Old November 22, 2002, 01:09   #1
GusSmed
Chieftain

Local Time: 11:25
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Unique Unit Grades (including PTW UU's)
Just for fun, I thought I'd run down my assessment of the Unique Units, particularly the new ones from Play The World.

My assumptions are that you're playing Emperor or Deity on a standard size map with 8 civs, so combat is fairly important, and you're frequently strong-arming techs out of other civs in the Ancient and early Middle Ages.

I also assume that while you may have some difficulty obtaining Horses or Iron in the Ancient era, typically by the time Knights show up you've conquered a couple of neighbors and getting both is easy.

I think the ideal time for a Golden Age is the early Middle Ages, just after you switch to Republic. Typically around 300 AD or so.

The earlier the Golden Age typically the better, because it fuels expansion. However, it's a bit of a waste to do so in the Ancient era, both because many of the extra shields are lost to Despotism, and because the extra trade isn't as important when you're extorting tech instead of researching it.

Move 2+ units are also preferable to Move 1 units, both because they get to the front faster, and because of the Retreat ability. Any sustained war needs relatively low attrition in the attacking forces, which means either fantastically better attack than defense (i.e. 3:1), heavy bombardment, or a fast attacker.

A
These units give a serious advantage when they show up.

Arab Ansar Warrior. Move 3 makes a huge difference in time moving through enemy territory, often cutting the time required to overrun an enemy civ in half. Cheaper than Knights, and the loss of 1 defense isn't something you miss at all. Like all Knight UU's, timing of the Golden Age is perfect.

Aztec Jaguar Warrior. A Jaguar Warrior force has a much higher upkeep than a Horseman force, since you need twice as many. Attrition tends to be a lot higher too. However, they're incredibly cheap, are available on turn 1, and require no resources in a period when getting Iron or Horses can be an issue. A Jaguar Warrior rush can occur even before an Archer rush, and is cheaper. They do trigger a Golden Age too early, though.

Chinese Rider. Same benefits as the Ansar Warrior, but more expensive.

Iroquois Mounted Warrior. While it has the unfortunate effect of triggering a Ancient golden age, the Mounted Warrior takes the preferred Ancient attack unit and increases its strength by 50%. Since it takes a long time for Knights to show up, the longevity, strength, and early appearance of the Mounted Warrior make up for the premature Golden Age.

Zulu Impi. Impi are a perfect counterpart to Horsemen, a cheap defensive unit that can keep up, and even retreats if things go against it. Since they're defensive, you don't build as many Impi as horsemen, but they do significantly reduce the attrition of your Horsemen.

B
These units give a nice advantage, but aren't as significant as the A units.

Egyptian War Chariot. Not being able to traverse jungle or mountains can be a problem, but they're cheap, and available well before Horsemen. The main advantage is the same as the Jaguar Warrior, a strong early rush when the enemy has almost nothing but Warriors and Spearmen.

German Panzer. Speed 3 is fantastic with Blitz units. The only reason they aren't A is that they come so late that the game is often decided before they show up.

Japanese Samurai. The extra defense point is nice, though not as useful as an extra attack point would be. Doesn't need Horses, but that's often unimportant.

Mongol Keshik. Cheaper than Knights, with an unimportant loss of a defense point. The ability to cross mountains cheaply is specialized, but can be extremely nice when otherwise a mountain in enemy territory would stop you dead. Doesn't require Iron, but that's often unimportant. Good timing for a Golden Age.

Ottoman Sipahi. 33% stronger than Cavalry for 25% more shields, and the bonus is on attack, rather than the less useful defense bonus of the Cossack. The extra attack helps reduce the attrition rate against Riflemen, which usually show up shortly afterward, but doesn't help much against Infantry.

Russian Cossack. The extra defense point can be nice, since the speed of Cossacks mean they far outrun your defensive units. Timing of the Golden Age is nice, but not ideal.

Scandanavian Berserk. On land, the expense and slow speed of the Berserk make regular Knights a better choice, much as Horsemen are a better choice than Swordsmen. Against Musketeers, they suffer more attrition than you really want. However, on ships, though, they effectively have move 3 or 4 through enemy territory, which is a tremendous advantage, provided the enemy has a fair number of coastal cities. Good timing for a Golden Age.

C
These units give a minimal advantage, or a small advantage and trigger a premature Golden Age.

Babylonian Bowman. Makes a decent Archer rush, since you don't need to mix them with Spearmen, but the window in which they're useful is quite short.

Celtic Gallic Swordsman. 50% stronger than Horsemen for 66% more shields. A Swordsman force does require less upkeep than a Horseman one, and it's possible you may only have Iron in the Ancient era. Unfortunately, the Swordsman doesn't upgrade to either Knights or Cavalry.

Greek Hoplite. Great defensive unit, and very cheap, but you shouldn't spend a lot of time defending. Attack, attack, attack. Hordes of these don't help that much.

