View Poll Results: Who is the Biggest Pushover?
Zulu 6 12.00%
Aztecs 1 2.00%
Iroqouis 0 0%
England 17 34.00%
America 1 2.00%
Babylon 2 4.00%
Greece 0 0%
Rome 3 6.00%
China 0 0%
Egypt 0 0%
Russia 1 2.00%
Japan 1 2.00%
India 12 24.00%
French 6 12.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 4, 2002, 03:05   #1
Mad Bomber
King

Local Time: 08:02
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Who are the Wimps of CIV3?
We all know that the Persians and the Germans are a royal pain but who do you find to be a bit of a pushover in CIV 3?

I have 3 CIVs that I really do not fear at all:

The Zulu:

UU is a 1.2.2 Nice if you are defending against a hoard but not exactly the stuff to send a shiver in my back and quaking in my boots. The expansionist trait reduces the UU's only strong trait and the military trait is lost on a defensive UU.

The Aztec's:

I have heard of the mighty Jag Warrior rush and in MP it might catch the unaware builder off guard but in the hands of the AI the UU is complete garbage. Again the CIV traits do nothing to enhance this civ's UU. Also as an American flagged CIV you can be sure you will start off with Jungle nearby.

The English:

Probably have the worst UU in the game and their traits are Commercial and iExpansionist. One is useful early in the game and the other does not shine until the industrial age, but usually they are wiped out by other civ's by then.

I have omited the Germans and the Persians from the poll, but if you wish you can list reasons why these civ's are pushovers as well. Also if you have any from PTW please include them as well.
* There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.
Old December 4, 2002, 03:32   #2
The Pioneer
Prince

Local Time: 13:02
I have no problem with the Germans or the Persians. I dislike the Zulus for some reason they seem to be bullying me all the time. Depending on the level I play that may be scary or funny !

So long...
Old December 4, 2002, 05:06   #3
statusperfect
King

Local Time: 14:02
American flagged civs don't automatically start in jungle.
Old December 4, 2002, 10:30   #4
Mad Bomber
King

No its not automatic but they do get way more jungle starts than a civ flagged as European or Med.
Old December 4, 2002, 10:46   #5
punkbass2000
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III Democracy GameApolyton UniversityCivilization III PBEM
King

I vote for me
Old December 4, 2002, 11:05   #6
Elowan
Warlord

Local Time: 05:02
Quote:
Originally posted by punkbass2000
I vote for me
Hey! That was my choice!
Old December 4, 2002, 11:26   #7
Mad Bomber
King

Quote:
Originally posted by punkbass2000
I vote for me
Forgot to put the Hu-man in the poll but I didn't expect the AI's to vote, my apologies Punkbass and Elowan
Old December 4, 2002, 12:03   #8
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Pushovers...

Well, a lot of this depends on the when and where.

Consistent pushovers: England, India

The Zulu are usually garbage, but killing them isn't easy until you have Knights.

The Aztecs are often weak, because as you point out the AI doesn't know what to do with Jags, but I've seen pretty strong Aztec empires.

The Romans without iron are total garbage. With it, however, they are powerful.

The Japanese are often pushovers for me when I play China, but that's because I hit them in the ancient age. Trying to kill them when they have Samurai isn't a lot of fun.

To be honest, I like killing religious civs, as more of their cities will have culture and will thus not auto-raze. Non-industrious civs tend to be weaker at first, so my favorite targets combine religious with anything BUT industrious:

India (probably Spain too)
Iroquois (probably Arabs too)
Japan
Aztecs
Babylon

The Aztecs and Babs can be tougher due to their UU's. The Babs can be a real *****, actually, if the terrain is rough. If you have flat ground, you can horseman rush them to death before their GA production churns out huge numbers of those tough little bowmen.

The Iroquois are clearly a major worry if they get MWs. I had to fight a MW-enabled Iroquois empire in what was probably my best game to date (Egypt, Emperor, 1.29) and it hurt badly. It was all I could do to take 2 cities and fend them off - I had swords and WCs. Without horses - or before they can hook them up, they're weak and probably have lots of tech you can extort.

Industrious civs, particularly those who are not still in expansion mode, can be tougher. If you catch them still settler/spear pumping, though, all they have done is build you an empire. America is great for that.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old December 4, 2002, 12:05   #9
punkbass2000
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III Democracy GameApolyton UniversityCivilization III PBEM
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Mad Bomber

Forgot to put the Hu-man in the poll but I didn't expect the AI's to vote, my apologies Punkbass and Elowan
Seriously, when I first saw the title from the General Forum, that was what I was expecting.
Old December 4, 2002, 12:08   #10
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Quote:
"Flash isn't here [to receive the save file], BetaHound doesnt know how to use a keyboard and I have to go in 5 minutes." - The C3PTWDG, running at full capacity. It's worse than we predicted
Ain't that the effin' truth. Go kill some effin' bears to appease the Civ gods.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old December 4, 2002, 13:05   #11
Traelin
Prince

Local Time: 07:02
I voted for India, hands down. What wusses. I'd say the Americans are too, but that's only because I've never seen them have any muscles to flex in my games (unless I play them, of course). Which happened only once.
Old December 4, 2002, 13:26   #12
TacticalGrace
Prince

Local Time: 12:02
I've ramped up the power of the Man O'War in my games.

