Old November 24, 2002, 23:13   #1
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 04:34
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Have you ever completed a GC?
So have any of you ever actually completed a grand campaign in EU2? The closest I ever got was 1750 when I had nearly completed a world conquest (China and Ethopia were the only countries which weren't as good as dead) and got bored with the game.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Oerdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25, 2002, 01:17   #2
Kyle
Prince

Local Time: 07:34
Yup, several.

~Lisa as Jeanne d'Arc
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25, 2002, 11:47   #3
Oerdin
Deity

So how did you do? Did you conquer the world or just survive?
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old November 25, 2002, 13:50   #4
Kyle
Prince

I don't play to conquer the world. I don't usually win in VP's, but I do well enough.

~Lisa as Jeanne d'Arc
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25, 2002, 14:12   #5
arii
Prince

Local Time: 11:34
I find this game boring after a while. I'm trying to finish my 1st GC and it's painfull.
arii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25, 2002, 14:31   #6
Sandman
King

Local Time: 12:34
I once completed a GC with Persia, but Persia starts in about 1505, so it may not count.

They get a cool new troop animation when they get revolutionary tech.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25, 2002, 14:33   #7
Oerdin
Deity

I really do like this game but, like Arii, I find myself getting bored after 1700 or so.
Old November 25, 2002, 16:29   #8
St Leo
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame

The trick to not getting bored is to not colonise.
Old November 25, 2002, 17:54   #9
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Playing as a small nation is always fun. Try and conquer the world with Bosnia.
Old November 25, 2002, 22:30   #10
Jer8m8
Warlord

Local Time: 06:34
1 GC, and 1 game playing 1492 SPain eith EEP installed (in other words the file got corrupted in the mid 1700's)
Jer8m8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2002, 13:35   #11
arii
Prince

My problem is that I become too big and then get 5 revolts/min for therest of the game. Not fun to go from 1 revolt to the other for hours on.
arii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2002, 17:23   #12
St Leo
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame

Grow slower. The revolt rate drops to zero after thirty years of you holding that province.
Old November 27, 2002, 04:40   #13
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Local Time: 05:34
Lets see, I remember completing a GC as Russia. I probably did it a few times as some other countries, but I couldn't say which ones.
ixnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2002, 05:31   #14
Dauphin
Deity

I've completed it once with England. Got kind of boring as I colonised all of N. America, Australia and Russia thru Siberia - and conquered all the South American, Asian and African colonies of my European competitors.

In 1815 or so I granted independence to about 40 countries, including the 'Royalists'.
Old November 28, 2002, 19:34   #15
Oerdin
Deity

I'm going to be starting a GC today with either Sweden or Austria. Does anyone have any suggestions as to which one is better?
Old December 4, 2002, 23:59   #16
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

...Never completed one yet- although my poland-lithuania one is close in EU I... but I seem to be outpaced in my technology- I'm at level 17 and austria and the world is at 24... and yet I can still 'barely' beat them in a fair war YEAR: 1695 or so...
Old December 6, 2002, 18:56   #17
Carolus_Rex
Chieftain

Finished loads of GC's..
Old December 6, 2002, 19:09   #18
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

I've played many, but have never completed one. (Unless you count being annexed )

Which is not to say I don't enjoy it... it's still one of the top games, in my opinion.

I did get really close as Brandenburg once, though... got to 1760, I think - but I built myself into a superpower and there was not much challange left anymore.

Do It Ourselves
General Ludd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7, 2002, 18:37   #19
Seneca
King

I was trying to play a peaceful colonising game as Portugal, but got bored around 1680 and decided to psycho instead and conquer everyone - the change of strategy might be enough to get me through to 1819.
Seneca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7, 2002, 22:15   #20
Seneca
King

On the other hand, maybe not - kicking off a badboy war when you've got borders with countries on every single continent, and a manpower of 31 probably isn't the brightest idea...

Oh well, start again...
Old December 8, 2002, 10:16   #21
Dauphin
Deity

It works with Austria.

I found a good technique with them is to ally up with Bohemia and Hungary, and declare war on countries like Poland, Lithuania, Turkey, Bavaria, Venice etc. When settling for peace ask for the territory occupied by your allies (i.e give the territory to allies). Even better is when you get your allies to annex foreign powers for you. You avoid the bad boy problem and get the territory (cheaply in terms of BB points) when historical events lead to auto-annexation.
Old December 8, 2002, 13:42   #22
Oerdin
Deity

I know Austria auto-annexes Hungury but does it do the same with Bohemia? Also does anyone have a list of events for each country including the year they occur and the conditions required to make them happen? It would be interesting to know them all.
Old December 8, 2002, 18:15   #23
Dauphin
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Oerdin
I know Austria auto-annexes Hungury but does it do the same with Bohemia?
It did when I played as Austria.
Old December 9, 2002, 07:36   #24
Seneca
King

I'm just rubbish at BB wars - I can never get the peace resolutions to all come at the same time.

