Old December 5, 2002, 18:12   #1
Shr3dZ
Warlord

Local Time: 12:08
Local Date: November 1, 2010
MP thoughts
I just wanna post something to see if anyone has any thoughts on having a more enjoyable MP experience. These are a couple of comments I made on a personal forum, so they might not make perfect sense but Ill review them...

Its started with me starting up one of my SP games, then the MP button caught my eye, so I joined one of the first low ping games I saw, 4 players all checked off their 'ready' buttons. Game starts with one player being disconnected right away, 20 minutes into the game the germans are disconnected and all their cities are burned to the ground. 2 more hours after that my armies are stomping on English cities one by one, my Japanese Samuri proving themselves in battle time after time. Then another windows comes up saying the English have 60 to re-establish their connection... dammit, but I think it might have been that the guy just quit.. or should I say retreat.

Ya! Look at my Samuri go nuts, clensing the land of this English plague...
Turnless mode is what we played, its very hard to get the hang of. Things go too quickly for you to get a good grasp of whats going on. And the disaster that happens if there is any lag is crazy, the lag hits while a new turn comes up b/c the computer has to load all the things that happened in all yer cities and for everyone else, sometimes it doesnt recover until the end of the turn, so then the whole process starts over again and I ended up not being able to move any units for a few turns before things settled down, but then I had the new task of trying to figure out which cities bought wut during the turns that I missed... ugh. Thank god I had the pleasure of winning, otherwise this might have been a complete write-off. Notice the time counter in the upper-right part of the SS, almost 3 hours of gaming...

EDIT: In the very upper-right corner of the screen it shows our civs plus a number on the end, I was about 60 points higher than him the whole game until the point I started going to war... what do those numbers represent?
Old December 5, 2002, 18:20   #2
statusperfect
King

Local Time: 14:08
Which patch was this played with?
Old December 5, 2002, 18:53   #3
Shr3dZ
Warlord

The latest.
Old December 5, 2002, 21:31   #4
Acemo
Civilization III Multiplayer
Warlord

Local Time: 07:08
Re: MP thoughts
Quote:
Originally posted by Shr3dZ

EDIT: In the very upper-right corner of the screen it shows our civs plus a number on the end, I was about 60 points higher than him the whole game until the point I started going to war... what do those numbers represent?
These numbers are scores. you were winning.
Old December 6, 2002, 02:25   #5
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

the pic is so huge and apolyton is so slow right now i dont have the patience to see it
Old December 6, 2002, 14:21   #6
Nick727
Settler

The other guy was winning score wise. It also looks as if you are not putting much cash into reserch. 17 turns!! thats a lot of turns to get a tech most it often takes me is 6-7 turns though I try to keep it to 4-5 turns. I still dunno why anyone would play as English in a MP game. If I was that guy Id be wishing I had some Berserks its just a shame he would play as England so he couldnt make em.
Old December 6, 2002, 15:36   #7
WarpStorm
King

Why play as the English? Two reasons come to mind. One they are expansionistic, although I will say that there are stronger expansionistic teams. The most likely reason is the same reason I've played them in my first MP game. We were playing random civs and I'm man enough to play my cards as dealt.
Old December 6, 2002, 16:12   #8
Nick727
Settler

that takes lots of ballz to play as random civ in MP if you get some sucky civ you are screwd.
Old December 6, 2002, 17:29   #9
Shr3dZ
Warlord

The reason I was pumping so much into taxes is b/c, right after I got Magnetism with the galleons/frigates I stopped tech. production and went almost full taxes, I switched every city to building Samuri and with excellerated production on, I was getting them in 1-2 turns each. I had 2 groups of 10 galleons carrying 4 men each, ferrying them across to the enemies coast - back and forth dropping off troops. You cant tell from the screenshot but I had a ton of units. 90% taxes and IM STILL LOSING MONEY! The support costs were too much...

It was getting late and I just wanted to end the game and go to bed...
Old December 6, 2002, 19:47   #10
Acemo
Civilization III Multiplayer
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Nick727
that takes lots of ballz to play as random civ in MP if you get some sucky civ you are screwd.
I like playing random civs, I think it makes for a better experience. Sure its a little tougher, but then i play at regent level maybe that is the difference.