Old December 1, 2002, 06:31   #1
Rusty Nail
Warlord

Local Time: 12:51
Local Date: November 1, 2010
MP 1 on 1 strategies
I am still waiting for PTW here but have been doing some interesting simulations (including the new civs) of a one on one MP game with a random "micro map" (about 38x38) and only two civs, to see what civ is most attractive in a game that I suspect may become an MP PTW classic because it is short and challenging. One result: no game has yet gone beyond 1 AD. The only characteristics that have any value are miitarist (for the fast walls and barracks and vet units) and industrious. Everything else is useless. And the only UU's of interest are the the early available ones, with the bonus of a golden age (have to get the timing right!). This restricts the field enormously. You might be surprised at my tentative first choice after severäl exprériments.

What do you suspect would be YOUR first choice under these circumstances and why? (Careful! You may be in for some surprise counter-strategies).
Old December 1, 2002, 12:53   #2
Acemo
Civilization III Multiplayer
Warlord

Local Time: 06:51
Local Date: November 1, 2010
There will always be counter stratregies. In a 1v1 game, I can always pick a civ that will match up against any other civ. This would be especially true for such a small map. Personally I have gotten kind of sick of swordsmen rushes, this is not civ to me. The biggest question in these games has been, "Do I have iron?". If not then I am usually screwed.
To answer your question, I would go with either the Aztecs or Greeks. The Aztecs can be early game monsters with their jag warriors, and I think the hoplite for defense against swordsmen and the added bonus of the associated GA would be nice too.