Old December 9, 2002, 01:28   #1
Frozzy
PtWDG2 SunshineNationStatesCall To Power SuperLeague
Emperor

Local Time: 00:19
Local Date: November 2, 2010
What board game should I get for Christmas?
If I were to get a board game for Chrimbo, which one should I get. I liked Risk, if thats any help, and I want one thats less than $30
Old December 9, 2002, 05:22   #2
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 13:19
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Ever played Campaign?
Old December 9, 2002, 07:08   #3
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 20:19
Campaign is better than Risk, but you might want to also think about Avalon Hill's Civilization, spiritual forbear to Sid's game.
Old December 9, 2002, 13:20   #4
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 12:19
Diplomacy? Although you'd need a fair amount of poeple to play against? But you could then play them over the stories/diplomacy forum on apolyton
Old December 9, 2002, 13:24   #5
Grumbold
Emperor

The new Sid Meier#s Civilization is fun too, but I suspect its more than $30.

"Tigris & Euphrates" I enjoy playing and will take considerably less time to finish than either Civ game.
Old December 9, 2002, 14:36   #6
Drew Dude
Settler

History of the World. Very good for 5 or 6 players (it might even play 7). It can take a whole evening.
Not sure about the price though as I haven't bought it - just played it around friends
Old December 12, 2002, 02:24   #7
Zkribbler
Deity

Local Time: 05:19
If you ever see a game of Talisman, pick it up. It's a great games, especially good for parties because you can learn it in a few minutes, and players can join and leave in the middle of the game with no problem.

The bad news is Games Workshop is no longer making it. I heard it was going for $400 on ebay.
Old December 12, 2002, 05:23   #8
Nostromo
Emperor

Local Time: 08:19
There are lots and lots of suggestions at the following site:

http://faidutti.free.fr/jeux/articles/critic.html
Old December 12, 2002, 09:21   #9
Grumbold
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Zkribbler
If you ever see a game of Talisman, pick it up. It's a great games, especially good for parties because you can learn it in a few minutes, and players can join and leave in the middle of the game with no problem.

The bad news is Games Workshop is no longer making it. I heard it was going for $400 on ebay.
Played it to death. Its fun but after a while its quite obvious which player(s) are winning, but it can take another hour for them to actually do it. I've only got the original game and the first expansion but a friend bought absolutely everything.
Old December 12, 2002, 23:40   #10
Zkribbler
Deity

Local Time: 05:19
Quote:
Originally posted by Grumbold

but after a while its quite obvious which player(s) are winning, but it can take another hour for them to actually do it
bah! Wait until they get turned into a toad and then take their stuff while they're hopping around
Old December 13, 2002, 21:48   #11
Standup
Prince

Warrior Knights ? Do they still make it ?
It was always our alternative to Risk for a quick and simple game although as we didn't trust each other an inch we had to put a cap on any diplomacy.
Old December 13, 2002, 22:18   #12
XarXo
Prince

What about chess?
Old December 13, 2002, 22:50   #13
War4ever
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 04:19
get the civ boardgame so i can hear about it in the forums
Old December 13, 2002, 23:13   #14
Urban Ranger
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Zkribbler
bah! Wait until they get turned into a toad and then take their stuff while they're hopping around
That's why you couldn't lose with the Prophetess.
Old December 14, 2002, 02:53   #15
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 22:19
Trivial Pursuit.
Old December 14, 2002, 08:54   #16
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 14:19
I agree with President here, if your guests are not not hardcore boardgame players, trivial will fill the evening.
It is good fun (well as long as you're pretty good at it )
Old December 14, 2002, 15:32   #17
XarXo
Prince

I suggest a game called "Hotel", is just like a monopoly game but the fancy buildings are pretty beautiful.
Old December 14, 2002, 15:35   #18
War4ever
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

what about cranium, its like trivial pursuit, has charades, drawing , using playdo.....etc..its like 8 games in one, pictionary ect...

do you guys have starbucks over there, cuz i know u can buy it there
Old December 15, 2002, 03:32   #19
Alinestra Covelia
ACDG The Human HiveRise of Nations Multiplayer
Queen

I just played my first game of Diplomacy and it's great! But you need to make sure that people understand the concept behind the game - that making permanent pacts can really screw up the whole experience for everybody else.

I have heard many many bad things about Avalon Hill's Civilization game.
Old December 15, 2002, 07:57   #20
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by XarXo
I suggest a game called "Hotel", is just like a monopoly game but the fancy buildings are pretty beautiful.
I managed to accidently crush "The Boomerang". It now looks like its suffering major subsidence and earthquake damage It makes paying $600 a night even more insulting.
Old December 15, 2002, 21:22   #21
jdd2007
NationStates
King

Re: What board game should I get for Christmas?
Quote:
Originally posted by redbull
If I were to get a board game for Chrimbo, which one should I get. I liked Risk, if thats any help, and I want one thats less than $30
LotR Risk or civIII if you dont mind spending a bit extra

Old December 16, 2002, 14:10   #22
Grumbold
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by War4ever
get the civ boardgame so i can hear about it in the forums
Both civ boardgames have been talked about quite a bit, especially the original.
Old December 17, 2002, 23:16   #23
Urban Ranger
Deity

