Old November 27, 2002, 12:05   #1
metalhead
Warlord

Local Time: 07:40
Local Date: November 1, 2010
OCC strats - post 'em here!
In an attempt to (hopefully) stimulate some discussion on OCC games, I'm going to post some of my preferred strats in reaching the SS victory on higher levels.

One tip I would start with is to NOT be the Babs. While they have the best trait combo for OCC, I think, building the Colossus and GL triggers their GA, often while still despotic. This is a terrible waste of what will be a great help in winning the game for you - the modern GA.

Another tip, which has always paid off, is to turn off research once building the GL, and crank it back up to 100% once I receive Theology from the GL and grab Printing Press. I have always gotten this tech first, and been able to trade my way up to parity, and get a nice gold surplus as well.

My favorite strat for starting the industrial age is to build a bank, and crank my science down to 0, and spend all of my saved gold and gpt buying the last 2-3 techs from non-scientific civs to get into the industrial age. As I am always a scientific civ, I can immediately get Nationalism and turn around to those civs I just gave all of my money to (an others as well), and get it all back, plus any medieval techs i missed, plus a ton more gold, all on the same turn. Of course, you have to keep an eye on the other civs positions in the game, as this works best if you buy your way into the industrial age on the same turn that the top civs get there. You then should have a clear shot at 100% research to ToE, which, even if you don't get it, you are in a position to go straight for radio, which will net you a nice profit and fill in a lot of your missing techs.

In the late industrial ages, getting flight is a killer, as you lose your colossus benefits. Wait as long as you can to get this tech, preferably using the Scientific buy-and-sell technique (if you are scientific, obviously) to get your best possible start into the modern ages. If you're lucky, you'll get (or be able to trade a scientific civ for) computers, if not, research first to bring your science back up with Research Lab/SETI. If you are not scientific, just research flight last and go right for computers.

This is where your GA comes in. If you are Rel/Sci, Rel/Exp, or Sci/Exp, then your GA was already wasted earlier in the game from wonders. Once you have SETI/Research Lab, and the other 3 base modern techs, find the weakest civ, or one thats being piled on and far away, and join in. You will hopefully be able to pick off an obsolete/wounded unit with your UU, and your GA will get you most of the way through your spaceship. If you can reasearch/trade for Space Flight and Synthetic Fibers before your GA without falling too far behind, then do it by all means. The key is to get as far through the SS as possible during your GA.

If you find yourself getting beaten to the SS anyway (spying helps greatly), reduce yourself to ROP rape and muster a large enough force to raze the offending capital(s). Remember, if you launch the SS, it doesn't matter if you are at war, although you will be well served to pick up as many allies as you can afford prior to this desperate maneuver, and try not to do it unless you are 10-15 turns away, at most. nb, this strat was lifted and slightly modified from DaveMcW's Emperor OCC spaceship win, but I had to include it.
Old November 27, 2002, 12:43   #2
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 06:40
I would think that using the Ancient Era GA to build more Ancient Era wonders would be very imporant, since your probably going after a Clutural Victory with your city the envy of the world. The earlier you get the wonders, the more culture gets produced.

Anyway, with only 1 city, your not wasting much to corruption and wate being Despotic.

Printing Press is so low a priority for the AI, that you can even succeed in researching it in the maximum 40 turns.

Shakespheres Theater needs to be a high priority to build in the Middle Ages with the very high culutral rating.

I've always gotten Rocketry as my free tech.

Also in the modern era, ignore the Space Race and instead go after anything that improves culutre. (Especally wonders.) The most valuable in the UN with the most culture, which also allows the possibility of a Diplomatic Victory.
Old November 27, 2002, 13:03   #3
metalhead
Warlord

I think you missed the point of the thread - which is strats that people use to get a Spaceship victory in a OCC, on levels Monarch and above.

Ancient era wonders other than Colossus and GL are just bonuses - definitely not worth wasting a GA on early in the game if you want a realistic shot at building the space ship. It's not that you lose the extra shields and trade in the despotic GA, although you do, it's the loss of 21 trade and 10-15 shields, which in the modern age will net your city over 100 extra beakers and 30 shields per turn in the modern age in a well-played OCC.

On Monarch, and especially Emperor and Deity, if you wait 40 turns to get Printing Press, you will not only be behind in techs, but Printing Press will be worthless. The English especially seem to go for Printing Press early for some reason.

You will get other techs besides Rocketry for free as a Scientific Civ - although I don't think we've ever found out what variables determine your free tech.
Old November 27, 2002, 13:30   #4
Dominae
BtS Tri-LeaguePtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

I'm not too impressed with the Religious trait in OCC. Cheaper Temples and Cathedrals will save you 3-4 turns max, and you usually don't need the happiness that bad because you're trading for Luxuries. The lack of anarchy is irrelevant since it's always one turn if you only have 1 city. I now prefer Industrious to Scientific, so my two favorites are Persians and Ottomans.

Dominae
Old November 27, 2002, 15:01   #5
metalhead
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Dominae
I'm not too impressed with the Religious trait in OCC. Cheaper Temples and Cathedrals will save you 3-4 turns max, and you usually don't need the happiness that bad because you're trading for Luxuries. The lack of anarchy is irrelevant since it's always one turn if you only have 1 city. I now prefer Industrious to Scientific, so my two favorites are Persians and Ottomans.
Dominae
You only get 1 turn anarchy on your OCC games? I always end up spending 2-5 turns in anarchy when changing govs; I only once remember having 1 turn anarchy in OCC. If you're always changing govs in 1 turn, then it is irrelevant, but I end up saving a lot of turns, and getting full Colossus benefits much sooner if I am Religious by switching to Monarchy right away instead of waiting for Republic. But I would agree that Persia and the Ottomans are the best because of the early GA issue with the Babs.
Old November 27, 2002, 15:37   #6
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

I've never failed to discover Printing Press in 40 turns on Emperor level.

The English AI seemed to ignore Printing Press like everyone else and beeline instead for Navigation.
Perhaps the AI tech priorites have changed in PTW?
Old November 27, 2002, 15:47   #7
Brizey
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

I have also experienced the one turn anarchy without religious.