Old November 21, 2002, 08:33   #1
boojumhunter
Chieftain

Local Time: 06:22
Local Date: November 1, 2010
The Strategies of War
I'd like to know all the little tricks and tips you folks might have when it comes to waging war.

- If I can get a right of passage with a Civ comparable to my level of power I'll do two things asap.
a) Place 2-3 units on each resource and luxury I can get to.
b) Divide up their country with rows of units to disrupt their internal flow of movement.
Both of these things are put in place to either setup a devastatinh sneak attack OR to be prepared for when THEY attack me... nice to be able to sever all resources with one quick blow AND be able to slow down their movemnet of re-inforcements.

- I used to rush invade, takeover a city then rush an airport and immediately drop in 20-30 support units. Now with the ability to drop an airfield down with a worker, this is even cheaper and faster. Get the city then drop the airfield, then in come the troops... fast and deadly.

- Settlers as weapons of movement are rather impressive. Building cities as either movement corridors or front line M.A.S.H. units (when you don't have battelfield medicine) is great as a troop supporter.

- Setting up bait... I'll often leave a coastal city totally undefended if I'm spoiling for a war... it seems too attractive for the AI to ignore.

- Cavalry are one of favourite units (and Sipahi are Cavalry++) simply because of the increased movement. Nothing like a horde of horses for pushing the advance forward.

- Taking out Radar stations has become a must, making fast moving units even more important AND things like paratroopers now have a real use.

Any others? Obvious or not?
Old November 21, 2002, 09:54   #2
Worthingtons
Prince

Local Time: 11:22
I dont find the R.O.P a good one,as it cuts out the demo win option.

as for Cavalry, yes, they are now my favorite unit, following the sucess in my current game. after being hammered in the middle ages by the Germans, i was reduced virtually just to my core cities, so they all built flat out Knights, I beelined for Cavalry , and when i got it, my then 'puny' empire wiped the floor with the Germans. I am now almost twice the size (on the histogram) that i was back then thanks to Cav.

Anyway...

Probably my favorite tactic is to storm with Cavalry, whilst putting Ships (Usually Man O' War's) on the coast bombarding the hell out of the opponent. Attack with a Veteran (i dont do regulars), and when you have a pathetic opponent unit left kill him off with an Elite (Leaders!). If i attack inland cities i usually have to endure a loss or two, but i *always* combine arms when attacking from coast.

Another famous defensive one i used when the Americans attacked me, was to leave a border city (with enough of cultural border to stop cavalry attack) undefended with a pile of Infantry connected by the Railway. Lincoln sent the highest amount of troops i have ever seen in a stack to get the city (had 4 silks!!). After they were in my terrority, i picked them most of them off (that didnt escape) with Ready bombers,cannons and outdated Cavalry....... They didnt come back

One thing that makes me laugh , is in the middle of the middle ages the AI sends freakin loads of Longbowmen and Swordsmen to get you ... I say to that 'Thank you for some free great leaders!'
Apart from that, I dont use much other 'stratagy' and could do with learning myself.
Old November 21, 2002, 10:27   #3
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 12:22
If you're looking for strategies and like to share yours, I'd recommend you the Civ3 Strategy forum.
Old November 21, 2002, 11:35   #4
Mattaba
NationStates
Chieftain

Local Time: 13:22
I think this can be very helpfull: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=59216