Old December 21, 2002, 11:04   #31
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 12:34
Local Date: November 1, 2010
The American troubles aren't as bad as you'd expect. Certainly not as hard as the Dutch independence problems.
Old December 21, 2002, 19:55   #32
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Ok, I'm through.

The American independence war was pathetic indeed. 2-3 revolts of 3000 infanterists every month, and 1-2 larger (10000-12000) every year. 1886 it ended with a British victory. All in all, it was more micromanagement than actual danger. 1801 all techs were researched out and all money went to my cash reserve. Due to two events lowering my inflation I ended with nearly 0% inflation though. 1810 there was nothing more to improve. I could build a couple of manufacturies, but what for, all techs were already researched. I let the game flow with 1 year per minute and only occasionaly sent a bunch of colonists to provinces with less than 5000 citizens.

Although I didn't conquer the world (and didn't want to), I won the game easily by VPs. Next game I'll take a smaller continental empire. Perhaps Austria, or one of the small German states.

Ah, yes, I had 2 crashes to desktop. One 1780, during the independence war, and one 1818.
Harovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22, 2002, 06:50   #33
Dauphin
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Ralph
I could build a couple of manufacturies, but what for, all techs were already researched.
They increase growth rate, but at such a late stage in the game its not worth worrying about.
Old January 3, 2003, 16:43   #34
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 04:34
Today I'm going to start a new GC as Sweden. My goal isn't going to be world conquest but I am going to try for sole ownership of all Scandinavian & Baltic proviences. My objectives in order will be:

1) End my vassalization to Denmark but still stay in alliance with her.
2) Capture the northern 2/3 of Novogrod and colonize them with Scandanivian people.
3) slowly build my kingdom up until I get Adolfus and then go on a conqest spree for most of northern German, Poland, and Russa.

After that who knows? It would be nice to build a few colonies and I wouldn't mind capturing a few CoT. What do you folks think? Does this sound like a doable plan?
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Oerdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2003, 16:08   #35
Nikolai
Apolyton UniversityC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 13:34
I think I for once am lucky not to be too good at games. I always complete my GCs, and seldom am bored. I do not try to conquer the world, I don't like to do it(and I don't think I can make it...), but to read about them(espesially by the master of AARs, Professor Ebbesen!), is often fun.

I do not play to get the most VPs, but I usually have it anyway. I play to have fun, and in that I succeed!
Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. -Isaiah 41:10
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. - Zephaniah 3:17
Get The List for cIV here!
Nikolai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2003, 08:44   #36
Oerdin
Deity

I have fun when I play but I also like to learn from my mistakes and become a better player. The best way I've found to do this is to play multiplayer but, unfortunately, the MP in EU2 is very unstable.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old January 5, 2003, 09:02   #37
Dauphin
Deity

I've never played MP, I don't think I'd be good to play with because I always like to pause and change game speed regularly.

What speed do you normally play at? I might be up for a multiplay if and when the games MP functions are more stable.
Old January 5, 2003, 10:45   #38
Oerdin
Deity

I mp the games go alot slower then in sp. If thing are going well then I like the 1min=1year but if there is a war or rebelion then I slow it down to 1min=1month.

Most mp games I've played have been 1min=2 or 4 months depending on who's playing.
Old January 6, 2003, 17:10   #39
Optimizer
Prince

I have completed a Grand Campaign with Sweden. I got the entire Scandinavia and almost all of North America, but the whole world was very low-tech.
Optimizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2003, 18:29   #40
Oerdin
Deity

Who gave you the worst trouble? Russia or Denmark?
Old January 7, 2003, 08:20   #41
Optimizer
Prince

Well, you start as a vassal of Denmark, and you can apparently not become independent before the Engelbrekt uprising.

Russia remained as Muscovy, and never really rose to power.
Optimizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2003, 13:06   #42
Nikolai
Apolyton UniversityC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

First, you can breake the vassalage whenever you want, but before the event, you wont get any monarch other than a crappy parliament(sort of).

Second, in my old game as Sweden, I vassalized Russia early on, sorrounded them by wageing war against their neightbours(), then took Poland and Lithauania, diplo-annexed Russia(), took half of modern Germany, all of Scandinavia, then I took half of South America and nearly all of North America(). OK, enough bragging() but it was fun!
Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. -Isaiah 41:10
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. - Zephaniah 3:17
Get The List for cIV here!
Nikolai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2003, 11:12   #43
Heresson
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationNationStates
Emperor

Yes I did
Heresson is offline   Reply With Quote