Old November 19, 2002, 03:02   #1
Zkribbler
Deity

Local Time: 04:15
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Thief 3 - Coming Soon [?]
I just visited the Ion Storm website.

They have a webpage up for Thief III, which says the website is "coming soon." That must mean the project is nearing completion. Right?? It's just gotta mean that.
Old November 19, 2002, 06:02   #2
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 12:15
The only thing that will mean the project is nearing completion is an end-of-beta or gold announcement, but I admire your optimism
Old November 19, 2002, 07:32   #3
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 22:15
Yay!

Hopefully the enemy is kewl like the Trickster, and not annoying like Karras.
If they get the atmosphere right like the first 2 games, this will be one hot title.
Old November 19, 2002, 16:35   #4
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 07:15
Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns
Hopefully the enemy is kewl like the Trickster, and not annoying like Karras.
If they get the atmosphere right like the first 2 games, this will be one hot title.
Gawd Karras sucked! Though, he actually looked mean and all bad-ass in his control room, but his voice was just annoying!

I still keep meaning to play through these games again, but new games keep taking precedence. They are just great, especially with FSAA!
Old November 19, 2002, 17:32   #5
Lemmy
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Spartans
King

Local Time: 13:15
hmm,, i still have to play thief 1 and 2...*sigh* so many games, so little time, or money..
<Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!
Old November 19, 2002, 19:16   #6
CapitanGarlic
NationStates
Prince

There was a website for Team Fortress two. That was two years ago.

I wouldn't get my hopes up just because of a website.
Old November 19, 2002, 19:25   #7
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

At least Thief 1 and 2 should be cheap as, now. The major problem is actually finding them for sale.
Old November 20, 2002, 11:52   #8
dudemanjack
Warlord

It just says that the website is coming soon...not the actual game
Old November 21, 2002, 00:49   #9
Zkribbler
Deity

Dammit dudemanjack, stop dumping your truth into the middle of my delusional fantasy!!
Old November 21, 2002, 01:12   #10
Skanky Burns

Oh well, you can always play the originals again. And try challenges like playing through an entire mission without saving, and getting all the loot.
I managed that with the first 3 missions.
Old November 23, 2002, 10:13   #11
Traianvs
BtS Tri-League
King

Local Time: 13:15
Noway, i know the maps inside out but i still can't find all the loot (sometimes it's too dark to see the loot), or secret rooms...

a good challenge is to play on expert level, because you can't kill anyone, which is nearly impossible, because the moment a guard sees you, you can't knock him down anymore with your blackjack, and you can't run around with 20 guards on your tail...it's nearly impossible imo
Old November 23, 2002, 13:45   #12
Chowlett
Alpha Centauri PBEM
King

Local Time: 11:15
Skanky - I don't know about the rest of the world (which you fall into, unfortunately), but GAME in the uk are selling Thiefs 1 and 2 for £5 each, or £10 for 3 games. I don't think the deal stands online, but you might be able to pick 'em up from www.game.uk.com

Hmm, actually checking, they only list Thief 2, Out of stock, at £10
"They offer us some, but we have no place to store a mullet." - Chegitz Guevara
Old November 23, 2002, 19:28   #13
Zkribbler
Deity

Yeah the manufacturer Lookinglass went out of business. Luckily, the designers migrated over to Ion Storm, where they're now working on Thief 3.

But if you see any Thief 1's or Thief's, buy 'em up. A few years ago, I gave away Talisman, a really cool board game. Today, it's selling on ebay for $400.
Attached Images:

Old November 24, 2002, 05:28   #14
Skanky Burns

Quote:
Originally posted by Trajanus
Noway, i know the maps inside out but i still can't find all the loot (sometimes it's too dark to see the loot), or secret rooms...

a good challenge is to play on expert level, because you can't kill anyone, which is nearly impossible, because the moment a guard sees you, you can't knock him down anymore with your blackjack, and you can't run around with 20 guards on your tail...it's nearly impossible imo
I did mean on expert level.
The trick is to not let the guards see you.

I found Thief 1 and later 2 at my local store in the bargain bin. Definately a bargain. There were like 5 copies total, and they disappeared very quickly. Ebay is always a good place to look for these things too.
Old December 1, 2002, 04:29   #15
Moral Hazard
King

Thief was cool when it first came out. Because it was new and different. Other games have employed sneaking better(NOLF), and not being able to kill people isn't fun it's annoying. My prediction is it will be more of the same (living city will be **** canned) and thus a title I will certainly pass up.
Old December 1, 2002, 08:26   #16
Skanky Burns

If you play on non-expert levels, you can kill people, and quite easily too. An arrow through the neck of an unaware guard = an easy kill.

/me heads off to check out NOLF.
Old December 1, 2002, 21:59   #17
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Trajanus
a good challenge is to play on expert level, because you can't kill anyone, which is nearly impossible, because the moment a guard sees you...
An even greater challenge is to not disturb ANY guards at all, blackjack or otherwise.

Of course, there are a few times you absolutely have to, but it makes for a thief's thief type game.
Old December 2, 2002, 02:46   #18
Skanky Burns

Quote:
... and the Manfools piled rock on rocks and raised a treesie roof,
Hammers saws tear the skin of goodsie wood ... and laughs at the Woodsie Lord.
... and when learns the Lord of this, He sends His beastesses to the Manfools...
... who attacks and hammers saws their useless fleshes
And build him a house of they rotting skins.

- Unattributed Trickster Song.
Old December 2, 2002, 03:16   #19
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Local Time: 05:15
I eagerly anticipate Thief 3, whenever it comes out.
Old December 4, 2002, 21:12   #20
Skanky Burns

I absolutely love the atmosphere in this game.
Here is another quote from between missions.
Quote:
Builds your roofs of dead wood.
Builds your walls of dead stone.
Builds your dreams of dead thoughts.
Comes crying laughing singing back to life, takes what you steal,
And pulls the skins from your dead bones shrieking.

- A clay tablet in an abandoned Trickster temple.
And I have now finished the Assassins mission on expert level without saving, getting all loot. I did badly in several sections, such as blundering into the guard control room and getting two guards after me (setting off the alarm in the house), and later on blundering into the barracks area, getting about 6 guards after me at once. I used up 4 flash-bombs to escape from that.

(The effect of the smilie is lost when it is wearing a Christmas hat)