Old November 18, 2002, 11:19   #1
Henrik
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-CreationNationStatesMacCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontSpanish CiversCivilization IV Creators
Emperor

Local Time: 12:12
Local Date: November 1, 2010
'de Historibus Europae
Is the name of a new pbem scenario created by yours truly and this PBEM is meant as a playtest for it...
  • Period: 1520-1721

The Middle ages are over, after 100 years of Renaissance conflict
    is brewing in europe.
  • In the south the muslim Ottoman Empire is rapidly expanding its
    sphere of influence and it seems to be but a matter of time
    before the gates of Vienna are reached.
  • To the north, The Holy Roman Empire of German nation is begining to be torn appart by inner strife, a priest named Martin Luther has posted 95 theses protesting against the Pope, starting what quickly becomes known as the Protestant movement.
    While the converts to this religion are numerous, many German Princes are quick to adapt this new religion not out of religious conviction but becouse it places them in command of the church of their country...

It seems only a matter of time before a the monarch of a major nation
    will try to use this as a weapon in thier struggle to increase thier
    power of thier own people.
  • In the far north in desperate attempts to reform the Calmar Union united around a danish monarch, Kristian II forever to be remembered as "the tyrant" by the Swedish people, orders the execution of every leading
    Swedish noble man after conquering the capital of Stockholm.

However unrest is growing and a young nobleman named Gustav Erikson Vasa leads a peasent revolt against the Danes, soon reconquering Stockholm and throwing out the Danish armies.
  • In both Spain and the Austria the mighty Habsburg family in an effort to unify their holdings, has appointed the same man to lead the countries.
    In Spain the crowning of a foreigner has resulted in nothing but resentment, soon enough several major cities are revolting against thier new king.
    However these revolts are both losely lead and ill coordinated, they are doomed to fall within short...
  • In northern Spain a French invassion army has been sighted, and another French army is headed for the Italian city state of Milan...

FMK is first to go

PBEM map (this was made by Grotghar for the old 30 years war pbem and then edited for new borders by me btw) :
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	europe.gif
Views:	184
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	29616  

Last edited by Henrik; November 18, 2002 at 16:51.
Old November 18, 2002, 11:25   #2
SunTzu
Prince

Local Time: 11:12
HIp HIp Hooray!
First duty of Spain is that we vow to protect the German lands that belong to our Austrian friends and the French will not win the war! mwhaha!
Old November 18, 2002, 11:50   #3
Darius871
Civilization II PBEM
Emperor

Local Time: 06:12
Could you post the version for SP or email it to me, or are you secretive about it? I can't seem to find a thread on this at SL...
Old November 18, 2002, 12:14   #4
SunTzu
Prince

This is a test PBEM, atleast i think so....?
Old November 18, 2002, 12:31   #5
Darius871
Civilization II PBEM
Emperor

Local Time: 06:12
Yeah I know but I saw the map and description and was dying to take a look at it.
Old November 18, 2002, 12:33   #6
Choke
Prince

Local Time: 03:12
I think including a Polish or Tartar civ would have been better than including Denmark but it does look interesting nonetheless.
Old November 18, 2002, 16:06   #7
Henrik
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-CreationNationStatesMacCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontSpanish CiversCivilization IV Creators
Emperor

Originally the Polish-Lithuanian comonewalth was indeed a civ, that did not work out well for playability reasons though
I've had to work a lot on the civ selection for this one (a lot of civs has gone in and out).

Keep in mind though that in 1520 Denmark was dominating northern europe, and the Danish Monarch was the second richest in europe (later on posing as the personal money lender of Elizabeth I).
Old November 18, 2002, 16:53   #8
Henrik
Emperor

Oh and here is a pic of the ingame map as well
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	ingamemap.gif
Views:	168
Size:	3.4 KB
ID:	29632  
Old November 18, 2002, 17:06   #9
Dr. Nick
Spanish CiversApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 08:12
Oi!
Old November 18, 2002, 18:16   #10
klesh
King

Local Time: 07:12
Henrik, gonna need the linky-poo to the sound zip. Mine was corrupted upon DL it seems.

-FMK.
Old November 18, 2002, 18:59   #11
JMarks
Civilization II PBEM
Prince

Can't wait!

Oh, and the Austrain Emperor, Marcus Johan Sebastian I, known as Marky by his best friends, accepts his ally's generous offer and offers his hand should he be able to assist his most honorable ally and friend.

Let the game begin!!! (soon I hope)

Old November 18, 2002, 19:36   #12
klesh
King

Local Time: 07:12
Greetings to the Kings of Europae!
The noble and wise King Kristian d' Kleshzøøp sends his warmest regards. He would like to wish all rules on the continent a long and prosperous reign!

For international matters, Kristian would like to repair his nation's relationship with their kindred nordsmen, the Swedes. "Hej dear Gustav! We needn't be enemies!" Our two likeminded peoples must live in harmony in Scandinavia. We both realize the vastness of the Independent States to the south, ripe for the pickings. There is no need to toil with this endless war at our doorsteps. Let us befoul the lands of those to our south, not those of one another.

