Old June 6, 2000, 13:31   #1
Teeks
Settler

Local Time: 01:44
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Planet-Buster Syndrome
Every time I get to Orbital Spaceflight, the image of the Planet Buster in action dances around in my head so frequently, that I'll start building them in absurd quantities, and send them out to blow the bejesus out of enemy cities, just to see that awesome graphic, regardless of if the atrocity prohibitions have been lifted. Also, every time I get to Nerve Gas Pods, I make a 6-3-2 X Missle Rover and get myself into 240 years of economic sanctions. It seems as if when I use nerve gas or a PB, I can't stop!

------------------
--Teeks
Old June 6, 2000, 14:50   #2
Aredhran
Prince

Local Time: 02:44
Seek medical help
Old June 6, 2000, 14:52   #3
waynehead
Prince

I don't know why, but I never have this problem. My recommendation: do what I do, don't build PBs until your enemy does. Wait for them to fire first, then lob 4-5 of 'em at them, and knock them out of the game.

They'll rarely attack, unless you're about to Transcend (or if they're Miriam or Yang) - so 'nuclear' holocaust is usually avoided.

But if you really like killing enemies with gas and stuff, buy SMAX and play as/fight the aliens. It can be fun.
Old June 7, 2000, 08:22   #4
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Teeks

One thing I find when I make the fateful decision to employ nerve gas is it's like an addiction. Once you've crossed the line you are in a long term fight with the faction you've just gassed and at odds with the rest of the world. Damage is done at that point so you may as well just keep piling it on. (be prepared for planet reprisal as well)

That being said I normally have my best attacking units fitted with nerve capability but generally refrain from it's use unless severely pressed (against the AI this is rare) or the UN charter is revoked and even then I rarely use it.

PB's while fun in twisted demented way usually are of little use to me as I'mmost worried 'bout the early game and getting to MMI. Once MMI is in hand the game is yours in SP. PB's can be used to accelerate the process but are by and large not necessary.
Old June 7, 2000, 19:38   #5
hroman21
Chieftain

I also equip my units with nerve gas - just in case, and use it when there is sun spot activity (communications disruption) or the enemy has such strong defenses it would take too long to conquer them.

On PB's, my favorite tactic is to amass enough PB's such that I can take out all of my enemies in one turn - that's the challenge. Otherwise, it's just not as fun for me.

Regards,
hroman21

------------------
"Laughter is the most powerful weapon ever created. Against laughter, nothing stands!"
Old June 8, 2000, 01:41   #6
Adam_Smith
Prince

Teeks,

That is funny, but so true. I love to blast away. I know it's sick, but oh well. I would be completely rational in serious competition though.

Check out my smily face. He has sun glasses on to protect him from the blast. Muhahahaha
Old June 10, 2000, 13:02   #7
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 21:44
Local Date: October 30, 2010
You know that you have been using nerve gas too much when the other factions impose over 3000 years of sanctions against you.

8¬O
Old June 10, 2000, 20:09   #8
vee4473
King

Local Time: 20:44
I understand what you are saying!!

But, if you love seeing such devastation, you should play some real time strategy games that REALLY have death and carnage and destruction in them!!!

I only post this reply to say that if I am looking for high quality graphics with regards to huge explosions and mayhem, turn-based strategy games like AC are the last place I look.

Old June 10, 2000, 21:48   #9
Enigma
Prince

What I would really love to see in my SMAC career sometime is two large coalitions fighting, with the whole world factionalized like WWII. Nukes could be part of massive strategic invasions. Or factions that don't wish their enemies to know they are involved in the war could turn a few nukes over to their allies.
Old June 11, 2000, 00:04   #10
LoD
Prince

Local Time: 02:44
Right on! ABC weapons are the Great Equlaizer in SMAC warfare.

BTW, population loss due to nerve gas attack is rounded up (eg. a size 3 base becomes size 1). Neat, huh ?

LoD
Old June 11, 2000, 17:10   #11
vee4473
King

Kids only Adam Smith?

You would be surprised at the amount of quick thinking is needed to win in an RTS.

