Old April 24, 2000, 15:26   #31
Tiger13
Settler

Local Time: 01:43
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Well, I bought CTP for 20 bucks at Office Max and I couldn't wait to play it. I liked the new features and the graphics were awesome, but it was way too slow to play and it was clunky most of the time. Also no body played it online. So I bought the Strat. Guide for CTP for a wasted $15 and it didn't get any better. I had AOK too, (which is an awesome game for anyone who hasn't played it) so one weekend I went to a local software store and found SMAC for $20 and I bought it because of the SM namesake and it looked really cool. I am so glad I bought it and I have the Planetaryt Pack now and I am loving SMAC every minute of every day. Moral of the story is, CTP needs work, maybe CTP2 will be better and long live SMAC!
Old April 24, 2000, 15:31   #32
Tiger13
Settler

Well, maybe I was too harsh and they can both Co-exhist. Can you tell me where I can find some good mods that you guys talk about?

Hopefully you will install some mods and let CTP redeem itself.

Old April 24, 2000, 19:26   #33
Lord Sigma

Go to the CTP general thread and set it back to 100 days. Look for a thread titled "Which mods should I get? A newbie guide." Most of the mods are available right here on apolyton. The newest medieval mod and AAIP's are on WesW's website at http://community.planetdirect.com/se...49366194141043

Old April 26, 2000, 14:06   #34
cutlerd
Warlord

All of the CTP absurdities regarding pikemen shooting down spaceships are remedied by using the HISTORICAL UNIT STRENGTHS file that comes with CTP 1.1 and beyond. This historical file adds a FIREPOWER rating to units and pretty much makes modern units invincible from primitive units. I have played many CTP games and have never lost a tank to non-gunpowdered units using the historical mods.

And this mod file is so easy to understand and tweak that you can adjust unit values to whatever floats your boat.

What I most like about CTP (and I do like SMAC too BTW), is the plethora of non-combat units. It allows one to basically wage war without "waging war".
Old April 26, 2000, 14:33   #35
korn469
Emperor

Local Time: 20:43
Local Date: October 30, 2010
well i bought simcity3000 from software ect because my cousin made me mad then after playing it for three days i was physically ill with how BAD the game was...it was like the people at maxis had personally planned the game to upset me because it sucked so so so so hard!

well i took it back and i was ready to kill somebody if i hadn't been able to return the game, and when i returned it i got the last copy of SMAC which i am satisfied with...

simcity3000 was the top money making game of last year so somebody had to have liked it

my point is that each person will have their own preferrences and everybody is entitled to an opinion

korn469
Old April 29, 2000, 20:59   #36
vee4473
King

Local Time: 20:43
Korn,

You are exactly right. I am always amazed by people who feel the need to trash a game in a public way.

You are absolutely correct when you say that each person has their own preferences. If a person is playing a game, and they are enjoying themselves, isn't that all that matters? After all, who cares if someone in some other state or country thinks the game that they are enjoying is lacking in the graphics department or thinks that the game is boring or too hard??

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE hearing what people have to say about a game.

BUT when people start saying that someone is a dope or is stupid for liking a game, that is where I get annoyed.

I mean, if you go to a restaurant or diner with your best friend and you both order cheeseburgers, are you gonna get angry and confrontational with him/her if they order their burger rare and you like yours well-done??? NO!!! It's just a difference of opinion with regards to what makes you happy...

PERIOD!!!!!

If you enjoy a game, play it to your hearts content and don't be affected by what ANYONE has to say...because the reason you are playing a game is to escape, arouse your imagination and interests and relax for a little while. And if a game does that for you, GO NUTS WITH IT!!!!

That's my final word...

Old April 29, 2000, 21:06   #37
mikejohnson1

I'm playing CTP again after almost a year, and I'm loving it! Not as good as SMAC, but an enjoyable game nontheless.

Question: Is there any reason that this thread is still open?

------------------
MJ's Web Empire
MJ's Home Page.
Reviews site
Discussion Forum for Civ, college talk and general discussion.
Civilization Empire SMAC, Civ2, CTP.

Old April 29, 2000, 23:05   #38
Enigma
Prince

If you are truly friends with your friend you will not allow him to order his hamburger rare because it is dangerous
Old April 30, 2000, 05:28   #39
Depp
Prince

I loved CTP as well, i have distinct feeling that most of those that dislike it wanted civ 3 and got another game, with another interface etc, and therefore got dissapointed.
But it improved some areas and regressed in some areas, let´s just see if CTP 2 can redeem that...
Old May 3, 2000, 00:58   #40
MidKnight Lament
King

Local Time: 11:43
I still play CTP after a year, too... without any mods yet. And I've gleaned plenty of enjoyment out of it.

I'm sure I'll enjoy SMAC now that I finally went out and got it, but I've got no regrets about buying CTP. And there's not a chance I'll be curbing my like of CTP just because I'll be posting in the SMAC forums now as well. Sounds like I'll be part of a vast minority though.

- MKL
[This message has been edited by MidKnight Lament (edited May 03, 2000).]
Old May 3, 2000, 03:09   #41
Vi Vicdi
Prince

Local Time: 19:43
I've just finished my modpack for The Sims. It's called the Sim Arena.

Basically you train your Sims in the Arena then download them into your Palm Pilot so they can battle other Sims.

My next project will be the Pokemon hot tub ...

(No, I haven't played either one, so don't go thinking I'm completely tasteless ...)
Old May 20, 2000, 19:48   #42
Leonidas
King

Chowlett:

PC Gamer gave SMAC a rating of 98% not 91% (their highest rating EVER for a computer game

The Planetary Pack is awesome. I'm just new to this game - but I find Civ II (with modpacks and user scenarios) and SMAC to be very fun and addictive. I cannot imagine how CivIII could possibly be bad. Since B. Reynolds left, Sid himself is working on Civ III - if this game is good - Sid will be able to buy himself his own island with the money he made - I think everyone is waiting for it - so he'll take his time and do it right After all Civ is his flagship game, his "baby" shall we say - and I can't imagine him releasing it until it's perfect

------------------
Go tell the Spartans, passerby:
That here, obedient to their laws, we lie.