Old December 29, 2002, 07:00   #61
Mazarin
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Prince

Local Time: 12:15
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I like France too...but not for their UU: when playing France I try to get a big territory ASAP -either through REXing or by taking over my neighbours: being the only industrious civ within the cultural link helps a lot . Then the benefits of commercial really help: in fact more of my cities have good production and my GA helps me to rush all the other civs who have wasted their GA with their ancient UUs
Old December 29, 2002, 12:44   #62
DuncanK
Warlord

Local Time: 04:15
Mazarin,

We have similar strategies. I like to beat up on the other europeans also. I like to beat up on the other civs too. I like to take away their strategic resource before they build up their armies.

Lets say I'm next to the Romans. I research Iron Working second. Then I send out a large army of warriors to destroy the enhancement. I also detroy a bunch of other enhancements. After I destroy enhancements I take the remaining warriors to the far side of their empire. The AI will chase them over there with most of its army. By then I have built up a lot of swordsmen. Then I start to conquer them. Their lack of roads does two things. One, it prevents them from getting to the front. Two, it hurts them economically.
Old February 7, 2003, 23:12   #63
Artifex
Prince

Tag for later reference. I'm glad I finally found a fairly recent discussion on civilizations including PTW civs.

As for the person who doesn't understand why religious is good. I think you must be playing on lower diffs. On emperor and diety I think religious is the best trait.
Old February 7, 2003, 23:41   #64
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 08:15
Quote:
Originally posted by Artifex
As for the person who doesn't understand why religious is good. I think you must be playing on lower diffs. On emperor and diety I think religious is the best trait.
Why do you say that? I play EMP/Deity and never use Religous trait civs? I only switch governments once and saving shields on the cost of Temples and such is nice, but not required. You can still build them and anyway it is Luxs that keep the people content more than anything else. Marketplace, luxs and the lux slider are the tools of contented citizens. Yeah I wil have Temples and Cath and the like in the metros.
Old February 8, 2003, 00:15   #65
Artifex
Prince

I say that because religious gains in usefulness at higher diffs. At lower diffs it's value is not that great because happiness isn't much of an issue.

I agree you can get by with luxuries and marketplaces. I like the increased radius for city coverage you get with religious, to take advantage of more land and resources. I hate having cities with a 1 level radius early in the game, it screws with my placement strategy. Temples take forever to build early when not religious. Resources that shouldn't be wasted when playing at emperor or diety.

Religious is good for conquering too, you can rush build temples quick in captured cities to help prevent flipping. I think Religious/Militaristic is a good combo.
Old February 11, 2003, 12:48   #66
badman
Warlord

Local Time: 14:15
Recently I have come to think that scientific is even better than religious (nothing can beat industrious though).
All you have to do is to beeline for literature, republic, and education, build the cheap libraries and universities everywhere and you easily get a tech-lead as well as a lead in culture.

The only reason for being religious is the 1-turn-anarchy which simply cannot be beaten.

An underestimated combo is commercial/scientific (Greece, Korea). If you are a builder and don't want to be industrious just once, you should definitely play with that combo, it's awesome for builders.

But the best civ is America IMHO.
Why? Because they are an awesome allround civ, you can be a great builder as well as a strong warmonger with the Americans. Yet you shouldn't play with them on a tiny map.
Old February 11, 2003, 17:37   #67
Chemical Ollie
King

Since I got myself a state-of-the-art gaming PC I have started to play mostly on huge maps. There, expansionist civs really come to their right. America are my favorites, as they are industrious, but Iroquis are not bad either.
Old February 11, 2003, 21:59   #68
SorvinoBackhand
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEM
Chieftain

Local Time: 07:15
Aztecs
If you use them right, Aztecs are excellent.

1. 3 Civ Traits De Facto:
The jaguar warrior is basically a battle scout, so you get the expansionist civ trait for free. They move 2 spaces like scouts, so you reveal just as much of the map and can hit goody huts just as easily. And since jags can fight and retreat, barbarian huts are no trouble. Just be sure to rove in squads. Like expansionists, you'll get some free techs, including Pottery (another expansionist trait). And you can handle the barbarian huts, as well as camps (which scouts can't do), bringing you cash and early unit promotions (useful for point 2 below). No other civ starts with the equivalent of three traits.

2. Shut Down an Opponent Early:
Jaguar warriors are great for hunting down the first few settlers from nearby civs as they move 2 spaces and can attack. Hit the spearman and settler from that civ with 2 or 3 regular (don't need barracks) jaguars and you'll shut down that opponent's expansion right from the start. This is hugely helpful. Harass that nearby AI with your jags' 2 space movement. The AI will start building all military and be stuck with just 2 or 3 cities. He'll be floundering as you encircle him with cities. Make peace briefly if you need to and then absorb him or outculture him (Aztecs are religious) along the way in the course of you early war (point 4).

3. REX:
REX-ing becomes much easier due to 1 and 2 above. 1. Jaguars have them same basic 'REX-enhancing' qualities as scouts : map revelation and some free techs. Plus the cash from the barbarian camps can keep your science slider high in early game despite a few city improvements. 2. When you shut down one of you neighbors early you have that much more space to REX. And nothing sets you up as competitive (especially for the early war of point 4) better than early expansion of your own cities.

