Old December 12, 2002, 01:22   #61
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 04:39
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by David Floyd
Perhaps they didn't have enough supplies?
Perhaps the morons didn't return their ships to port at all and let attrition destroy the entire fleet?
Old December 12, 2002, 09:15   #62
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 12:39
Ships should not sink from being at sea too long. They will lose organisation but should not lose strength points unless they are submarines. The AI isn't too good at repairing damaged ships unless retreat from combat sends them into port, so if they are being bombed from time to time they will eventually sink.
Old December 12, 2002, 19:56   #63
Cookie Monster
King

Local Time: 06:39
Quote:
Originally posted by Boris Godunov
And why is it there are no peace negotiations? I should be able to do more than either "sue for peace" or "annex." It should be like EU, with bargaining and such. I have all of NE France, the Italians have Marseilles and the Spanish have two of their SW provinces, so it's about damn time they gave up.
I agree. I am quite disappointed in the fact that a game as complex as HOI has no other peace negotiation options other than "sue for peace" or "annex". The only thing I can think of as to why Paradox left out other peace options out is the nature of WWII. I know that all the allied nations agreed not to negotiate separate peace with any of the axis combattants.
Old December 12, 2002, 21:09   #64
dudemanjack
Warlord

Local Time: 07:39
It's a war game, not a game like EU. I believed you answered your own complaint.
dudemanjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13, 2002, 22:07   #65
St Leo
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame

BTW, I heartily recommend that everyone who is playing HoI enables monthly autosaves.
Old December 14, 2002, 01:59   #66
vonManstein
Chieftain

The 1.02 patch is OUT!

http://www.europa-universalis.com/fo...threadid=61180

Make sure you get the correct version.
Old December 15, 2002, 09:25   #67
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 11:39
Quote:
Originally posted by dudemanjack
It's a war game, not a game like EU. I believed you answered your own complaint.
Have you played it? It is not a wargame, it's a grand strategy game in the same style of EU.

It just has a shorter and more action packed time-line. (I bet they'll make a sequel which covers the entire century, though )

Do It Ourselves
General Ludd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15, 2002, 13:26   #68
Boris Godunov
Emperor

It's really more a war game than a strategy game, Osweld. The diplomacy is very limited, there is no espionage (wtf?), and war is inevitable.
Old December 15, 2002, 14:49   #69
Boris Godunov
Emperor

Ok, playing with 1.02 now...I like some of the changes a LOT, especially the ability to cancel research and building units. I didn't notice, but can we do the same for territory improvements?

Big problem, though--in the read me, it said they tweaked diplomacy so it was much harder to influence other countries. Nope, the opposite seems to be true. Before I had to try many times to influence anyone. Now I can influence EVERYONE EVERY TIME. As Germany, I have turned the U.S.A to complete fascism, France and the U.K halfway there, and Russia has even moved in my direction. I was able to influence Netherlands and Belgium and Norway to fascism and secure military access. Now I can march through and attack France without actually having to conquer those countries. Can this be right?

I also noticed the AI seems to have stopped influencing nations at all. In 1.01 I was in a constant tug of war over the Benelux nations, with little side making headway. Now France and the UK don't influence them at all.

And, btw, the Axis now includes (it's Dec. 1937), Germany, Italy, Austria, Hungary, Romania, Greece, Turkey, Bulgaria, Nationalist Spain, Portugal, Norway, Sweden, Argentina and Chile.

Poland ceded Danzig to me without a fight, and I bet Czechoslovakia would give me the Sudetenland if I demanded it. I just don't want to push up the war willingness just yet.

I'm in deep trouble with rubber, though. I'm already having to convert oil to rubber, and have no clue how to get more. And oil is gonna run out soon, too. The world market thing confuses me, still not sure how it works...
Old December 15, 2002, 16:30   #70
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 11:39
Quote:
It's really more a war game than a strategy game, Osweld. The diplomacy is very limited, there is no espionage (wtf?), and war is inevitable.

Although it doesn't have the diplomacy options EU had. (and I think it should - I mean, why shouldn't you be able to negotiate peace terms?) it still plays much the same way, and war is not inevitable - certainly not in the historical way, anyways.

I've played a game as the soviet union where I was the main aggresor and the axis and allies never fought each other - the Axis declared war on me after invading Poland, China, and the Netherlands and the allies just sat and twidled their thumbs.

Currently, I'm playing a game as the soviets where I'm staying neutral from the axis/allies and am meanwhile invading a few small countries, staging coups, ect. turning the world communist.

1.02 Has fixed alot of problems, and it's amuch better game now. But there are still a few glaring problems - the biggest is probably that the research bonuss from computer techs do not save with the game, and you'll lose them when you load. And they haven't added partisans yet, either.

Do It Ourselves
General Ludd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16, 2002, 14:08   #71
Grumbold
Emperor

Quote:
I'm in deep trouble with rubber, though. I'm already having to convert oil to rubber, and have no clue how to get more. And oil is gonna run out soon, too. The world market thing confuses me, still not sure how it works...
In the info pages, check how many industries you have. Compare that to your steel and 2x for coal. The remainder tells you how much coal or steel you can trade away. Go to the world market and offer something along the lines of 225 coal for 75 rubber (3:1) by toggling the first icon to coal and selecting 3, then toggling the second icon to rubber and increasing to 75.