Numidian Mercenary. Pretty much a Hoplite that costs 50% more with a nearly useless extra point of attack. A C- unit due to cost, but the extra point of defense does help.

Persian Immortal. Attack 4 makes them seem quite powerful for an Ancient unit, but they're slow, and Horsemen almost always get the first attack and hence eat them up.

Roman Legion. Good defense, not as cheap as Hoplites, but capable of attack as well. Too slow for a good attack unit.

D
These units convey no advantage at all. The only point of building them is to trigger a Golden Age.

Conquistador. Incredibly expensive and weak. The ability to raid into enemy territory isn't all that important, generally only netting you a few workers you would have picked up later anyway. Now and then they might be useful for pillaging a critical enemy resource.

English Man of War. While technically 50% stronger than Frigates, the window between Frigates and Ironclads is often just 8-10 turns.

French Musketeer. The extra attack point is useless, and Musketmen are poor units anyway.

Indian War Elephant. Requires neither Iron nor Horses, but otherwise uninteresting.

F
These units are not only bad, it's nearly impossible to trigger a Golden Age with one.

American F-15. Comes way too late in the game, improves a unit that's virtually useless, and improves Bombardment, which is a role better suited to Bombers anyway. Deliberately triggering a Golden Age with a F-15 is quite difficult.

Korean H'wacha. Which the bombardment strength is reasonably good, the H'wacha shows up just before Cavalry. Cavalry have no trouble at all overruning Musketmen, and only slightly more with Riflemen, and taking H'wacha along negates Cavalry's huge speed advantage. When Infantry shows up, so does Artillery, making the H'wacha obsolete. Worst of all, it can't trigger a Golden Age.

- Gus

Last edited by GusSmed; November 24, 2002 at 14:11.
Old November 22, 2002, 04:32   #2
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 07:25
while I reading this, I wondered if the Legion is now less valuable than it was before PTW? I have not use Zulu in a long time, but I would think the Impi is a bit more useful now than it was as there are more paths for upgrades. I actuall have not look to see if it can be up graded all the way to guerilla or not.
Old November 22, 2002, 08:53   #3
Killerdaffy
Warlord

Local Time: 12:25
Location: in other words a gang leader aspiring to Presidency
Re: Unique Unit Grades (including PTW UU's)
Quote:
Originally posted by GusSmed
Aztec Jaguar Warrior. A Jaguar Warrior force has a much higher upkeep than a Horseman force, since you need twice as many. Attrition tends to be a lot higher too. However, they're incredibly cheap, are available on turn 1, and require no resources in a period when getting Iron or Horses can be an issue. A Jaguar Warrior rush can occur even before an Archer rush, and is cheaper. They do trigger a Golden Age too early, though.
The too early (sometimes 2-city) GA is a major issue.

Quote:
Ottoman Sipahi. 33% stronger than Cavalry for 25% more shields, and the bonus is on attack, rather than the less useful defense bonus of the Cossack. The extra attack helps reduce the attrition rate against Riflemen, which usually show up shortly afterward, but doesn't help much against Infantry.

Russian Cossack. The extra defense point can be nice, since the speed of Cossacks mean they far outrun your defensive units. Timing of the Golden Age is nice, but not ideal.
The Sipahi is definitely an A (and in any case better than the Cossack). While they are expensive, this cost will mostly be paid in gold (mass upgrade from knights) and often be mitigated by Leonardo's. At the same time they adress the principal threat to Cavalry, emerging better defensive units (Riflemen). While it is not a MW the better chances for promotion and lower losses at a time when one big push can end the game (before the stalemate of industrial) make it a first-rate UU.

Now, compare that to the extra defense of the Cossack...

For the GA the Sipahi is quite late but the Ottomans can trigger it with a combination of Pyramids/GW/HG and Great Library also just at the right time (early Medieval).

Quote:
Roman Legion. Good defense, not as cheap as Hoplites, but capable of attack as well. Too slow for a good attack unit.
Legions have actually been improved by the new upgrade path to Medieval Infantry. At least now they aren't a dead end.
Old November 22, 2002, 14:17   #4
ducki
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?Apolyton University
King

Local Time: 05:25
I realize that this guide is geared towards attacking, but I feel that both the Hoplite and the Numi. Merc get a bad rap around here.

I really like the Merc, and by extension, the Hoplite.
Why?
It's a Pikeman.
At Bronzeworking.
I build defenders 1 time, in the early Ancient Age, and I don't have to upgrade until Nationalism.

I haven't done a cost-analysis on these, but I'm inclined to think an Ancient Age pikeman is far more valuable than it's given credit for, both in terms of upgrade costs and in terms of relative military strength in the eyes of the AI. What are the odds he's going to harass my 3-defense, fortified in towns, ancient era pikeman with his Archers? Surely there's a weaker enemy somewhere nearby...

