Old December 5, 2002, 16:13   #1
Minmaster
Warlord

Local Time: 04:08
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Does the AI respect artillery?
with the arrival of infantry, the cavalry's might is diminished, so instead of building them, i just build infantries and a whole lot of artilleries. but does the AI respect the artillery? what i mean is when the AIs determine your military strength, which is a big factor on whether they decide to wage a war against you, do they take into account the gazillions of artilleries i have sitting, waiting for them? if they dont, they should, because artillery does most of the work for me until tanks arrive onto the scene.
Old December 5, 2002, 16:51   #2
Carver
Prince

Local Time: 06:08
Good question. They've changed how the AI accounts for military strenght a bit since the initial release. I THINK, the readme says they count units with attack and defense points - I guess that would mean arty doesn't count... but I'm kind of guessing here...
Old December 5, 2002, 17:10   #3
ruby_maser
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshineC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Local Time: 06:08
I am in the middle of a pre-tank war right now with infantry and artillery only. I never tried this before, but I'm trucking around my enemy's countryside with them, and keeping to the mountains; they cannot seem to dislodge me. They keep bringing infantry up against me but an attack strength of six can't beat a defensive strength of 20 +bonuses for fortifying if that happens to be the case. I've got trade embargoes with the only other nations left in the game, and I'm denying them their own resources so that they can't use Motorized Transport when they get it. Life is sweet.
"The dogmas of the quiet past are inadequate to the stormy present. The occasion is piled high with difficulty, and we must rise with the occasion. As our case is new, so we must think anew and act anew. We must disenthrall ourselves, and then we shall save our country." -- Abraham Lincoln

"Generations to come will scarce believe that such a one as this ever, in flesh and blood, walked upon this earth." -- Albert Einstein, in regards to Mohandis Gandhi
Old December 5, 2002, 17:25   #4
statusperfect
King

Local Time: 14:08
I have played many games with a LOT of artillery and to me it seems like the AI respects artillery.
Old December 5, 2002, 17:32   #5
Minmaster
Warlord

well i want a definitive YES or NO answer... preferably from Fearaxis
Old December 5, 2002, 17:47   #6
statusperfect
King

Civfanatics are having a PTW chat tomorrow... you could ask the firaxians there.
Old December 5, 2002, 18:16   #7
ChrisiusMaximus
Civilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Local Time: 13:08
Does the AI respect Artillery? who knows!

Does the AI have any idea how to use Artillery? now there's an easier question to answer.
A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.
Old December 5, 2002, 18:25   #8
statusperfect
King

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisiusMaximus
Does the AI have any idea how to use Artillery? now there's an easier question to answer.
Old December 5, 2002, 19:05   #9
Minmaster
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by statusperfect
Civfanatics are having a PTW chat tomorrow... you could ask the firaxians there.
can someone ask for me? i wont be able to join the chat.
Old December 6, 2002, 00:56   #10
Merc
Settler

Local Time: 05:08
I've had Infantry with artillery and without artillery and the ai will always seem to attack the ones without artillery.
Old December 6, 2002, 05:41   #11
statusperfect
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Merc
I've had Infantry with artillery and without artillery and the ai will always seem to attack the ones without artillery.
I think he means if they count when comparing the fprces of two civilizations. Right?
Old December 6, 2002, 07:39   #12
fittstim
Warlord

I've seen the AI build artillery but not once, in 7 years of playing Civ games, have I seen the AI actually use artillery.
Old December 6, 2002, 07:48   #13
Minmaster
Warlord

yea im not asking if AI respects artillery in terms of them just shying away from piles of artillery or ships moving away from artillery because they fear bombardment. im asking if artillery is taken into account when they compare military strengths.
Old December 6, 2002, 07:57   #14
Kampus majore
Chieftain

They use artillery to defend their cities, so in a defensive way and in not an agressive way.

Once they attacked me and took my artillery (yes, that was a big error i made, having not enough infantry to protect them). THEN they used the artillery to shoot me to smithereens....
Old December 6, 2002, 07:58   #15
Chieftess
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Chieftess

Local Time: 08:08
Based on the first demogame over at CFC (I rarely use artillery myself), I would have to say no. One civ litteratly sent their riflemen to attack like lemmings running over a cliff, and straight into our artillery and tanks. Needless to say, the #2 civ didn't last too long.
Old December 6, 2002, 07:59   #16
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

You mean, use offensively. The AI does use artillery, but only from within their cities, mostly to attack your ships or to destroy tile improvements (if the city is near the border). They rarely attack ground units, and only if you have units gathering near their city.

Edited: Oh, sorry, it was a response to fittstim's post, I didn't see the other replies.
--Woody Allen
Old December 6, 2002, 08:46   #17
Patroklos
Emperor

Local Time: 12:08
I use artillery almost to excess, and I do believe they respect it. I have seen the AI use artillery offensivly and defensivly, but I think the offensive use was because the unit happend to move within range of my units when it was bieng moved across the field.
Old December 6, 2002, 08:48   #18
statusperfect
King

The AI is quite good at air combat though. Wonder why they master air combat/carriers but not catapults.
Old December 6, 2002, 11:44   #19
planetfall
Prince

Local Time: 05:08
Experiment-- edit AI preferences for bombard units from defensive to offensive and then play a game with those values. You should see a difference in AI action. {No I haven't tried it yet, but should treat bombard units same as other units and maximize for either defensive or offense.}

== PF