4. Early War:
I find (at Monarch/Emporer) that I don't stand a chance unless I go to war early and absorb at least two of my neighbors. You can't outrace (outbuild, 'out-science,' 'out-culture,' etc.) the AI at the higher levels because of its productive advantages. You must therefore overrun some of your neighbors quickly to acquire a breadth of your own cities in order to counterbalance the quality of the AIs' cities. Hence a militaristic civ is a requirement. You must have it for early military expansion, and just as important, a lot of early warfighting will net you your first leader early in the game. Use him to rush complete your FP in a corruption- and waste-ridden area of your empire and you've got a large, and productive area under your control by mid-Middle Ages. After this first long war, switch to Democracy to catch up in science and culture (you now have the productive breadth to compete in the race, and the religious Aztecs make government switching a snap), buy off your other opponents (unhappy that you lied to the AI civs you wiped out earlier) and you are good to go for awhile.

Springer's Final Thought:
Who cares about civ traits that are strong in late game. You have to survive and be big enough to even be competitive in late game, so choose traits based on early game advantages at the higher levels of difficulty. Its the only way to even get to late game with a real chance.
Old February 11, 2003, 23:12   #69
BRC
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Prince

Local Time: 06:15
Quote:
Like expansionists, you'll get some free techs, including Pottery (another expansionist trait).
It is my experience that there is a significant difference in the "goodies" that are acquired between a non-expansionist and expansionist civ. In the early game, a settler can lower the difficulty by a full setting.

Quote:
I find (at Monarch/Emporer) that I don't stand a chance unless I go to war early and absorb at least two of my neighbors. You can't outrace (outbuild, 'out-science,' 'out-culture,' etc.) the AI at the higher levels because of its productive advantages.
You CAN outbuild the AI, even at Emperor with enough land and a good FP/Palace placement. Shrewd trading also plays a part.

Quote:
Hence a militaristic civ is a requirement.
See Catt's AAR in the AU 204: Spoilers thread.

Quote:
Who cares about civ traits that are strong in late game. You have to survive and be big enough to even be competitive in late game, so choose traits based on early game advantages at the higher levels of difficulty. Its the only way to even get to late game with a real chance.
It isn't the only way, but it may be the easiest way to survive. However, I think that your focus is way to narrow. There are many different ways to play and win. If this works for you, then good. Perfect it. But you must realize that you will never be as good as someone who can adapt to a bad situation.

Sorry if I came off harsh, but the last thing that you should do is tell yourself that you have this game figured out. I don't think that 1% of the people here have half of it figured out.
I would suggest that you look at the Must Read Threads at the top of the forum. If nothing else, it will open your mind.
Old February 12, 2003, 10:40   #70
SorvinoBackhand
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEM
Chieftain

BRC,

1. Ceteris paribus, you can NEVER outrace the AI at Monarch-Deity in a randomly selected game. It is mathematically impossible due to the AI's built in productive advantages. Further, these adavantages expand geometrically, as they compound every turn. This is the whole point of upper level play. The human player's superior capability for strategic thought is to compensate this productive handicap. But by definition, a random AI city will be superior to a random city of yours.

2. You may intervene against that challenging logic in only two ways. a) You can try to outgrow the AI by REX-ing better than it does. You may block chokepoints, expand overseas, place cities better, whatever. But this is difficult as the AI can crank out settlers faster than. And the possibilities for such expansion run out once all the map's land is filled in by mid-Ancient. b) The only other course is warfare. By removing cities from AI control and placing them under your own, you improve the balance of power in your favor through a direct transfer of assets. Again, as your cities are mathematically less productive than the AI's you need more of them to counterbalance theirs. This is not a disputable claim, but rather a simple mathematical inevitability. Conceive of the game as an exercise in game theory, as your AI opponents do, and it becomes quite clear.

3. As a result war is INEVITABLE if you wish to acquire a large imperial space and be competitive in late game. With the the exception of a highly risky (because you won't be able to spend much on defense) scientific/industrious run straight for a spaceship win, there is simply no way you will have the imperial scale to compete for a military, domination, histographic, cultural or even diplomatic victory without at least one major expansionst, acquisitive military campaign in the game. I highly doubt that any advanced player will seriously tell you otherwise. My recommendation for an early war may be disputable, but war you must make nonetheless, and it is - mathematically - easier earlier before the geometric expansion of the AI's assets becomes insurmountable.

4. I make no claim that my Early War strategy will win you the game. Hardly. Rather it only sets you up as a competive and respected plantary power for the second half of the game. With a couple of neighbors absorbed, you have the breadth to compete culturally, militarily and scientifically, as well as a reduced number of opponents. And the religious Aztecs make switching from that long campaign to democracy very simple. From there out, I offered no ideas (for meta-game, the late-war, etc), so you are incorrect to suggest I put out my ideas as a 'figuring out' the game. I would think that my visiting these fora should be proof enough of that. Open my mind... Good lord.

5. Military strategies are NOT easy. Again, I don't make that claim anywhere. I only suggest that an early war is necessary: a) to get the breadth to a be competive power in the game, and b) to net you your first GL which should pay for your FP in some god-forsaken part of your empire. The ONLY way to acquire GLs is war and you need that FP as early as possible. If you actually build to completion your FP you have wasted an enormous amount of production or built it to close to your palace. Early war is therefore not 'narrow' (you have a real penchant for ostentation), but rather a practical necessity.
Old February 12, 2003, 12:24   #71
BRC
Prince

Once again, sorry for the rough reaction.

