Old December 1, 2002, 21:39   #1
Flash
Apolyton UniversityCivilization IV Creators
Warlord

Local Time: 06:54
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Population
Does anyone know how many citizens are in a poulation point? or how men are in a military unit?

Also, I think my coworker might be thinking of CTP2, but does the city radius expand beyond 20 squares? He claims it expanded again after he reached a population of around 25.
Old December 1, 2002, 22:32   #2
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 07:54
Cities can only have 21 workable tiles.
Old December 2, 2002, 04:56   #3
fittstim
Warlord

Local Time: 12:54
Well of course a city can have a population over 20. In fact, most of my cities get up into the ten's of millions. But of course, I assume you mean city size. In my games I achieve a city size in the high 30's lower 40's for most of my cities after I start building RR's everywhere.

The population assigned to a city of SIZE XX varies depending on XX. I believe a city starts out with a pop of 10,000 (don't quote me, I'm going with my memory from CivII). As the population of the city grows, the city size grows - but the growth is non-linear. Maybe it's multiplicative (10k, 20k, 40k etc) but I can't check this out right now.

Although you can have a city with a size greater than 20, all of these additional "citizens" must be either tax collectors, scientists, or entertainers. None of them can create additional shields, commerce or food by working the land (since there is no new land to work).

The "cultural" borders can certainly expand after a city has reached 20 (or greater). The expansion is based on the culture points of the city. They expand at 10, 100, 1000, 10.000, 100.000 etc. I'm not sure if it's possible to reach 100.000 but I've exceeded 10.000 in my capital city.

However, this only means that the city's cultural borders have expanded. The city workers (== the city SIZE) can't actually utilize these new squares. They are shaded out in the city screen. So your empire continues to expand but you can't exploit this new territory without a new city.
Old December 2, 2002, 06:40   #4
Tattila the Hun
King

Local Time: 14:54
This is good for resources, you don't have to have the resource in workable tile to use it, only inside your cultural borders.
Old December 2, 2002, 14:02   #5
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Actually a city is not guarantee to have 21 tiles that are workable in its radus as some could be overlapped by anoter city and hence not useable. The cities population is limited by the amount of food you have to feed the pop (if you have the prereq structures such as hospitals). Culture will coninue to be generated every turn based on the the cities properties (wonders/structures).
Old December 8, 2002, 19:10   #6
Datajack Franit
NationStates
King

So what's the highest pop you can have? 33-35?
I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom
Old December 8, 2002, 19:17   #7
punkbass2000
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III Democracy GameApolyton UniversityCivilization III PBEM
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Datajack Franit
Actually, you can have city sizes well over a thousand. Someone at CFC discovered this cheat a while ago. Just add workers to the city in huge numbers, as you can only lose one pop point per turn.
Old December 9, 2002, 07:38   #8
bongo
lifer
PtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafPtWDG Neu DemogypticaCivilization III PBEMC3CDG Blood Oath HordeIron CiversC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

In civ2 the formula for calculating citizens is p=10000*n*( (n+1)/2 ) where n is population points.

Civ3 use the same formula but also take into account the contents of the food box. The formula becomes p=10000*n*( (n+1)/2 ) + f*1000 where f is number of food in the box.

As for ctp2, yes it's cities expanded beyond 21 squares. Haven't played it for a while but I'm pretty sure I had cities which worked over 70 tiles.
Old December 9, 2002, 09:20   #9
theNiceOne
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Datajack Franit
If you mean the highest pop a sity can grow to by itself, the answer is 71 - if it has access to 20 flood plains with wheat in its 20 workable squares (in addition to its city square). That's a bit extreme though...

But even a city that has access to grassland only, can get 4 food out of each square, and thus a total of 82 food when all 20 squares are worked on, meaning that it can support 41 citizens.
Old December 9, 2002, 10:37   #10
bongo
lifer
PtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafPtWDG Neu DemogypticaCivilization III PBEMC3CDG Blood Oath HordeIron CiversC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

71 citizens!! Did you have any pollution problems in that city? Guess Not
Old December 9, 2002, 11:02   #11
theNiceOne
Warlord

I have never had such a city, I only told you the theoretical maximum without manually adding workers/settlers.

I'm still looking forward to getting a starting position with 20 flood plains + wheat around my city. It would be fun to have a city that produced 102 extra food per turn at size 20. A pity that it would produce only one shield per turn though
Old December 9, 2002, 19:42   #12
CiverDan
Civilization III MultiplayerPtWDG Lux InvictaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Roleplay
Prince

Local Time: 06:54
Getting city sizes in a normal game of 43-45 is not out of the question, assuming you have all grass with a few cows/wheat.
Old December 10, 2002, 05:54   #13
bongo
lifer
Emperor

theNiceOne , oops, misread your post a bit.

To lessen pollution problems I usually stop the growth of my cities around 25. A size 71 city could almost start global warming on its own. BTW, isn't flood plains safe from the effects of global warming?
Old December 10, 2002, 06:06   #14
theNiceOne
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by bongo
theNiceOne , oops, misread your post a bit.

