Old November 21, 2002, 05:32   #1
Choke
Prince

Local Time: 03:21
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Cheating in PBEMs

Last edited by Choke; November 22, 2002 at 20:40.
Old November 21, 2002, 06:55   #2
Case
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 21:21
I discussed this in my article on cheating in the first issue of SLM. Basically, while it would be effective in deterring cheating, it strikes me as being something of an over reaction banning people from a site as large and varied as Apolyton or CFC.

On the other hand, the moderator of the PBEM forum could impliment a better targeted version of what Choke suggests by running IP checks on new players
'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon
Old November 21, 2002, 08:23   #3
Dr. Nick
Spanish CiversApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 08:21
For ISPs where IPs are recycled, an IP ban is worthless.
Old November 21, 2002, 10:03   #4
Pavlov
Civilization II PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 12:21
Migh I suggest a two strikes you're out-system? One offence is "acceptable" but a second means banning.

-Homer Simpson
Old November 21, 2002, 12:01   #5
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

Local Time: 06:21
IIRC, the mods have only perma-banned two people, YYYH and Spink. Even civnation has been told that he can come back if he promises not to go all anti-homosexual again

So I have a hard time believing that the admins would ever adopt your proposal.

Besides, what you are suggesting doesn't actually prevent cheating, it prevents people from cheating again. How does the old saying go? Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me. If someone has been caught cheating, other players don't have to let them join in another game.
Old November 21, 2002, 12:02   #6
techumseh
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 05:21
One offence is not "acceptable". I think cheating is always unacceptable. However, in some cases, where the cheater admits the action, is sorry for it, and undertakes to promote honesty in PBEM gaming, then the community may decide to allow them to continue in the game(s) they are involved in on a probationary basis.

We need to promote a culture where no self respecting gamer would even think of cheating. IMHO this won't be accomplished if every time someone is caught, most of the players say, " Oh, he's sorry, let's let him continue." This should be the exception, not the rule. In Pavlov's case, he is willing to take part in the debate, even after being caught, and I think that's healthy.

Rather than a strict "one strike and you're out" policy, I think fear of exposure is more effective. I'd like to see more random audits of games by experienced and neutral third parties. While we recently had an unfortunate experience with this in the Mongols game, I think it can work if we have stronger rules about attempting to contact suspected cheaters before going to the forums.

Hats off to Case for his efforts to bring this issue to the attention of the community and to make PBEM cheating unacceptable.
Old November 21, 2002, 12:07   #7
Dr. Nick
Spanish CiversApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 08:21
Boddington is Spink.
Old November 21, 2002, 12:47   #8
Choke
Prince

Last edited by Choke; November 22, 2002 at 20:40.
Old November 21, 2002, 13:46   #9
yop73
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red Front
Prince

Maybe we could start a self-help therapy group for ex-cheaters?
Old November 21, 2002, 18:10   #10
The ANZAC
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Actually, I don't think cheaters should be banned. The forum shouldn't have control who plays in what game. If the people in a certain PBEM want that cheater to play fine, if they don't, fine as well. The forum should however keep track of DLs so we don't get cheaters coming back under aliases. That's my two cents.
Old November 21, 2002, 18:11   #11
Case
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by El Awrence
Boddington is Spink.
And YYYH also returned under a different name. From what I understand, Markos and Dan didn't want to perma-ban those guys, but were pressured into it by the then owners of Aployton's server.
'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
Old November 21, 2002, 18:15   #12
The ANZAC
King

Why did they get banded, again? I think I might have heard it before....
Old November 21, 2002, 18:50   #13
Case
Emperor

They did something extrodinarily dumb on another of the then gamestats forums (flame wars and mass spamming from memory), and the admin of the Gamestats network decided to make an example of them. From what I've read, had they not been banned, Markos and Dan would have lost the site.
Old November 21, 2002, 20:16   #14
Kull
lifer
King

Local Time: 04:21
Some combination of Awareness & Public Humiliation is better than banning, IMO. Why not establish a "sticky thread" that lists Name, Date, & Sordid Details for anyone caught cheating? Sort of a modern version of the "Stocks" of yore.....

(Then all we'd need is a cool new smiley depicting the "throwing of the rotten tomato")
Old November 21, 2002, 20:59   #15
Case
Emperor

I like that idea
Old November 21, 2002, 21:41   #16
MagyarCrusader
Civilization II PBEM
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Case
They did something extrodinarily dumb on another of the then gamestats forums (flame wars and mass spamming from memory), and the admin of the Gamestats network decided to make an example of them. From what I've read, had they not been banned, Markos and Dan would have lost the site.