Quote:
Ceteris paribus, you can NEVER outrace the AI at Monarch-Deity in a randomly selected game. It is mathematically impossible due to the AI's built in productive advantages. Further, these adavantages expand geometrically, as they compound every turn. This is the whole point of upper level play. The human player's superior capability for strategic thought is to compensate this productive handicap. But by definition, a random AI city will be superior to a random city of yours.
It is possible to outrace the AI on Emperor. This is most likely due to their weak FP/Palace placement. You are correct that a random city of the human will not be as productive, but your empire can be.

Quote:
You may intervene against that challenging logic in only two ways. a) You can try to outgrow the AI by REX-ing better than it does. You may block chokepoints, expand overseas, place cities better, whatever. But this is difficult as the AI can crank out settlers faster than.
This is very difficult, but it is possible. And there are ways to make it easier. Dominae wrote up a thread on the Americans, who are probably the best REXing civ, giving ways to keep up with the AI.

Quote:
The only other course is warfare. By removing cities from AI control and placing them under your own, you improve the balance of power in your favor through a direct transfer of assets. Again, as your cities are mathematically less productive than the AI's you need more of them to counterbalance theirs.
I agree that this is probably the most efficient way to win. But it's not the only way. I've already responded to the productivity issue.

Quote:
As a result war is INEVITABLE if you wish to acquire a large imperial space and be competitive in late game. With the the exception of a highly risky (because you won't be able to spend much on defense) scientific/industrious run straight for a spaceship win, there is simply no way you will have the imperial scale to compete for a military, domination, histographic, cultural or even diplomatic victory without at least one major expansionst, acquisitive military campaign in the game. I highly doubt that any advanced player will seriously tell you otherwise. My recommendation for an early war may be disputable, but war you must make nonetheless, and it is - mathematically - easier earlier before the geometric expansion of the AI's assets becomes insurmountable.
There was a thread running around here a while ago about a German who beat the game on Emperor without building a single military unit. He had nothing for defense, fought no wars of agression. He didn't even have the threat of a military to keep the AI's at bay. I think that this is pretty amazing. But you know, the game probably would have been easier if he would have just crushed everyone. He didn't though, and he's probably a better player because of it.

Quote:
I make no claim that my Early War strategy will win you the game. Hardly. Rather it only sets you up as a competive and respected plantary power for the second half of the game.
Good.

Quote:
I would think that my visiting these fora should be proof enough of that. Open my mind... Good lord.
It's good to see you here. I really mean that. But I think that having a formula could screw you over sometime, especially with unfavorable terrain, or a bad RNG.

Quote:
The ONLY way to acquire GLs is war and you need that FP as early as possible. If you actually build to completion your FP you have wasted an enormous amount of production or built it to close to your palace. Early war is therefore not 'narrow' (you have a real penchant for ostentation), but rather a practical necessity.
After playing this game for a while, and reading here, I have learned that an early FP is more important than anything else in the game. GL's are extremely powerful. So powerful that people set up Farms of weak AI's so that they can throw their elites against spearmen. It makes perfect sense. I'll give you this one.

Look, sorry to get on your case, but every game will not be the same. You need to be flexible.

You enjoy the Aztecs a lot, huh. When you get the time, I would like you to play a Monarch game with the Japanese and not fight a single war until you get Samurais. You might feel frustrated at first, but when you figure out how the AI's act, you will feel like you can win any Monarch game. Seriously, if you have the time, try this.
Old February 12, 2003, 12:24   #72
badman
Warlord

It's is possible to win even Deity without any offensive war, as somebody (I think it was punkbass) has proven.
Old February 12, 2003, 12:29   #73
Mazarin
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Prince

Quote:
3. As a result war is INEVITABLE if you wish to acquire a large imperial space and be competitive in late game. With the the exception of a highly risky (because you won't be able to spend much on defense) scientific/industrious run straight for a spaceship win, there is simply no way you will have the imperial scale to compete for a military, domination, histographic, cultural or even diplomatic victory without at least one major expansionst, acquisitive military campaign in the game. I highly doubt that any advanced player will seriously tell you otherwise. My recommendation for an early war may be disputable, but war you must make nonetheless, and it is - mathematically - easier earlier before the geometric expansion of the AI's assets becomes insurmountable
well, it is possible to win this game without any wars...even without building a single military unit

you have to admit that the AI isn't very competitive in terms of trade/micromanagement...and this can also be a weak point that the human can exploit.
Old February 12, 2003, 15:21   #74
SorvinoBackhand
Chieftain

BRC,

1. I appreciate your apology and civil tone. Thank you. That is rare on the boards, yet I find all the posturing here foolish because none of us can credibly compare skills (its too bad games can't be saved, swapped and re-viewed), so it makes no sense to speak pejoratively. The boards are too informal and anonymous for that. The only poster I KNOW is better than I am is Velociryx (because his SMAC/X guide was so good). And in fact I originally got the idea of Aztec early wars from him: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...hreadid=52270. Maybe that heritage will assuage your concerns .