We wish there to be a renewal of the Calmar Union. But things may be different this time, and there needn't be one ruling nation within. We believe that this is in the best interest of both of our Kingdoms.

Perhaps we might base this Union in Danzig, as its neutrality ensures the duality needed in the new Union.

As a sign of our goodwill and understanding, we propose a cessesion of hostilities, a signing of peace and a trade of cities.

It is clear that our city of Duved is within Swedish national boundaries (if based on geography), as well, the Swedish city of Elfsborg lies within the Danish sphere. I propose that the inhabitants of these cities declare their allegiance to their new rulers. This is an offer with the best of intentions, being that you would recieve 100,000 more deciples than I in the exchange plus the peace we both need.

To disregard this generous offer of peace is to show the rulers of Europe your true intentions... To wipe the world clean of the Danish kingdom. I appeal to you in the intrests of the Almighty. Peace in our time Gustav, peace in our time.

-Kristian d' Kleshzøøp.
Attached Files:
File Type: net denmov1520.net (435.7 KB, 4 views)
Old November 19, 2002, 02:10   #13
winterfritz
Prince

Henrik, due to exams (last one tomorrow! ) I haven't managed to download your scen yet... and now the link that you sent me refuses to work Could you send me another link, or maybe just the whole scen (without sounds)?

The Sublime Porte is looking forward to playing his turn
Old November 19, 2002, 02:10   #14
Henrik
Emperor

Sorry to dissapoint you my dear brother Kristian but there shall be no more Calmar Union, and I will definatly not concede Elfsborg my one atlantic port to you!
Especially not in exchange of a backwater up in the northern woods.

Sweden is however interested in peace, and will carry on with this war untill a more suitable (ie no concessions from either side) treaty is proposed...
Old November 19, 2002, 02:15   #15
Henrik
Emperor

Sorry 'fritz but the files are too big for your hotmail account
Could you make some space? (or is 1,4 mb too big for hotmail permanently?)

The error will be fixed within 48 hours, but I'd like to get this moving before that.
Old November 19, 2002, 18:26   #16
Case
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 21:12
Hotmail can't handle anything over 1 Mb ever
'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon
Old November 20, 2002, 02:08   #17
Henrik
Emperor

Ok, the links shoudl start working again today anyway...
Old November 20, 2002, 13:03   #18
JMarks
Civilization II PBEM
Prince

Hooray! Lets play!

Old November 21, 2002, 18:58   #19
winterfritz
Prince

I got the files! My turn shall follow shortly...
Old November 21, 2002, 20:05   #20
winterfritz
Prince

The new Ottoman sultan Winterfritz I, crowned today in Constantinople following the death of Selim the Grim, has promised his loyal subjects that he will inaugurate a new age of glory and fortune for the invincible Ottoman sultanate, which after less that 200 years of history is one of the most powerful empires in Europe and the Middle East.

Already Winterfritz has made clear that the aggressive frontier policy of his predescessor will be continued in his reign. In a surprise campaign this year, the Ottomans have captured the city of Palma in the Balearic Islands. The area, under threat from the Spanish rebels fighting Charles V, was easy pickings for the unstoppable armies of the sultan.

However, the open-minded Sublime Porte has made it clear that he is more than open to peace with the Christian nations of the West. Christianity and Islam have co-existed for a long time; and Winterfritz sees no need to continue trying to upset the delicate balance between East and West in Europe. To this end the Sultan hereby offers treaties of peace to the nations of France, Denmark, Sweden, Austria and England.

However, Winterfritz would like to warn the Holy Roman Emperor in Austria against any expansion to the south, in the direction of the crumbling Kingdom of Hungary. Such expansion will be viewed as an act of aggression against Ottoman interests in the region, and the Sultan would like to point out that the Emperors in Vienna can easily expand to the north instead, where they are opposed by no one but the fragmented and disunited German principalities.

Long live the Ottoman Sultan, Winterfritz I!
Attached Files:
File Type: net turk1520.net (435.7 KB, 2 views)
Old November 22, 2002, 02:10   #21
JMarks
Civilization II PBEM
Prince

Emperor Karl recieved the Ottoman post concerning the proposed peace. He reads it and half smiles, knowing that peace with the Turks is a good thing. However, he noticed that Sultan Winterfritz did not offer peace to the Christian nation of Hungary. So immediatly he writes.

'Good Sultan Winterfritz, thank you for your post and offer of peace. While it is in my best interest to accept this peace, I insist you offer peace to my southern neighbor as well, for they are in good terms with all other nations. Surely they are worthy of the same peace offered all other Christian nations. Indeed, I would suggest a pact to keep this state nuetral between us. After all, an attack on Hungry is a threat to the other.

As far as Germany is concerned, as the Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire, they owe alligiance to me. Sometimes they can be upstarts, but Germans tend to be like that. Thus they are all under my care and protection. 'Expansion' as you call it is not the name of the business there.