Pretty soon you should find your deal being accepted, and up to 75 rubber arriving every day. If the deal is listed in white it is accepted. In red it is being refused (but you still lose your 225 coal.)

For other resources, like oil or steel, you should only need to offer 2:1 to get a deal. The top of the world market shows the volume of surplus goods on the market. Typically everything except rubber is in plentiful supply.

Remember that in war time you only get 50% of what you order, so either stop trading or change your deals accordingly. Its probably worth researching the 2nd tier of conversion technologies before mid 1939 as Germany so you can abandon world trades as soon as possible.

Note: at the moment it seems your allies still expect you to trade with them on the world market. As Germany this makes it sensible to annex Romania and the other minor nations rather than invite them into the Axis.
Old December 16, 2002, 14:32   #72
Garth Vader
King

Local Time: 05:39
Now I can influence EVERYONE EVERY TIME. As Germany

That's odd. My first game in 1.02 as Germany I couldn't get anybody to join the Axis. Not even Italy.

Remember that in war time you only get 50% of what you order, so either stop trading or change your deals accordingly. Its probably worth researching the 2nd tier of conversion technologies before mid 1939 as Germany so you can abandon world trades as soon as possible.

One of the changes in 1.02 made trades during war worse. As Germany you are better off using conversion during war. Even without better research, although I would put a priority on that!
Old December 21, 2002, 20:40   #73
The Pioneer
Prince

I got it!!!
I am visiting family in the US, so I went out to the Babbage todaz and bought the game together with PTW. Now I only have to go back

So long...
The Pioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2002, 14:46   #74
Cookie Monster
King

Quote:
Big problem, though--in the read me, it said they tweaked diplomacy so it was much harder to influence other countries. Nope, the opposite seems to be true. Before I had to try many times to influence anyone. Now I can influence EVERYONE EVERY TIME. As Germany, I have turned the U.S.A to complete fascism, France and the U.K halfway there, and Russia has even moved in my direction. I was able to influence Netherlands and Belgium and Norway to fascism and secure military access.
That's funny, I've been playing as Germany in the 36 scenario with 1.02 and really can't influence anyone that easily. It takes 3-4 tries just to slightly increase my influence with Hungary for example.

Anyway if you leave well enough alone Germany automatically annexes Austria and the Sudetenland as well as the rest of Czechoslovakia via the game events.
Old December 30, 2002, 15:16   #75
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

For anyone who wants a greater challenge as Germany (or any country) in HOI, check out the thread dedicated to my HOI AI mod.

http://www.europa-universalis.com/fo...threadid=63208
Jon Shafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2003, 02:16   #76
ravagon
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 19:39
Quote:
I've run into pretty much the same problem. I can't seem to control how much oil is converted. I've even researched the coal-rubber tech but my ledger doesn't show any coal converting, only oil ...
I actually have ample oil at present but that may well change, er, soon.

Is there a way to take up any of the offers on the World market? The Brits were offering a 2:1 rubber: oil deal for about 700-odd rubber.
ravagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2003, 03:17   #77
Oerdin
Deity

You can increase resouce output by increasing infistructure in the provience where the resource is produced. It takes time but it does increase howmuch you get.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Oerdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2003, 03:11   #78
ravagon
King

Darnit. Now I seem to be having problems with convoys.
I'm playing the US and, having installed a garrison on several Pacific Islands I can't seem to supply them properly.
I've tried setting up convoys from LA, SF, Portland etc and they all seem to do the same thing. They carry a couple of days worth of supplies/oil and then nothing.
It doesn't seem to work that way with the other resources as I forgot to select the commodities in one case and ended up shipping a fair bit of iron and coal (I didn't have much spare rubber) to Honolulu. By the time I checked the convoy it had stopped carrying oil but the others were still going over quite happily.
The only way I can seem to increase my oil/supplies on these Islands seems to be for me to wait until they run out completely or to set up another convoy to bring it back to the mainland and then send every ship I have to the one place filled with oil and supplies.
Am I doing something wrong or is this a bug of some sort? (Don't just say 'yes' Leo ).
Old January 6, 2003, 10:06   #79
Grumbold
Emperor

Its a "design decision" that offshore stockpiles of military resources (oil, supplies) only be allowed to carry 1 weeks worth for the forces that rely on them. So if you want Honalulu to have a big supply of materiel you need to send your entire Pacific fleet to dock there. Its max value will shoot up. Wait until that total is reached then dock your fleet somewhere else. Moving the fleet around like this can create a series of stockpiles all large enough for your whole fleet for one week apiece.