2. I think your second reply cedes much of my arguement for early war-making as rational. You even agree that it is probably the most efficient way to win, just not the only way. Most of your concern is to suggest it is *possible* to outrace the AI at the upper levels. Sure it is possible, but ultimately the math is against it. To the AI, the game is an exercise in game theory, applied statistics. The rather high probability in a randomly selected game is that you will NOT be able to outrace/out-Rex the AI. (And even if you do, the AIs will then gang up on you mercilessly.) Perhaps the AI does makes stupid placement and build decisions squandering its advantages, but in lieu of real proof that it does - placing its FP too close to its palace - eg, then you have nothing but hope or conjecture. By contrast the AI's terrible warfighting ability is *proven
* (so much so, it is arguably a game flaw) and is your big strategic edge all game. Use it when it faces the least quantitative resisitance - early. Throw in the near-necessity of a GL early on for an early FP, and the game's structural incentives for early war are enormous.

3. I can't agree that one becomes a 'better player' for by rejecting early military expansion for some less efficient strategy. The point of the game is victory. The ultimate test of your skill, IMO, is your histographic score at the end of the game. If you are more likely to win, or - more realistically - to be in serious contention in late game, if you expand early, then why not do it ? You yourself admit that is most likely the most efficient manner, at least in early game. If that's so, why opt for strategies with higher opportunity costs and lower cost-benefit ratios ? That's what drives the AI, why shouldn't it drive you ? If you just want extra challenges, fine. Build wealth for the first 40 turns or something then. But I find, routinely, once I am in game at the higher levels of play, that the competition is so productive, so fast and so numerous, that just about the only reliable manner to catch up is early war. That doesn't guarantee victory, just a fighting chance later. Hence my recommendation to choose traits based on early game. At this point you are closest to the AI in strength and useful early game traits can almost level the playing field so that you can get going for the longer haul.

4. Flexibility and pragmatism in game play are givens. Of course I agree. I am only trying to answer the question of the thread with a strategy that seems to work for me more frequently than others.

5. I have in fact played Japan a lot at Monarch. They were my favorites for awhile. I got my only complete (all-planet) military victory with them. I agree they have a great UU for relatively early warfighting. Now its your turn to try Aztecs and early/rush wars. Take a look at Vel's thread on this too. I would be curious for your feedback.

6. What does RNG mean ?

Thanks.
Old February 12, 2003, 16:19   #75
BRC
Prince

First, RNG is the random number generator that is responsible for determining battle outcomes, gifts from huts, ..... just about anything that is "random" in the game.

I am very familiar with Vel's thread. While I was not here when he was, I appreciate the work he did. I know he loved the "The Green Machine."

Quote:
Sure it is possible, but ultimately the math is against it.
Most of the time, you are right. However, for example, you can research Mathematics before the AI (most of the time), and trade it to the other civs and get 3 or 4 techs. This can realistically be done all the way through the tech tree (on Monarch, harder at Emperor). The key is to research what the AI won't. In this manner, you are not trying to "catch up" to the AI's, rather you are dictating the game.

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=67384
This is a link to a thread created by Alexman about AI stupidities. While it is nowhere near complete, it gives some examples. The AI's tendencies can be proven if you dig deep enough here. However, there were some changes made to AI behavior in PTW, and we're still working on these.

Quote:
I can't agree that one becomes a 'better player' for by rejecting early military expansion for some less efficient strategy.
You don't become a better player through rejecting military expansion, but you realize that the game plays out much differently. I'm pretty sure that the AI has an "aggression flag" that is tripped after so much fighting. How does the AI respond if you don't trip this "flag"? Maybe the game actually becomes easier later on??

Quote:
If that's so, why opt for strategies with higher opportunity costs and lower cost-benefit ratios ? That's what drives the AI, why shouldn't it drive you ?
You've taken economics, haven't you???
Again, you don't have to chase down the AI. It is possible to find other holes and exploit them. When you make contact with another continent by sending out suicide galleys, you are doing something the AI will not do. This advantage is huge. Now, do the shields that you spend on 3 horsemen (or swordsmen) pay off more than the shields spent on the galley(s)? I know that I would rather have contact with an additional 4 civs than 3 more horses.

Quote:
If you just want extra challenges, fine. Build wealth for the first 40 turns or something then.
I am in no way suggesting that you need to impair your civ. I'm saying that the most logical way (war) may not be the best.
I would like to have 100 ways to beat the AI. If you are content with your way of playing, then perfect it. In my opinion, and don't take this personally, you will never be as good as the person who can win 100 different ways.

Quote:
Flexibility and pragmatism in game play are givens. Of course I agree. I am only trying to answer the question of the thread with a strategy that seems to work for me more frequently than others.
Just for curiosity, what other civs and approaches have you taken to this game?? It's good to see that you can adapt to a changing game.

Quote:
I have in fact played Japan a lot at Monarch. They were my favorites for awhile. I got my only complete (all-planet) military victory with them. I agree they have a great UU for relatively early warfighting. Now its your turn to try Aztecs and early/rush wars. Take a look at Vel's thread on this too. I would be curious for your feedback.
I have played the Aztecs a couple of times on Monarch as well. They worked great, but they didn't suit my style. I prefer Japan due to the later rush. As Arrian says, "You know my tendencies... I wait a bit longer and hit a lot harder." Whose strategy pays off more?? Nobody knows. Your strat probably leads to more Swordsmen running around in the Ancient Age. Mine probably has more Knights and Cavs hitting during the Medieval Age.

