Old November 23, 2002, 16:19   #1
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

Local Time: 06:29
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Diplomatic Victory
Is Diplomatic victory even a possibility in PTW MP? Why would you give up your vote to let someone win when you can try to win the game to the death? The goal of the game is to achieve victory isn't it? Unless you can't bear to see the currently leading player win I guess.....
Old November 23, 2002, 16:32   #2
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 13:29
Well, if a team is cunning enough to get diplomatic victory, we should let it do so It a teams gets diplpomatic victory, it will become legendary
Old November 23, 2002, 21:26   #3
Panzer32
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC4DG VoxInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshinePtWDG2 Monty PythonPtWDG2 MonkeyPtWDG2 Latin LoversPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Glory of War
Emperor

Local Time: 07:29
Votes could be a huge bargaining tool
Proud Member of the ISDG Apolyton Team; Member #2 in the Apolyton Yact Club.
King of Trafalgar and Lord of all Isolationia in the Civ III PTW Glory of War team.
---------
May God Bless.
Old November 23, 2002, 21:44   #4
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

You may be right Panzer.. but I would never sell something like that which has huge risk of losing...
Unless you engineer the vote to come out as a... tie..... hmmm excellent
Old November 24, 2002, 00:24   #5
nbarclay
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 05:29
If a team is already in a position where it has no real chance of winning itself, it has no major reason not to vote for another civ that's been freindly with it in the U.N. election. And if all that's needed is a majority of the votes not counting abstentions (something I'm not sure about), in a two way race, all it would take is one of the other civs choosing to vote for someone instead of abstaining to have a winner.

From there, things really get complicated because a team that's not in the running for the election might guess that another team not in the running will vote for someone and try to vote to counteract that vote (in the hope of deadlocking an election that otherwise would have a winner), or might just figure that if there's likely to be a winner, they may as well have their say in who wins. So the possability of one civ's not abstaining could influence others not to abstain.

So if I were in hot pursuit of some other kind of victory, I would be very nervous about letting anyone else build the U.N. if I could help it. And if I were a builder civ that was on good terms with most of the others, I'd do my best to get it.

Nathan
Old November 24, 2002, 07:41   #6
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 13:29
The winner needs the absolute majority of votes to win a diplomatic election. If there are too many abstentions, then there is no winner
Old November 24, 2002, 14:44   #7
Zero
King

You also have to play mind game that player X has secured majority of vote so "we must protect ourselves by deadlocking"... hehehee