There are a few islands that seem to magically build up their own stockpiles once you have landed troops there at least once, but expect those "features" to be squelched sooner or later.
Old January 6, 2003, 15:09   #80
Oerdin
Deity

ravagon: Your convoys have to carry supplies to your forces stationed in territories which are not contigious to your production centers. If you don't then the men run out of supplies and the unit is disbanded.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Oerdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2003, 23:31   #81
ravagon
King

Nuts. This seems to be some sort of bug then.
This was all before I actually put forces on the islands so the force size had nothing to do with it. I was building up stockpiles before deploying so I wouldn't suffer any out-of-supply losses.
Problem was that even when forces were deployed (I, rather unwisely, used Mech Inf) and the oil/supplies ran out the convoys didn't start transporting them again.
Also, I was never able to have more than one convoy at a time carrying either oil or supplies to any destination.
Old January 7, 2003, 11:05   #82
Garth Vader
King

Local Time: 05:39
You can increase resouce output by increasing infistructure in the provience where the resource is produced. It takes time but it does increase howmuch you get.

No it doesn't. That's in the manual but not in the game. At least not that I have noticed, and there are many complaints at the HOI boards about this.

Also, I was never able to have more than one convoy at a time carrying either oil or supplies to any destination.

That's odd.

Convoys:
Ship coal/steel/rubber from overseas to your home territory as needed to max industry.

Ship supplies and oil (if needed) to overseas for troops.
I have never noticed any kind of stockpile building, so you will just have to see if your troops are listed as being in supply.

You will seldom see your convoy actually carrying supplies or oil, it just seems to go as needed.

Naval units are sometimes buggy and show that they are out of oil while in port. If you have a convoy bringing oil to that port, or to a province with a link to that port just move the fleet out and back in again.

Some Pacific islands are connected, so you don't have to convoy as much as you might fear.

I tried as Japan shipping oil and supplies to mainland China, and then from Singapore to Austrailia, but that didn't seem to work so now I do everything from the homeland.

You also have to supply troops in foriegn countries separatly so if you are US you have to send a convoy to france, and one to Germany when liberating europe. My planes seemed to be fine in the UK, but I tried to not leave them there for too long.
Old January 7, 2003, 12:09   #83
Grumbold
Emperor

You should only need one convoy per connected series of islands, but more won't cause any harm or increase the total. There's a basic minimum stockpile level it will permit even before troops are stationed anywhere (I think its based on the infrastructure.) Shipping supplies to two connected provinces won't create two supply dumps, it will all feed into one. Moving a supply dump once a province has been picked is a right pain in the butt.

All oil and supplies need to go to your capital stockpile before they can be shipped back to overseas stockpiles.

I don't know why you didn't get more supply after troops land - that is definitely unusual.
Old January 16, 2003, 23:06   #84
ravagon
King

With allies like these ...
After stumbling my way through an island-hopping camapign (well, it would've been a cakewalk but I still don't really know what I'm doing ) I finally got to Japan and noticed a rather large array of forces waiting for me.
Ergo I decided to land a force in mainland China - in the hope of splitting the Japanese home forces as they rush reinforcements to the mainland. I find out (the hard way - not that I really looked) that those territories I capture link up to GB's holdings in Hong Kong, hence everything I grab becomes British soil.
This isn't quite so much of a problem as they are my allies (presumably it would've been US soil if they weren't?) but I'm not quite sure whether they have sufficient supplies to support me for a sustained campaign on the mainland so I ship a few thousand units of oil and supplies over to the province I landed in and begin the reconquest. Several territories in I suddenly get the out-of-oil light showing up on my mechanized units so I slow down to let them resupply (I'd been fairly careful in making sure they weren't cut off or anysuch). Unfortunately they don't resupply and I think I know why. Those darned Brits ferried the oil out of the territory I landed it in and left me sitting high and dry. Grrr. I don't think they moved the supplies though as my units still recovered org.
Is there any way to prevent this? Can I ask them nicely not to do it again or perhaps leave a guard on it to shoo away the accursed British merchantile marine, or should I just booby-trap all my supplies next time.

In any case I now have one of the little atom symbols to play with. Just need to decide on the where.
Old January 17, 2003, 09:56   #85
Grumbold
Emperor

Conquering territory going to the adjacent territory is irritating but once you know the rule its normally easy to circumvent by picking a slightly different invasion spot. I've not encountered the oil removal syndrome before, but its one to flag up on the Paradox forums certainly.
Old March 30, 2003, 00:19   #86
Reinhard-Baer
Chieftain

Re: Hearts of Iron
Quote:
Originally posted by dudemanjack
Has anybody seen previews for this game, Hearts of Iron? It's a WWII game on a global scale. Looks like it'll be pretty good.
And now it's out and we KNOW it's a pretty good game Furthermore guys this is a WWII simulation there is no place for peace negotiations. Peace will reign when one side is dead, that's it. As in reality the Allies signed a contract that no one will sign peace with the Axis on their own and they all committed themselves to fight till the end, one way or another. Well apart from the frogs but who cares, they don't count anyway
Reinhard-Baer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2003, 08:10   #87
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

The Frogs were already out of it by the time the "no seperate peace" was signed and the USSR and USA had actively joined the Alliance.