Old December 3, 2002, 05:12   #1
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 13:58
Local Date: November 1, 2010
ELECTION: Court Nominations
I haven't been following this game in a while because I'm *extremely* busy with real-life stuff, but Pedrunn tells me it's time to start elections for Court members.

See here for the latest version of the draft for the Court article of the Constitution, which lays down the details of how the Court works. Note that this article is not final yet, so (minor) changes may still occur.

As the article on elections reads, there has to be a period of 2 days in which people can announce their candidacy for positions which are open for elections:
Quote:
(e) At the start of the election process, all citizens who wish to be candidates for an office must publicly express their candidacy. For this they have two days. No citizen may be a candidate for an elected office if such candidacy might cause this citizen to be in more than one elected office simultaneously.
This is not final either and because this is the very first time we're having elections and because it's for 3 different Court positions (where normally all Court positions are identical), I suggest we give everyone 3 days to announce their candidacy for a Court position. After 3 days I will post the actual election threads (unless I get a lot of feedback that people disagree).

As I said, there are 3 different Court positions for the start of this Democracy game. Normally all Judge positions are identical but because we normally only have one Judge election per month, the start of the game has to be a little different. The 3 positions currently open for nomination are:

(1) A one-month term as Senior Justice
(2) A two-month term; the first month as regular Judge, the second as Senior Justice
(3) A regular three-month term; the first two months as regular Judge, the last as Senior Justice

In this thread you can announce your candidacy for as many or as few of these positions as you like. Once the nomination period is over, the actual election polls we be posted. Ideas on how to do this are welcome, feel free to post them here (I'm still busy so I won't be following all other threads). Pedrunn suggested to do these one-by-one:
Quote:
First the Senior Judge, then the other two judge. One after the other and not at the same time.
This would take 3 + 3 * 5 = 18 days, too long IMHO. I myself suggest we post all 3 at the same time. This means some people will be in several polls. If they win in more than one poll, they simply have to pick one position they like and give the other position to the runner-up in the other poll(s).

List of candidates so far:
(1) mapfi, H Tower
(2) mapfi, H Tower
(3) Gilgamensch, H Tower

Last edited by Locutus; December 4, 2002 at 07:40.
Old December 3, 2002, 06:13   #2
Gilgamensch
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code Project
King

Local Time: 12:58
Hi Locutus,

good to see you back in the land of Cyber..........

First I must admit, that I would like to see you as the first Senior-judge. So that we would only need to vote on the two other positions.
Reason being: As you would be our mod and Senior judge, it would be easier for thread handling and whatever.

This would also leave only two positions open to be voted for, which we could handle with an easy multiple choice poll wher we could have another run-off poll afterwards, deciding then just by the number of votes, unless seombody explained (beforehand) that he wants to run for positision XXXX only. Would also cut down the number of days to 3 + 2*5 = 13 days, just two weeks.

I am thinking of running for position (3), but I am not 100% sure (if I have enough time to dedicate to our DG).

PS: Get a REAL CYBER-live
Old December 3, 2002, 09:55   #3
mapfi
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power II Multiplayer
Prince

I'm in for either position 1 or 2. I'd prefer Locutus as Senior Judge too, though.
Old December 3, 2002, 11:20   #4
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

I thought people wanted me as Prez - I can't be both so better make up your mind now

Gilgamensch,
Well, I'm not quite back, will be dropping in from time to time but that's it, at least for the next week or so - my life's a big mess right now... Spent a little more time on 'poly than was good for me in the past few months

You'll have to make up your mind about signing up for position (3), a 'maybe' won't do in this thread. You have 'til Friday morning to decide...
Old December 3, 2002, 11:40   #5
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

Local Time: 06:58
I desire to be a judge, and I have no qualms about starting at the bottom, but it would be cool to be the first senior judge I don't see why Locutus needs to be either the first judge or the first president.

I announce my candidacy for all 3 positions I have a question though, if I somehow manage to win more than two of the polls, do I get to choose? Or do I get put automatically in the shorter/longer term?
Old December 3, 2002, 12:05   #6
Pedrunn
Call to Power II Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 08:58
I think the winner should choose.
-Jean Rostand
Old December 3, 2002, 13:18   #7
J Bytheway
Call to Power PBEMCall to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Emperor

I think that earlier polls should take priority. i.e. take winner of (1), and exclude him from the other two,then take winner of (2), exclude from (3).
Old December 4, 2002, 02:15   #8
Gilgamensch
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code Project
King

OK Locutus, I made up my mind. Put me on.

Where are snow-smilies?????????????

Looks
Old December 4, 2002, 07:34   #9
Pedrunn
King

Locutus, you should annouce that the election for judges has started in the news item
-Jean Rostand
Old December 4, 2002, 15:40   #10
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

not a lot of interest in being a judge unfortunately, (or should thatbe fortunately? )

hopefully people will run for cabinet postions
Old December 5, 2002, 08:14   #11
Gilgamensch
King

At least it will be an easy poll.

When is the nomination closing?
But most people visit here anyway weekdays!

And NO, no news item, otherwise to many choices
Old December 5, 2002, 15:34   #12
H Tower

perhaps the three candidates can find some way to concede in contested races leaving each member with a post, that way we can start the game sooner

EDIT:nevermind, we'd still have to have an election anyways to make it a democratic decision
Old December 5, 2002, 23:56   #13
Frozzy
PtWDG2 SunshineNationStatesCall To Power SuperLeague
Emperor

Local Time: 23:58
EDIT: Now running for all

Last edited by Frozzy; December 6, 2002 at 03:27.
Old December 6, 2002, 02:49   #14
Gilgamensch
King

H Tower,

we were too late, redbull made it hard again

Come on redbull, re-think your position
Old December 6, 2002, 03:25   #15
Frozzy
PtWDG2 SunshineNationStatesCall To Power SuperLeague
Emperor

Local Time: 23:58
Don't like that? I'll run for them all then
Old December 6, 2002, 03:34   #16
Gilgamensch
King

NOOOOOOOOOOO,

that's not what I was talking about...................

But nevermind, you created the mess, no you have to live with the blame
Old December 6, 2002, 04:10   #17
Pedrunn
King

-Jean Rostand
Old December 6, 2002, 04:36   #18
Gilgamensch
King

Pedrunn,

don't laugh, I was absolutly serious

We need smebody to blame
Old December 6, 2002, 08:16   #19
Locutus
Deity

Okay, the nomination period is over. This thread will be closed and untopped in a few moments and the election polls will be posted.

Final list of candidates:
(1) mapfi, H Tower, redbull
(2) mapfi, H Tower, redbull
(3) Gilgamensch, H Tower, redbull