View Poll Results: Are you ready to start playing AU 202?
Yes! Bring it on! Now! 15 75.00%
No, give me another week or so. 4 20.00%
No, never! What a silly idea for a AU game! 1 5.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 5, 2002, 22:56   #31
alexman
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMApolyCon 06 Participants
Firaxis Games Software Engineer

Local Time: 08:06
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Don't worry about not knowing the AU mod rules inside out. One of the main goals of the mod is to preserve the feel of stock Civ3, so there are very few strategies that work in one version and not the other. (There are some, however, that might work better in one version than the other).

As for the 1-2 killer AIs, I agree that it would be nice. We'll see what we can do. Perhaps there is a way, but the nature of Civ3 (compared to Civ2, for example) makes it easy to catch up if you fall behind, so it might be difficult.

Anyway, no pressure about playing the mod, really. I was just giving you a hard time.
Old December 5, 2002, 23:03   #32
Catt
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
King

Local Time: 05:06
Yup - I don't expect big differences. I just need to refresh my memory of the mod -- for instance, playing the mod it may actually make sense to build ironclads (something I usually avoid like the plague in stock Civ III).

Conversation continued in the AU Mod thread!

Catt
Old December 5, 2002, 23:07   #33
BRC
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Prince

Local Time: 06:06
Quote:
But several of us have got to play a standard version (just to compare AI development, particularly on the "non-human" continent, to continue our exploration on whether the Mod seems to generate "Killer AI's" more frequently than standard rules).
This is me. Monarch with the Mongols. Gonna try some new things out thanks to Dominae. Jawa and I can compare our games, unless he gives it a go at Emperor. First game ever with Expansionist trait. If I don't post results, you know what happened.
Old December 5, 2002, 23:34   #34
Catt
King

Quote:
Originally posted by BRC

This is me. Monarch with the Mongols. Gonna try some new things out thanks to Dominae. Jawa and I can compare our games, unless he gives it a go at Emperor. First game ever with Expansionist trait. If I don't post results, you know what happened.
[personal plea]

No -- you must share your game with us (even if it seems embarassing). Part of AU is learning what works and what doesn't, and also learning how AI civs develop under standard rules versus AU Mod rules -- unless we are all willing to share what didn't work, no one learns!

If you look back through all the AU games (and the few mini-tourney or "MT" games that we played) I think you'll find everyone posting a loss or at least highlighting some serious mistakes made or well-conceived, well-executed but nonetheless unproductive strategies / tactics. If I'm not mistaken, the greats such as Arrian, Sir Ralph and Theseus (in alphabetical order) have all posted and dissected failed approachs or strategic errors. And we all learn from it.

So please put ego aside and share -- there's no ranking and no score competition (which is part of the reason why the move to offer AU as a scenario -- and therefore playable at any difficulty level -- was such a great idea!) -- we can all play at the level we consider most entertaining and we can all contribute to the knowledge base! Even if I like to play at Monarch or Emperor, I can still learn from someone who likes to play at Warlord (and vice-versa) -- but only so long as others share their games!

[/personal plea]

Catt
Old December 6, 2002, 00:31   #35
BRC
Prince

Hey guys, sorry to post this request in this thread, but I would appreciate if someone could tell me how to post a screenshot on Poly. I already have it saved in Paint. Thanks.
Old December 6, 2002, 00:50   #36
BRC
Prince

Well Catt, you talked me into it.

I'm feeling good about this game, and it's still before 1500 B.C.
Old December 6, 2002, 00:51   #37
Catt
King

Screenshots can be a bit of a pain, largely because I refuse to actually pay for any real photo editing software, so I use what was preinstalled on my laptop - one program does one needed task; a second does a second needed task .

I hit alt-printscreen to capture the image. I then paste it into Microsoft Paint. I then reduce it by using the "Stretch / Skew" command from the dropdown menu "Image." I reduce it to 58%, which, through trial and error, I've figured out gets it down to less than 600 x 450 pixels ('Poly limits). I then save it as a bitmap (because MS paint can't save as a jpeg ). I then open the saved bitmap file in Microsoft Photo Editor and simply resave it as a jpeg. I've found that if I just use Microsoft PhotoEditor, the quality is terrible after shrinking the image size -- only by shrinking a bitmap in MS Paint and then converting to jpeg in MS PhotoEditor can I get a decent quailty image that fits within the 'Poly restrictions, both dimensions and memory size.

Catt
Old December 6, 2002, 01:45   #38
DaveMcW
Prince

Local Time: 07:06
http://www.irfanview.com/

This is an excellent image viewer/converter. And it's free.
Old December 6, 2002, 04:03   #39
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 12:06
Yeah, use Irfanview for the screenies, it'll do the job nicely.

I've downloaded the zip, but won't start to play until after the weekend (I'm busy). I plan to play as the English too.
Old December 6, 2002, 05:03   #40
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

When can I use the Korean Strat?
Old December 6, 2002, 05:18   #41
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 13:06
I'll give it a shot after I finish my current, Egyptian game. Which goes pretty slow, due to other issues, but is great fun. In that game, by the way, the Mongols are together with China and France (no surprise on these) among the big and prosper AI civs. Never seen the Zulus that strong, and they have the same traits. Looks like I'll take the Mongols and will try to win in Genghis' style.

