Old November 17, 2002, 15:20   #1
SKILORD
Never Ending StoriesCivilization III MultiplayerApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 11:11
Local Date: November 1, 2010
The Wild West Story
*Author's Note: In the following story Indian refers to Native Americans, as the Indians were in fact not used in this game*

William McCarthy looked out over the tanks barrel at the Iriquois land. Defensless, he thought, we've got 'em like fish in a barrel. His tank batallion had long since destroyed the feeble Indian invasion and now they stood poised to make a stronger incursion than their enemies had dreamed.
What had they been thinking he wondered.

The People of the Wild west were generally pacifistic, they had fought only two wars in recorded history, the English Crusade, which the English had begun by striking the fronteir town of Silver City and had paid for with humiliating defeats at the hands of the Bandits. The other war was this one, Hiawatha had commanded his Cavalry to strike San Fransisco, the very capitail of the West, they had been pushed back and now the Americans forged helpfully into the Indian lands from the West, through England and Azteca, who had remained neutral, as countless legions of Western Infantry and Artillary bowtied their railroads and bombarded their cities. Overhead the so-called "CloudBoys" reigned destruction as far as Salamnaca.

Salamnaca was not William's concern, most likely it would fall to America and he couldn't care less, conquest wasn't in his people's blood, the land greed did not posess them. Grand River was right on the border and it was his objective, he could see from his cupola that most of the buildings had already given up the spirit in the name of pointless defiance, The Bombs and shells had penetrated most structures. Infantry clad in tribal colors prowled the streets in search of any food they could steal, this battle would be pathetic, he surmised.
"Hey Kid!" the driver, Wild Bill shouted up, the other tankers had long ago taken to calling him the Kid, as William, or Billy as they also called him, was far younger than the men he commanded, such a fact might have caused resentment if William didn't take the ribbing so well, or if he didn't deserve his position, all of them respected his tactical ability and every man new that no one could hold the unit together as well as Billy.
"What d'ya need old man?" Billy the Kid replied.
Hickok laughed,"How do the Injuns look"
"Shabby, at best" At this the other tankers let out a collective whoop,"Boys, we'll be home by the time the leaves are fallin'."

The Deligates in Salamnaca sat around a round wooden table, the vauge lighting gave a feeling of secracy to a meeting that required none.
"The Americans, Romans, and Cowboys are laying waste to the Iriqious homeland, you are next I promise." Hiawatha began, "there is horrible danger to us all if we do not unite against them."
Montezuma shook his head solemnly,"The Romans are on another continent, they fight only with your navy, the Cowboys have long been the freinds of Azteca."
"But the Americans ride through your land to reach mine, has Abraham ever asked for your permission?" The Iriquois leader pressed his only winning point,"These powers have no regard for us, they see us as something to be swept away, we must stand up, and show them that we are strong as well"
"But Rome and Egypt have long poisesed trade links, if they are broken our economy will be shattered."
"Cleopatra my dear,"Hiawatha caressed her cheek gently, "Conquest will fill the belly far more than trade will"
"I, suppose so,"she sputtered.
Hiawatha smiled greatly and looked at Montezuma, who's resolute defiance stood for a moment but gave way under the stares of Cleo and Hiawatha.

Thus the Triple pact was formed.

The Aztec army was perfectly disciplined. Their movements even across the praries were perfectly refined, whereas their allies to the West fought with fanatical vigor and disarrayed weapons the Aztec army was a machine, much like the German army was supposed to be, the Germans had not managed to peirce the Iriquois, but were battling feircely against their ancestral foes. This army was on it's way to Rock Ridge and the populace was in a panic.

"Sir, How will we break those lines?" The Leiuenant asked.
"If it were me, frankly i'd get the hell outta dodge, but nothing can be done about our presence, it has been determined we are here to stay," The commanding officer replied.
"You know that while our earliest ancestors were performing plays and writing crude stories those people were practicing war. I recon' not a lot's changed, they've got the upper hand."
"May be so, in fact it propbly is, go round up as many civilians as you can, we got a war to win"