I hope that this letter finds its way to you. May God have mercy upon your soul.
Attached Files:
File Type: net austria1520.net (435.7 KB, 2 views)
Old November 22, 2002, 18:49   #22
Henrik
Emperor

The treaty of Helsingborg
After extensive negotiations in the area surounding the danish city of Helsingborg the Swedish-Danish war has come to an end.
The treaty that was agreed to is as follows:
  1. In the name of the most holy and individual Trinity: Be it known to all, and every one whom it may concern, or to whom in any manner it may belong, That for many Years past, Discords and Civil Divisions being stir'd up in the Union of Calmar.
  2. §The Union of Calmar signed in 1397, is hereby declared to be void.
    The union is divided into Sweden, which is constituted by the same lands as whence it entered the union in 1397, and Denmark who still holds the right to the lands of Norway.
  3. §Denmark fully recognice Sweden as an independent Nation ruled by the Monarch Gustav Eriksson Vasa, and she no longer has any right to interfere in Swedish politics.
  4. §Sweden and Denmark shall be at peace for atleast a glorious 50 years before any renegotiations may take place.
  5. §While this war has been the cause of much suffering as well as financial loss, no side binds itself to pay any indemnities or reparations to the other: What has been done, has been done.

Signed:

Gustav I Eriksson Vasa
    Kristian II d' Kleshzøøp

Done, pass'd and concluded at Helsingborg in Scania, the 22th Day of November, 1520.
Old November 22, 2002, 19:24   #23
SunTzu
Prince

No peace with the Spanish, Sultan?
Old November 23, 2002, 19:35   #24
Patient English
Prince

Nouvelles Françaises
Our gracious and munificent monarch, François 1er, has let it be known he bears no country in Europe any ill-will: except for the perfidious Spanish.

Our armies march over les Montagnes Pyrénées this very year....

In matters of religion though, we have to concur with the Spanish - this Protestant Reformation is dangerous, and must be countered by all good Christians. Short of overt military action, France stays loyal to the Pope.
Attached Files:
File Type: net france1520.net (435.7 KB, 2 views)
Old November 24, 2002, 02:30   #25
winterfritz
Prince

Quote:
No peace with the Spanish, Sultan?
The glorious and munificent Sultan, Winterfritz I, is displeased that the Spanish continue to oppress lands in North Africa that are rightfully ours (Oran). The Christian occupation of this Muslim territory precludes the possibility of any peace between Spain and the Ottomans.

Perhaps this hatchet could be buried, however, if a return of this territory to its true owners (ie the Ottomans) could be arranged.

Last edited by winterfritz; November 24, 2002 at 02:43.
Old November 24, 2002, 02:54   #26
winterfritz
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Emperor Karl
'Good Sultan Winterfritz, thank you for your post and offer of peace. While it is in my best interest to accept this peace, I insist you offer peace to my southern neighbor as well, for they are in good terms with all other nations. Surely they are worthy of the same peace offered all other Christian nations. Indeed, I would suggest a pact to keep this state nuetral between us. After all, an attack on Hungry is a threat to the other.

As far as Germany is concerned, as the Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire, they owe alligiance to me. Sometimes they can be upstarts, but Germans tend to be like that. Thus they are all under my care and protection. 'Expansion' as you call it is not the name of the business there.

I hope that this letter finds its way to you. May God have mercy upon your soul.
To the wise and generous ruler of Austria, the Emperor Karl I:

The Sultan's move into Hungarian territory is the legitimate Ottoman response to a state that has endangered our Balkan interests many times in the past. While we regret that you do not view our impending occupation of Hungary in the same light, we assure you that the Christians in the area will in no way be persecuted or prevented from practicing their religion.

We are saddened that you see the need for a neutral buffer state between our peoples. There is no need to distrust our intentions; we look forward to proving to be friendly and tolerant neighbours of yours once the Hungarian frontier with Austria has become the Turkish frontier with Austria.

With warmest regards from Winterfritz I, Ottoman Sultan by grace of Allah the Great and the Merciful
Old November 24, 2002, 03:20   #27
SunTzu
Prince

Oran for which Turk City? Palma purhaps?
Old November 24, 2002, 18:30   #28
winterfritz
Prince

Surely the good Spanish ruler jests. Why should we offer Turkish territory for that which is rightfully ours in the first place?
Old November 24, 2002, 19:36   #29
JMarks
Civilization II PBEM
Prince

To the cursed Sultan,

You speak gently of peace, and yet you prepare for war. The Hungrians, while being a pest in the past to you and I both, are no longer a threat and are very docile. And while you proclaim no persecution, how can I trust Ottoman when thats all they have done to my Christian brothers in the past? You shall leave Hungry be or face me and all the Christian peoples. Any further encrouchment in Christian Europe shall be seen as an immediate declaration of war.

In His Holiest Name
Karl Van Shrader
Old November 25, 2002, 01:13   #30
Case
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 21:12
SunTzu, it's your turn
'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon