Old December 1, 2002, 18:34   #1
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

Local Time: 11:53
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Covert Ops Centre
I noticed that we didn't have a place to discuss exploration or intelligence ideas, so as DEI, I thought I'd make one

If anyone has ideas about where we need to explore, exploration or intelligence units we should build, or what to do when we find other factions, please post them here.

I will keep this post updated with the latest exploration and intelligence information, along with matters that need addressing.

Current DEI Issues

The General Intelligence polls have been completed. The results are
1) When at any state other than vendetta, infiltrate only;
2) When at war, allow everything but atrocities (Lemmy: we do have guts, be we also have morals )

In the DPO's High command office centre thread, the general consensus at the moment is for a covert war, not full military warfare. If anyone has anything specific on how they want to wage a covert war, please post it here.

We are getting a new Probe Team and Transport Foil, with the intension on infiltrating the University (that currently has no coastal bases). Is this a good idea?

With DBTS new plan for war against the Morganites, while I'm aware this isn't supported by most, should we be thinking about a covert war yet? If we are, how do you want it to start? As you all know, I am against any such action.

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker

Last edited by Drogue; December 20, 2002 at 06:09.
Old December 1, 2002, 18:55   #2
Lemmy
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Spartans
King

Local Time: 13:53
There is still a dusty ol' DEI office to be found here: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...hreadid=63687, but i think the building is condemned now, so a new office would be good
<Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!
Old December 1, 2002, 19:01   #3
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness

Ahhh, looked in the Directory and couldn't find that. Cheers.

TKG: Can you put this thread in the Directory under DEI 'Citizen Polls/Discussions'.

Mucho Appriciated.

Old December 1, 2002, 19:38   #4
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Local Time: 08:53
Quote:
Originally posted by Drogue
Ahhh, looked in the Directory and couldn't find that. Cheers.

TKG: Can you put this thread in the Directory under DEI 'Citizen Polls/Discussions'.
i think the old one is still in the term III dir, but since it was lemmy's doing (and nobody used it ) i didn't include it in V4.0
Old December 1, 2002, 20:03   #5
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 22:53
Re inflitration - I would be in favour of infiltrating absolutely everyone as fast possible, since it not only allows us valuable information, it also increases the experience of the probe team used. This remains true even after the EG or Planetary Governorship.
Old December 1, 2002, 22:39   #6
Hercules
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 SpartansACDG3 GaiansC4DG VoxC4WDG éirich tuireannC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsACDG PeaceACDG3 Data Angels
Deity

Local Time: 12:53
Quote:
I would be in favour of infiltrating absolutely everyone as fast possible, since it not only allows us valuable information, it also increases the experience of the probe team used. This remains true even after the EG or Planetary Governorship

No question
Old December 2, 2002, 02:08   #7
Jhanactus
Alpha Centauri Democracy Game
Settler

Infinltrate everyone we can, as fast as possible. Send out more probe teams to the west, as well.
Old December 2, 2002, 08:32   #8
Drogue
staff

OK, I'll set up a poll on possible probe team actions, and have asked for another probe foil to go out west.

Old December 2, 2002, 09:29   #9
Aaron Blackwell
Warlord

Infiltrating all the factions

Nothing to add really in that case.

By the way, there was a probe that was on the verge of infiltrating the hive near labourer's throng.

Is it already done or is it still under way ?

Just a question.
Old December 2, 2002, 12:00   #10
Drogue
staff

Its on the way (but to a Leader's Horde, it's closer) and has orders to reach it ASAP and infiltrate.

Old December 7, 2002, 20:46   #11
Drogue
staff

New issues added, input needed!

