Old January 16, 2001, 12:10   #1
niteowl
Chieftain

Local Time: 17:50
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Research / tech tree
I have noticed on some games that I play that for some reason, my researchers don't get cranked up for several turns putting me way behind in the technology race. Half of the time they don't even get started until I have discovered 1 or 2 techs from tipping huts.

Any ideas on why this would happen?

------------------
"My dear girl don't flatter yourself.
What I did this evening was for king and
country. You don't think it gave me any
pleasure do you?

--- James Bond
Old January 17, 2001, 01:11   #2
Albert B
Warlord

Local Time: 17:50
You apparently don't have any trade arrows being assinged to science beakers. If you initailly set you tax rates to 50 gold/50 science then you won't get a science beaker until you have 2 or more trade arrows because the odd numbered ones always go to gold. Another possibility is if you are building your city on a non-trade producing square and you have the other worker also on a non-trade square, you will not have any science beekers, thus no research work.

Basically the solution is to make sure you have at least one science beaker from day 1 of city 1 and your researchers will kick off immediately.

Albert B
Old January 17, 2001, 01:38   #3
East Street Trader
Prince

Local Time: 22:50
I suspect Albert B has hit the nail on the head.

In my view it is well worthwhile to delay founding a capital until you can do so on, or in the locality of, a trade special such as whale or silk.

Of course a river is good.

And a rivered special is best of all.

Nearly all the trade specials get an extra arrow with a road (IIRC seal doesn't). So try to get a road down on the special square asap. The first advances cost just 10, then 20, then 40 beakers. So micromanage like mad right at the start. Squeezing out just a handful of extra beakers will make a difference.

Early Monarchy makes a big difference so a period with no trade arrows at the outset really holds you back.

Sometimes when I check the 5 leading cities screen after I found I see the AI civs are already at size 3. But that doesn't stop me overhauling them pretty quickly. Unless you have a pesky neighbour or the barbs appear before you get a diplo built, the rate at which you outperform the AI is at its greatest in the early phase. Once they have a few cities established their production advantage starts to even things up.
Old January 17, 2001, 04:56   #4
Chris 62
Spanish CiversCivilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 18:50
I find that the first city to settle is most important in how the game will go. Look for the seeds that provide both trade and shields. Make sure there are both plains and grassland. For early reseach moutains with gold will realy make a difference. But always look to the future of the city. Try not to overlap the cities, and remember the defense bonus of rough terrain. If you settle on the sea coast make sure there is grassland nearby or your city won't grow till you get harbors. If you don't mind a simple cheat, look at the entire map at start. save first, then enable the cheat mode. look for a good city site nearby. then restart from the save. You will know where to go for your city and no points will be deducted from your score. Don't feel bad about this little cheat, as the AI cheats like mad at the higher levels. Good luck!
Old January 18, 2001, 09:45   #5
weird god
Warlord

Local Time: 23:50
exactly albert, if you donīt have any trade dedicated to science in your cities, they canīt start - simple as that. but donīt worry you can catch up later on
Old January 19, 2001, 21:20   #6
zyxpsilon
Warlord

Local Time: 22:50
Focus on squares giving out trading/arrows.
Early pop's increase would suffer tough by a lack of developping wheat ones.
And, shields!
It can also be "tax-rates" percentages.
"The only way to win this game is to be AHEAD in research."