AU: 204 is in session right now in this forum. Are you playing?? If you weren't planning on it, I would suggest that you give this game a shot with your Aztecs (they are one of the playable civs). You will NOT be able to use what you have layed out in your initial post. It would be a good test.

Sorry for the trouble. If the only way that you enjoy this game is by playing the way that you do, then keep doing it, by all means.
I am still at the stage where I am doing everything I can to get better. This requires radical (and sometimes ineffectual) approaches. However, every game I learn a lot. Good luck!

P.S. I will continue this discussion for as long as you want me to.
I'm only trying to help. Please keep that in mind.
Old February 12, 2003, 16:37   #76
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

On Emperor level, I've had the most success beating the AI to the following ancient era techs:

1. Writing when starting as a Commerical Civ. 100% succesful. When Non-commerical: 0% successful.

2. Polytheism. 33% successful.

3. Monarchy. So far allways successful if and only if #2 is succesful.

In the Middle Ages, pre FP I've had the most success reserach Printing Press first. 80% successful.
Next most successful without the FP is Chivary: 20% successful.

Post FP, I very quickly acquire a branch lead, and two times have left the AI in the dust in the Industrial era. (Defined as getting a 1/4th era or more lead.) My smallest tech lead at the end of the game was parity with 1 modern era main branch, and a 1 tech lead in each of the other branches.
Old February 12, 2003, 17:37   #77
badman
Warlord

I personally think that self-given restrictions help you to become a better player because you understand the game in more and better ways and you simply are more flexible.
And it's more fun (that's what Civ is all about )

Last edited by badman; February 12, 2003 at 17:47.
Old February 12, 2003, 17:49   #78
SorvinoBackhand
Chieftain

We are going over old territory, but it is enjoyable discussion when you restrain the unnecessary personal commentary.

1. You haven't refuted the utility of early military expansion. So ultimately its unclear if you aren't just arguing for variety. Fair enough, but not especially useful in one given game when playing to win. Further, warfare needn't dictate your later gameplay, and if you do it right with Aztecs, you should be able to finish it rather quickly. So its unclear why you are so anxious to read my arguement for early war as inflexible or formulaic. There's lots of room to fool around after you have some breadth - you just have to have it, as well as that GL for the FP. I agree that is fun and fruitful to try other ways. Like you, I too try other civs and wild tactics like suicide galleys (which rarely seems to work btw) in an effort to find holes and other possibilities. I agree. However, if you are playing *any one given game to win, not to experiment,* I have not yet found a tactic as realiable as a solid early expansion at the upper levels. That's all I'm saying here...

2. I have played lots of different ways and find that routinely military expansion is most cost effective. The only really competitive strat I can think of is a highly focused and narrow (you wouldn't approve) industrious/scientific drive for a spaceship win. I stated this earlier. But is dangerous because you have so little extra for defense, and to me, spaceship victories feel cheap.

3. The game against the AI is all about the math. You seem to recognize this but dislike it. Many of the ideas you have are possible. I especially like the (probably apocryphal) story of the German winning on Diety without building a single unit. Such anecdotes are pleasant but not realistic, proven 'paths to glory.' Because ultimately, any one game will most likely break according to the *probabilities*, not toward the far-wider realm of all possibilities. Hence *in any one game* it is ultimately rational to pursue strategies that recognize statistics. (That doesn't mean I don't save and then replay multiple options to see what happens with each. But we are speaking of 'Iron Man' winning strats without the benefit of replay.) Since you seem to know what opportuinty costs are, why not think like that in game ? Why the resistance to the dismal science? The AI is the ultimate rational-choice-driven actor. Outthink it. That is your HUGE, human advantage, and it shows up nowhere more reliably than on the battlefield.

3. You seem to be waffling on the efficiency of early warfare. In your second post you ceded a lot of ground to me by saying it was probably the most efficient manner to get into a winning position. In your third post, you write, "most logical way (war) may not be the best." If it isn't the best, then its not the most logical, as the player's strategic logic is dictated by game victory. So what is your more reliable alternative? My efforts to find a better one has not turned one up, although I have won with a variety of other civs (used to play a lot of Greeks for the great UU and commercial reduction of corruption).

4. I am trying to 'help' you as much as you are trying to help me, although you should avoid such condescending language IMO on the fora. How I enjoy the game is irrelevant to our discussion, as is your opinion that it is 'good' that I try other strategies. Are you trying to provoke me again? If not, then can't just give me your (otherwise interesting) feedback without all the trappings... Didn't we go over this before ?

5. Is there an aggression trip wire? Good question. I will cede that one of the largest hurdles of my arguement is that when you do make it to late game, you have to put in a lot of effort to calm down the remaining civs, irked at your earlier behavior. But I'd rather have that problem than being an also-ran on a planet of heavyweights.