The newly issued gun was hot in the young man's hands, he felt sick as he pointed it out at the enemy. He was a good shot, there was no doubt to that, he had always beat his freinds at the targets. This was different though, something in his constitution shouted protest against shooting humans. The first shots rang out, ricocheting off his wall. Bert changed his mind real fast and returned fire, an oficer fell, about a hundred yards away, nothin' doin' he thought and prepared another volley for the attackers. More officer's fell, the army proceded mechanically to the wall, he wondered when this beast would realize it's wounds and lay to recover, he had heard that the best organised armies were shattered when they lost their leaders, but he could see no effect where he had fired, the Aztec dead lay strewn, ignored across the feild, the living hadn't bothered to take positions of any sort, and stubbornly proceded to the wall. God save us, Bert prayed. A cannon roared in the background and a huge mass of the enemy force lay writhing now, it was to no avail. More shots from the artillary similarly wounded the foes, but the Aztecs stood at the wall, hand to hand fighting had begun. The Experienced Units were devastated, it was all conscripts now, all natives. Bert attached his bayonette hastily and hurried out, to see if the cogs bled oil or blood. Chaos was everywhere, people died by the dozens, the Aztecs made what was surely the final charge. Bert's bayonette had fallen off. He took aim into the charge and fired, along wih his fellow natives. The western line held, the human machine grinded to a halt finally, and began to retreat.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
How is it? i promise future chapters hold gunslinging and wild west stuff.

White nations are Triple Pact
Black Names mean Allied.
Old November 17, 2002, 17:18   #2
ChrisiusMaximus
Civilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Local Time: 12:11
An interesting start I just found a little difficulty in understanding who was fighting who and where, mainly because your story jumps from place to place quickly.

I dont know if youve seen bassman's Ghandi story but he describes one event per chapter and it seems to work well but OTOH Lord Zalzabad's Roman saga jumps all over the place but his characters are so well described and developed that it does not hinder the story.

In short try developing the characters a little before tackling multi front descriptions. There is obviously many styles of writing here on the forum, I try to learn a little from all of the writers.

Looking forward to the gunslinging etc.
A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.
Old November 18, 2002, 05:17   #3
unscratchedfoot
Prince

Local Time: 20:11
I think I see a pattern here if what you say is true ChrisMaxim. Skilord and Lord Zalzabad are both big contributors to nes's which may have unconsciously changed their writing styles to give you that "jump-around" feel. I reckon in a nes there are many countries (writers) all talking about their own issues at the same time, and these stand-alone stories kinduv reflect that pattern they're used to.
Old November 18, 2002, 14:57   #4
ChrisiusMaximus
Civilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Yes you might have a point there Scratch, however Skilord dont let my comments stop you please do continue.
A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.
Old November 18, 2002, 16:30   #5
SKILORD
King

Actually the funny thing is, in this stories original form these were 2 seperate chapters. They would have come off the way you liked iff they still were.
Old November 18, 2002, 17:03   #6
SKILORD
King

Chapter the Second: Preparing for Attack
Anne Oakley, President of the mighty Western Nation, reclined in her chair reading the newest San Fransisco Paper. Egyptian Armies had nabbed a couple of unprepared Roman cities, almost conquring the Isle of Good Hope to the North of the Roman continent. The English had finally decided to enter the war, and were bloodying themselves on their Aztec border. Silver City..... her cofee came out in a great wave from her mouth over the paper, but she wiped it off quickly to read deeper intop the arcticle, an Aztec force had taken, and was occupying Silver City, her generals had failed to inform her of this yet, she wasn't surprised as this amounted to bad news of the worst degree and the responsible party would be sulking. She slammed the paper down and went hunting for her Secretary of War, he would have to know something of the matter.

The Praise of Billy the Kid was being sung from the Mountains of Good Intentions to the streets of Los Angeles, across the Channel of Angels from the Capitail. He had emerged as a great leader in troubled times by conqureing Grand River, and news was that he was moving to the Aztec front with his new army of Tanks. As he paraded through the Empire proudly before his tanks the people cheered. Billy must have promised a million old men that he would retake Silver City, and he intended to.They were to meet with another legendary group, the proud defenders of Rock Ridge, to liberate the town. Billy only hoped that the irregulars wouldn't cause too much trouble as they marched across hostile terrain. He wished he still was fighting the Iriquois, they were occupied by Infantry and Cannon and spent most of their time hiding amid their ruined cities, of course on Angelic Island they were supposed to be putting up more of a fight, but since the battle their was limited to their local units by the Western Navy, he figured the resistance would soon peter out there as well. They boys might still be home by fall.