To lessen pollution problems I usually stop the growth of my cities around 25. A size 71 city could almost start global warming on its own. BTW, isn't flood plains safe from the effects of global warming?
If you have mass transit in a city, then the total pollution from citizens will be one pollution triangle, regardless of how big the city is.

For the record, my cities seldom grow above 15. I generally build them so close that I get to use almost all squares with only size 12 cities. This is a huge benefit before hospitals can be built, and quite good later too, as it gives a very small pollution problem and it's easy to keep all cities in WLTKD. You don't get any single powerhouse city that way, but you get lots of decent ones.
Old December 10, 2002, 13:17   #15
Trifna
King

Local Time: 19:54
SoLuTiOn
I guess the solution to this would be to put this closer to reality by making workers that are eating. These workers are population, it's just that they work for the state. Thus it'd demand a reevaluation of the model to put it right.
Old December 10, 2002, 13:43   #16
punkbass2000
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III Democracy GameApolyton UniversityCivilization III PBEM
King

Re: SoLuTiOn
Quote:
Originally posted by Trifna
I guess the solution to this would be to put this closer to reality by making workers that are eating. These workers are population, it's just that they work for the state. Thus it'd demand a reevaluation of the model to put it right.
You could say the same about military units, though.
Old December 11, 2002, 04:49   #17
bongo
lifer
Emperor

Trifna , that is the way it works in civ2, where settlers(and engineers) cost food. Could be a pain in the ass sometimes when you were short on food and needed a settler to increase food production...
Old December 11, 2002, 07:07   #18
TacticalGrace
Prince

Local Time: 11:54
Now that units don't have a home city any food requirement would have to be taken from a national food surplus. There is no such concept in civ3. perhaps there should be.
Old December 11, 2002, 08:48   #19
Datajack Franit
NationStates
King

What about military units decreasing city population? Aside from draft
I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom
Old December 11, 2002, 12:12   #20
Trifna
King

Yeah, I know it can be a pain in the ass but this is why it should be arranged realistically: because in reality it's not SUCH a problem to civilizations.

I guess the best system would simply be to divide our population in some sort of task distribution (taking 20% for "state working"). I'm for the idea of eliminating completely the tedious worker unit and replace it by a % bar, task managing and what it'd need.

But by keeping the worker unit, it would mean to balance it well. Balance what? Well balancing the capacity of work done by a worker versus it's cost in food. I mean, it doesn't take 200 persons for a year to make a road. Have to balance to something realistic and the rest will do fine.
Old December 12, 2002, 04:45   #21
bongo
lifer
Emperor

Well you always have the public works model used in CTP. It makes terrain development less tedious but also removes worker capture as an military strategy.

Actually I'm quite happy with the current model.
Old December 12, 2002, 21:01   #22
Trifna
King

Worker capture should be implemented in another way. Like your units going somewhere and having it in option, like we can destroy improvements. Or you enter a city and get slaves, etc.
Old December 13, 2002, 04:45   #23
bongo
lifer
Emperor

Sounds almost like CTP to me.

How about just refining the current model a bit? Worker automation with a little twist? Make it possible to assign working ques to workers. Like 'I want roads on these tiles and when you're done with that I want a mine here and some irrigation over there. Oh and watch out for enemy units will you?'
Old December 13, 2002, 05:22   #24
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 13:54
Quote:
Actually, you can have city sizes well over a thousand. Someone at CFC discovered this cheat a while ago. Just add workers to the city in huge numbers, as you can only lose one pop point per turn.
AFAIK this isn't possible anymore, at least not in PTW where you can't ad workers when city is running a food deficit
Old December 13, 2002, 10:58   #25
Trifna
King

bongo: then I guess CTP had this better, but it doesn't mean it couldn't be improved in some way.
Old December 16, 2002, 05:07   #26
bongo
lifer
Emperor

CTP has a better tile improvement model than civ2, but so have civ3. CTP's model is perhaps better than civ3's but with some refining that would change things in favour of civ3.
Old December 16, 2002, 13:39   #27
Trifna
King

I never played it, but from what I know CTP seems to have good concepts sometimes applies as concepts may be applied when it's a first try... So lots of nice stuff could be adapted but it'd need some refining and a little rethinking and adjusting.
Old December 17, 2002, 03:18   #28
bongo
lifer
Emperor

In ctp you can devote a percentage of your production to public works. It works like a second treasury which only can be used for tile improvements. You could only build TI's within your own borders but building them would also expand your territory. Of the more interesting TI's were sonar bouyos and observation towers.
Old December 18, 2002, 08:20   #29
Mad Bomber
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Trifna
Worker capture should be implemented in another way. Like your units going somewhere and having it in option, like we can destroy improvements. Or you enter a city and get slaves, etc.

I would like to see universal Sufferage be a minor wonder and not be allowed to use workers as slaves after its built. Instead they would be sent to either POW or refugee camps inside the capturing civ's homeland. At the end of the war the workers would be repatriated to the former civ's owner. If the Civ is destroyed then they would be allowed to join a city and become citizens to be assimilated.
* There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.