Old November 22, 2002, 22:49   #1
E_T
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG SarantiumCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 07:27
Local Date: November 1, 2010
We can now draft, do we want to?
This is the Peace Time Policy of the Domestic Ministry conserning the Draft:

1) we draft from cities that are size 12
2) of the cities in #1, we draft from cities that will grow back to size 12 within the next turn.
3) we don't draft from the same city within 20 turns of the last draft.
4) we DO NOT draft within 10 turns of the expected time of going to war.

As of the 1070AB save, we currently have 4 cities that meet the above criteria: Macross City; Tessagrad; Timeline & Gaia. Apolyton will be in criteria in 3 turns, with Here It Is in 5 turns.

Do we want to have a stronger defence, incase we are attacked by one of the other Civs when we go after Otto. Personally, I say that we should invest in this possibility and have the draft.

What is the wishes of the Senate?

E_T
Old November 23, 2002, 01:39   #2
Kloreep
C3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Local Time: 06:27
[rp]
For thousands of years, our nation has had a completely volunteer army. (Er, ignore those poprushed spears over there. They aren't fit for anything but the museum anyway.) To force our citizens into new wars goes against the glorious past of our armed forces, and to push unwilling recruits into the ranks would taint the honor of our military. Say no! Keep our forces skilled and proud!

Also, such unnecessary drafting would anger the populace and would surely get us all thrown out of office next election. That's the way this new Democracy thing works, my fellow senators.
[/rp]
Old November 23, 2002, 03:56   #3
nz_upy
Warlord

Local Time: 11:27
Yay for conscription(drafting whatever). But arent we planning on war withing 10 turns?
Old November 23, 2002, 06:12   #4
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 13:27
I agree with 2)
Drafted units are basically useless, except as a last chance when our cities are attacked. On the offense they're very likely to be crushed by better trained units, and risk to give them a new experience rank.
Such a luxury should only be afforded in cities which wouldn't suffer from the lack of workforce, because it would be replaced immediately .
Old November 23, 2002, 06:29   #5
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

IMHO E_T's plan is excellent.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old November 23, 2002, 12:39   #6
E_T
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG SarantiumCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by nz_upy
Yay for conscription(drafting whatever). But arent we planning on war withing 10 turns?
About 20 turns from now will be the earliest, so we can draft from a few cities now.

Even though we might not need them, I would rather have a few extra defences in than go through the possibility of losing a city to a multi Civ attack.

This would also have the added benifit of allowing other things besides Def. Mil units, i.e. Cav, Cannon & EXPLORERS. One of the reasons for the delay in our War against Otto, it to make sure that we can respond to him bringing in more Civs and then take the fight back to them. We don't know what will happen during the war and a conscript or 3 might help.

In the next 10 turns that I'll Allow Peace Time Drafting, there won't be that many cities that will be effected.

AND if done correctly, you can take a conscript all of the way up to elite. Although, you just might lose a couple of them on the way.

E_T
E_T
Old November 23, 2002, 13:03   #7
Epistax
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

Old November 23, 2002, 14:47   #8
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

hi ,

, we should only draft when its needed , .....

have a nice day
Old November 23, 2002, 17:45   #9
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

Spiffor,
Draft allows you to move out your veteran unit in the city out to the front. our conscript can commit to better than nothing defense. It also serves to maintain Militray policing if you can have one.
Old November 24, 2002, 07:58   #10
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Calc II
Spiffor,
Draft allows you to move out your veteran unit in the city out to the front. our conscript can commit to better than nothing defense. It also serves to maintain Militray policing if you can have one.
hi ,

if we really have to draft then we should see to it that those units get elite status asap , .....;

but we dont need to draft , we should only draft in case of a federal emergency , .....

have a nice day
Old November 25, 2002, 11:31   #11
canyontree
Civilization III Democracy Game
Settler

Local Time: 05:27
Drafting is not a winning strategy. The only practical uses are:

Desparation last ditch defense.
(Usually too late to help but tends to stave off the inevitable. The final condition is the AI gtets a smaller useless city in desparate need of entertainers.)