And here's a challenge for you warmongers...
I recently started a Monarch game and got Egypt - my two neighbors are Greece and Carthage - two UUs I hate to have next door. I'll need an RoP or lots of Galleys to attack either of the other two AIs, Spain and Rome.

How do you wage early war on Carthage and Greece? Or even Rome? As far as UUs go, I think the Hoplite and Merc are strong, not because they grant you an offensive, expansionist bonus, but because once you've attained numerical superiority, it sure is tough for the AI to counter-attack, assuming they're even willing to dash themselves against your extra early Pikes.

That's just my opinion, though, and limited to Monarch at the top-end.
Old November 22, 2002, 14:50   #5
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 06:25
The only point attacking Greece in early game would be to on purpose trigure their GA with say Swordmen. (So your own GA isn't trigured)

Otherwise, I would wait for Knights or Calvary.

Carthrians though have an expensive UU, so you may be able to beat them if you attack with enough War Chariots. Or you could on purpose upgrade them to Horse Men if you don't want the GA.

Romans are very agressive once they have some Legionaries. It may be a good idea to lauch a preemptive war to secure the Iron if you know where it is and the Romans haven't connected it yet. But if the Romans have Legionaries, I'd recomend waiting for Knights or Calvary.

(Main reason I'm menting Knights is that your playing Monarch level. On Emperor level, I probably wouldn't be mentioning Knights unless you already had more cities than your oppoent by then.)

Additional note about playing Eqypt. Until your GA starts, you can just build War Chariots and upgrade them as you build them all the way up to Calvary. (Every time you discover a tech, you'll need to change orders back to War Chariots)

A similar advantage exists for all the Ancient Era and early middle ages UUs.
Old November 22, 2002, 15:15   #6
punkbass2000
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III Democracy GameApolyton UniversityCivilization III PBEM
King

Isn't the Num. Merc. a pikeman with an extra offense point (that comes with BW)? Sounds like a good deal to me... or do people just generally think 30 shields is too much for an ancient defense unit?
Old November 22, 2002, 16:13   #7
Fosse
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4WDG Stratega
King

Local Time: 05:25
Quote:

Scandanavian Berserk. On land, the expense and slow speed of the Berserk make regular Knights a better choice, much as Horsemen are a better choice than Swordsmen. In theory, you could haul them around on Galleys, adding 15 shields to the cost of using them, and both make them relatively immune to counter attack and upping the effective speed from 3 to 4. I haven't tried it though. Good timing for a Golden Age.
Haven't tried it? Then do so. You'll be in for more of a treat (and game breaker) than you might think.

I used 15 Berserkers to wipe out five civs in about 40 turns. Everything from spearmen in size one cities to riflemen in metropolises would fall.

The unit is hugely overpowered, both in its incredible high stats and the era in which it is usefull.
Old November 22, 2002, 17:33   #8
wilbill
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by punkbass2000
Isn't the Num. Merc. a pikeman with an extra offense point (that comes with BW)? Sounds like a good deal to me... or do people just generally think 30 shields is too much for an ancient defense unit?
Not sure what the anti-merc sentiment is about. As Ducki mentioned earlier, you build 'em early and everybody leaves you alone until Nationalism.
As far as the early GA is concerned, if you can refrain from attacking everyone in sight for a while, the Numidians can still trigger a GA well into the middle ages. Knock hit points off with Medieval Infantry and let the mercs clean up. I think they're a great unit.
Old November 22, 2002, 21:34   #9
GusSmed
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by ducki
I realize that this guide is geared towards attacking, but I feel that both the Hoplite and the Numi. Merc get a bad rap around here.

Why?
It's a Pikeman.
At Bronzeworking.
I build defenders 1 time, in the early Ancient Age, and I don't have to upgrade until Nationalism.
The Numidian Merc isn't exactly a bad unit, just mediocre. Yes, it's a Pikeman at Bronze Working, and the 30 shield cost isn't out of line for 3 defense. It's just that when you compare it to the Hoplite, which does the same job for 20 shields, you realize Carthage gets shortchanged. The attack of 2 is near-useless - who wants to pay 30 shields for an Archer?

Both the Hoplite and the Merc have the drawback that you don't get a huge benefit from building a lot of them. Once you have enough to do whatever defending you need, extras don't help you.

By contrast, building an extra Mounted Warrior speeds up the rate you can take cities by that much.

The AI, by the way, is kind of dopey about Numidian Mercs. In my last game, I had Mercs attacking my Knights instead of defending. Once I realized it was prone to do this, when a big stack of Mercs wandered by, I'd fortify my Knights and let them attack. Mercs attacking at 2:3 beats attacking them at 4:3, plus I get terrain and fortification bonuses, possibly making the difference 2:4.5 vs. 4:4.5, or roughly double the chance of winning each combat round.

Quote:
And here's a challenge for you warmongers...
I recently started a Monarch game and got Egypt - my two neighbors are Greece and Carthage - two UUs I hate to have next door. I'll need an RoP or lots of Galleys to attack either of the other two AIs, Spain and Rome.

