View Poll Results: What is your opinion on the cheaters list?
It's a good thing, keep it up 10 47.62%
It's a bad thing, dump it 6 28.57%
It's a bad thing, but not worth dumping 0 0%
Free Willy 3 14.29%
Don't care 0 0%
Don't care, but sick of all the whining so dump it 2 9.52%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 4, 2002, 22:25   #31
0hwell
Chieftain

Local Time: 12:02
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Now now gentlemen, lets be civil
Old December 4, 2002, 22:43   #32
conmcb25
inmate
Civilization III Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization II Succession GamesPtWDG2 MonkeyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliScenario League / Civ2-CreationAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG3 MorganApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization II MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPolyCast TeamCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Deity

Local Time: 08:02
Quote:
Originally posted by 0hwell
Now now gentlemen, lets be civil
Easier said then done on this thread
Old December 4, 2002, 22:49   #33
conmcb25
inmate
Civilization III Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization II Succession GamesPtWDG2 MonkeyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliScenario League / Civ2-CreationAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG3 MorganApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization II MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPolyCast TeamCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Darius871
Don't turn me into some sort of ringleader here Steve; I'm not too thrilled about this either. People brought up the idea of listing cheaters, I and a few people thought it was a good idea, and I made the thread because no one else had the balls to. I'm not passionate about it at all and frankly I don't care if it gets deleted because people make WAY too big a deal out of it, on BOTH sides.
No not the Ringleader if that is what my post insinuated, then I worded it incorrectly. More like we are glad you are the one that had the guts to post the thread. For that we are thankfull! And from the poll I still believe there is a want and a need for the thread, because despite being accussed of being a fascist, Im not, and I think we can within reason meet the needs of the PBEM community.

Hmmm slander, maybe that legal issue will come up again.............
Old December 5, 2002, 00:23   #34
Choke
Prince

Local Time: 04:02
I'm going to take Ohwell's advice, I have always considered it the height of civility to be honest and in that spirit I have made this picture dedicated to Chris 62.

The bunny thinks you should shut up too.

Last edited by Choke; December 5, 2002 at 00:41.
Old December 5, 2002, 00:33   #35
Case
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 22:02
*waves goodbye to Choke as he's put on the train to Mingapulco*
'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon
Old December 5, 2002, 00:34   #36
Darius871
Civilization II PBEM
Emperor

Local Time: 07:02
Agh it was worth it
Old December 5, 2002, 00:36   #37
Choke
Prince

I hope he doesn't ban me but if he does sometimes a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.
Old December 5, 2002, 00:42   #38
Case
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

edit: the cranky soldier has been replaced by a cute bunny.
'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
Old December 5, 2002, 00:45   #39
Case
Emperor

While that bunny lacks the punch of your earlier effort, I don't see you getting banned for it
Old December 5, 2002, 00:46   #40
Choke
Prince

I will find a middle ground .
Old December 5, 2002, 04:49   #41
Pap1723
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red Front
Prince

Local Time: 06:02
At least some of us got to see the original picture.

Pap
Old December 5, 2002, 09:32   #42
conmcb25
inmate
Deity

I vote for the bunny, goes well with the Santa Smiley's!
And it is in the spirit of not taking ourselves too seriously which seems to be a problem amongst the chosen few.
Old December 5, 2002, 11:19   #43
Chris 62
Spanish CiversCivilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Case
No offence Chris, but this isn't the CFC OT Forum.
Really?
Are you getting help with these answers?
For your edifacation, I was posting at poly A LONG time before I took a staff postion at CFC.
Quote:
Just about everbody who posts or reads this board is sencible, sane and over 18.
Wow, your overwhelming wit is amazing.
BTW, your little jibe is proved wrong by friend Choke.

Quote:
No-one is going to be falsely added to 'the list' for the simple reason that anybody who falsely accuses someone of cheating and refuses to drop the claim is going to end up as a pariah themselves.
Bad form is bad form.
Unneeded and low class.
It says alot about some people's characters that they find nothing wrong with it.

Quote:
Pehaps a comprimise position would be for the thread to be locked and only Mods be able to add to 'the list'. This would ensure that the thread doesn't decend into malicious claims or a spam-fest.
When people cheat, it becomes knowm.
This "scarlet letter" stuff is a dis-service to the entire gaming community.

Quote:
This needs to be put bluntly:

Chris, you're in the minority and no one cares what you think, shut up.
Choke, to put this bluntly:
Your a nobody, and I will continue to make an issue of this untill this bull is stopped.
Old December 5, 2002, 11:34   #44
Chris 62
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by conmcb25
Wow! I guess I have been put in my place!
Only if you feel you needed to be.

Quote:
Chris I appreciate your opinions but I dont agree with them. Simple as that so let agree at least to disagree. And Im not ramming anything down anyones throat. If you dont like it you dont have to read it simple as that, but there are folks out there who want this and will use this and with the poll I can with some assurance state that as a fact.
A poll with a tiny responce is now the arbiter of policy?
I don't have to read white supremist hate nor other such drival, do I say "I don't need to read that", and move on?
There are valid reasons why certain things aern't permitted.
Quote:
Not sure where the lighten up statement comes from, I dont think I did anything to attack you or your opinion, and Ill say that again, opinion here.
It's a direct answer to you saying the same to me.
I'm not overly upset , but this is wrong.

Quote:
If you and the more mature players believe it is a fact thats fine but in my world it is your opinion. That goes for the other mature players you refer to as well. BTW check my birthday.
I have seen your profile, and if you are incredulous, ask in the MP forum.
Start with Ming and RAH.

Quote:
Im done and Im not responding to you on this issue anymore because I can tell it is a sore spot with you, and ST Leo would probally appreciate that from me as well.
I don't like people who try to set up little fifedoms of self importance, and the "Look, I caught a cheater" type thread is EXACTLY this.
Has any of those listed attempted to enter games here?
A single one?