It's those 36-month white peaces that mess things up.
Old December 9, 2002, 16:01   #25
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

just got it, starting my first game as genoa in the Napoleon scenario...doing pretty well (for a tiny vassal of France), 9th in VPs after completing the mission of keeping my capital for 5 years.

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
civman2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18, 2002, 13:48   #26
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

I started my third attempt with EU2 a couple of days ago. The first two attempts failed either in frust or boredom. This time it seems to be better and I got a fairly good game.

I'm playing a GC as England. Conquered half of France in the beginning, avoiding direct fights and laying siege to left alone French provinces. More I couldn't do yet with my economy. Vassalized France for peace. Conquered and annexed Scotland, Ireland and Bourgoigne. France declared war and succeeded to end its vassalization for the cost of a couple more provinces.

I decided to play England the English way, i.e. "make the World to England". Big continental conquests are not my cup of tea, anyway. I put a big weight to naval technologies and spun a wide network of harbors around the World, protected with troops. Got a good share of colonies in the New World (at both the east and west coast), succeeded to steal a couple Caribean provinces and even one province in South America from the Spanish and Portugese. That was important to be able to discover the American west coast. In Africa I have a couple of colonies along the west coast and a big base in South Africa ("Table"). North Madagascar is mine, St Helena, Ceylon, Mauritius, I have large colonies in Oceania, a base in Australia and an harbor in Hawaii.

It's 1605 now, and the land grabbing is going to end soon. It's fun so far, and I don't know yet what's to come. Let's see if I can make it till the 19th century.
Harovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18, 2002, 14:08   #27
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

My first GC: It's currently 1462, I'm Helvetia. Made an alliance with strassbourg and mainz but ended up getting into a big war in which my allies were annexed and i lost schwyz to austria. Then i made an alliance with mantua, milan, venice, and navarra. Austria attacked me again, this time i crushed them. i took back schwyz and took baden, while venice took tirol. Venice has now vassalized milan and mantua. I wanted to vassalize navarra but they refused. The alliance expired and then i made it again, this time with me as the leader. I wanted to invite castile to the alliance but didn't want them to vassalize navarra. Now they've joined another alliance. The big alliance of all the other italian states (led by genoa) just expired, though genoa already joined another alliance. However, i've picked up the papal states and hope to add modena, siena, and tuscany to the alliance. I'm currently 4th in VPs.

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
civman2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19, 2002, 18:13   #28
Comrade Chris
Alpha Centauri Democracy Game
Chieftain

Local Time: 13:34
I've completed it several times with Sweden, ever tried it with Finland (comes in with some patch).. they don't even give you a chance..
Hey i've got some problem with the reputation, you erradicate some countries and everybody hates you for the whole game..
Comrade Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19, 2002, 20:27   #29
Seneca
King

I started a game as Lithuania, but got bored. The trouble is, once I have a really long game with anything, whether it's EU, Civ or Championship Manager, I just can't go on and start another, and my Portugal epic was all the EU I need for a while...
Old December 21, 2002, 10:45   #30
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

I'm near to complete my GC. It's 1745, and I have not even a century left to play. I run the finest empire of the world. Any Brit would be proud of me . The years, ships and troops I invested in colonization pay off greatly. Although I must say, during colonization and in occasional periods of low stability (peasants revolt, meteor sighted, sigh!) the game is a micromanaging hell, even worse than Civ3. In these times I ran 2 minutes per month, now I run 1 minute per 4 months.

Money ain't an issue anymore. According to the score points, my economy is as big as all other listed economies together. I have twice as much discovered territory as Spain, and my colonies are as big as the Spain and Portugese together. I have the worst diplomacy, I decline all offered alliances and accept only trade agreements. And I have the worst military score, because I keep away from those silly continental wars. I have 3 continental armies, who crush revolts and could conquer France and most of the other empires any time, but I don't need to. Overseas I had one war with the larger amerind tribes (Cherokee) and took 2 provinces to connect my eastern colonies with the southern ones. I'm not sure if I should conquer more land, because I don't need it. But if I get a casus belli again against the Cherokee or Creek, I will crush both tribes, because they together have only 3 provinces left. I probably won't mess with the Iroquois, they are my good trade partners and potential allies against the French colonial troops.

I know, that in a bit more than 30 years I may get in trouble overseas, but I don't fear that. I have twice as much points as the second power (Spain) and even if I lose all my american possessions, in the 40 years left nothing serious can happen to me.
Harovan is offline   Reply With Quote