How do you wage early war on Carthage and Greece? Or even Rome?
That's easy. Build more Horsemen. A force of 5 horsemen is almost always sufficient to take a town defended by Spearmen, and 7 horsemen is almost always enough to take one defended by Hoplites, Mercs, or Legions.

Against Hoplites or Mercs, bring along a spearman or two to defend if needed. Against legions, if you don't outnumber the enemy enough to wipe them out this turn, run and regroup - don't ever let them attack you.

- Gus
Old November 22, 2002, 21:41   #10
GusSmed
Chieftain

Re: Re: Unique Unit Grades (including PTW UU's)
Quote:
Originally posted by Fosse

Haven't tried it? Then do so. You'll be in for more of a treat (and game breaker) than you might think.
I've tried all of the Unique Units, or I wouldn't have written about them. What I haven't tried doing with the Berserker is trying to get real use out of their Amphibious ability by ferrying them around in Galleys.

On land, they're just not all that good. They're not bad, but Knights are still a better choice.

How many coastal cities can actually be attacked this way really depends on the map. On some maps, coastal cities are quite rare. On others, almost every city is a coastal city.

- Gus
Old November 23, 2002, 02:50   #11
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

Quote:
Originally posted by ducki

Why?
It's a Pikeman.
At Bronzeworking.
so is the legion. its 30 shield cost, need iron and def of 3 is exaclty that of from pikemen. Wat I do as romans is build all out legionaire as both defense and attack throughout anicent era to Nationalism. Only inner empires have spearmen since they are cheaper and they dont require as much protection. Once Nationalism comes, I invert my units. SPearmen gets upped to riflemen, and Legions stay in as MP.
Old November 23, 2002, 21:22   #12
Mazarin
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Prince

Why do you consider the immmortal that weak. It is -IMHO- one of the game's best UUs. Using the attack of a knight for half the price makes them useful -even against musketmen. I would say, the immortal is the best UU on medium maps or smaller.
Old November 24, 2002, 00:51   #13
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 23:25
I gotta agree about the Immortals. It's not for nothing that so many talk about how the Persians are one of the best civs in the game, that Immortals are truly lethal and that they turn up at a perfect time for crushng everything. We went to great lengths in the Civ3 Democracy game to ensure Persia did not get access to Iron and then crushed them so that they would never get it.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old November 24, 2002, 01:40   #14
Robber Baron
Prince

Re: Re: Re: Unique Unit Grades (including PTW UU's)
Quote:

What I haven't tried doing with the Berserker is trying to get real use out of their Amphibious ability by ferrying them around in Galleys.

How many coastal cities can actually be attacked this way really depends on the map. On some maps, coastal cities are quite rare. On others, almost every city is a coastal city.

- Gus
Send out some galley-loads, Gus. It's truly eye-opening. I hadn't expected such lopsided results, but then I sent out a mini-armada and razed the coastal layer of a far more powerful civ like I was peeling an orange.

I was so impressed I wrote it up:
http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=68665

Granted, this particular situation unfolded on an archipelago map. Still, I am now convinced this unit can do major damage in many other settings and scenarios.

Against any civ with large cities on coastlines, sea-borne zerkers cannot be effectively opposed until Magnatism -- and then only at the expense of floating a navy of Frigates. Zerkers totally tip the balance of the game in intercontinental warfare, and they do it exactly when I (at least) tend to need help the most. The golden age comes right in the middle of that medieval wonder-building sweet spot -- and (typically) right at about the time that I've secured control of my own continent and am ready to open my initial beachheads overseas.
Old November 24, 2002, 13:53   #15
GusSmed
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Mazarin
Why do you consider the immmortal that weak. It is -IMHO- one of the game's best UUs. Using the attack of a knight for half the price makes them useful -even against musketmen. I would say, the immortal is the best UU on medium maps or smaller.
When I first started playing, I thought the Immortal was great. However, Horsemen, despite having half the attack for the same cost, are much better units.

Against well played Horsemen, the Immortals never get to attack, so they're just expensive Spearmen. On the attack, that 4 attack which sounds so great still results in higher attrition during an assault than a Horseman attack, because they can't retreat when the rolls go against them, which they often do.

They're also slow, which means that they must spend at least one turn and usually two marching through enemy territory where they can be attacked, whereas Horsemen often can attack from safely within your territory. Even when they must stop in enemy territory due to a wide Culture border, they can often pick and choose locations where counterattacking them is difficult or impossible.

As I said in the initial post, you want your ongoing casualties to be light. Damage down to 1 HP is fine, provided you don't lose the unit. Acceptably low attrition requires either 3:1 attack:defense, a speed 2+ unit against speed 1 defenders, or bombardment.