Instant Police.
(Only useful in Commie, Monarchy, Despotism Govts)

Both are indications that you are loosing. Both are indications that the player has renounced the way of the warrior.
Old November 25, 2002, 12:52   #12
E_T
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by canyontree
Drafting is not a winning strategy. The only practical uses are:

Desparation last ditch defense.
(Usually too late to help but tends to stave off the inevitable. The final condition is the AI gtets a smaller useless city in desparate need of entertainers.)

Instant Police.
(Only useful in Commie, Monarchy, Despotism Govts)

Both are indications that you are loosing. Both are indications that the player has renounced the way of the warrior.
I beg to differ with you. I ran a sucsessful Offensive War against 2 civs on 2 continents while maintaining a reserve in case the Aztecs had gotten frisky. THis was while in Democracy and the two wars lasted for over 30 turns. I never once had to use the Lux slider, but it did come close.

THe draft was an important part of my stategy. I used them to defend my core cities. I used them to defend worker stacks that were laying down RR in the war zones. I used them to defend cities that were past resisting and no longer in danger of flipping back. This freed up my Vet Units for more Important things.

THis gave me the build flexability to work on (and complete ALL of the Industrial Wonders). To increase my research base to where the AI was buying techs from me. To also increase my monitary base so that I could rush buy a lot (towards the end). It allowed me to keep producing Offensive & Defensive Mil Units while working on all of these things at once.

The war would have been much longer And/Or would have cost me my top position IF I had NOT used the draft. We can always disband them at some later date, for free shields (we didn't us any to produce them).

E_T
Old November 25, 2002, 13:38   #13
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

1. Does anybody have an army either larger or the same size as ours?

2. Does the Supereme Military Commender want some conscripts?
Old November 25, 2002, 23:20   #14
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

Everyone missed the point of my post. Drafting is good for moving those veteran infantry/riflemen out from inner empire where they are commiting Mandatory 1-2 man defense and MP duty. Conscripting can free these veterans to go off in the front while conscript can replace the veteran role of MP and inner empire homeland security.

I use conscripting for this reason. I don't really use conscripts much in the war front, though if things look that grim, I guess you have no choice.
Old November 26, 2002, 11:11   #15
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

We are a Democracy, so we have no need for military police.

We could easily remove all military units from interior cities. This would actually help the war effort during Germany as the AI starts a wild goose chase trying to capture the undefended cities.
Old November 26, 2002, 12:05   #16
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

We've already moved out most of the units in the core, and we'll be able to leave most of the inner cities completely undefended after we've completed a vast network of railroads (troops can be immediately transported from one side of our empire to another to deal with point conflicts). However, we've still got to guard our borders and the conscripts, backed up by quick response teams of a few fast units (which we already have since the medieval age), could do just that. They can replace the musketmen (soon to be upgraded to riflemen) currently guarding our borders, so that these can garrison the cities that we conquer from Germany instead of cavalries.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old November 26, 2002, 16:12   #17
realpolitic
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 03:27
Normally, I'd agree that conscription is a losing strategy, but we need to deter others from allying with Germany. Our only other tools are:MPPs,alliances,and embargoes(which is a weak straegy-with many less side effects than the 1st 2). In this case, I'd be for conscription if only:
Quote:
Originally posed by E_T
2) of the cities in #1, we draft from cities that will grow back to size 12 within the next turn.
Old November 26, 2002, 16:14   #18
realpolitic
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Prince

Normally, I'd agree that conscription is a losing strategy, but we need to deter others from allying with Germany. Our only other tools are:MPPs,alliances,and embargoes(which is a weak straegy-with many less side effects than the 1st 2). In this case, I'd be for conscription if only:
[quote]Origanally posed by E_T
2) of the cities in #1, we draft from cities that will grow back to size 12 within the next turn.[quote]
Old November 28, 2002, 03:22   #19
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 22:27
As long as the 4 criteria specified by E_T are met, there is no reason not to draft. A stronger military is always good, freeing up vet defenders for other duties is also useful. And once we no-longer need these units, they can be converted into shields at a city of our choice.
Old November 28, 2002, 11:31   #20
E_T
Emperor

President Aggie showed up at the Chat last night and made the decision to draft from several cities. We drafted from Macross City, Gaia & Tessagrad. We could have drafted from Timeline, but I made the decision not to because of it's current build of University was at a delicate place in it's build and the loss of one pop for the single turn would have set it back one more turn.