5. What is AU: 204 ?
Old February 12, 2003, 18:14   #79
Catt
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
King

Local Time: 05:15
Re: Aztecs
Quote:
Originally posted by SorvinoBackhand
You can't outrace (outbuild, 'out-science,' 'out-culture,' etc.) the AI at the higher levels because of its productive advantages. You must therefore overrun some of your neighbors quickly to acquire a breadth of your own cities in order to counterbalance the quality of the AIs' cities. Hence a militaristic civ is a requirement.

[. . .]

[. . .]

you can NEVER outrace the AI at Monarch-Deity in a randomly selected game. It is mathematically impossible due to the AI's built in productive advantages. Further, these adavantages expand geometrically, as they compound every turn. This is the whole point of upper level play. The human player's superior capability for strategic thought is to compensate this productive handicap. But by definition, a random AI city will be superior to a random city of yours.

[. . .]

You may intervene against that challenging logic in only two ways. a) You can try to outgrow the AI by REX-ing better than it does. You may block chokepoints, expand overseas, place cities better, whatever. But this is difficult as the AI can crank out settlers faster than. And the possibilities for such expansion run out once all the map's land is filled in by mid-Ancient. b) The only other course is warfare. By removing cities from AI control and placing them under your own, you improve the balance of power in your favor through a direct transfer of assets.

[. . .]

As a result war is INEVITABLE if you wish to acquire a large imperial space and be competitive in late game. With the the exception of a highly risky (because you won't be able to spend much on defense) scientific/industrious run straight for a spaceship win, there is simply no way you will have the imperial scale to compete for a military, domination, histographic, cultural or even diplomatic victory without at least one major expansionst, acquisitive military campaign in the game.

[. . .]

I highly doubt that any advanced player will seriously tell you otherwise. My recommendation for an early war may be disputable, but war you must make nonetheless . . .

[. . .]

Early war is therefore not 'narrow' (you have a real penchant for ostentation), but rather a practical necessity.

[. . .]
Poppycock.

And quite easily answered. Have a look at the following spoiler threads:

AU 106 - Isolation In this game, the human player was consigned to an island and isolated until Astronomy (with galleys moved back to that tech so that the human couldn't chance the high seas and make contact). The AI civs enjoyed equal or better terrain, plus the ability to contact each other -- contact, as you know results in much faster tech acquisition due to trading and tech devaluation. With the AI's production advantages, and the human's isolation, if your absolutist theories are correct, there should not be any mathemetical possibility of the human player enjoyning a lead over the AI's right? (let alone parity).

AU 103 -- Banana Island In this game, each of the 8 civs (human and AI) start on identical landmasses -- everyone has the same raw materials, but the development levels of the various civs varies considerably.

There are a wealth of other examples available right here in the strat forum -- we played a game with enforced peace at all times -- we weren't even allowed to build military units! (AU 102). Several players have posted examples of entirely peaceful wins on Deity (I haven't done that myself) - on Emperor its often quite easy to do (punkbass' Warless Deity Win thread).

Under your view, it must therefore be impossible to win a game in which you start an a smallish landmass and remain isolated (and therefore unable to fight) until the late game, right? And impossible to win an OCC or 5CC ("one city challenege" and "5 city challenge" in which the human player limits himself to either one or five cities only).

You're missing the forest for the trees. Yes, playing on Emperor means that my marketplaces cost 100 shields and the AI's marketplaces cost 80 shields. I need 20 bushels of food to grow - the AI needs only 16. But these absolutes do not operate in a vacuum and dictate that, absent warfare, the respective strengths and powers of human and AI civs must reflect the 80% - 100% difference. There are a variety of levers available to the player that shape the progress of the game. Human skill -- the ability to do more things more effectively, even with the burden of paying full price along the way -- is usually enough to overcome inherent production advantages of the higher levels.

I happen to believe that warfare, early and often, is the most efficient, tried-and-true, and reliable way to beat the game. And I certainly would never dispute that the key to higher scoring games (unless ICS - milking) is (1) rapid finishes, and (2) rapid territorial expansion.

But being a more optimal approach doesn't make it a necessity, as you insist it does.

Catt
Old February 12, 2003, 18:29   #80
Catt
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
King

Local Time: 05:15
I forgot to add a link - Theseus' Seven Pillars of Wisdom thread -- a very interesting discussion that, if I remember correctly, acknowledges the power of early warfare, but doesn't insist that it is a fundamental necessity, as you try to do.

Catt
Old February 12, 2003, 18:31   #81
BRC
Prince

AU 204. Look at these threads.

http://www.apolyton.net/forums/showt...threadid=76476

http://www.apolyton.net/forums/showt...threadid=76478

Quote:
So ultimately its unclear if you aren't just arguing for variety.
I am not arguing just for the sake of it. To be honest with you, I saw a little bit of uneducated bias in your initial post and felt that I would lend a helping hand. Clearly, you do not want it, at least from me. I will be the first to admit that I do not have as much in-game experience as the others here.

Quote:
Further, warfare needn't dictate your later gameplay, and if you do it right with Aztecs, you should be able to finish it rather quickly.
What if the conditions dictate that you can't war?? (archipelago comes to mind) Do you give up?? It's fine if you do, but I am under the assumption that most of us won't.