3:1 isn't available all that often with speed 1 attackers. Berserkers against Spearmen is the only case I can recall. Sufficient Bombardment is hideously expensive until Artillery, and speed 2+ units are a better alternative except during the period between the introduction of Infantry and the appearance of Tanks.

- Gus
Old November 24, 2002, 14:08   #16
GusSmed
Chieftain

Re: Re: Re: Re: Unique Unit Grades (including PTW UU's)
Quote:
Originally posted by Robber Baron
Send out some galley-loads, Gus. It's truly eye-opening. I hadn't expected such lopsided results, but then I sent out a mini-armada and razed the coastal layer of a far more powerful civ like I was peeling an orange.
I just tried that, and yes, they're actually pretty good in ships. I played a Continents map, and I wiped my starting continent with Horsemen. Since I had no targets available until Navigation (which I pushed directly for), I figured the Berserkers had missed their window.

Not so. I sent over several Caravel loads of Berserkers, and they had very little trouble taking coastal cities defended by Pikemen or Musketeers. However, that's not the important thing, since a Knight force could have done as well.

No, the nice thing was that as long as they stayed with the ships, they effectively had move 4 through enemy territory, with no terrain penalties. This is faster than Cavalry inside enemy culture boundries.

You could do the same thing with a conventional force, but the extra turn to unload would eat the time advantage and the defensive advantage of staying on the water.

The defensive advantage, by the way, is primarily a weakness of the AI, not an inherent strength of the unit. Sure, Galleys and Caravels are terrible warships, but for a defender the poor odds are worth it because of the expensive, helpless Berserkers onboard. Against a human you'd want to include 1-2 extra, empty transports just to soak up suicide attacks.

I'm going to revise my rating of them up to B. They're not A units because they still suffer significant attrition against anything stronger than Spearmen, and they're not much use on some maps like Pangeas, but on the right maps the tactical speed is a strong advantage.

- Gus
Old November 24, 2002, 15:17   #17
Konquest02
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Vox ControliApolyton University
Prince

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Unique Unit Grades (including PTW UU's)
Quote:

Not so. I sent over several Caravel loads of Berserkers, and they had very little trouble taking coastal cities defended by Pikemen or Musketeers. However, that's not the important thing, since a Knight force could have done as well.
I think the biggest advantage of Berserkers is thir ability to suppress any counterattack, an ability the knight doesn't have.

--Kon--
Old November 24, 2002, 21:36   #18
Zurai
Chieftain

My opinions (note that the PTW UUs are theoretical for me, as I'm waiting for a price drop before I buy):

Ansar Warrior: Fast, slightly cheaper than knights. B+/A-

Jaguar Warrior: Way too early. Fast and cheap, but with an absolutely murderous upkeep cost and attrition rate. C+/B-

Rider: Fast, not as cheap as the Ansar Warrior. B+

Impi: Nothing truly outstanding. They make decent companions to horsemen, but I much prefer offensive UUs. B

War Chariot: I have to actively put off researching horseback riding in order to use these. The window for them is incredibly narrow, and not being able to traverse mountains and jungle is a major weakness at the very beginning of the game. F

Panzer: Comes too late to make much of an impact. 3 movement is great, but by the time you have tanks, the game's pretty much been decided. C

Samurai: Fast, great defense, lower resource requirements. A-

Keshik: Lower defense and an over-specialized ability. I intend to extend their movement bonus to hills as well. B- unit out of the box, B+ with modifications

Sipahi: Huge attack at the cost of some extra shields. Does a good job at extending the window for cavalry attacks. A-

Cossack: The extra defense point is rarely useful. C

Berserk: Massive attack and immunity to land-based counterattacks. Most AIs have tiny navies, although human opponents will most likely be prepared. A against AIs, B- against human.

Bowman: Nice well-rounded unit that's useful for pretty much the whole Ancient era. Nothing outstanding about them, though. B

Gallic Swordsman: An extra movement point for a considerable extra cost. Not worth it in my book. C

Hoplite: Huge deterrant value. I don't like defensive UUs, but I know I always avoid attacking the Greek AI players until I have knights/cavalry simply because of the hoplites. Buys a peaceful Ancient/early Medieval era. B

Numidian Mercenary: See hoplite. These are also decently useful on attack, but slightly more expensive. B

Immortal: Huge attack, able to overcome even hoplites. The best ancient era attack unit, but is still obsolete with knights. A-

Legion: Excellent unit all around. Good enough attack to defeat spearmen and high enough defense to be a deterrant to enemy horsemen and swordsmen. A-

Conquistador: Glorified explorer. I see no real reason to build this unit. D

Man of War: Window of opportunity is too short to be useful, very hard to get a GA with. D

Musketeer: A defensive unit with extra attack (but less than any other Medieval-era attack unit, for more shields). D

War Elephant: Only useful on a large map with very few AIs, leading to resource shortages. I've given elephants an extra HP to help them be useful even when you do get iron and horses. D out of the box, C with the extra HP

F-15: Way, way too late to be useful. F

Hwacha. Great bombardment value, but you can't get a GA off one unless you make changes to the rules and it's got a moderately narrow window of opportunity. D out of the box, C+/B- with lethal bombardment
Old November 24, 2002, 22:55   #19
GusSmed
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Zurai
My opinions (note that the PTW UUs are theoretical for me, as I'm waiting for a price drop before I buy)
Frankly, I don't think you'll get a complete picture of how some of these units play until you have PTW. You're right about Conquistadors, for example, but I didn't know that for certain until I played as Spain and verified that the ability to raid really deep into enemy territory (6 squares!) wasn't worth the extra cost and lower Attack / Defense.