Quote:
If I offended you in any way I apologize, because that was not the intent, but Im not just going to sit here and be attacked for my opinions.
The same holds true from my point of view.

The conversation can remain above board, it's people like Choke that bring it down, a typical childish attempt on his part.

Case also disapointed me with his post, when I am here, I'm an Apolyton poster, what I do on other sites is NOT CONNECTED to here.
His inference that the forum I moderate is made up of children is redicuolus, and he knows it, having posted there.
It's those kind of posts that turn this matter ugly.

Also, I won't back off this.
Old December 5, 2002, 14:11   #45
Darius871
Civilization II PBEM
Emperor

Quote:
Has any of those listed attempted to enter games here?
Um, YES, so don't use that pompous, elitist tone of yours on something you know nothing about. How very fortunate that Case happened to have been in the game where he cheated and that he just happened to be reading that thread. If there were a list we wouldn't have to pray for such 'coincidences'. There are several other examples in the past where the list could have proven useful.

Quote:
Your a nobody, and I will continue to make an issue of this untill this bull is stopped.

Also, I won't back off this.
Feel free to continue; many of us have already decided not to dignify you with response. Your namecalling and simplistic 'it's wrong, period' argument are wasting our time.

Last edited by Darius871; December 5, 2002 at 14:19.
Old December 5, 2002, 14:39   #46
Pap1723
Prince

Quote:
Bad form is bad form.
How bad of form is cheating?

Enough said there. There would be no list needed if people did not find the need to cheat. I don't play Civ II because I am getting paid to do it, I play to have fun. The PBEM's are a lot of fun for me, but the one I was in where cheating happened ruined the whole game.

So don't talk about bad form by listing the CHEATERS.

Pap
Old December 5, 2002, 14:42   #47
Pap1723
Prince

Oh, and who are you to be calling somebody a nobody?

Just because you have been around longer than Choke, me, whoever else, anyone who decides to come here and post is doing so to have a good time. I never knew there was a Caste system in place here.

Pap
Old December 5, 2002, 14:43   #48
conmcb25
inmate
Deity

Choke

(laugh, gag, laugh)

I just saw the original picture! It is hilarious, but Im afraid the group is right, it aint worth getting banned over.

But Boy oh Boy it was a riot!

Old December 5, 2002, 16:19   #49
Chris 62
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Darius871
Um, YES, so don't use that pompous, elitist tone of yours on something you know nothing about.
If anybody is pompous, it's been you guys.
Quote:
How very fortunate that Case happened to have been in the game where he cheated and that he just happened to be reading that thread.
You just proved WHY no such list is needed, someone would notice.
Quote:
If there were a list we wouldn't have to pray for such 'coincidences'.
You think that list will stop it?
Quote:
There are several other examples in the past where the list could have proven useful.
Bull.

Quote:
Feel free to continue; many of us have already decided not to dignify you with response.
No, you have shown me your closed minded, you didn't like what I said, so you all jumped on it.
I notice there only seems to be the same 5 of you who really want this.
Quote:
Your namecalling and simplistic 'it's wrong, period' argument are wasting our time.
Your wasting mine, it's time this matter went to a higher authority.
Old December 5, 2002, 16:29   #50
Chris 62
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Pap1723
How bad of form is cheating?
It will become known, that list won't prevent it, it will just show how petty people can be.

Quote:
Enough said there. There would be no list needed if people did not find the need to cheat.
I don't believe such a thread will prevent it.
Quote:
I don't play Civ II because I am getting paid to do it, I play to have fun. The PBEM's are a lot of fun for me, but the one I was in where cheating happened ruined the whole game.
I agree, cheating is terrible, but so is having a stuck thread like that.

Quote:
So don't talk about bad form by listing the CHEATERS.
Still doesn't make it right.

Quote:
Oh, and who are you to be calling somebody a nobody?
Who is he to say shut and my opinion doesn't matter?
You insult, you get it back.

And if you want a real thread about what ruins a PBEM game, how about people who don't play turns?
YOU did that to a game once Pap.

Quote:
Just because you have been around longer than Choke, me, whoever else, anyone who decides to come here and post is doing so to have a good time. I never knew there was a Caste system in place here.
I see, so if I post a contray opinion, it's alright to jump on me, insult me, tell me to shut up, insult the site I moderate, but if I respond, we have a "cast" system.

Get real Pap.
Old December 5, 2002, 16:37   #51
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Quote:
Originally posted by St Leo
For the moment, I'd prefer it if both sides would shut up.
I guess nobody bothers to listen to the moderator of this forum

And the decision of whether the thread will be in this forum or not is up to St Leo, and not subject to some vote. For those that haven't heard it before... This isn't a Democracy

And last but not least... Would everybody just chill and stop making personal attacks. Everybody is welcome to their own opinion on the subject... and as always at Apolyton... you are free to attack somebodies position on issues... BUT YOU AREN'T ALLOWED TO ATTACK THE INDIVIDUAL.

I'll leave it to the mod of this forum to take any action he sees fit for stuff posted here... But if people don't stop the personal crap, and St Leo isn't around...
Old December 5, 2002, 18:02   #52
St Leo
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame

But if people don't stop the personal crap, and St Leo isn't around...

1. I was just mulling things over.

2. Darius gets to keep and maintain the list. If you have additional concerns about that, please PM me.

3. Choke and Chris, please relax. You guys are skating close to the edge. I don't care whose fault it is because I've been following this thread from the very beginning and haven't been able to figure that out. No, I don't need help figuring that out. Just stop.

4. BTW, I have zero tolerance policy on making two posts in a row. It's the only kind of spamming that can be quanitified.