I don't say this to be confrontational. Not at all!! I agree with you Adam that turn based is very good, but to say that RTS games are for kids only is strange..

They are 2 different types of games. Some would say that RTS games are tougher because you don't have the luxury of waiting until your heart desires to make a move.

I only replied to this post because the originator said he loved seeing destruction... And if it's graphical destruction you are looking for, then RTS is where you should look..

I think all would agree...

It has nothing to do with RTS being for kids or whatever....it has to do with what makes you happy.

Actually, if it's real world strategy that you are looking for, I think you should go to RTS games for the most part...Turn based are DAMN fun and good, but...

I have yet to meet a turn based game that is truly realistic...I love them, and I LOVE AC, but the factor of real - time does add a bit of realism that is lacking in AC or any other turn based game.

I just felt annoyed by you saying that real time games are for kids..

that's all

8-)

Old June 11, 2000, 17:23   #12
vee4473
King

Oh, by the way,

Before I say this, I'd like to say that I LOVE Alpha Centauri and Civ2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But, I also love RTS games, and just to defend them...

Some would say that defending a base in an RTS game is much more difficult than in a turn based game.

In an RTS game, if you see a wave of enemy forces advancing, you need to devise a strategy to defend your base effectively...or die..period.

You can't sit back and decide to have your lone scout rover defend your city while you decide what special project to build...or an impact rover to help out.

the point is that both have very different styles of strategy involved with their respective games, BUT NEITHER IS FOR KIDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!

Hee Hee Hee

good night

and RTS games confer a feeling of realness that is unmistakeable.

although the GREAT Alpha Centauri and Civ2 have styles that will LIVE FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh well

Old June 12, 2000, 00:36   #13
Adam_Smith
Prince

RTS is not a possiblity. It's for kids only.
Old June 12, 2000, 11:38   #14
sunchaser3
Chieftain

You know, I had the great idea once of building a horde of nuclear subs that could blanket the planet in nuclear destruction at any time. I was very disappointed that you could not combine the carrier deck and the the pressure hull abilities. It would have been so cool, my enemies searching in vain for the missles that could obliterate them at any time!!
Old June 12, 2000, 15:43   #15
Enigma
Prince

PB's can be launched from anywhere without a problem. And you do not need to build any silos, however probe teams can sabotage PB silos in the city that they are being stored in.
Old June 13, 2000, 00:36   #16
SteveMc
Settler

I'm just asking a quick question while this topic is up front. Can I transport BP's by boat or can they only be launched from the base that built them. What about Psi Gates?
Old June 16, 2000, 19:54   #17
Alinestra Covelia
ACDG The Human HiveRise of Nations Multiplayer
Queen

Local Time: 21:44
I am using the Nerve Gas Pods at present to exterminate both alien races. On Iron Woman, on Transcend, I have given up all attempts at being reasonable with both Marr and H'minee, and am building up sufficient X Needlejets to destroy every last city of theirs on the face of Planet.

No "capture and hold" nonsense for me! No - every last alien in every last base will be exterminated! Do you hear?! EX-TER-MIN-ATED!!!!

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAH!

*clears throat and looks around*

I can't see the point of even trying to make peace with them. I'm the most powerful human faction around, and they're clearly not interested in a peaceful solution to things. Does anybody know how to A) beat them without resorting to gleeful genocide, or B) Maintain good diplomatic relations with them?

------------------
"In all creation, there can be no task more onerous or tedious than that of playing God." - Stephen Fry, 'The Liar'.

Homepage http://www.enixine.dabsol.co.uk (Shared)
Old June 16, 2000, 19:56   #18
Adam_Smith
Prince

They will always make war with you eventually unless you just keep giving them things until they win. You have to destroy all of them.
Old June 16, 2000, 20:00   #19
Adam_Smith
Prince

No offense vee. That is just my feelings.
Old June 16, 2000, 21:48   #20
Mongoose
ACDG The Free Drones
King

PBs can only be transported by sea if the transport has the carrier deck SA. In that case, they can be launched therefrom also.

Otherwise, as in CivII, they can be 'flown' from one of your bases to another as long as the destination base is within the PB's range.

PBs CANNOT end their turn 'in flight'!