I think you way undervalue the value of 2 movement. For example, the strength of the Gallic Warrior is that, like Horsemen, it rarely has to defend, and it retreats from many losing battles. Its 3 attack is worth 1 1/2 Horsemen, it costs as much as 1 2/3rds Horsemen, but has an upkeep of only 1 Horseman.

I'd rather have Mounted Warriors, but the extra cost is worth it. Unfortunately, it's just barely worth it, making them an alternative to Horsmen rather than an improvement.

Conversely, the other Swordsman upgrades, Legions and Immortals, suffer fairly high casualties in actual combat, even against Spearmen. The Legion doesn't have a "good enough attack to defeat spearmen" - something like 40% of the time you lose the Legion when attacking Spearmen, at least in part because of Fortified (+25%) and terrain bonuses (+%50 for cities on hills).

Horsemen have lower casualty rates, even against Hoplites. You may need more to take a town, but they'll last longer.

Numidian Mercs are not "decently useful" on the attack. That 2 attack is so low that you dare not risk them unless nothing else can attack a 1 or 2 HP Archer - which should never be needed, if you had the sense to bring along enough Archers (early Ancients) or Horsemen to do the job.

I also prefer attack units to Impi, but Impi do have a very serious deterrent effect, much like that of Hoplites. In fact, while I'll always attack someone else in preference to Greece, the only civ I will seriously think about delaying until Chivalry to attack is Zululand. Those Impi can inflict harrowing casualties on Horsemen, which means that I must mount a slow, expensive, attrition riddled campaign with Swordsmen.

Fortunately when I do go to war with them, the AI sometimes does stupid stuff with his Impi like attack fortified Spearmen. They don't tend to die from that, but it's a poor use of the unit, and makes them weak enough to pick off next turn.

- Gus
Old November 25, 2002, 03:29   #20
Zurai
Chieftain

Quote:

- Gus
I think it comes down to different playstyles. I'm definately not a diety-level player (I could probably beat Monarch if I put a lot of effort into it and got a great starting location, but I normally play Regent and still lose a noticeable percentage of the time), and I'm not a momentum player. I don't attack attack attack from the start, but I do build up large armies and have good infrastructure. I find that having hordes of horsemen really isn't worth the upkeep to me, but I can take the same cities with less money by using swordsmen, and it's not like swordsmen take longer for me to build than horsemen. Gallic Swordsmen, on the other hand, take nearly twice as long for an extra attack point, for all intents and purposes, compared to horsemen, or an extra defense compared to mounted warriors. I don't think that's worth it (and I do have a 3-2-2 unit in my personal mod; I know how useful they are). Numidian Mercs certainly aren't going to be your main offensive unit but they can go that last mile to kill the 1 or 2 HP defender when you need them to, as well as being tied for best defender until gunpowder.

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on the non-PTW differences between our lists, however. Particularly things like the War Chariot; I've NEVER found a way to use war chariots before they become obsolete at horsemen. By the time I have horses connected to my cities, I already have quite a few techs from huts/trading.

I also don't place as much value on having a 2-move unit to attack in the ancient era (although the movement points are useful because I always play HUGE pangea maps, so that IS a point in their favor just for ease of use) because, even with increased chance to retreat, I still lose nearly 50% of my attacking forces, and more to counterattacks. I'd rather simply build less but more effective units and rebuild my losses while building infrastructure.

Again, I think it comes down to play style. Someone who was a pure builder and didn't ever go to war before Military Tradition, for example, would likely rate the Hoplites and Mercs as A+ units simply because you're more or less invincible until Cavalry if you plan ahead with them, while a pure momentum player would hate those same units with a passion because they don't fit in his style of play at all. He'd more likely use things like Jaguar Warriors and Mounted Warriors.
Old November 25, 2002, 03:35   #21
Mazarin
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Prince

The value of the unique units depends on whether you're playing sp or mp, I think. In MP self-defenders like legions or samurais are much more useful, because the human will defend himself with attacking units. So Immortals/MWs are not as powerful as they are in SP. Playing against the AI is completely different -i would not care much about counter-attacks as the AI seems too stupid to do this properly and this is why your argument about the immortal is not really valuable against AI. An other benefit of the immortals is that they come really early -before horsemen in most cases. After 40 rounds you will usually be able to upgrade several warriors and to start your first attack after 50 rounds. This way you cripple several AIs before Pikemen occure -on small pangea maps I often get domination before anyone is able to produce knights.
Old November 25, 2002, 15:06   #22
GusSmed
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Zurai
I'm definately not a diety-level player (I could probably beat Monarch if I put a lot of effort into it and got a great starting location, but I normally play Regent and still lose a noticeable percentage of the time), and I'm not a momentum player.
That probably has a lot to do with our differences in opinion. I play Emperor all the time, because I find Monarch too easy. I could beat Diety regularly when pop-rushing was a viable strategy, but I found it tearfully frustrating.