"Cocky buncha sunsab*t*hes aint they?" Bert was watching the tanks roll into Rock Ridge, he had never seen anything like that great beast of a machine, or like it's riders, who were singin' and dancin like there was no end,"Dammit, we'ra goin' to war."
His freind likewise were solemn,"Sho are, I recon they have to get their last bit of joy in, i mean we are goin to war."
"You got a point, i accept that."
Their Brown uniforms wereinvisible on the dusty backdrop, the glittering silver stars they wore as medals for their legendary defense were the only indications of their presence to a cursory look. His freind patted Bert on the back.
"C'mon, lets join 'em,"He said, a grin on his face. Bert stayed behind while the others prepared for the upcoming campaign. Bert didn't feel well, his stomach was clenched with foreboding, the campaign did not hold much good for his nation.
Old November 18, 2002, 18:35   #7
SKILORD
King

Chapter 3: The Price of Silver
High Noon, time to move out.
The Invading force had been in Azteca for a week. They had battled with everything the Indians could hurl in their direction and sent it running to safer fronts, against the British and Americans, who hadn't left their trenches much, the Battle on that front was a meaningless war of attrition. Sharpshooters had been harassing the occupying forces in Silver City for a day, the roads connecting that city to Tenochtitlan were severed, Billy was playing this campaign perfectly, he only hoped that the history books would forgive him if he lost.
"Send in the Ridgers to test the waters, lets see what they think of real combat."
Billy's assistant nodded and made haste to complete the orders.

Bert was in command, he had taken this post easily, as there wasn't a soul who wanted it, or could imagine why he did. Bert saw the way the tankers looked at his men, he heard the guffaws behind his back, and he wanted to prove his fellow conscripts in the eyes of a national hero and his army, perhaps even his nation.
Bert had commanded a detail to build up a secretive machine gun nest near the city, and he was crawling through the dirt with the remainder of his brown-clad men. This battle wouldn't be bold, but with any luck he could win it. The first men reached the city's wall and lugged a grenade towards it. Bert grinned, as a small section of the wall crumbled and whooted with his men as they poured into the town. As the Aztecs turned their guns inward the Western gun opened up, punishing the Aztec defenders. Bert's assistant hurried to him.
"The local commanding officer wishes to surrender, should I send him to the kid?"
"Hell No,"Bert's grin was unimaginagbly wide, wider still as he rode a pony victoriously out of the city and back to the tanker's camp, Aztec prisoners in tow. Maybe he had been wrong about this campaign, but then again it was far from over.
Old November 18, 2002, 18:44   #8
ChrisiusMaximus
Emperor

Keep it coming Ski
Old November 19, 2002, 16:58   #9
SKILORD
King

Chapter 4: Hell on Earth
The Front had solidified behind them, like a great, encompassing beast closing it's maw the front had swallowed them, there was no way back, after a quick wait in Silver City for Pres. Oakley to ride down on train to present his Blazing Saddle, the most prestigious millitary award in the West, the group had moved out, a few new Infantry added under Bert, who had acheived the rank of Major, and was in full command of the infantry, answerable only to the Kid.
But it seemed they were in trouble now, they had marched out of Silver City triumphantly to the "Blazing Saddle" song that had been composed especially by the residence of Silver City for Bert, it glorified his new Award in addition to the "Tin Star" which all the defenders of Rock Ridge wore. He had become a hero, his name was sung all over the empire. Now out of the city they were like a knife plunged deep into the Aztecs, groping hopefully for the heart. Behind them there was no hope, Aztec and Cowboy were alike captured in the trenches, swallowed by the earth in it's sadistic game of war. To the west the Aztecs had captured London and were exchanging shots on the American fronteir. America had retreated from the Iriquois and they slowly began to fight harder and harder against the West, Caeser though, to the far east, had finally taken final command of the sea and sky, and with victory on those fronts hoped to win the war.
"Fire" a man yelled further up, hurling himself to the ground and opening the hungry barrel of his gun to feast on the enemy that had emerged from the forest.
Bert did likewise and summond his men calmly to do so as well. The Tanks opened fire, savagely rending the Aztecs in the forest to rags. The battle was over, a minute engagement that most texts would forget and most readers would pass over. That was their final imprint on history here, that was the purchase made with Aztec blood. Bert ended his philosophy to wonder if they would ever go home.

"England has tasted war, it is not to her liking, i demand that wqe make peace,"
"Elizabeth, i understand that you are angry, any of us would be, but we must stand strong, together against this threat."
"It's easy for you to say Lincon, with Washington so far from the front!"
"Calm yourselves people, are we to act like the savages we fight, have we come to that?" Anne's eyes were pleading, she begged for command, rather than taking it.
"I agree, Oakley, we must act like adults,"Caeser entered the verbal fray.
"Elizabeth, wouldn't it be nice to regain London?" When the Queen nodded Anne continued, her voice soothing," I have an army and several infantry in the area, i'll drop in Marines to help, just send in some English troops and we'll liberate it, i promise."
Elizabeth smiled as the allies continued their planning.
Old November 20, 2002, 12:29   #10
ChrisiusMaximus
Emperor

Good stuff.
Old November 20, 2002, 16:31   #11
SKILORD
King

Thanx for your support Chris, does anyone else read this?
Old November 20, 2002, 17:07   #12
vovan
Apolyton UniversityCivilization IV CreatorsSporeApolyton Storywriters' GuildC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The Horde
Emperor

Local Time: 05:11
Yes, SKILORD, I have been reading your story from the very beginning. Sorry that I haven't made any comments.

