mrboo123
Rise of Nations MultiplayerC4DG VoxCiv4 SP Democracy GameNationStates
King

Local Time: 06:01
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I was more proud than sraced...
Old December 8, 2002, 13:55   #32
War4ever
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 04:01
i am not the president yet....... nor on the cabinet , so i couldnt' tell you...but i would imgaine there is a diffferent sense of excitement, for you truly are leading the people
Old December 11, 2002, 00:38   #33
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

Local Time: 07:01
was anyone new appointed to the cabinet to fill trade or city planner? i'm working on the index right now and can't figure out who, if anyone was appointed
Old December 11, 2002, 01:00   #34
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

I thought cavebear said he'd take over the city planner position.
Old December 11, 2002, 01:28   #35
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

he's president now
Old December 11, 2002, 08:46   #36
cavebear
Civilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

I had agreed to act as DE's City-Planner while VP, but things have changed. If anyone is interested in volunteering to be City-Planner or Trade Minister, I would be pleased to hear from them...

Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul
Old December 11, 2002, 13:31   #37
Earwicker
Civilization II Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
Prince

Cavebear -

I can volunteer to combine the roles of Expansion Minister and Trade Minister, if that works for everybody. At this point in the game, continued expansion will be relatively minimal and geared toward strategic purposes - for military operations and safe harbors for caravan transports.

Hopefully I'll get the sav tonight and will look at it for things we need to consider.

Earwicker.
Old December 11, 2002, 20:03   #38
cavebear
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Earwicker
Cavebear -

I can volunteer to combine the roles of Expansion Minister and Trade Minister, if that works for everybody. At this point in the game, continued expansion will be relatively minimal and geared toward strategic purposes - for military operations and safe harbors for caravan transports.

Hopefully I'll get the sav tonight and will look at it for things we need to consider.

Earwicker.
I've emailed you the 1800 AD game file. And I happily accept your offer to serve as Trade Minister. Thank you.

Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
Old December 11, 2002, 21:39   #39
CannonFodder
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontMac
Prince

Once exams are over on the 17th I may be able to contribute to a needed post (City Planner).
Former Imperial Expansion Minister of the first Civ2 Democracy Game
Old December 11, 2002, 22:58   #40
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Again- I believe I volunteered for a spot after the 16th. I'll take whatever no one else wants.
Old December 11, 2002, 23:13   #41
War4ever
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Cavebear, have you had time to make some decisions yet?
Old December 12, 2002, 08:49   #42
cavebear
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by War4ever
Cavebear, have you had time to make some decisions yet?
What kind of decisions?
Old December 13, 2002, 16:58   #43
War4ever
Emperor

game turns, elections , etc..... i am still a bit in the dark as to how this game fully functions, is there a faq..so i dont' have to ask stupid questions

and how does one run for election for the presidency ?

There have been too many doves in power
Old December 13, 2002, 18:36   #44
CannonFodder
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontMac
Prince

Some of the information about how the game works is in the topped Index of New Apolytonia. Some of those rules are not entirely up to date, and don't match the de facto ones. But it's a start, nonetheless.
Old December 13, 2002, 19:59   #45
cavebear
Emperor

A brief de facto description:

The Cabinet is elected for 1-month terms. Citizens self-nominate when the VP posts a Nominations thread, about the 22nd or 23rd of the month. After several days of nominations, the VP posts election polls of all the announced candidates (which includes a "banana" option). The polls last another 3 days, timed for conclusion by the last day of the month. Candidates must get a majority of the votes. If a runoff is required, the banana is not included. The Presidential runner-up is VP.

The Minister positions are pretty much self explanatory. Trade, War, Science, Foreign, City-Planner, and Imperial Expansion. For those last two, City-Planner manages existing cities; Expansion suggests locations for new cities. The Ministers post polls for various options within their area. The President plays the actual sessions (usually 6-8 turns) based on the reports of poll results and personal recommendations of each Minister. Citizens do not normally post polls (they can for good reason, but it is very rare).

The President is expected to implement the recommendations of the Ministers, keep (and post) a year-by-year log of events, post screenshots of the end-of-session game year, and send the Ministers the end-of-session game file.

This particular game is a "representative government, Alpha Centauri victory" game. The previous one was a "Communist, Military victory", and we didn't want to just play the same game. So, this time, we are maintaining a firm defensive posture, placing some cities aggressively (but peacefully), progressing through trade routes, and hope to be in a position to build a SS before the end.

We had a difficult start (not a really good initial position), worked our way back to the top of the charts, built a trading republic, tried out the "Key Civ" idea, and went through a very successful WLTPD period after we became a democracy. We are now looking to improve our production, wealth, and technology base in order to get to SS capability.

One of the great benefits of our game is having everyone chip in with the secrets they have learned. Some know more about trade routes, some know more about maintaining happy citizens, some know other things. It's been a great learning experience.