Go
Old December 18, 2002, 13:17   #24
hexagonian
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Local Time: 07:19
I'm suprised that no-one mentioned 'Axis and Allies'
Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
...aisdhieort...dticcok...
Old December 18, 2002, 14:46   #25
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

Local Time: 07:19
Quote:
Originally posted by hexagonian
I'm suprised that no-one mentioned 'Axis and Allies'
Wow, last post....Give that man a cookie!
Old December 19, 2002, 15:28   #26
jackshot
Chieftain

Local Time: 06:19
Sheesh, Risk, give me a break. I will admit Axis and Allies is a very good game, but anyone who recommends Risk, Diplomacy, or Monopoly doesn't know there is golden age of board gaming going on. My top ten:

1. Puerto Rico - Germans are revolutionizing the board game. PR is a quick, fun game with tons of strategy about building colonial plantations and shipping the goods. People trade off playing the different roles of builder, producer, and shipping in an inventive way, quite good. The holy grail of board gaming - massive fun both for casual players AND strategy grognards.
2. Tigris and Euphrates - tile laying game. Quick, easy, and deep. See holy grail, above.
3. Tikal - about exploring Mayan temples. A combination tile laying and building game, with a competative side as you vie for control of each others temples. Solid game with an absolutely beautiful look. Java and Mexica are later games in the series if you're interested.
4. El Grande - nominally about political control of Spain in the 15th century, a territory-control game I could play all the time it's that good. Can be played with two people, but really shines with 4-5. Unfortunately out of print, but highly recommended - anyone who likes Civ will love this.
5. La Citta - butt-ugly board, but a great city-building game, extended play with good balance of short-term gain and long-term strategy.
6. Traders of Genoa - I love this one. A negotiation game, you essentially auction off your turn to the other players because you need their help for you to win. Plays great with two (or more) - probably my wife's favorite, too.
7. Web of Power - The Diplomacy game is really just an excuse to backstab, well, here's an excuse to backstab with a real game attached.
8. Acquire - the old classic. Amazingly people still play Monopoly.
9. Ra - auction game with ancient Egyptian theme. Great.
10. Die Macher - all the other games I've mentioned are German-made (except Acquire), but all are availible in English-language editions except this one. About elections held in seven districts in German parlimentary elections, a resource allocation game of outstanding depth.

Many, many great games out there - I've listed two by Reiner Knizia, probably the best game inventor around today, Puerto Rico was invented by Andreas Seyfarth. I didn't mention any true war games (not my bag but there are no shortage of titles) or card games, or any abstract games (like Go or Othello), or any of scores of others that could have made my list. IMO, the Civ boardgame (put out by Eagle Games) is middling quality, not a dog but it's not really finished and you are going to need a bunch of house rules to get through the night.
Old December 19, 2002, 16:03   #27
jdd2007
NationStates
King

those games all look fun jack, but ive never heard of any of them before. which are the simplest to play, and where could i get them?
Old December 19, 2002, 18:44   #28
jackshot
Chieftain

Local Time: 06:19
Here is a good website for info about board games: www.boardgamegeek.com Most of the games I've mentioned I've seen in hobby/game stores here in the US. If you're shopping online, just put the game title+board game in your search engine and several sites will pop up to sell it to you.

Of the titles I named, EVERYBODY likes Puerto Rico, you should start there. It's great for families (5th grade up) or serious gaming groups looking for a quick, fast one. El Grande, Web of Power, La Citta, and Die Macher are the heavier games, more for the typical gamer around here. Tikal is on the other end of the spectrum, good with kids (again 5th graders and up) because it is very visual and thought-provoking. Tigris is simple enough for kids, but is a little dry; Traders, Ra, or Acquire are simple enough but usually considered more adult - but hey, I was playing Acquire when I was 10.

Another title that's a little light for the gamers here is Carcassonne, a great one for playing with kids a lttle younger (3rd-4th grades+) or a non-gaming significant other, it still lets you feel like you played something. Essentially it's a freeform jigsaw puzzle with a little bit of a game attached, and a lot of fun. The original is a classic, but they have a new version out called Carcassonne: Hunters and Gatherers which is a little bit better.

Careful, these are addicting. You have been warned.
Old December 19, 2002, 20:27   #29
Nostromo
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by jdd2007
... and where could i get them?
Check out this online store: http://kumquat.com/cgi-kumquat/funagain/home?;;BRUN
Old December 19, 2002, 20:50   #30
War4ever
Emperor

i have a great game i play with friends, we use risk peicees and a few D&D pieces with a fantasy theme and a map we made on the back of the risk board....

each race has specific abilities....its loads of fun, and the lead changes frequently.....

its called gimp, but the name would have to change to be marketable, as the names of some of the countries/provinces/territories whatever you want to call them are not for minors....

there is a dragon , in three pieces and if you collect all three you can go on a rampage

each country has a capital city...... and there is a god race which can make crazy attacks on anyone who gets out of line....

you trade in sets (we use poker chips) for armies etc...loads of fun

wish i could get ming, rah, berz, FF, UR, and some others over to play