Quote:
The only really competitive strat I can think of is a highly focused and narrow (you wouldn't approve) industrious/scientific drive for a spaceship win. I stated this earlier. But is dangerous because you have so little extra for defense, and to me, spaceship victories feel cheap.
What makes you think that I wouldn't approve? If the conditions dictate that type of game, then so be it. While the AI behaves erratically with declarations of war, I do believe that the danger can be minimized quite a bit through smart play. I feel that U.N. wins are cheap. Just a difference of style.

Quote:
Many of the ideas you have are possible. I especially like the (probably apocryphal) story of the German winning on Diety without building a single unit. Such anecdotes are pleasant but not realistic, proven 'paths to glory.' Because ultimately, any one game will most likely break according to the *probabilities*, not toward the far-wider realm of all possibilities.
It may never happen again, but don't you think that he knew some things that the rest of us didn't about AI behavior and the like. He knew how to deal with that type of game and will know how to deal with it again, if a similiar game comes across him (don't ask me how this would happen.)

Quote:
You seem to be waffling on the efficiency of early warfare. In your second post you ceded a lot of ground to me by saying it was probably the most efficient manner to get into a winning position. In your third post, you write, "most logical way (war) may not be the best."
You need to understand that I incorporate early war in 95% of my games as well. I am not ignorant to the fact that early war is powerful. However, in certain games, it is unfeasible. Most likely due to map settings and the RNG.

Quote:
I am trying to 'help' you as much as you are trying to help me, although you should avoid such condescending language IMO on the fora.
I appreciate the "help" and am in no way saying that I don't need it, but I have already been through the Early War Strat that you outlined. You have shown me nothing new. As for the remarks, I'm sorry that you feel they are condescending. I think others here will agree that it is not my character to be that way. Maybe my wording wasn't great, but my intentions have nothing to do with belittlement.

Quote:
Is there an aggression trip wire? Good question. I will cede that one of the largest hurdles of my arguement is that when you do make it to late game, you have to put in a lot of effort to calm down the remaining civs, irked at your earlier behavior.
Catt and others (Nor Me??) have done some tests on how AI attitude affects the game. It really doesn't have as much impact as first thought. Your reputation, however, could cost you the game.

I am just trying to tell you that a formula will screw you over. As long as you realize this, then we have nothing further to discuss.

As a side note, if you play this game a lot, you should really look at the AU threads. Many posters here have worked extremely hard at sharing their knowledge. I'm just trying to pass it along.

Last edited by BRC; February 12, 2003 at 18:42.
Old February 12, 2003, 18:34   #82
Dominae
BtS Tri-LeaguePtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

SorvinoBackhand, most people are addressing the discussion points better than I, so I will not butt in (just yet!). But you really should try the game posted here:

AU204

You'll find that many of your favorite strategies will actually make the game more difficult. Try it on Emperor and you'll see what I mean. Then go to the spoiler thread, and see how some players managed to win. I'm not saying you're not a good player; I'm saying that I know that there are things you can learn. You just have to want to.

By the way, the AU games are "shared" in a sense, so yes it is possible to compare games and strategies, down to the minutest detail.

BRC, there is no need to hear rumors about games without any military units: one of the first AU scenarios was based on this exact premise (the 'Hippy Americans' one).

Dominae
Old February 12, 2003, 18:37   #83
BRC
Prince

Quote:
BRC, there is no need to hear rumors about games without any military units: one of the first AU scenarios was based on this exact premise (the 'Hippy Americans' one).
I do not believe that I was present for that game. I will read up.
Old February 13, 2003, 11:05   #84
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

I think it was AU 102... "Give Peace a Chance." I really enjoyed that game, despite being crushed by an Egyptian Cavalry attack a few turns from victory (something like 6 turns away from the UN).

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old February 13, 2003, 17:43   #85
Underseer
Warlord

Funny that no one is mentioning civs in terms of those critical mid-game expansions when playing a builder game on a Huge map. This is far from the most important consideration, but it's definitely worth thinking about IMO. You want a unit that lets you both explore a new landmass and simultaneously defend your settlers and workers from barbarians.

For that, there are:
  • Indians
    The UU requires no resources and has a movement of 2. This means regardless of the circumstances of your expansion, your underdeveloped cities can crank these out for exploration and defense. All you need is ready cash for the rush builds. This also means you don't have to take up ship space with defender/explorer units. You can devote all the space in your cargo holds to settlers and/or workers. The commercial trait of Indians means that mid game expansion is a little less painful.
  • Aztecs
    Same as above (UU requires no resources and has a movement of 2), but in addition, the UU requires far less tech to get. In fact, it requires zero tech to get, which makes Aztecs great for expanding into your starting land mass as well as additional land masses later in the game.
  • Spanish
    The UU requires resources (horses), but having a movement of 6 and the ability to attack makes them great for expanding into new land masses. They are more than fast enough to explore and still race back in time to defend from roving barbarians. As with the Indians, the Spanish commercial trait makes mid game expansion less painful.

That's not to say that any of the above 3 are at the top of my list of favorite civs for builder games, but it definitely puts them higher on the list than most builder players give them credit for.
Old February 16, 2003, 19:54   #86
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
I've been catching up on Strat threads, and just came across this doozy.

Let me chime in a bit regarding the discussion of early war... I know a little about it.

Actually, no, let me start with a discussion on etiquette.

