Old November 16, 2002, 09:39   #1
Cian McGuire
Warlord

Local Time: 06:08
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Anyone notice that revolutions aren't working correctly?
Or is it just something I missed in the update lists?

Basically, I can no longer use that first turn after a revolution to pick between government types and see which one I wish to go with. I can't even go back to my old form of government without having yet another debilitating period of anarchy.

Bug, oversight, or deliberate change?
Old November 16, 2002, 09:59   #2
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

Local Time: 12:08
Re: Anyone notice that revolutions aren't working correctly?
Quote:
Originally posted by Cian McGuire
Or is it just something I missed in the update lists?

Basically, I can no longer use that first turn after a revolution to pick between government types and see which one I wish to go with. I can't even go back to my old form of government without having yet another debilitating period of anarchy.

Bug, oversight, or deliberate change?
You can do that (change the government type on the very next turn) with RELIGIOUS civs only. Non-religious civilizations suffer from a period of anarchy every time they change their government.
Old November 16, 2002, 11:11   #3
Cian McGuire
Warlord

Not what I meant, though I appreciate the response.

Before in Civ 3, one could go into a revolution and on that *first* turn out of revolution you could choose between all the available government types you had before settling on one. After that turn was over, you were stuck with what you had unless you wanted to go into another revolution.

Example: I get the message, "What government should we select, sir? Despotism, Monarchy, Republic". I decide to go with Republic, but notice that I have too many units and it causes too much of a drain on my income, so I go back to the Domestic Advisor (F1) and click on the government box and select Monarchy and stay with that.

This was done with non-Religious civs.
Old November 16, 2002, 11:16   #4
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

Local Time: 12:08
I see, sorry for not getting it the first time.

I can't remember if I ever saw it the way you describe. I believe I was always stuck with whatever I chose right after the prompt appeared... but then, I never felt like changing my gov-type decision, so I might have easily missed something...
Old November 16, 2002, 11:33   #5
reefer addict
Warlord

Local Time: 03:08
i remember civ2 allowing you to preview the goverments and letting you change back and forth between goverments on the turn you came out of anarchy, but civ3 has always been the way it is now. you better know what goverment you want before you go into anarchy.
Old November 16, 2002, 12:01   #6
Billster2k3
Settler

Local Time: 05:08
Seems to me it may be a fixed bug. My understanding of changing governments has always been that once you select one the only way you can change it is to throw a revolution, thereby suffering the routine period of anarchy (unless playing a religious civ). My play style has never lent itself to changing governments more than twice per game (despotism>republic>democracy) so I would not have experienced the issue you are talking about but if that was the case for you pre-PTW then it sounds like it WAS a bug that they have now fixed. Maybe.
Old November 16, 2002, 13:17   #7
Cian McGuire
Warlord

Quote:
My play style has never lent itself to changing governments more than twice per game (despotism>republic>democracy) so I would not have experienced the issue you are talking about but if that was the case for you pre-PTW then it sounds like it WAS a bug that they have now fixed. Maybe.
I think I remember being happily surprised at it's inclusion, as if I saw it in a list somewhere. In fact, I have an almost deliberate memory of thinking, "Damn, that's smart" in relation to it.

Funny thing is, it could originally have been a bug, or this limitation could be a bug. Or both could have been on purpose. I just dunno.

*goes searching for the manual*
Old November 16, 2002, 13:30   #8
Aerick
Settler

Local Time: 11:08
Starting revolutions
There are two ways to start revolutions.

1. F1 - The domestic Advisor. Using this method I believe you get a list of governments available to you when the anarchy ends.

2. After finishing researching a government tech. For example, when you finish researching The Republic, you get a pop-up asking if you want to start a revolution. In this case when the anarchy ends, you will be a Repulic and won't get to choose the government type.
Old November 16, 2002, 13:38   #9
Cian McGuire
Warlord

Read the damn thread before responding, Aerick
Old November 16, 2002, 15:55   #10
Aerick
Settler

Local Time: 11:08
Oops.
Sorry Cian Mcguire, I obviously misunderstood.
Old November 16, 2002, 16:25   #11
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

Preview isnt necesary if you are careful. Review all the units you have and what your city status is. You should be doing these stuff when your thinkign about changing gov anyway. At least noting information on F1 and F3 is crucial befor erevolting. I think lack of preview is better since it cause you to take care when your changing govt, not just doing it out of whim. If preview ever existed. I never recalled having a preview feature in civ III and its been ages since i played civ II so I'll take your words that it did.
Old November 17, 2002, 02:15   #12
Cian McGuire
Warlord

Quote:
Preview isnt necesary if you are careful.
Yeah, I realize that; I was merely a bit surprised when I found out that it wasn't there.

It's alright, Aerick