Old December 7, 2002, 20:49   #12
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

How to wage a covert war - Build up a probe aramada, then send them to cause havoc in Hive coastal bases by:

1) Stealing ECs.
2) Stealing Tech/maps.
3) Sabotaging base facilities.
4) Mind Controlling bases when necessary.
Old December 7, 2002, 23:10   #13
Drogue
staff

Quote:
Originally posted by GeneralTacticus
1) Stealing ECs.
2) Stealing Tech/maps.
3) Sabotaging base facilities.
4) Mind Controlling bases when necessary.
In any particular order? Anything you would like me to concentrate on? Personally I'd go techs (if they have any), base facilities then MC or forcefully takeover. Don't really steal Ec much unless they have loads.

Last edited by Drogue; December 7, 2002 at 23:15.
Old December 7, 2002, 23:12   #14
GeneralTacticus
Emperor

Your order seems to be about right. Do them in order of convenience.
Old December 8, 2002, 08:35   #15
Aaron Blackwell
Warlord

In order to wreak a 'probe tempest' havoc as General Tacitus properly suggest, I'd like to add a small thing to this.

It could be usefull to mind control one of his bases and uses it as a 'Tête de pont' from where to launch intelligence and military operation right from the hearth of the Yang's territory.

If we don't, the intelligence operation will considerably slowed down and limited to a few cities.

On the other hand, having a base right in the heart of yang territory would require prudence, lot of prudence and will require the sending of a few garrisons that will be able to hold it.

So I am not sure which option is best for us at this time but, yes, do unleash probe havoc on Yang.

That should teach him not to mess with us
Old December 8, 2002, 08:56   #16
Drogue
staff

I think keep off the MC at the moment, we don't have enough forces to successfully hold it, nor the transports to continually back it up with garrisons IMHO. I would wait for HEC (Plasma armor) and until we have built the CDF before we MC and garrison it.

Old December 9, 2002, 12:39   #17
Drogue
staff

Provisional Orders
Provisional DEI orders:

The Western probe foil is to continue moving towards the coast and then up the coast, infiltrating the first faction they come across, since we have not yet finished the peoples last expressed wishes. If anyone objects, please post grievances and I shall try to address them.

The Eastern probe foil's, new ships' and scout patrol's orders, are subject to polls, which is shall post tonight, so that people can give me their ideas for what they would like the options in the poll to be (*hint* *hint* )

Old December 16, 2002, 02:11   #18
GeneralTacticus
Emperor

*BUMP*

I was just examining the save file to revise my orders for the Centralis region, and I noticed that the Hive is within 1 year of developing SFF. This makes it a no.1 priotity to get the eastern probe foil to a Hive base and steal it ASAP, as this will not only eliminate the tech edge Yang has over us, but will save many years of research as well.
Old December 16, 2002, 05:15   #19
Drogue
staff

Yep, which was why I ordered that last turn (it just hasn't reached it yet)

Old December 16, 2002, 05:20   #20
GeneralTacticus
Emperor

Good.
Old December 16, 2002, 18:50   #21
AdamTG02
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Data AngelsC4WDG Delian LeagueC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Prince

Local Time: 07:53
I'd like to suggest moderation in saobotaging base facilities. If we can disrupt troop porduction, that's good. But if we destroy a base's Perimeter Defense and then Mind Control it, won't we be in a worse tactical situation?

I'd favor allowing the Hive to keep the necessities of life: Rec Commons, Children's Creche . . . even Perimeter Defenses would be a boon to us once we mind control the base. Sabotaging Rec Commons may produce chaos for the Hive, but it also makes it significantly harder to establish a stable provisional government, after the conquest. Even Network Nodes, in the enemy's hands, will help us -- we're about to cash in on the Hive discovery of Synthetic Fossil Fuels, are we not?

I'm open to being proven wrong, but in my mind unrestricted sabotage seems like it would be more costly in the long run.
Old December 16, 2002, 19:08   #22
Drogue
staff

Probably right if we intend to MC. But stealing tech IMO has priority ATM at least anyway.

Old December 17, 2002, 01:32   #23
GeneralTacticus
Emperor

Net Nodes don't help us to steal tech, and there's no need to help them along tech-wise, as they'll have SFF next turn regardless.
Old December 17, 2002, 12:21   #24
AdamTG02
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Data AngelsC4WDG Delian LeagueC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Prince

My point was that the quicker the Hive researches new technology, the quicker we can steal it from them.

