Old December 6, 2002, 11:48   #1
SMIFFGIG
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

Local Time: 13:12
Local Date: November 1, 2010
City walls too unrealistic (oh & and a note about barracks ?)
Ok, just a quick point. I think that city walls should expire like barracks do in Civ2

Its unrealistic having a size 20 city in the industrial ages still getting a 50% defence bonus that was built in 3500BC

I think they should expire when the city reaches certain sizes and then you could build another

of course if say the size was 20 b4 it expired and ur city was 20 then for some reason (say famine) reduced to a size 19 again the city wall would automatically come back into use (and its graphics would appear again)
not sure how possible all this is

P.S ive just had a total blank.... is there barracks in CtP2 like Civ2 (dont think there is) if there aint there should be IMO having the exact same effect as in Civ2 and also expiring like in Civ2

-James
http://www.tiberiumsun.com
Old December 6, 2002, 13:18   #2
child of Thor
Call to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Emperor

Local Time: 12:12
Yeah it shouldn't just be the size of the city that causes the city walls to disband. I guess the main reason most cities stopped using them was because they were easily destroyed once the gunpowder revolution came along. What was the point in spending the resources when they would(for the most part) just be wasted once a seige was underway? As they became redundant and city populations grew, i guess people just used bits of the walls to build their houses and city buildings(This was partly what happened in Athens after defeat by Sparta). I like your idea and i'm pretty sure CTP2 does have barracks(at least in a Mod or two).
'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.
Old December 6, 2002, 18:34   #3
Maquiladora
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power PBEMCall to Power Multiplayer
Emperor

You know i actually have a city wall outside my window well more of a manor wall, but its pretty big.

You could make City Walls obsolete by another building/advance, say Home Guard building, that give the city its Industrial Age defensive bonus. (Im not sure if this is totally my idea or im subconsciously recalling it from a mod)

What would be great would be if CtP2 could have barracks that make veteran units like civ, i think this may have been tried already though. (?)
Old December 7, 2002, 08:23   #4
child of Thor
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Maquiladora
You know i actually have a city wall outside my window well more of a manor wall, but its pretty big.
Well if they are for fortification and post-medieval i'd eat my ha....boat!

Quote:
You could make City Walls obsolete by another building/advance, say Home Guard building, that give the city its Industrial Age defensive bonus. (Im not sure if this is totally my idea or im subconsciously recalling it from a mod)
Nice idea - i can't recall if it was in a mod either?

Quote:
What would be great would be if CtP2 could have barracks that make veteran units like civ, i think this may have been tried already though. (?)
I think the barracks that you can build only give access to a unit type(or maybe this was just a discussion somewhere?). But a veteran boost for your armies built in that city would be nice.

It could be applied to alot of the city improvements i guess. Like removing granary from the build list after a certain time/era/advance?
'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.
Old December 26, 2002, 20:56   #5
Martin the Dane
Prince

A thought just occured to me. If several improvements are made unavailable due to advances old cities are better off than newly founded cities, this however should not be the case.

So what I thought of was that some buildings simply turns obsoleet once you get to a certain advance, while other are replaced by advances, finaly some defencive builings should be inefective against "newer" units. Like walls vs. canons.
Old January 1, 2003, 17:49   #6
pa314
Settler

Or if the city walls slowly deteriated over time, so that after 100 turns or so, they would have no effect and you would be able to rebuild them.
Also, I agree that there must be some units in the game which totally ignore city walls, e.g. artillary, aircraft, catapults etc.
Is this possible to incorperate in a mod?
Old January 10, 2003, 13:15   #7
SMIFFGIG
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

any modders like these ideas ?
Old January 10, 2003, 13:30   #8
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

any people who like these ideas going to make a mod?
Old January 10, 2003, 14:56   #9
Pedrunn
Call to Power II Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 09:12
Both ideas are good but i am stuck for months in same point i have stopped. I am spending to little time for modding. I like barracks but i only think it can be well implemented if there were the possibility to create more than one veteran level (wich is a feature i plan to produce in the future) otherwise will be unbalancing. And as for Walls, the idea is good but i do need to think how will it behave in the game.
-Jean Rostand
Old January 10, 2003, 19:47   #10
Tamerlin
King

Local Time: 14:12
Quote:
Originally posted by Pedrunn
Both ideas are good but i am stuck for months in same point i have stopped. I am spending to little time for modding. I like barracks but i only think it can be well implemented if there were the possibility to create more than one veteran level (wich is a feature i plan to produce in the future) otherwise will be unbalancing. And as for Walls, the idea is good but i do need to think how will it behave in the game.
Could the city walls be updated to a different kind of protection with a code close to the craddle Unit Updater slic file?
Old January 10, 2003, 21:00   #11
SMIFFGIG
Prince

Quote:
any people who like these ideas going to make a mod?
If i could i would believe me
Old January 13, 2003, 13:32   #12
The Big Mc
CTP2 Source Code Project
King

if I remember ok ctp1 did that after the genetic age you city wall is replaced with a big metallic one.
Old January 13, 2003, 15:22   #13
Tamerlin
King

Local Time: 14:12
Quote:
Originally posted by The Big Mc
if I remember ok ctp1 did that after the genetic age you city wall is replaced with a big metallic one.
The walls appearance were changed but what about the effects, were they the same?
Old January 15, 2003, 05:24   #14
The Big Mc
CTP2 Source Code Project
King

i dont know i only work here.