your account (FREE in three of the four worlds) has been relatively active for up to a month (you actually login to your account, keeping it active on a semi-regular basis...not just signing up and forgeting about it for a month) they will allow you to validate your certificate. Once this is done, your country will be given the $20B into its economy to be used as you see fit. On their website it says you can play this game by logging in for just a few minutes every day or two and that would be considered and active account. I've checked mine every day so far...

I'm currently located in White Giant (free world), Virgina Bella (continent in western hemisphere), Pegersus (region on the east coast of the continent), SeaSide View (northern-most country of the island).

There are a few unclaimed countries in my area and at least two other 'Poly populated Federations on White Giant, both of whom have extended invitations to me to join their federations, so I am in good diplomatic standing with both of them currently. Though, you can only part of ONE federation at a time. No dual citizenship.

My goal is to make a mostly solid block of Apolyton members in the region to provide a stable, friendly environment for our own federation (well...a third federation in that world, but more densely clumped together). No federation or rules established yet, those can come later. Right now it's pretty informal; just looking for friendly 'Poly neighbors.

Please PM me here on Apolyton and provide me an email address I can send the Invitation/gift certificate to. I'm new at this, so there is a possiblity of mistakes, but please be patient with me. Their system is a little confused...

I know Skanky Burns has already expressed interest in joining me in Pegersus region...any other takers?

http://www.simcountry.com/
The site is a little messy to find your way through, but you figure it out after a short while...

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Last edited by DRoseDARs; November 29, 2002 at 00:46.
Old November 16, 2002, 06:43   #2
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 22:07
Yep, I'm on my way there, taking the regeion just to the south west of SeaSide View. As soon as I get the invitation I will be there.
Old November 16, 2002, 07:15   #3
Kropotkin
Emperor

Local Time: 13:07
Planned to start a Coal mine in your land for a while there drosedars but you didn't have enough qualified personel (exceutives) so another country got the jobs, though luck.
Old November 16, 2002, 09:25   #4
Datajack Franit
NationStates
King

Local Time: 12:07
40+80% of corporation taxes is really sick high! Franit Empire offers 35+35%
I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom
Old November 16, 2002, 10:06   #5
Sonic
Warlord

Kropotkin, you can always start or privatise companies in my country, it is Keit Alliance... BTW: there are two empty states near my country, one is on the coast and another is also quite good, you can take them.
Old November 16, 2002, 10:26   #6
Kropotkin
Emperor

I shall consider that, unless I turn out to be bankrupt before that...
Old November 16, 2002, 19:54   #7
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Any minute now I'll be joining...
Old November 16, 2002, 20:03   #8
DRoseDARs
lifer
Spore
Emperor

Skanky:
Good to hear it!

Datajack:
I've matched my taxes to the ones you mention = 35%+35%

Kropotkin:
Damn. Wish I'd known that beforehand, could've freed up some workers for you. Oh well...ce la vie.

Sonic:
Well...don't have anything to say, so I'll say, "Hi."

Old November 16, 2002, 21:09   #9
Skanky Burns

Yep, I'm in now.

I am running low on execs, medium and high level managers, and of course I still have a massive shortage of teachers. But these are all being addressed and soon I should see these numbers pick up. Started a few state businesses too.
Old November 16, 2002, 21:25   #10
Datajack Franit
NationStates
King

Skanky, if you're in troubles don't hesitate to ask questions, after all we're all apolytoners

Franit Union
I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom
Old November 16, 2002, 21:32   #11
Sonic
Warlord

DRoseDars, my taxes are even lower - 30%
Old November 16, 2002, 21:54   #12
Kontiki
King

Local Time: 07:07
I just set up a services corp - looking for a country to build it in. DRoseDARs, I'll use yours for now. Let me know if/how I can help you out and get a good start myself. My company is LilyCorp.
Old November 16, 2002, 21:55   #13
Kontiki
King

Local Time: 07:07
OK, you don't have enough workers..... I'll try somewhere else for now.
Old November 16, 2002, 22:03   #14
Skanky Burns

No worries.

I'm planning on joining the Apolyton Federation too, as I don't want to be squashed by an evil enemy. DRoseDARs, you should join it too.
Old November 18, 2002, 02:04   #15
Skanky Burns

The Dreamworld KingDom (My country).

In education I currently have:
81.5% of the recommended amounts of schools
87.6% highschools and
57% of universities.
I have ordered an additional 2 universities to bring my university coverage to 85.7%, but currently don't have enough executives to staff them. But more universities should help bring the number of exec graduates up.

I have been buying road and rail at a fairly steady rate.

With my industries, I have 3 services companies, and I was actually losing money despite the massive demand for services. They are 130 quality items, but I was selling them at standard market price. I bumped up their sale price to 40% above market, and am actually making a profit now. Nice. One of my companies I have put the price up to 150% above market price (so a total cost of 250%) and am hoping and expecting them still to sell. If so, I'll be raking in the cash.
Most of my companies sell products that are in demand, so I have them at around 40-50% above market and are now doing well.