Hell I did that on these forums back in the day and I didn't get banned.
Old November 21, 2002, 22:27   #17
The ANZAC
King

Public humiliation sounds like an interesting prospect
Old November 22, 2002, 00:53   #18
Choke
Prince

Last edited by Choke; November 22, 2002 at 20:41.
Old November 22, 2002, 12:57   #19
yop73
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red Front
Prince

Quote:
Some combination of Awareness & Public Humiliation is better than banning, IMO. Why not establish a "sticky thread" that lists Name, Date, & Sordid Details for anyone caught cheating? Sort of a modern version of the "Stocks" of yore.....
Don't you think that's a bit medievil??? I think the people in the thread should descide for themselves, and we should not mark a person because he cheated once.
Old November 22, 2002, 13:25   #20
conmcb25
inmate
Civilization III Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization II Succession GamesPtWDG2 MonkeyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliScenario League / Civ2-CreationAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG3 MorganApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization II MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPolyCast TeamCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Deity

Local Time: 07:21
Quote:
Originally posted by yop73

Don't you think that's a bit medievil??? I think the people in the thread should descide for themselves, and we should not mark a person because he cheated once.
Some of us are medieval Yop, I dont neccessarily agree with Choke but I do agree with Case, have a sticky that ID's cheaters, but it should be up to the individual group playing in a thread whether thay want that person to play or not. The only way I found out about PAVLOV was I was wondering how another game was going so I popped in for the first time to that thread, then I saw it. If I would not have gone there I might have never known. And anyone deserves a second chance, but myself I would prefer to know the facts then make a decision on whether a prior cheater should play or not. Hence the sticky with the offenders posted. Just MHO BTW.
Old November 22, 2002, 15:50   #21
Choke
Prince

Last edited by Choke; November 22, 2002 at 20:46.
Old November 22, 2002, 16:00   #22
conmcb25
inmate
Civilization III Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization II Succession GamesPtWDG2 MonkeyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliScenario League / Civ2-CreationAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG3 MorganApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization II MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPolyCast TeamCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Choke
Why do you guys have such a wishy-washy opinion on banning? It's a necessary part of keeping forums civil.
Because banning is final, and it doesnt give someone a second chance, and it does not let the Democratic process work. ie the players in the threads get to decide. I dont consider that wishy washy, I consider that leaving options open for the individual or individuals to decide. And the Sticky IDing cheaters allows them to make an INFORMED decision.

That is Democracy in action, and that is why the good old USA is the Greatest Country in the world. (At least when the Republicans are in power.)
Old November 22, 2002, 16:20   #23
Choke
Prince

Last edited by Choke; November 22, 2002 at 20:46.
Old November 22, 2002, 16:51   #24
conmcb25
inmate
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Choke
Oh, ok the misguided belief in democracy is what results in these wimpy opinions . Seriously though this isn't a democracy, it's a dictatorship. Even if you want democracy, if enough people vote for something (like banning cheaters for instance) shouldn't it become law/policy in a democracy.

Also, I don't think someone shouldn't be given a second chance but if they're given say a second and third chance and continue cheating then I htink they ought to be banned.
I could go with banning after three strikes, becuase at that point the person is either to stupid or too twisted to stop.
Old November 22, 2002, 17:15   #25
Civfan
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 11:21
3 strikes and your out of the forum of pbem games is a good idea.

There should be however a long and thorough investigation before the person has been accused and banned from the system.

I for one was just recently accussed of cheating and I proven I was innocent. But the damage had been done. I left the game and now only partisipate in afew games.

The idea for banning cheaters is good but some type of system should be developed to discover who's been cheating. Maybe something along the lines of the websites developing the system though this is time consuming and troublesome for them. So any ideas?
Old November 22, 2002, 17:23   #26
conmcb25
inmate
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Civfan
3 strikes and your out of the forum of pbem games is a good idea.

There should be however a long and thorough investigation before the person has been accused and banned from the system.

I for one was just recently accussed of cheating and I proven I was innocent. But the damage had been done. I left the game and now only partisipate in afew games.

The idea for banning cheaters is good but some type of system should be developed to discover who's been cheating. Maybe something along the lines of the websites developing the system though this is time consuming and troublesome for them. So any ideas?
This is interesting! I didn't know you were a cheater er accussed but not convicted cheater. Ill have to reconsider whether I play PBEM's with you in the future.
Old November 22, 2002, 18:18   #27
The ANZAC
King

Choke: the site shouldn't interfere and ban people unless it is really necessary. Just because somebody cheats doesn't mean that they can't contribute to other parts of the forum, no? Also if no one would play with them if they feel he is a threat, so banning would be pointless. A thread on keeping track of cheaters and making sure DLs of them don't popup should be done though.
Old November 22, 2002, 18:33   #28
MagyarCrusader
Civilization II PBEM
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Kull

(Then all we'd need is a cool new smiley depicting the "throwing of the rotten tomato")
I second this motion.
Old November 22, 2002, 19:16   #29
conmcb25
inmate
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by The ANZAC
Choke: the site shouldn't interfere and ban people unless it is really necessary. Just because somebody cheats doesn't mean that they can't contribute to other parts of the forum, no? Also if no one would play with them if they feel he is a threat, so banning would be pointless. A thread on keeping track of cheaters and making sure DLs of them don't popup should be done though.
Ill second the ANZAC's motion
Old November 22, 2002, 19:46   #30
Choke
Prince

Last edited by Choke; November 22, 2002 at 20:36.