Old December 18, 2002, 02:06   #211
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 21:32
Local Date: November 1, 2010
You'll make it. Even I might make it.
Old December 18, 2002, 02:09   #212
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 22:32
Even I might make it, in that case.
Old December 18, 2002, 02:23   #213
Hercules
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 SpartansACDG3 GaiansC4DG VoxC4WDG éirich tuireannC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsACDG PeaceACDG3 Data Angels
Deity

Local Time: 12:32
Drogue: congrats again in this thread. Can't read the message on the green . Is it something peace or is it a green CND logo.

I 'll hit the five hundred at some stage, maybe by year end.
Old December 18, 2002, 02:29   #214
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

I think it's Greenpeace.

And about his rate of posting; I'm impressed. An average rate of over 10 per day, and, as you said, often quite lengthy ones too. He certainly hit the mark a lot faster than I did.
Old December 18, 2002, 05:21   #215
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

Local Time: 11:32
I think the high rate is partly due to being new, as time goes on it will settle down a little. Also I had 2 weeks of school with the flu, and so was almost perminantly on here.

It is Green Peace BTW, not that I ever agreed with them (They are neither Green nor Peaceful IMHO), but they are the two things I believe in most strongly.

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old December 18, 2002, 05:26   #216
GeneralTacticus
Emperor

What do you think they are, then (Greenpeace)?
Old December 18, 2002, 05:44   #217
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Greenpeace sometimes skirts the border of "terrorist organization" . . .
Old December 18, 2002, 05:44   #218
GeneralTacticus
Emperor

Like when?
Old December 18, 2002, 05:48   #219
Mr. President
Emperor

They've hijacked oil tankers, harassed whaling vessels (even though they rarely have more than rowboats), and disrupted truck routes.
Old December 18, 2002, 05:48   #220
Pandemoniak
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

Location: of Xanadu, Scottish Section of the Apolyton Must Crush Capitalism Party
Like when they didnt let us french do our nuke atomic tests in Mururoa...

bad thing is that they made it though...
Old December 18, 2002, 06:03   #221
GeneralTacticus
Emperor

Who, the French or Greenpeace?
Old December 18, 2002, 06:31   #222
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness

Green Peace often campaign with violence (or passive violence, physical blockades etc), and, are anti-GM, anti-nucleur power etc., but do not provide alternatives. Nucleur power is less ecologically damaging than coal or oil or even gas, and GM has never (to my knowledge) been proved to be damaging to the environment, while having many sizable benefits (feeding much mroe of the population for instance). I think in terms of making the world Green, they harmed the cause, in loss of trust with militancy, and were never pacifists in any sense IMO. Mr President is right, they were 'on the borders of terrorism'.

Old December 18, 2002, 12:22   #223
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 14:32
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. President
You'll make it. Even I might make it.
Yeah, I know. It's more like a matter of time. But I had dreamed of making it before Christmas. Won't happen.
Old December 18, 2002, 18:20   #224
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Local Time: 08:32
not after your unfortunate disconnection a few weeks ago.

wait...you DREAM about poly?
Old December 18, 2002, 18:24   #225
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 14:32
Hey, it's a goal like any other.

But yes, unfortunate indeed. =/
Old December 18, 2002, 20:12   #226
Hercules
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 SpartansACDG3 GaiansC4DG VoxC4WDG éirich tuireannC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsACDG PeaceACDG3 Data Angels
Deity

Local Time: 12:32
Quote:
Greenpeace sometimes skirts the border of "terrorist organization" . . .
In my view they do not skirt the border at all. They may have adapted some of the techniquies. But seriously, terrorrising nations, populations, kidnapping people. No not really.

Aggressive protest organisation yes. but so can be the church , trade unions and the countrytside grouping (UK)
Old December 19, 2002, 03:51   #227
Lemmy
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Spartans
King

Local Time: 13:32
Quote:
Aggressive protest organisation yes. but so can be the church , trade unions and the countrytside grouping (UK)
who says the church isn't a terrorist organization?
Scaring people like that with all the hell talk. What is more scary then eternal suffering!
<Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!
Old December 19, 2002, 04:20   #228
Pandemoniak
King

Location: of Xanadu, Scottish Section of the Apolyton Must Crush Capitalism Party
All depends on waht we consider terrorism. If we take it as the word is meant to be, using terror as a political pressure, then many things become terrorism. And Greenpeace certainly not the last.
Old December 19, 2002, 04:58   #229
GeneralTacticus
Emperor

Quote:
who says the church isn't a terrorist organization?
Scaring people like that with all the hell talk. What is more scary then eternal suffering!