Playing Emperor or above, you don't really have much choice but to push war, war, war in the early stages, just to extort enough tech to keep up. That really wasn't my playing style when I started, but the way the AIs freely trade tech with each other but not with you means that if you aren't firmly ahead in technology, you're left out of the trading, and force is the only way to catch up.

Quote:
I don't attack attack attack from the start, but I do build up large armies and have good infrastructure. I find that having hordes of horsemen really isn't worth the upkeep to me, but I can take the same cities with less money by using swordsmen, and it's not like swordsmen take longer for me to build than horsemen.
You don't really need hordes of Horsemen. 5-6 is enough to start a war, usually around 1200 BC or so. With that, you can take a city defended by 2 Spearmen, which is what the AI puts in all of its cities but its capitol early in the game. After that, you heal up after each attack, and make sure you're building replacements for what should be relatively light losses.

Quote:
Gallic Swordsmen, on the other hand, take nearly twice as long for an extra attack point, for all intents and purposes, compared to horsemen, or an extra defense compared to mounted warriors.
No, they don't. They take 60% longer, not 100% longer, and are 50% stronger than Horsemen. You can start a war with just 4 of them.

Quote:
Numidian Mercs certainly aren't going to be your main offensive unit but they can go that last mile to kill the 1 or 2 HP defender when you need them to, as well as being tied for best defender until gunpowder.
Yeah, but do you really want to pay that extra 10 shields per Merc just for that last attack, which 90% of the time a normal attack unit (like Horsemen or Swordsmen) will take down? I'm comparing them to Hoplites, not Spearmen. They're definitely better than Spearmen, but that extra point of attack is so rarely used that the 50% increase in cost feels like a rip-off compared to the Hoplite.

Quote:
Particularly things like the War Chariot; I've NEVER found a way to use war chariots before they become obsolete at horsemen. By the time I have horses connected to my cities, I already have quite a few techs from huts/trading.
War chariots don't become obsolete until you get your Golden Age. In the meantime, they build 50% faster than Horsemen, and you can assemble your initial attack force quite cheaply.

Whether you have Horseback Riding before you're ready to attack with War Chariots depends on the map and how the trading goes. Most games, if I'm playing something other than Egyptians, I end up building 7-8 Chariots and upgrading them to Horsemen with gold. Sometimes I do get Horseback Riding before building my first Chariot, but usually I have a fair sized force of Chariots waiting.

I don't actually attack with regular Chariots; I'm just saving myself some shields, and setting myself for an earlier Horseman attack.

Quote:
I also don't place as much value on having a 2-move unit to attack in the ancient era because, even with increased chance to retreat, I still lose nearly 50% of my attacking forces, and more to counterattacks.
My attrition rate with a Horseman attack is more like 1 Horseman per city, and almost none to counterattacks. If I can't avoid putting them in a vulnerable position, I'll stack a Spearman or two with them.

50% losses is way too high, and typical of what I'd expect with a slow-mover attack. Are you attacking with Regulars? My attack force is always 100% Veterans.

- Gus
Old November 25, 2002, 18:18   #23
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

If anyone is having trouble at regent, they should take a very good look at crackers start thread on CFC and that will end their problems. Everyone that has posted a save where they had those problems was failing to get the best out of the tiles and cities. War or build was not the issue at that level. Automate workers and governors are the culprits.
Old November 25, 2002, 18:20   #24
Brizey
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

Knights are a stonger unit than pikeman. Here are the approximate stats of a knight attacking a fortified pikeman in a city on grasslands:

Attacker win: ~23%

Defender win: ~31%

Attacker retreat: ~46%

(Both veteran).

So just a few knights should be able to hammer pikeman. Put together a force of about 20 knights, divide into two stacks, then go pound a few cities before the get a bunch of musketmen.

Even with musketmen, the chance of losing only goes up a few percent. Mostly you just get more attacker retreats.
Old November 25, 2002, 22:22   #25
jubilation
Settler

Local Time: 03:25
Quote:
Just for fun, I thought I'd run down my assessment of the Unique Units, particularly the new ones from Play The World.
[... grade C ...]

- Gus
With respect, I think you're missing out on the beauty and glory of legions. They are more useful than their stats suggest. Try this, and see if it changes your mind!

