Old November 26, 2002, 08:46   #1
Rufus T. Firefly
King

Local Time: 07:37
Local Date: November 1, 2010
The lone and level sands stretch far away
In my current game, I've inherited a city via culture-flip whose workable squares consist of the city square, a plains square, and 19 (!) desert squares. Obviously, even with irrigation, this city is fated never to need an aqueduct. The question is, what to do with a city like this? I'm currently using it as a worker farm, but is there some better use for it? Or perhaps some way to make it grow that I don't know about? TIA.
Old November 26, 2002, 08:51   #2
yxhuvud
Chieftain

Local Time: 12:37
Use it as a worker farm until you get railroads. then the desert will produce 2 food, allowing growth
Old November 26, 2002, 08:57   #3
aaglo
King

Local Time: 14:37
Yep. keep the city. It'll grow with railroads (irrigate every tile). And some required resources can be found on deserts (salpeter, oil).
Old November 26, 2002, 09:19   #4
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 08:37
What the others said.
Old November 26, 2002, 09:54   #5
ruby_maser
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshineC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Local Time: 05:37
if you need something to do 'til then, name it "Ozymandias"
"The dogmas of the quiet past are inadequate to the stormy present. The occasion is piled high with difficulty, and we must rise with the occasion. As our case is new, so we must think anew and act anew. We must disenthrall ourselves, and then we shall save our country." -- Abraham Lincoln

"Generations to come will scarce believe that such a one as this ever, in flesh and blood, walked upon this earth." -- Albert Einstein, in regards to Mohandis Gandhi
Old November 26, 2002, 11:10   #6
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 23:37
Quote:
Originally posted by Alexnm
What the others said.

You bothered to post that?

+1, I guess.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old November 26, 2002, 12:24   #7
Worthingtons
Prince

Local Time: 11:37
Railroads seem to make ANY city big, and you may get some strategic resources on there...
Old November 26, 2002, 12:25   #8
Alex
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt

You bothered to post that?

+1, I guess.
Yep.

Ozymandias... a nice poetic touch.
Old November 26, 2002, 12:26   #9
Alex
Emperor

About railroads... it is nice that they can make any city viable, but their effect is too overpowered, imo.
Old November 27, 2002, 01:44   #10
Rufus T. Firefly
King

Thanks all; I figured the solution might lie in RR, but wasn't sure. And kudos to all the Shelley scsholars!
Old November 27, 2002, 04:16   #11
The Pioneer
Prince

Well a city in the desert is not necessarily a bad thing in Civ 3. You never know what kind of resources may pop up, I would keep the city. Depending on its location it could be an outpost of sorts from where you can base some military action(s)

So long...
Old November 27, 2002, 07:14   #12
fittstim
Warlord

On the other hand, the choice to keep the city depends on other factors as well.

1. Are you playing on a huge map where city limitations (max 512) might come into play? If so, you'll want to abandon it eventually.

2. If you got the city through a culture flip, you probably have lots of other cities in the same general area. So ask yourself if you really need this city or would your resources be better used elsewhere?

3. If you like to have a high score or to be #1 in the stats, then your total population is a key factor. Cities in the desert, even with irrigated RR squares, aren't likely to get very high. Whereas a city surrounded by jungle (which is eventually converted to grasslands) can hope to grow to size 40 or so.

My advice is to use it as a worker and settler farm but never have any workers improve anything other than build a single track RR so that you can get your workers and settlers out of the desert ASAP.
Old November 27, 2002, 09:17   #13
TheStinger
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

I quite like desrt cities rubbish until railroads and then they boom(relativley) bit like LA i suppose
Old November 27, 2002, 10:16   #14
Mad Bomber
King

Fitstim:

A city with one plains and 19 desert squares can reach a population of 21 with a shield production of at least 21 w/o city improvements. if everything is irrigated and has RR improvement, so this city has more potential than you suggest.
* There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.
Old December 3, 2002, 18:49   #15
djafrot
Settler

would it be worth it, if one had this "desert" city early on, to build cultural improvements for the long term? I usually just set them to "wealth", although worker-farm is a good idea too.
Old December 3, 2002, 19:34   #16
Mad Bomber
King

I would enhance the city as every other normal city. Keep in mind that you do not want to build wonders here, but you can certainly get this city to come into full production once you get RR's. You just need to give this city a little jumpstart every so often with a rushed improvement. Of course no need to build Aqueducts, or hospitals until you discover steampower. I would build Cathedrals and Colluseums however because you need to build them before getting RR's to get the 1000 yr bonus in culture. Keep in mind that each worker you produce you have to pay support for and wealth gives you very little return with under 20 shields of production, best to build a unit if you do not want to build an improvement.
* There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.
Old December 5, 2002, 02:10   #17
eisey~
Settler

yup
i've had a city like that, surrounded in desert, ended up being a 25, bigger than some of my plains/hill country cities.. its whack yo. hmm.
Old December 8, 2002, 19:14   #18
Datajack Franit
NationStates
King

It will have a loooooow shield production
I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom
Old December 9, 2002, 00:34   #19
Datajack Franit
NationStates
King

Just hope AI won't nuke it or the city could just disappear within 10 turns
I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom
Old December 9, 2002, 03:09   #20
star mouse
Prince

Local Time: 22:37
I would put a Temple (or Library) in the city to expand the culture borders, a Barracks, a Granary, then have it produce veteran military units as well as the settlers and workers. Your city will reach size 4 before railroads, so it's not a complete loss at this time. Such a city producing military units every 20 turns or so is still productive.
Old December 10, 2002, 22:58   #21
Ozymandias
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Alexnm

Yep.

Ozymandias... a nice poetic touch.
Thank you! I can only agree

-Oz
... And on the pedestal these words appear: "My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!" Nothing beside remains. Round the decay of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare, the lone and level sands stretch far away ...
Old December 10, 2002, 23:03   #22
Brizey
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 06:37
One more thing...don't waste much time and effort on improvements that are magnified by population or produce unnecessary happiness. They won't be worth the upkeep. Just crank out units until you get RR.
Old December 10, 2002, 23:38   #23
star mouse
Prince

Local Time: 22:37
Quote:
Originally posted by Brizey
One more thing...don't waste much time and effort on improvements that are magnified by population or produce unnecessary happiness. They won't be worth the upkeep. Just crank out units until you get RR.
Yep, although one culture improvement is necessary to allow the borders to expand. The single plains square is unlikely to be next to the city so culture expansion is probably required. If you have the Trading Company wonder, you can also build a marketplace and a bank in the city because these become improvements with no upkeep cost.

While we all love those monster productive size-25 cities, it is finding uses for the small cities that is the real challenge of CIV. For a good game, try playing 3 billion / arid / cold worlds.