Old November 18, 2002, 02:07   #1
Cyclotron
Never Ending StoriesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Local Time: 06:11
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Comparing Civ2 XPs with PTW
So, I go into this not having bought PTW yet... this is my conjecture.

Looking about at all the debate over PTW and how valuable its XP really is, I thought back to the last Civ's XP to examine how things have changed. Compared to Civ2's XPs, how much stuff is in PTW? Did Microprose do a better job than Firaxis, or vice versa?

Civ2, originally, came with two scenarios with no new anything and an editor that worked quite well, even if it was also quite limited.

The first XP to Civ2, CiC (Conflicts in Civ) only added 20 more scenarios, and although they had new graphics/sounds/etc. there was no editor to do such things in the game (you had to use paintbrush, etc.).

The second XP to Civ2, FW (Fantastic worlds) added about the same number of scenarios (19 I think), plus a very comprehensive editor allowing everything to be changed in game.

Now, contrast this to PTW: PTW has quite a few new scenarios and mods (not sure how many) of varying quality... that already seems to surpass CiC. The editor is improved, but from what I've heard not to the extent that FW improved the editor. There are many other gameplay changes as well.

Apparently, PTW is a better XP than CiC was, but not as good as FW was. Of course, this is thrown off by multiplayer... neither CiC nor FW had multiplayer of any kind. Of course, that was covered by Civ2 gold edition... did that have either CiC or FW integrated in it, or was it just basic Civ2 plus multiplayer?

And finally, what were the prices for all these XPs? I got CiC and FW as gifts, so I don't know.

So, what do you think? How does PTW stack up with the Civ2 XPs?
Old November 18, 2002, 05:55   #2
player1
Emperor

Local Time: 13:11
Local Date: November 1, 2010
It depends.
The "sceanrios" from PtW are more like "a lot of mpas", some scenarios and some graphic for future scenarios.

I think that in that edpartments CiC was better (since it had officialy made scnearios with impoved graphic).

On the other hand, in PtW we have bettre MODing capability, SP enhancments, MP (ok this needs patch), and impoved AI (while AI in some Cic scenarios was much wrose then in vanilla Civ2).

So if we sum that all, PtW is better.

P.S.
By the way CiC had also "event" editor added.