Declare war on your soon-to-be-province. Send a couple legions in immediately, but avoid cities. Take advantage of your defensive strength (the testudo tactic used by real legions back when!) to avoid retribution as you gleefully ravage the countryside, cutting transit and resource roads, putting peasants to the sword, and using your offensive punch to take a poke at field units who get in the way. At defense 3 you don't need to be fast.

Against a significant opponent, these two legions will probably be eventually destroyed, but in the meantime you'll have a) focused the enemy on chasing down your raiders instead of invading you, and b) hopefully done some serious damage to his infrastructure.

All this gives you time to marshal the rest of your invading force. Note that you don't have to waste production on spearmen to hold taken cities; legions are built-in defenders.

(One problem... it can be extremely painful to invade Greece with legions, especially if they happen to have a hilly empire.)

Anyhow, I've gotten good results with careful use of legions. Please give them a second look!

-- J
Old November 25, 2002, 22:39   #26
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Agreed... my reigning choice as a UU.

SPQR!!
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old November 26, 2002, 02:01   #27
GusSmed
Chieftain

Re: Re: Unique Unit Grades (including PTW UU's)
Quote:
Originally posted by jubilation
Declare war on your soon-to-be-province. Send a couple legions in immediately, but avoid cities. Take advantage of your defensive strength (the testudo tactic used by real legions back when!) to avoid retribution as you gleefully ravage the countryside, cutting transit and resource roads, putting peasants to the sword, and using your offensive punch to take a poke at field units who get in the way. At defense 3 you don't need to be fast.
I don't really see the point of this sort of thing. Sure, I could do that, but during the Ancients era I typically take a city every 2 turns. By the time the Legions had reached something interesting at a plodding 1 square per turn, I could have pushed the border back 2 cities.

Meanwhile, those legions are messing with a road infrastructure that I could have captured instead of destroyed.

I don't see serious opposition where such distraction tactics might be meaningful until Knights typically, and Cavalry more often.

- Gus
Old November 26, 2002, 12:53   #28
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

I'm with Gus on this one. Fast movers are the way to go. Legionaries are strong units, but there are several I'd rather have.

Everyone plays the game a bit differently, on different difficulty levels and different map settings, and that effects our "grades" for the various UUs.

My top 5 (which include 4 factors: 1) Relative power, 2) Length of usefulness, 3) timing - for GA purposes, 4) upgrade path):

1) Chinese Rider. The extra movement point allows you to gut AI empires with amazing speed.
2) Iroquois Mounted Warrior. The extra attack point allows you to make mincemeat of spearmen and even continue your attack vs. pikemen if need be.
3) Egyptian War Chariots. They're just so cheap! I especially like these guys on Emperor (highest level I play) because time is so short - you need to assemble your stikeforce very quickly. No gold needed for a chariot -> horseman upgrade, can be used for other things.
4) Japanese Samurai. Not incredible, but they sure are hardy. Tough as hell to kill, making them great cover for invasions, even once you have Cavalry (elite Sams + Cav is just beautiful).
5) Persian Immortal. Double the attack power of the standard ancient age defender. If unleashed vs. spearmen, they will do a good impression of a hot knife slicing through butter. Still useful for a while after that, but they are slow and have a mediocre upgrade path even with PTW.

I have just recently purchased PTW, so I will be able to comment properly on the new units soon. Initial thoughs:

- Wow, the Siphai look awesome, despite the extra cost
- Gallic Swordsmen are powerful, but very pricey
- The Ansar Warrior is a cheap Rider vulnerable to counterattack.
- The Spanish got jobbed.
- The Mongol unit is medoicre unless the map generator provides the perfect terrain to maximize their special ability.
- The Berserk is a fun toy for SP, but could be a true terror in MP.
- The Korean unit is... unique. I'll give it that.
- The Carthaginians got jobbed. 30 shields for a Hoplite with +1 offense?

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old November 26, 2002, 13:05   #29
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Quote:
Originally posted by Arrian
- The Spanish got jobbed.
Not quite. Their Conquistadors are awesome pillagers, with two moves and all terrain as roads. They're basically swordsmen with 6 moves. The best defender at their time is the musketman with just one defense point more than they have for attack. They're not great UUs, that's true, but to start a war and pillage all resources within 5 tiles from your borders in the first turn is certainly not bad.

The first PTW game I played, I have chosen a random civ and start in the industrial age. I turned out to be Spain, had horses nearby and was from the start able to build Conquistadors. While the other civs slowly researched Nationalism, I pumped out Conquistadors. The toughest defenders I met were Spearmen. I conquered the world (small map) in just a few turns.
Old November 26, 2002, 13:15   #30
Zero-Tau
Chieftain

Sir Ralph: While what you say may be true, much of it can be done by any expansionist civ, by using explorers. Explorers can also pillage, you know. And with Exp apparently being the most popular trait for MP...