It's a pretty nice story. Very civ-oriented in a classic way, unlike most of the stories nowadays here. Keep going.
Spore page
Old November 20, 2002, 17:15   #13
SKILORD
King

Chapter 5: The London Gauntlet
The final Western tank screeched to it's final halt, a gaping wound it's apparent cause of death. The ruins of the Tanks lay scattered before London like the broken toys of childish gods. They reminded Bert of the Bufallo, once the majestic rulers of the land they had themselves finally found themselves defeated, scattered across the plains, their once roaring flame reduced to embers. The attack had not gone well, Aztec and Ally alike had shed blood on that great plain but in the end the Aztecs had had more blood to shed, whereas the English had fallen back to the West and Bert's company remained alone to the East.

But was it the end? Bert knew that any remotely sane commander would pull out, if for nothing else out of mercy for the once great general who had lead a futile charge to try to prove that his mighty Tanks were better than Bert's meager volunteers. Bert could not sound the retreat, he owed this, a certaint death to them all, to his men. He shuddered as he walked slowly back to camp and stood before the assembled mass of demoralized soldiers, he recognised the defeat in their eyes as his first, and greatest, enemy.

"My freinds, we have a long history of sucess, especially in the wake of failure by more experienced units. We have traversed thousands of miles to be here outside London, there is no retreat, death alone lays behind us. I do not ask you to suceed for glory, or for your families or for your land, but for survival. I promise you that we will not survive the long march home unless we succeed here, it is not possible. Victory is possible though, not only possible, it is our only option. I have spoken many times with you about our engagements being nothing more than smudges on a History book, not so here, whole volumes will be composed to examine our every move today, for today we change history," Bert saluted his men, he had never been especially good at speeches and he hoped that one could rekindle the hope for victory, his company's first casualty in this battle.
Howard Johnson approached him, Bert recognised Howard as the owner of Rock Ridge's one flavor ice cream stand. Howard shook his hand and looked earnestly into his eyes.
"Sir, if I die today, i die a proud man, having served under you,"
"Don't be so pessimistic, you'll survive, i'm sure of it,"Bert tried to sound reassuring and was barely succesful.
"Wish't i could be sure, but it doesn't matter much. Ain't nothin special about death, it ain't no more than we let it be."
Bert wished he had more time to consider that, but he was busy. He quickly removed his binoculars from their pouch and surveyed the city, it seemed that most of the remaining Aztecs had taken up position in the London Cathedral of Dreams, where Londoners had worshipped for a thousand years. There would be little worship today, only to those spiteful childish gods who had broken the tanks and Marines. That was where the battle would be, around London's once proud cathedral. A front pew veiw for God to witness man's inherit inhumanity.

The paper thin walls of a Gothic cathedral were little protection for an army of flesh and blood. Bert's pitiful remaining cannon swept the altar away so it could feast upon the Aztecs. For their part the Aztecs wer frightened, they were down to the last men and had never expected such an attack. Bert became a divine figure, among the blood and mud that ruined a holy sanctuary, his gun's reports never failed to fell his enemies, as one by one the Aztecs bled away their nation's last chance at glory, their last hope to take the world.

Elizabeth almost wept as Bert presented the city to her.
"God bless you boys," she sobbed, the tears pouring a fountain of youth before the fragile woman, she seemed to grow stronger even as her nation did, more confident with every Londoner's rose thrown into the street in celebration. "Blazing Saddles" just barely fell short of being proclaimed the British National anthem, but you couldn't tell that by the way it was played in London and York that day. The "Liberator" was hugged by every brit in London, his likenesses were sold on every street corner, a statue dedicated to him began to arise from the ashed of the Cathedral of Dreams, London's nightmares were over, and who could blame her for thanking her savior?
"God save the Queen!" Bert proclaimed,"And the President's of America and the West!"
Old November 20, 2002, 17:38   #14
SKILORD
King

Chapter 6: The Spectre's Draw
{SHHHH.. don't tell the Civfanatics people about this, this is the special Apolyton chapter, i promised gunslinging and now must deliver, they failed to show any support and thusly miss out on this chapter)

The ragged figure dragged itself from it's likewise once great beast. A muddy rag of a man crawled into London, where the crowds still cheered the name, that hated name. Tankers didn't carry guns normally, but the commanders were permitted six shooters in case of emergengies.