result: the english still suck.
Old December 4, 2002, 15:04   #13
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

India. Gandhi is a big girl's blouse.
Old December 4, 2002, 15:12   #14
The diplomat
King

Local Time: 06:02
The english of course. I also find the Americans to be big pushovers, especially if you are playing the Persians. Of course if you are playing the Persians with the mighty Immortal, I guess almost everyone is a push-over! :
'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"
Old December 4, 2002, 18:22   #15
ChaotikVisions
Civilization IV Creators
Prince

India usually is for me. Even when they build up a large empire they never seem able to wage war effectively. I've annexed them in many of the games i've played. They usually get foolish and think they can take me on for some reason.
Old December 4, 2002, 18:48   #16
Cyclotron
Never Ending StoriesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
King

England definitly tops the list for me. In my games, they always get into way more wars then they can handle and end up falling like a stack of cards. Besides, their UU is hardly fearsome.
Old December 4, 2002, 19:07   #17
statusperfect
King

Quote:
Originally posted by cyclotron7
England definitly tops the list for me. In my games, they always get into way more wars then they can handle and end up falling like a stack of cards. Besides, their UU is hardly fearsome.
No UU is fearsome in the hands of an AI.
Old December 4, 2002, 19:12   #18
Cyclotron
Never Ending StoriesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
King

I don't have PTW, but I'm willing to bet it's not any more fearsome in human hands.
Old December 4, 2002, 21:13   #19
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
England... it's the only AI civ that I have NEVER seen achieve a strong position.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old December 4, 2002, 22:41   #20
Brutus66
Prince

Local Time: 12:02
Quote:
The English
Finally, BombThrower, er I mean Mad Bomber, something we can agree on.

Shame too...my favorite civ...sob...
Old December 5, 2002, 00:27   #21
Aeson
Emperor

Local Time: 06:02
England's traits are both more useful on larger maps. I've seen them get very powerful on Huge maps. Overall they are the weakest civ though.

The Indians are usually a pain for me, because you can't just cut off their Iron and expect a cakewalk like most other AI. I almost always try to hit them before Chivalry, or leave them around for later.

The Zulu are always nasty in my games. Sometimes I think it would be best to give them Iron and some money to upgrade those Impi. They are certainly my least favorite neighbor, Germany a close second. The Ancient and early Middle ages are so important, and those two can always be counted upon to just slow things down for the player.
Old December 5, 2002, 03:57   #22
MiloMilo
Warlord

Who's a pushover when I hit them? Well everyone, right?

I read the question as, who is usually a pushover independent of the human player's actions? The easiest way to check this is to look at that second continent when you discover navigation.

For me, strangely enough, the English and Indians are almost always quite strong. The Americans, Chinese, and Babylonians are the pushovers. This surely has a lot to do with map size: I always play on large maps.
Old December 5, 2002, 06:37   #23
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 09:02
England. In my games, they are usually very weak and a lot of times I've seen them being wiped out by another AI civ.
Old December 5, 2002, 15:26   #24
Pyrodrew
Prince

Local Time: 04:02
Zulus are no pushovers in the ancient age, so they stay ok.

The biggest pushover is England. Even India has a better UU (and India's UU isn't that great), especially since it has a longer lifespan from being obsolete than England. England also has 'Naval Units' on "Build Often", which makes her land forces/structures weaker than they should be & since naval military units in the hands of the AI is near useless, so such is England.
Old December 5, 2002, 17:46   #25
statusperfect
King

Quote:
Originally posted by cyclotron7
I don't have PTW, but I'm willing to bet it's not any more fearsome in human hands.
You haven't seen it in my hands, baby
Old December 5, 2002, 18:02   #26
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

I've rarely seen England survive a game their present in, so I'm voting for them as complete wimps.
Old December 5, 2002, 19:46   #27
Lord Merciless
Warlord

English, followed by Aztecs and Zulus. The AI doesn't know how to use most UUs effectively. Legionaries and Immortals are the only exception.
Old December 6, 2002, 01:10   #28
Mad Bomber
King

Thanks for the replies. The one thing that shocks me so far is India having so many votes. I kind of like their UU, a knight unit with no resources needed is nice and I like their traits as well, can anyone comment on why India is a wimpy civ, is it Ghandi? What is the deal with India?
Old December 6, 2002, 01:54   #29
Lord Merciless
Warlord

I disagree on India being a wimpy civ. They are not aggressive, but they are also hard to take on. First, you can't play the denial of resources to cut their UU production. Second, India tends to be well built up and can mobilize large forces if need be.
Old December 6, 2002, 07:06   #30
CerberusIV
lifer
C4WDG United Dungeon DwellersC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

I usually see the Babylonians go under, probably because they often start next to the Persians. Their problem is that they are not very aggressive and their UU is obselete by the end of the expansion phase when the serious wars start. Obviously a minority view though from the poll results.

I don't find the Indians much opposition. I used to play the Japanese a lot and would regularly crush them with Samurai (much better than War Elephants).

I recently finished a game where the English were the only civ left apart from my Japanese. They started on the second continent with the Russians and the Germans, wiped out the Germans early on and were massively ahead of the Russians before my marines took and razed the last (undefended!) Russian city.

I thought I could get domination without taking on the English but their population was too big. Next time!