We have 35 Citizens. Some are politically active, some are active in the threads, some few just vote in polls (I think), and some seem to be happy observers. A good functional Civ needs each kind.
Old December 13, 2002, 22:58   #46
War4ever
Emperor

well its a brilliant idea.......wish we had thought of this 4 years ago.......so i will keep voting , offereing opinions...etc...and make myself known

thanks for the explanations guys , :b
Old December 14, 2002, 01:39   #47
H Tower

Quote:
Originally posted by CannonFodder
Some of the information about how the game works is in the topped Index of New Apolytonia. Some of those rules are not entirely up to date, and don't match the de facto ones. But it's a start, nonetheless.
what's not updated or wrong? I need comments so I can fix the list!
Old December 16, 2002, 04:21   #48
CannonFodder
Prince

I'm planning on making a more descriptive list which you can use, but I don't really have much time right now. I don't know if anything is actually wrong, but I haven't looked at it for a while.
Old December 18, 2002, 23:37   #49
War4ever
Emperor

when wil lthe electoral process happen for january....with christmas coming i imagine people will be busy
Old December 19, 2002, 00:06   #50
Xenozod
Civilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II PBEM
Warlord

Why vice-pres, cavebear? Last time I was here, it was all mighty Comrade cavebear, president of Apolyton's greatest communist country!!!
Old December 19, 2002, 08:34   #51
mrboo123
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Xenozod
Why vice-pres, cavebear? Last time I was here, it was all mighty Comrade cavebear, president of Apolyton's greatest communist country!!!
Well, because were going for a space win, and hes the pres. now (after DE rieted)
Old December 19, 2002, 08:35   #52
cavebear
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Xenozod
Well OK, just for you, I'm taking over as President for the rest of this month!
Old December 19, 2002, 08:39   #53
cavebear
Emperor

Quote:
when wil lthe electoral process happen for january....with christmas coming i imagine people will be busy
I'll post the nominations thread Sunday 22nd and the election polls Friday 27th.

Old December 19, 2002, 17:19   #54
War4ever
Emperor

ok, thanks carebear..... how many turns does one get in a month? as many as one can make? or is it a set thing?
Old December 19, 2002, 19:37   #55
cavebear
Emperor

Quote:
ok, thanks carebear..... how many turns does one get in a month? as many as one can make? or is it a set thing?
The number of sessions the President plays per month varies. Sometimes runoff elections delay things, sometimes polls are posted faster or slower than average, sometimes when all the reports are recieved it isn't a convenient evening to play (real life obligations). It's generally 4 or 5 sessions per month. And a individual session usually spans 6 to 8 game turns. It's important not to play beyond the applicability of the recommendations of the Citizens/Ministers.

Old December 19, 2002, 20:38   #56
War4ever
Emperor

right ...that makes perfect sense....... i was just curious in the beginning if the presidents played more than 500 years at a time etc.....

btw how does one incorporate the story in to the equation? ie your reign now is realistic...but your reign for 500 years isn't unless all the cavebears kept the line of succession going?

by the way, just noticed i called you Carebear/....sorry about that
Old December 19, 2002, 22:40   #57
cavebear
Emperor

Quote:
right ...that makes perfect sense....... i was just curious in the beginning if the presidents played more than 500 years at a time etc.....
Since the years-per-turn compress as the game goes on, there is no particular connection between years and sessions.

Quote:
btw how does one incorporate the story in to the equation? ie your reign now is realistic...but your reign for 500 years isn't unless all the cavebears kept the line of succession going?
We kind of ignore the actual yeasr passing. But, IIRC, there were some allowances made to the long years of reign in the histories of the previous game. I think it was assumed there were dynasties of rulers in the early years rather than individual rulers as in the later years.

Quote:
by the way, just noticed i called you Carebear/....sorry about that
No problem. I assumed it was a "cute" or a typo. And I've seen it before used deliberately. Don't worry about it; I'll just hunt you down and unplug your refrigerator so that all of your beer gets warm.
Old December 19, 2002, 23:10   #58
War4ever
Emperor

Dynasties in the early game make perfect sense....if something unique happens, a wonder and such , i suppose the individual leader could be recognized, but his dynasty is enough for the storyline.

and leave my beer alone
Old December 20, 2002, 05:55   #59
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

War-
Do I count as a dove?

I'd rather be in a Fundy steamrolling over these pathetic AI civs.

I'd love to with you, but the people frown upon
those who circumvent the democratic process.

Right John?
Old December 20, 2002, 08:30   #60
mrboo123
King

Quote:
Originally posted by obiwan18
War-
Do I count as a dove?

I'd rather be in a Fundy steamrolling over these pathetic AI civs.

I'd love to with you, but the people frown upon
those who circumvent the democratic process.

Right John?
Yup...