Quote:
All depends on waht we consider terrorism. If we take it as the word is meant to be, using terror as a political pressure, then many things become terrorism. And Greenpeace certainly not the last.
Like the US government, you mean? By their own definition, they've been committing terrorism on a massive scale for decades.
Old December 19, 2002, 05:40   #230
Pandemoniak
King

I'd even say they were born as a terrorist country, since they used terror as a political pressure against England for their independence. Terror failed though, and they had to use force.
As well, resistants in Europe during WWII were terrorists, etc...
Theres always the two faces : terrorist or fighter of freedom ?
Since Greenpeace uses terror and "coup d'éclat" to promote political ideals and create a pressure, I think they can be called terrorists. The bad thing is that they certainly cannot be taken for fighters of freedom.
Old December 19, 2002, 05:52   #231
GeneralTacticus
Emperor

Quote:
I'd even say they were born as a terrorist country, since they used terror as a political pressure against England for their independence. Terror failed though, and they had to use force.
And they followed this up with a continuing war of expansion and genocide against westward against the Native American Indians.

Quote:
As well, resistants in Europe during WWII were terrorists, etc...
They generally aren't thought of as such because the Nazis began the terror first.

Quote:
Theres always the two faces : terrorist or fighter of freedom ?

Since Greenpeace uses terror and "coup d'éclat" to promote political ideals and create a pressure, I think they can be called terrorists. The bad thing is that they certainly cannot be taken for fighters of freedom.
Quite.
Old December 19, 2002, 06:00   #232
Drogue
staff

Quote:
Like the US government, you mean? By their own definition, they've been committing terrorism on a massive scale for decades.
Or like the Firefighters strike in the UK. 'Give us more money, or we'll put peoples' lives at risk.', thats terrorism to me.

Old December 19, 2002, 06:04   #233
GeneralTacticus
Emperor

No, I'm talking about terrorism on amuch bigger scale; bombing entire cities in North Vietnam into rubble because the didn't like the government, blockading Nicaragua and aiding an internal terrorist army for the same reason, backing Nazi-esque death squads in El Salvador, deliberately bombing out most of Iraq's water filtration plants during the Gulf War, and the list goes on...
Old December 19, 2002, 06:08   #234
Drogue
staff

Very true. The US style government is exactly what we don't want on Chiron, and what I feel Voltaire is getting us closer and closer too

Old December 19, 2002, 06:30   #235
Pandemoniak
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Drogue

Or like the Firefighters strike in the UK. 'Give us more money, or we'll put peoples' lives at risk.', thats terrorism to me.
In such conditions, the army is supposed to take place in case of emergency -- like when Police, Firemen, Garbage evacuators stirkes. Why the british army didnt do its job ? Was it too busy to plan irak invasion or am I just a paranoid extreme-leftist ?
Old December 19, 2002, 06:32   #236
GeneralTacticus
Emperor

Maybe they're just not as effective as actual firefighters, so people's lives would still be being put at risk?
Old December 19, 2002, 06:35   #237
Pandemoniak
King

I believe the budget of army is far more expensive than the budget of firefighter. Its just they never really trained the army to fight fire, when they should have, since its the army duty to be ready for any emergency.
Old December 19, 2002, 06:42   #238
GeneralTacticus
Emperor

They're onyl meant to be stand-ins if the regular emergency services aren't there, so I think it's understandable that they weren't trained quite so extensively. If the army can do anything the others can do, why bother having the others at all?
Old December 19, 2002, 06:45   #239
Pandemoniak
King

They should be capable to do everything, but with less "professionalism". I'm quite positive there is a firefighter section in the army, though.
And even if its understandable that they arent as trained as firemen, its unfair to say firemen behaved as terrorists.
Old December 19, 2002, 07:11   #240
Drogue
staff

They did step in, with 50 year old 'Green-Goddesses' for fire engines (top speed 35mph) and about 1/3 as much troops as firefighters. Unions, and strikes, are IMO just like cartels. Cartels try to keep prices up unnaturally (as in higher than they would be with a true FM or Planned economy) and unions try to keep wages up unnaturally. However this is getting a little off topic. Barkeep, I need a black-stuff to clear my head.

So... Anbody seen Pande's latest film?