However, I recognize that leaving the enemy's facilities intact may make the war more difficult. Maybe a compromise? Leave facilities intact in the three southwest bases (The Hive, Laborer's Throng, and The Leader's Horde), and wreak mayhem elsewhere.

On the other hand, our probe teams might be best used specifically to disrupt enemy troop production. If we're able to stop that, destroying facilities such as Recycling Tanks and Command Centers doesn't really net us anything.

What do you all think?
Old December 17, 2002, 13:27   #25
AdamTG02
Prince

It occurs to me that the Hive has files on High Energy Chemistry, which we have been researching for over 10 years.

If we were to acquire those files, we would be able to focus our efforts on other areas of knowledge. My best analysis is that we would be able to research a different new technology in three or four years.

What does the Exploration and Intelligence Directorate plan to do to acquire these files?
Old December 17, 2002, 15:07   #26
Drogue
staff

I have ordered (last turnchat) the nearest Probe Foil to infiltrate the Hive at the Leader's Horde to steal tech. Hoping to either get HEC or SFF. It will reach it in about 4 more turns I estimate. If there is no objection, I plan to keep the orders polled for last turnchat for the next one, since we only played 2 turns.

Is this to our esteemed DoS's liking?

Last edited by Drogue; December 18, 2002 at 04:47.
Old December 17, 2002, 15:58   #27
Earwicker
Civilization II Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 06:53
I agree that the theft of technology has priority at the moment. Depending upon how long until we discover HEC, it might even be more important than infiltration: if we could acquire HEC and SFF in advance of our own discovery of both, we'll have saved years toward the research of Neural Grafting or some other vital tech.

As for sabotage, it seems most prudent to do only when

* you have a number of probes ready to strike in quick succession (otherwise you might repeatedly sabotage the four mins toward a recon rover instead of knocking out the perimeter defense);

* the base has piled up huge production for an SP, prototype, or expensive facility; and/ or

* you don't mind losing pop points after capturing it, because of drone control.

All told, I agree that it's usually better to go for draining energy reserves. However, unless the Hive has been thieving from someone else, it's unlikely that Yang has a huge store.
Old December 17, 2002, 19:12   #28
AdamTG02
Prince

Quote:
Is this to our esteemed DoS's liking?
Definitely. It's too bad that we won't be able to get a new tech in time to transfer our research in High Energy Chemistry to something else, but there's not much we can do about that. It's only just now that we learned he had the tech at all. So stealing Synthetic Fossil Fuels, and then Nonlinear Mathematics, from Yang's two nearest sea bases seems like a good idea.

Thanks for the update.

Earwicker: I'm actually advocating directed sabotage, which is a bit riskier for our Probe Teams but would allow us to eliminate the base facilities which allow the Hive to threaten us (mainly, Perimeter Defenses) while leaving other facilites intact.
Old December 17, 2002, 22:47   #29
Voltaire
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessNever Ending StoriesC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Human Hive
King

Local Time: 04:53
Though it may be desirable to prevent the Hive form acquiring planet busters by means other than conventional warfare, we must be prepared to admit that sabotage can only go so far.

But furthermore, we must ask ourselves, are we willing to go to fight a conventional war with the Hive in the first place? If it becomes a necessity, as in the case of a Hiverian invasion of our mainland, then we have little choice in the matter. But what about in the case of an invasion against the Hiverian forces on their continent? Are we prepared to sacrifice our soldiers? Furthermore, can we launch an effective assault against the Hive in their own territory? There questions are paramount in discussions regarding any actions against the Hive.

Whatever the decision, we need to be certain that first of all, we can execute it effectively, and second, that we are prepared for the consequences of our decision.
Old December 18, 2002, 01:42   #30
GeneralTacticus
Emperor

Quote:
Furthermore, can we launch an effective assault against the Hive in their own territory?
YES! It won't be easy, but we will have to do it sooner or later.