Unless alexman is cruel and locked them up on a 10 tile island... which is what I expect, because I know him.
Old December 6, 2002, 11:27   #42
BRC
Prince

Quote:
Looks like I'll take the Mongols and will try to win in Genghis' style.
Excellent choice. I am trying to use them in the same fashion. No one can stop the horde (or at least that's the plan).
Old December 6, 2002, 16:11   #43
Jawa Jocky
Prince

Local Time: 04:06
I'm hoping for some mountains so I can use my UU special trait.

I gave up on mods a while ago. It's not that I didn't like them, but I could never remember the changes.

Speaking of thing I can't remember. How many different types of stack commands does PTW have? J = moves the whole stack now. Is there a stack move only current unit type? Also is there a build unit and move to city command now?
Old December 6, 2002, 16:43   #44
Dominae
BtS Tri-LeaguePtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Jawa Jocky
Speaking of thing I can't remember. How many different types of stack commands does PTW have? J = moves the whole stack now. Is there a stack move only current unit type? Also is there a build unit and move to city command now?
CTRL-J is move all units of only one type in the stack.

Dominae
Old December 6, 2002, 16:45   #45
Dominae
Emperor

Speaking of important changes, the new version of the AU mod has Galleys require 2 movement points to traverse Ocean squares. This is a bigger change than you'd think, so watch out.

Dominae
Old December 6, 2002, 17:50   #46
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

That pretty much nerfs suicide galley runs for contact, huh?

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old December 6, 2002, 18:15   #47
Dominae
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Arrian
That pretty much nerfs suicide galley runs for contact, huh?
Yup. I've got the Great Lighthouse, but it's still fiendishly difficult to get anywhere off the continental shelf. Also, I used to "dip" into the ocean and come back to the coast (for extra visibility), but now this maneuver costs too many moves to be of any use.

Dominae
Old December 6, 2002, 19:09   #48
Catt
King

Quote:
Originally posted by alexman
Don't worry about not knowing the AU mod rules inside out. One of the main goals of the mod is to preserve the feel of stock Civ3, so there are very few strategies that work in one version and not the other. (There are some, however, that might work better in one version than the other).

(how come the isn't celerating the holiday spirit? even the is decked out?)

Well, I finally printed out the Readme in preparation for starting the game tonight. There are some changes to the standard game that are pretty important to understand right from the get-go. But I think I've absorbed them and will keep the readme near the computer.

Anyone else playing the Arabs?

Quote:
Originally posted by Jawa Jocky
Also is there a build unit and move to city command now?
Right clicking on a city allows you to set a "rally point" (which could be another city) where all finished units from that city will go automatically upon being built.

Catt
Old December 6, 2002, 21:40   #49
Mazarin
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Prince

I think, I'll try the Arabs...but with standard rules. Can anyone say how good the position is...I'm not sure whether to play it at emperor or to try deity.
Old December 6, 2002, 22:36   #50
alexman
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMApolyCon 06 Participants
Firaxis Games Software Engineer

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Ralph
Unless alexman is cruel and locked them up on a 10 tile island... which is what I expect, because I know him.
Don't worry, I didn't mess with the map this time. It's 100% map generator-made.

Mazarin, I wouldn't try deity unless my name started with "A" and ended in "eson".

Catt, good luck with the AU Mod!
Thanks for trying it out, and I'm looking forward to your comments.
Old December 6, 2002, 23:43   #51
Aeson
Emperor

Edit: Comment for Alexman removed to the spoiler thread, sorry.

Last edited by Aeson; December 7, 2002 at 01:20.
Old December 6, 2002, 23:59   #52
Catt
King

Aeson - you might edit your post. It is a very small spoiler. Not likely to do any harm, but all the same -- and see the spoiler thread for my results (at least round one .

Catt
Old December 7, 2002, 17:05   #53
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

What diff level is everyone playing this on?
Old December 7, 2002, 17:26   #54
Dominae
Emperor

Emperor here. I believe this is one of those maps that is quite easy on Monarch (if you're already used to that difficulty level), but a real pain on Emperor and Deity. Then again, maybe the "tweaks" of 1.14 and the AU mod are working together to burn me this game.

Dominae
Old December 7, 2002, 20:44   #55
Mazarin
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Prince

I've started this game on emperor...and it seems to be really hard at the beginning -maybe because there is no cultural link.
Old December 7, 2002, 22:51   #56
notyoueither
Deity

Oh. Monarch is what came up defeault, so that is where I started it. Oh well, I am having fun with the expansion bit. Although, I think I may be taking a different path than that intended.
Old December 9, 2002, 10:37   #57
jshelr
Civilization III PBEMIron CiversC3CDG Ankh-Morpork
Emperor

I had a hut in my initial city radius on the first turn of a recent game. I was hoping for a settler pop, which requires that you not have an active settler. It is ambiguous whether popping the hut by founding a city can ever produce a settler. Anyone know?

I moved one square away to make sure, but that might not be necessary.
Old December 9, 2002, 10:45   #58
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

I've just started this (I'm playing the PTW version now) and I got a settler from my first goody hut!
Old December 9, 2002, 18:24   #59
Jawa Jocky
Prince

Local Time: 04:06
Quote:
Originally posted by Catt
(because MS paint can't save as a jpeg ).Catt
Does paint have a newer version? On my computer XP-pro paint can save as .jpeg

Thanks for the 58% advice. My screenshots were looking pretty bad until I came back and read this.
Old December 12, 2002, 19:27   #60
ducki
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?Apolyton University
King

AU202 already?
Gah!

I just had a son - well, technically my wife had him - so my "free" time is gobbled up with laundry, dishes, naps, and trying to relieve my newfound back-pain.

If I come back to this at a later date, I definitely want to play it, and I'll probably try Arabs.