Old December 5, 2002, 20:41   #1
MosesPresley
Prince

Local Time: 07:09
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Why did I lose?
Hi all. I have attached a save of my latest game, one turn before it is announced that I have suffered a humiliating defeat. The problem is I don't know what kind of defeat? UN election? Culture? Domination?

If anyone can help, I would appreciate it.
Attached Files:
"In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed. But they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love. They had 500 years of democracy and peace. And what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."
—Orson Welles as Harry Lime
Old December 5, 2002, 21:39   #2
Aeson
Emperor

Local Time: 06:09
Plant a spy in America (it will succeed if that's what you do first from that save). Then check the spacerace...
Old December 6, 2002, 00:23   #3
MosesPresley
Prince

Aaaahhhh! I will try that. Thank you.

I have been trying all kinds of things to find out what happened.
"In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed. But they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love. They had 500 years of democracy and peace. And what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."
Old December 6, 2002, 00:51   #4
Tuberski

Quote:
Originally posted by MosesPresley
Aaaahhhh! I will try that. Thank you.

I have been trying all kinds of things to find out what happened.
It's always a good idea to plant spies for just this reason. Even if you don't use any other espionage function, it does give you the space race.

ACK!
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old December 6, 2002, 03:45   #5
MosesPresley
Prince

Well, thanks, I reloaded, planted the spy and that explains it. I was unable to successfully plant a spy prior to that turn. I knew they were way ahead of me, but I had no idea they were building the space ship. I would have launched an invasion against them otherwise. Oh well.

Definitely not my best game. I was pretty sure I had lost from about the late middle ages, but I kept hoping I could turn it to my favor.

Thanks again.
Old December 6, 2002, 16:17   #6
MosesPresley
Prince

After thinking about this, I have decided this is a little stupid. Fine, I was beaten, but the program should have told me how I was beaten when it flashes the defeat screen regardless of whether or not I have a spy in the winning AI's capitol.
Old December 6, 2002, 22:38   #7
Coracle
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Tuberski

It's always a good idea to plant spies for just this reason. Even if you don't use any other espionage function, it does give you the space race.

ACK!
I once suddenly was defeated by China owing to its launching first the space ship.

I tried FOUR FREAKING TIMES during different turns to plant a spy in Beijing, at great cost, and every one of them was caught. All they did was cause a war.

Espionage is a waste. Even after editing down the costs.
Old December 6, 2002, 23:50   #8
Aeson
Emperor

Local Time: 06:09
Quote:
After thinking about this, I have decided this is a little stupid. Fine, I was beaten, but the program should have told me how I was beaten when it flashes the defeat screen regardless of whether or not I have a spy in the winning AI's capitol.
I agree. Do any of the other victory conditions show who won either?
Old December 7, 2002, 00:37   #9
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Coracle
Espionage is a waste. Even after editing down the costs.
I personally find it invaluable to know how many of what type of unit the enemy has. HOw else to time your attack perfectly? the more information, the better IMHO
Old December 7, 2002, 01:39   #10
Cyclotron
Never Ending StoriesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Coracle
I tried FOUR FREAKING TIMES during different turns to plant a spy in Beijing, at great cost, and every one of them was caught. All they did was cause a war.
Uh, didn't I hear that after a failed espionage attempt you will automatically fail for the next 1-4 turns or so?
Old December 7, 2002, 04:21   #11
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 08:09
Yes in PTW that is true, not sure about Civ3.
Old December 7, 2002, 17:00   #12
MosesPresley
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Aeson
Quote:
I agree. Do any of the other victory conditions show who won either?
It does for some of the victory conditions. For one of the obvious ones it announced, "You have suffered a humilating conquest loss", or something along those lines. I am not sure about the others, because I usually play against Regent and I dominate at that level. Recently I have been playing against Monarch and I have been struggling. I have been losing quite often, usually to conquest early. So I will have to wait and see if it announces culture or domination victories with or without spies.