Old November 19, 2002, 12:10   #1
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 11:16
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Ascetic Virtue - Who here likes this SP?
Ascetic Virtues to my mind is one of those mid-game hidden gems of an SP.

At first glance folks look at AV and think primarily of the population restriction relaxation. +2 pop points translates on averge to an additional 10 factors of production.

While that is significant, I personally love the extra +1 Police. Almost every faction can make use of this extra police effect.

Everyone knows it a godsendd to Yanger as he gets to the +3 (double police effect) whilst running Police SE. Thats up to 9 pop points quelled by simply having 3 non lethals.

Morgie benefits from the pop limit raise but also in SMAX can run FM and have a Brood Pit to get to -2 police thereby allowing him a base for Noodles and Choppers without having to put in a Punishment Sphere.

Santi goes to +2 Police running anything other than Police meaning she can use 3 units for police effect (6 pop points quelled if units are nonlethal method units. Wow!!!)

All other factions save the Angels in SMAX go to +1 Police which allows 2 units for police effect (4 pop points quelled using non-lethal methods) when running SE choices other than Police or FM.

What this means is AV is a wonderful SP to have when going on the offensive and taking base after base. 2 or more (depending on faction) non lethal units in the freshly captured base often times more than easily quell all resistance and allow the newly aquired base to get off the ground running. 1-1-1 NL's are to my mind the cheapest and easiest form of drone control in the game.

You normally hear little on this little gem of an SP but I think its utility is well worth it between the extra pop points and the cheap drone control whats not to love other than it comes a bit after the major goodies in the early game.

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter
Old November 19, 2002, 16:05   #2
Earwicker
Civilization II Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 06:16
Yep, it's a beaut!!! Not a game breaker like the CF or Cloning Vats, but a good solid boost to your faction's power.
Old November 19, 2002, 16:50   #3
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 07:16
I've changed alphax.txt so AV comes earlier, so that it actually has a use- especially for Morgan.
Old November 19, 2002, 17:17   #4
BustaMike
The Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Local Time: 03:16
Location: You think you're better than me? You've been handling my ass pennies!!!
Ogie, don't forget that as Santi running Free Market with the Ascetic Virtues you no longer get drones for military units outside your territory. It's a great way to earn money and do a little killing at the same time.
Old November 19, 2002, 17:21   #5
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Local Time: 08:16
yup, i love it. especially great for free market, allows you to have a sizeable air force in bases with brood pits (which are also great )
Old November 19, 2002, 19:15   #6
Mongoose
ACDG The Free Drones
King

Local Time: 06:16
Quote:
Originally posted by Anun Ik Oba
I've changed alphax.txt so AV comes earlier, so that it actually has a use- especially for Morgan.
If you have Morganic bases pushing the hab limits before you get to Planetary Econ, you aren't building enough bases.
Old November 19, 2002, 20:49   #7
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 13:16
Quote:
Originally posted by TKG
yup, i love it. especially great for free market, allows you to have a sizeable air force in bases with brood pits (which are also great )
I would say only for FM. Due to those overly powerful brood pits, you can reach +3 Police by various means, reducing the value of the Ascetic Virtues and the Police increasing SE choices as a whole.

Brood Pits are bad and unbalancing.
Old November 20, 2002, 03:12   #8
Sikander
King

Local Time: 04:16
Yes, it's one of my favorites, and is right on my research path most of the time.
Old November 20, 2002, 13:02   #9
Straybow
Civilization II Succession GamesSpanish CiversPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesGalCiv Apolyton EmpireTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

Gotta love it. I always play blind research, which means you don't really get to plan to get any specific SPs. There are some I'd prefer over AV, but I'm never unhappy finding it on my build list.
Old November 20, 2002, 16:34   #10
Alinestra Covelia
ACDG The Human HiveRise of Nations Multiplayer
Queen

Local Time: 07:16
From a design viewpoint, I think Ascetic Virtues is a good SP. It's not too powerful, but if properly used it's a good bonus for any faction.

I always thought the late game SPs were far too powerful. Does anybody know of any mod or hack that can allow you to change the powers of the SPs? I think at least we should have SPs that eliminate negative SE effects for all the SE choices, making them more valuable to some factions than to others.
Old November 20, 2002, 18:30   #11
Hendrik
Warlord

Brood pits are pretty powerful, but they come LATE in the game, and they are on a side of the tech tree that is rarely researched. I think they are fine... they allow a faction running FM to have 1 drone if more than 2 military units supported by that base are out of territory, and they give a police boost to any other non FM running faction. You would need to build a brood pit in each and every base to have the benefits fully realized.

Maybe +1 police would be better... but I think the lateness of these facilities somewhat change the unbalancing affect. Punishment sphere bases are even easier... and come earlier in the tech tree.

I never get bases above size 4 with Morgan until planetary econ anyways... and then this is a important tech. It comes just at the right place in the tech tree too- hybrid forests make large bases very productive.
Old November 20, 2002, 22:30   #12
Frankychan
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 01:16
Love the Ascetic Virtues!

As a true Hiver, I play Police State, Planned, [Knowledge] or [Power], and Thought Control. This SP has helped me out a lot!

"...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis
Old November 21, 2002, 01:21   #13
BustaMike
The Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Local Time: 03:16
Location: You think you're better than me? You've been handling my ass pennies!!!
I always use wealth with the Hive. You gotta maximize that industry bonus, and the effective +1 energy every base ('cept your capital) is really nice too.
Old November 21, 2002, 02:39   #14
Sikander
King

Quote:
Originally posted by BustaMike
I always use wealth with the Hive. You gotta maximize that industry bonus, and the effective +1 energy every base ('cept your capital) is really nice too.
Yep, Police / Planned / Wealth, with crawlers and lots of Librarians is an early game juggernaut. Use police to take care of drones, crank out the crawlers. If your infrastructure can handle it you can even go for a GA pop boom.
Old November 21, 2002, 05:33   #15
Main_Brain
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Free Drones
King

too bad Industry Bonus is Topped at 5 Planned Eudamony % Domai=> Baaaad Time
Old November 21, 2002, 07:24   #16
Jethro83
Prince

Local Time: 21:16
Its definitely a project I have great appreciation for. Especially when Spartans (already +1 Police) and Hive (designed for police state). And relaxed pop limit means more energy and minerals brought back to the base.

I hold high regard for everything about it from its effects to Yang's blurb related to it.
Old November 22, 2002, 05:28   #17
Kirov
Prince

Yang's blurb is indeed very great...

As for me, AV is one of the SPs I want to have, but not must-have. Every bonus in SE settings is very good and must be considered, as it can often make your SE choices more flexible.
Old November 22, 2002, 18:00   #18
Aaron Blackwell
Alpha Centauri Democracy Game
Warlord

I am also a great fan of the Ascetic Virtue.

Mostly for the reason most of you mentioned ( + police for Yang, Santiago or any other under FM).

But this SP really shines in the hand of the UN peackeeper.

It magnigies one their best bonus => +2 pop per bases augmenting it to +4 per bases !!! ==>> SUPER BASES !!

And this in turn , further ehance their other bonuses.
More pop equal more votes for planetary governor and more importantly for a blietzkrieg diplomatic victory.

Also, by allowing so much more pop per bases and with the bonus to police, it greatly reduce the penalty in effiency for the UN, first because they can get more energy with less bases and second because they will get less drones thanks to the police bonus and the fact that they need less bases.