This was an emergency, for Billy at least. He dragged himself to the pedistal where the people's "Savior" was being exalted. Billy could end it all right there, but he couldn't his honor would not permit him to outright murder the man without a word, without that worthless irregular seeing his face, looking into his ruined eyes and knowing that he had gone too far, he had pushed Billy for too long and this final disgrace could not stand.
He crowled up the pathetic stairs and looked the man who had stolen his pride.
"High Noon partner," Billy demonstrated his handgun.
Bert was visibly shaken, could he duel a national hero, what's more could he win? William McCarthy was supposed to be a good hand in the draw. Bert swallowed as the crowd gasped. Beads of sweat caressed his forehead, pouring down his face.
"You're on," He struggled with the words, tension threatened to strangle him.

They stood back to back, the sides of the streets were invisible, coated with every spectator London had to offer.
One,
His feet's motion's revertebrated. Bert twitched nervously.
Two,
Billy was ready, oh so ready, revenge came now.
Three,
Bert tried to imagine the draw, the six gun, he could see leaping to his hand, drawn to the target. It was so simple.
Four,
Billy noticed a few spectators cheered for him, he grinned, his day would come again.
Five,
Bert wondered if he should cheat, turn early and fire at the other man's back.
Six,
There was so much more honor here than in the random murder Billy had considered. Billy grinned.
Seven,
Just a quick spin and fire, that's all it would take.
Eight,
Billy wondered quickly if he had remembered to load his gun.
Nine,
Last chance to cheat, thought Bert.
At ten they turned, two guns lept to two hands, one bullet flew away. One man fell. Bert had always been a good shot.
Billy's final moments were plauged by the click of an empty gun.
Old November 20, 2002, 22:11   #15
ChrisiusMaximus
Emperor

Yee Ha!! or Yabba Dabba Doo very well executed Ski if you'll pardon the pun. BTW the chapter before the gunfight was the best yet, much better written very dramatic.
Old November 20, 2002, 22:19   #16
SKILORD
King

Tahank you, i spent all of last night working on that chapter, i left out a scene where Howard Johnson's body was found and further speculation was done on the nature of death, i kind of miss it, but it may have been for the better.
Old November 20, 2002, 22:27   #17
ChrisiusMaximus
Emperor

Its my pleasure Ski as I said that chapter was great, I would be obliged if you would post your thoughts of my story Mikes Story on my thread.
Old November 20, 2002, 22:30   #18
vovan
Apolyton UniversityCivilization IV CreatorsSporeApolyton Storywriters' GuildC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The Horde
Emperor

Quite impressive, skilord. You are very productive, I must say. Six chapters in three days? That must be tough. And the quality of writing for such speed is pretty good also. Keep going, and never mind the lack of feedback here. You know we are reading and enjoying the writing
Spore page
Old November 20, 2002, 22:43   #19
SKILORD
King

Chapter 7: An Uncertain Fate
They were to leave London, that was for sure. The Aztecs had finally capitulated so that front was forever silenced, The burning remains of their warriors would take a long enough time to remove to deter any nation from war for a while. The West had another tool to maintain peace as well.

Salamnaca was the capitail of a small, yet powerful nation. In the end Germany had capttured a few towns to the south, the Cowboys had captured Grand River. But an Army was brewing. The final tank force was being assembled to take back it all. Hiawatha stood before them, making his bold demands of conquest. They were his last demands, Though he survived the blast that vaporised his tanks Hiawatha begged for peace on the allies terms. Everything he had was taken, his nation was left barren, with no hope of ressurection.

And America and the West began to eye each other as enemies do. A Cold War set in, a pregnant stalemate. But that is another story.

I felt that this would best end it. Look for my upcoming Celtic Story, Home of the Brave.
Old November 20, 2002, 22:56   #20
ChrisiusMaximus
Emperor

Bravo and I'll will keep my eye open for your Celtic extravaganza!
Old November 21, 2002, 10:21   #21
SKILORD
King

The Celtic story will have to wait about a week, i'm gonna be away. I tried to start it just now but i haven't any insparation at the moment.
Old November 21, 2002, 11:14   #22
vovan
Emperor

Yes, nice quick one, Skilord. Will be reading your next story as soon as it is up. Good job on this one, and keep it up, and keep the goods coming, as soon as you get over the "writer's block" of yours.
Spore page
Old November 21, 2002, 14:40   #23
ChaotikVisions
Civilization IV Creators
Prince

Local Time: 06:11
Good story, had a nice twist on things but kept that Civ3 theme. Too bad Bert won the duel though, heh.