APOLYTON CIV3 ETIQUETTE

For a long time, there were some pretty heated discussions around here, mostly having to do with Firaxis and the various releases of the game and patches.

It took awhile, but things calmed down, mostly because there was a strong cultural emphasis on cordiality and constructive thought.

One of the next things I noticed was that as some players here and, err, elsewhere, developed greater and greater expertise in playing Civ3 and in game mechanics, there was a tendency to berate those with lesser knowledge. That really, really bugged me, and consequently I stopped hanging out very much at, err, elsewhere, and started my own personal practice of trying to be extra helpful, especially to newer players / posters. I like to think that I've had a part, with some notable others, in developing a very positive and learning environment here at 'poly, and that said environment is one of the things that makes our little community really shine.

We took that a couple of big steps further with Apolyton University. And, funnily, I've noticed that even at, errr, elsewhere, the same kind of open-minded and collaborative discussion is taking place.

So that's all well and good. I think a lot of people have gotten to really like it around here, with our unwritten etiquette being one of the reasons.

But there's another kind of behavior, not always so obvious, that also breaches our culture and etiquette, and it REALLY P-SSES ME OFF.

And that's arrogance... especially unfounded arrogance.

Two previous examples come to mind, and they actually both really relate, in *content* as well as in attitude, to why I am writing this diatribe.

I don;t really remember the order, but the examples I'm talking about are two posters named HappySunShine / Eyes of Night and some punk named I-iz-1337.

Happy is a Civ2 MPer who has, um, communication issues, but is evidently a top player at certain styles of MP play. He showed up in the Civ3 forums talking trash about how he would kick every-SP-body's butts in MP. Well, number one, no one appreciated the attitude. Number two, I haven't seen him around in the MP fora. But most importantly, number three, his content was weak... it turned out his whole claim to fame was being the master of the horsemen rush. Big whup, and buh-bye.

Next, we had this guy show up writing in that weird 1337 language, claiming to be the best Civ3 player on the planet. Wellll, in our very nice way, we asked him to post a save or two... and proceeded to rip him to shreds for all of his (many) mistakes. He showed up again with a "1337" challenge game, and a number of us opened a can of whup-ss on him, completing trouncing his performance. And, oh yeah, his whole thing was playing a one-dimensional military game (which he sucked at anyway). As Joe Pesci would say, "I got no use for this guy."

Actually, it's pretty funny to go back and read the thread:
http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...0&pagenumber=1

Enough talk about yesteryear. So flash forward to the recent discussion on this thread...

The reason I'm going off here?

Well, beyond the arrogance, you can dress a pig up and take it to the dance, but it's still a pig.

I found Sorvino Blackhand' replies to BRC to be arrogant bordering on the virtue of insulting to just about everyone who posts here. And dressing it up with fancy language and econ-crap don't make it no better.

Kudos to you BRC, and others, for playing nice, but as I said back when to 1337, the arrogance irks the heck out of me.

You think you came up with early war, big guy? Uh, if I remember there was me, and Vel, and Sir Ralph, and bunch of others who kept pushing war earlier and earlier (Warrior bopping, anyone?).

You've never heard of AU, and you have the effing NERVE to write this:

"The only poster I KNOW is better than I am is Velociryx..."

How the hell do you know if you've never even compared games... or for that matter read about others doing so?

And you don;t know what an RNG is? How about a Civ combat calculator to go with your fries?

Opportunity costs... piff. How about the opportunity cost of REXing or some GWs versus devoting shields to warfare? Drivel.

When BRC kept on coming back at you with examples, such as the warless games, you just pretty much blew him off, almost calling him a liar.

Well, I call that just weak.

Here's the deal, my friend: We all figured out "your" strategy about, oh, a year ago. It's probably why Vel quit the game, and I still give him grief about it (he figured that he'd "broke the code"). Ultimately, just like our buddies HSS and 1337, you can, if you'd like, reduce the game to its barest bones, and just win by fighting.

Here, I'll give you a present... a killer strat which you can claim for your own (you can even name it):

Borg, barracks, and units.

Have fun with it.

But there's a reason Sid, and Brian, and the current Firaxis team designed in all that other stuff. And there's a reason a bunch of us, who MUST be wrong, huh, have spent over a year exploring it.

Early war is not required. Period. Bank on it.

You gotta problem with that, show up at AU, or post a game for us to compete on. I'll r0x0r your -ss too.

Here endeth the diatribe.

EARLY WAR

All of the above said, early war rocks, and yes, the Aztecs are very good at it.

Wow.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old February 16, 2003, 19:58   #87
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

And so are the Germans.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Old February 16, 2003, 19:58   #88
Theseus
Emperor

And so are the Chinese.

Old February 16, 2003, 19:59   #89
Theseus
Emperor

And so are the Zulu.

Old February 16, 2003, 20:04   #90
Theseus
Emperor

Should I keep going?

Now, on-topic:

A lot of us Strat forum posters are in Gathering Storm.

And what civ did we pick?

Egypt.

Why?

Maximum flexibility. And that applies to both SP and MP. Sure, there are better civs for certain circumstances, but for the novice and expert alike, Egypt is just a great all around choice.

Oh, and yeah, I'm perfectly happy conducting early warfare with Egypt.

Or not.