Old November 30, 2002, 15:48   #1
Naiveplayer
Chieftain

Local Time: 03:50
Local Date: November 1, 2010
'Settler in a ship' - what can I do?
I'm in a fickle with the French. I managed to seize all their cities and they're not destroyed. I can't conduct espionage missions because they don't have a capital. On a FAQ the author said if that happens, they must have a settler on a ship somewhere. What can I do?
Old November 30, 2002, 16:15   #2
Zero-Tau
Chieftain

Local Time: 12:50
Here's a few possibilities:

Hunt down the ship and destroy it.

Make peace with them, and destroy them when they found their new capital.

Sign a military alliance with someone and wait for them to hunt down the ship. (Be careful; if the deal contains any luxuries or gold per turn,and the French are destroyed before 20 turns have passed, you will be considered a deal breaker.)

Just make peace with them.
Old November 30, 2002, 21:32   #3
Datajack Franit
NationStates
King

Local Time: 12:50
Nuke the whole world! Blast every single ocean tile!

You can do as Zero-Tau suggests but that's much funnier
I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom
Old December 1, 2002, 02:42   #4
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Local Time: 13:50
Does anyone know if they fixed the bug so that the ship sails, or if it just stays on the very same location all the dtime since the last city was destroyed.

What happens if they have a settler on a mountain will it move or it it frezzed as well?
Old December 1, 2002, 08:45   #5
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 08:50
As Zero-Tau suggested, you may hunt down their ship and destroy it, or you may make peace with them and raze their new capital later.

@ Gramphos: I read somewhere that the settler bug was fixed, but I'm not sure.
Old December 1, 2002, 09:53   #6
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

The bug that made the saves corrupt was fixed, but was the AI lock up fixed too?
Old December 19, 2002, 02:20   #7
Naiveplayer
Chieftain

Well, the French have no navy. None at all. Never have seen a French sea unit ever. So I don't see how it could happen, but it's the only likely possiblity.

I once tried giving the French a city of mine (island city, guarded by a marine) and that turn I declared war on the French. What was most amazing is that all the citizens were French, all cultural improvements and every improvement had been destroyed, and there was a riflemen guarding a city!

I took it over pretty fast, but they were still not destroyed!

During negioations, in which the French remain furious with me, the advisor is telling me that we don't have a sea route with them and that's why I can't trade with them.

Should I post a save of this game?
Old December 19, 2002, 02:38   #8
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

you can do that, yes.
Old December 19, 2002, 16:19   #9
MiloMilo
Warlord

Local Time: 06:50
NP:

When a city changes hands, all cultural improvements automatically disappear. Nothing out of the ordinary there. Maybe they sold the rest because they were poor and only had one city. Also, when you give someone a city, they automatically get a regular unit that is the best defender available to them given their technology. Any of your units in the city will be teleported to your capital (can be nice if you're fighting a losing war on another continent). I see nothing out of the ordinary in your post.

Finally, if they have a settler, why will giving them a city and taking it back do anything? They still have the settler. The problem is if there is no free space on the map to settle, so the settler has nowhere to go and they can never found a city. Try this: raze that island city. I bet within a few turns the french settler will show up and plop down a city. Then take it from them and they should be gone.

Why are you so interested in exterminating them anyway? If all they have is a settler they can't hurt you, right?
Old December 19, 2002, 19:48   #10
Naiveplayer
Chieftain

I never did that before (given a city up) and was quite suprised that everything was totally different. A unit defending, all the citizens of French origin. Assimilation very, very fast.

I have a deal with that because I hated the French. I was a little bit late, and they grabbed the land that I was moving to claim it. So I had a useless settler because all the land had already been taken.

They are hurting me. Bit by bit I took their cities, shattering their army as they counterattacked and attacked my own cities. So when I finally took their last city, I thought I had done away with them for good...

I'll post a save. I don't have the file with me now, though. And I thought I would have go through uploading to an uploads folder and all, but I see the attach file function is 5MB. Plenty of space.
Old December 21, 2002, 17:41   #11
Naiveplayer
Chieftain

Ok, I have the save here. Please download it, and see...
Attached Files:
Old December 22, 2002, 03:12   #12
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

Strange. The French have no units and no cities...
Old December 22, 2002, 10:37   #13
Mazarin
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Prince

Local Time: 11:50
Quote:
Originally posted by MiloMilo
Why are you so interested in exterminating them anyway? If all they have is a settler they can't hurt you, right?
they can hurt him . In one of my games, I took over all russian cities, but couldn't find their last settler...so I made peace to avoid war weariness. five turns later (the Russians still didn't have a capitol), three of my newly conquered cities flipped back .