One of my companies however is producing an item well out of demand. Aluminium, which is losing me money. I'm thinking of closing the company down and freeing the employees to staff my universities and soon a high-tech services company. I'll have to think about that.

Finally, I've almost solved my shortages problems. Mostly I was running out of services, gas, books, and I already have companies producing these products. So I have been trading internally to solve shortage problems with my other state-owned companies.

So how is everyone else going who are playing this game? Any hints that you can share?
Old November 18, 2002, 06:03   #16
Kropotkin
Emperor

That brings up a valid question; How much can you raise your selling-price when there's a general shortage anyhow? I do guess it has a lot to do with the nature of the shortage (the market situation bar in the end of the corp- page) but does anyone want to give me some guidelines?
Old November 18, 2002, 06:15   #17
DRoseDARs
lifer
Spore
Emperor

Free-market economies...

I'm sorry, but I will never understand the intricacies of all those numbers I'm seeing as far as the various corporations in my country's economy and my country's budget. I only have a pretty basic understanding, so I doubt I'd be able to answer any questions that go beyond the options of Good, Bad, Yes, and No.

Anyhoo, My debt is pretty high ($140B), but I just used some of my $47B to pay off some 10B loans. Hopefully with the set of three corporations I just built and the mizer budget I've set for next year, I'll be able to pay off a slew of $20B and $30B loans that are due next year and the year after that...

...But so far, a kinda fun and kinda fustrating game all-in-all.

Old November 18, 2002, 08:48   #18
Skanky Burns

Well, the game-imposed maximum is 150% above market cost, and I seem to be selling all my services just fine. Very nice profit. Not tested for long enough to be sure it works however.
I have also started ordering for myself with all the products that are in excess (production outstrips demand). I have ordered them all at the absolute minimum price allowed, and set it to increase the offered amount by 1% each month if it doesn't get filled. But hopefully I will be able to buy them cheap.
I'm in about $50B debt, but still need to expand more.

I also just discovered that my actual country needs to buy products to sell to its citizens. I ordered the ones that were in low demand for cheap, and will see how I go getting them.
Old November 18, 2002, 09:48   #19
Datajack Franit
NationStates
King

It's all related to the QUALITY of the products: a product with a quality index of 140 will instead appear as costing 60 only (100 normal price - 40 quality bonus=60), so you could raise the price up to 140 and the product will appear to the market bidders as costing 100 only, instead you will gain 140

Asher on molly bloom
Old November 18, 2002, 10:46   #20
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 06:07
If someone would be willing to teach me the game, I'd be willing to join.
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old November 18, 2002, 11:17   #21
C0ckney
King

i played it for a while, got bored though, running a country is hard, easier by far to run a corp.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton
Old November 18, 2002, 11:28   #22
Datajack Franit
NationStates
King

You're welcome DinoDoc

Asher on molly bloom
Old November 18, 2002, 14:03   #23
Datajack Franit
NationStates
King

DinoDoc, join the Apolyton Federation... or else!

Asher on molly bloom
Old November 18, 2002, 14:03   #24
Skanky Burns

Hmm, just remember that demand changes month to month. My books/newspapers company now has too much stock, as with my meat company. But still, my other companies have been raking in the cash, and my finances for the first time looked good. My country was making more money than it was spending.

Then I ordered 1000 miles of road and 500 rail, and I will probably have some of my schools closed soon, as I am still short-staffed. Speaking of short-staffed, my number of executives has really reached crisis-point. Most of my companies are slightly short-staffed due to not enough execs, but next month 2 more universities arrive so my executive graduates should increase as well.
Old November 18, 2002, 15:16   #25
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 08:07
Quote:
Originally posted by DinoDoc
If someone would be willing to teach me the game, I'd be willing to join.
Yeah, me too. I even sent a PM to DRose but he did not answered it so far.
Old November 18, 2002, 15:17   #26
Kropotkin
Emperor

Datajack: Thanks for that information, I guess that will help me run some decent profits. The days when I sold quality 130 products with a shortage on the market for 15% over the marketprice thinking I was making a great deal is over.
Old November 18, 2002, 15:38   #27
Datajack Franit
NationStates
King

Don't overdo it It seems that in a matter of days market shortages just disappear in the middle of nowhere- I think some evil multinational is stocking huge quantities of a product to raise its price then sells it.
Btw I desperately need some production plants... and cash as well

Asher on molly bloom
Old November 18, 2002, 15:52   #28
DRoseDARs
lifer
Spore
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Alexnm

Yeah, me too. I even sent a PM to DRose but he did not answered it so far.
Probably because I was fast asleep when you did it.

Last time I checked for PMs was about 2:50am. You PMed me at 3:25am and DinoDoc did at 7:34am. The price I pay for normal, biological functions...

After I'm finished looking through the OT threads (almost done) I'll send those Invites/Gifts to the two of you.

See ya' soon!
DRoseDARs

Old November 18, 2002, 16:36   #29
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 06:07
Ok. I joined. Now someone tell me what I'm supposed to do. The game's complexity is what turned me off last time.
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old November 18, 2002, 16:59   #30
Datajack Franit
NationStates
King

Check your new messages at simcountry

Asher on molly bloom