Old December 3, 2002, 00:09   #31
Darius871
Civilization II PBEM
Emperor

Local Time: 06:57
Local Date: November 1, 2010
No... I haven't once and I wouldn't either. What, would I write 'just topping this thread' every day until it's been repeated 100 times?
Old December 3, 2002, 00:53   #32
Choke
Prince

Local Time: 03:57
No, I didn't mean that, I just meant once a week or something you probably would so that it's visible.
Old December 3, 2002, 00:56   #33
Darius871
Civilization II PBEM
Emperor

Nope, didn't even come to mind.
Old December 3, 2002, 01:05   #34
Choke
Prince

Huh, in most forums it's comon practice to do that to threads you want to stay at the top, like bumping.
Old December 3, 2002, 01:07   #35
St Leo
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 07:57
Choke, Darius, go play a 1-on-1 PBEM game.

I, for one, don't agree with topping this thread. It's far from the concensus of the community that this is a good idea.

Whatever. It's not as if I'd bother reading it or something.
Old December 3, 2002, 01:10   #36
Darius871
Civilization II PBEM
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Choke
Huh, in most forums it's comon practice to do that to threads you want to stay at the top, like bumping.
Yeah, but that'd just be tacky. Even worse it would just clutter up the thread, kinda like this conversation.
Old December 3, 2002, 01:37   #37
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

i've never even heard of most of the players that got caught cheating, and I used to think I kept up with quite a few of the pbems, not anymore.

ScotF got caught cheating? what a shame, i really liked his Turtledove scenario
Old December 3, 2002, 01:38   #38
Choke
Prince

Yeah
Old December 3, 2002, 01:42   #39
Choke
Prince

I guess
Old December 3, 2002, 01:44   #40
Darius871
Civilization II PBEM
Emperor

Moderator? Oh moderator?!?
Old December 3, 2002, 02:09   #41
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

use the other thread that is for discussion guys
http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=69623
Old December 3, 2002, 02:12   #42
Choke
Prince

you're right
Old December 3, 2002, 06:40   #43
conmcb25
inmate
Civilization III Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization II Succession GamesPtWDG2 MonkeyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliScenario League / Civ2-CreationAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG3 MorganApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization II MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPolyCast TeamCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Deity

ST Leo

I would appreciate it if all the posts other than ontopic ones where moved from the Cheater list to here. Mine included. Thanks!

Case

Yes a witch hunt would be great! I want to start with all the annoying and aggravating people who have posted in this thread and threadjacked in the other thread.!
Old December 3, 2002, 11:14   #44
Darius871
Civilization II PBEM
Emperor

Come on guys, saying stuff like that plays right into the hands of the people who have some sort of kneejerk reaction of paranioa toward the list. I just want to get the facts out, no witch hunts!
Old December 3, 2002, 11:25   #45
conmcb25
inmate
Civilization III Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization II Succession GamesPtWDG2 MonkeyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliScenario League / Civ2-CreationAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG3 MorganApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization II MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPolyCast TeamCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Darius871
Come on guys, saying stuff like that plays right into the hands of the people who have some sort of kneejerk reaction of paranioa toward the list. I just want to get the facts out, no witch hunts!
Sorry Darius, Case and I were in the mood for a witch hunt, you know burning people at the stake and stuff, heck we havent done that in the states for 400 years, we are overdue, but I promise to shut up about it, you are correct. My apologizes.
Old December 3, 2002, 13:14   #46
Choke
Prince

One word: McCarthy.
Old December 3, 2002, 17:42   #47
Case
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 21:57
So I take it that you're a communist Choke?

'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon
Old December 3, 2002, 17:48   #48
conmcb25
inmate
Deity

Case no more talking about the witch hunt! Too mnay paranoid schitzophrenics! Ill email you about the next step.......
Old December 3, 2002, 17:56   #49
Darius871
Civilization II PBEM
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Choke
One word: McCarthy.
See, this is exactly what I'm talking about, somehow for some people that comes to mind, what, just because of the word blacklist? I used that particular word in capitals mainly as a joke.

Anyway, it makes no sense; the essence of McCarthyism is unsubstantiated accusations being accepted as fact, as was the case New England witch hunts as well. Therefore these things have no bearing whatsoever on the blacklist because everyone on the list has been proven with absolute certainty to have cheated.

If this were in any way McCarthyistic then I would have accused numerous people who I didn't like and ruined their reputation, but I didn't, did I? There are a few people I can think of who I and others are convinced have cheated, but since it has not been thoroughly confirmed I did not mention them for the specific reason of keeping this civil. So much for gratitude.

Last edited by Darius871; December 3, 2002 at 18:04.
Old December 3, 2002, 18:03   #50
conmcb25
inmate
Deity

Hear Hear Darius, Thank you! It is simple, if they cheated and its is proved it goes on theCheater Thread. Paranoid people either cheat or need Psych help or both. And the witch hunt is a joke, really.
Old December 3, 2002, 19:34   #51
St Leo

The thread has been restickied. The ways of destickying it include:
a) dissuading Darius from his scheme
b) getting Techumseh or Ming to whack me over the head with a clue-by-four
Old December 3, 2002, 19:47   #52
H Tower

i think B has a chance, A on the other hand seems to have absolutely no chance
Old December 3, 2002, 19:48   #53
Darius871
Civilization II PBEM
Emperor

Just out of curiousity Leon, what is a 'coven'? I can't find it in even a 2000-page dictionary.
Old December 3, 2002, 19:53   #54
Darius871
Civilization II PBEM
Emperor

Quote:
a) dissuading Darius from his scheme
Quote:
A on the other hand seems to have absolutely no chance
It is slightly possible if someone gives me one truly negative effect of listing known cheaters that is important enough to not have a list.
Old December 3, 2002, 19:53   #55
conmcb25
inmate
Deity

Quote:
Just out of curiousity Leon, what is a 'coven'? I can't find it in even a 2000-page dictionary.
Darius, Hush, no more clues about Case and I!
Old December 3, 2002, 20:07   #56
conmcb25
inmate
Deity

Quote:
It is slightly possible if someone gives me one truly negative effect of listing known cheaters that is important enough to not have a list.
A possible lawsuit. And dont laugh a lot of people have been sued for a heck of a lot less.

And I am a firm supporter of your thread Darius, as a matter of fact I voted for Capital punishment in the other thread on people who replay turns.
Old December 3, 2002, 20:10   #57
Darius871
Civilization II PBEM
Emperor

I heard this before, but on what grounds could one possibly sue? Slander?
Old December 3, 2002, 20:19   #58
St Leo

Coven

The difference between what we are doing and the historical parallels people are making is that we are practising full disclosure. If you get on the list, you don't find it out when your baker refuses to sell you bread or something.

The list is always on display; it's not the exclusive prerogative of nefarious grey eminences. There'd be cause to complain if the thread was in the mod forum and I was secretly banning people suspected of cheating. That hasn't happenned, it's not happenning, and it's not going to happen.
Old December 3, 2002, 20:25   #59
Darius871
Civilization II PBEM
Emperor

Old December 3, 2002, 21:52   #60
Choke
Prince

Umm, Con said this:

"Sorry Darius, Case and I were in the mood for a witch hunt, you know burning people at the stake and stuff, heck we havent done that in the states for 400 years"

I just meant that McCarthy's witch hunts happened more recently, I am NOT a pinko and I wasn't saying the blacklist is in anyway a witch-hunt. Man, talk about a misunderstanding.