I was going to wait and do it after we had some RR's in place, but some knat size civ desided to get uppity and attack us (and losing our Gems, too). We are in War now, so the Peace time restrictions for Drafting do not apply for now.

I still have to evaluate the cities for a possible draft plan during this war (and the full inpact on happiness from loss of Lux to the fact we were attacked), but I would say that we wait for now.

E_T
Old November 28, 2002, 12:43   #21
MJW
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 MonkeyCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Prince

http://sirian.warpcore.org/civ3/exploits.html
Go there and look at expoilt number 1. 200 units wow!
Old December 15, 2002, 12:14   #22
jdd2007
NationStates
King

we should definitely draft. we have young men doing nothing but working in libraries for bananas sake! these men could be on the front lines against germany.

draft = more soldiers = more glory = stronger nation = domination
Old December 15, 2002, 13:10   #23
Panag
Emperor

hi ,

we should only draft if there is a serious emergency , otherwise its not needed to make the mothers unhappy , .......

for twenty turns , .......

have a nice day
Old December 15, 2002, 19:25   #24
Meshelic
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III Democracy GameNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

RP
No down with the draft!

The only way I'll agree to a Draft is if it is in only a small, small number of cities.

Only a small reserve army that fills up the empty defensive positions in our unprotected cities. Nothing more. Conscripts are worthless.
/RP

(I'm playing a character here, I don't really think of conscripts as worthless...they are only a step above worthless. IU've used them quite a bit on occasion, but for different reasons, oppose them here.)
Old December 15, 2002, 19:53   #25
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Meshelic
RP
No down with the draft!

The only way I'll agree to a Draft is if it is in only a small, small number of cities.

Only a small reserve army that fills up the empty defensive positions in our unprotected cities. Nothing more. Conscripts are worthless.
/RP

(I'm playing a character here, I don't really think of conscripts as worthless...they are only a step above worthless. IU've used them quite a bit on occasion, but for different reasons, oppose them here.)
hi ,

agreed , and if we where to plan our industry a bit we would never have to draft anyone at all !
we should only draft in case of national emergency and even then , ............

have a nice day
Old December 15, 2002, 19:57   #26
Meshelic
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III Democracy GameNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

What's better than 2HP Conscripts defending a city?

Hmm....Veterans defending a city! Professional soldiers are much better than any of our workers taking up a rifle...
Old December 15, 2002, 20:02   #27
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Meshelic
What's better than 2HP Conscripts defending a city?

Hmm....Veterans defending a city! Professional soldiers are much better than any of our workers taking up a rifle...
hi ,

indeed , now its time we start very soon to put one artillery and infantry in each border city and one infantry in all the other cities we have , .....

have a nice day
Old December 15, 2002, 20:47   #28
Meshelic
King

Better that the men work in libraries to further our education than for us to lose a whole generation of men in a world war!
Old December 15, 2002, 20:59   #29
jdd2007
NationStates
King

i agree that education is important, but having the largest, most powerful army in the world is much bigger a priority.
Old December 15, 2002, 21:52   #30
Kloreep
C3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by jdd2007
i agree that education is important, but having the largest, most powerful army in the world is much bigger a priority.
Spoken like a true Hawk.

Rome's betrayal does call for limited conscription, but just that; limited. Our libraries are more important than a few units; armies can only be used for conquest, and become outdated. As useful as conquest is, knowledge is forever.