Old June 23, 2000, 10:01   #1
Vultur
Warlord

Local Time: 02:45
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Some Ideas about Missiles Units
As you know, missiles units are the most powerfull weapons that can be used in SMAC(X)
But,in my opinion, there are some errors:

1.PSI units & Missiles
For ALL PSI units, its impossible to stop missile units (also with AreoComplex, AAA tracking and FDS-SMACX-), but a missile unit can survive against a PSI attack (with good moral and NeuralAmp).
A missile is guided by a computer: it can't have emotion, and it can't defend a base like a normal unit (or not?)
My idea is that a missile, defending bases, acts as a non-combat units like probe or artifacts: or destroyed with the garrison or captured with the base.

2.Missiles & Reactor
When I build a unit the reactor do 2 important things:
a)increase unit's HP.
b)decrease unit's cost.
with missiles units the power of the weapon is increased, and the singularity missiles are very cheap and very powerfull:
i have calculated that a singularity PB is 32 times more powerfull that a fission PB.
My idea is that missiles cost must be balanced with their power.

3.Fungal missiles
Who have played with SMACX knows that FM are very usefull weapon: they can paralise the production of factions who use Free Market or slow the production at the other factions.
I have tried to use FM to plant fungus, but the growth of fungus is not very high...
but the strangest thing is appened when I have used FM in a square with one of my terraform: a fungal tower was under the terraform's feet! when I have tried to enter in the square with a combat unit, it attack my terraform! sounds strange but I've figthed against my self.

Anyone could reply and add other ideas.
Old June 23, 2000, 10:51   #2
RedFred
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Local Time: 18:45
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Cool as the fungal and terraform up missiles sound, I rarely use them. Partly on account of the high mineral or energy cost but also I hate tying up a city's build queue on one item for long - unless the rewards are greater as with most SPs. Formers can both terraform up and spread fungus quickly by that point in the game. So no need for exotic missiles unless your target area is somewhere that your formers aren't.

If I build missiles at all they tend to be the plain jane type. In general, my missile use is much higher in games when I have the battle odds feature turned off. The reason is obvious: missiles are one-shot items. The AI will rarely be able to defend against them, but they are expensive compared to a reusable attack weapon like a chopper. So you can remove a lot of doubt about the battle's outcome by lobbing in a missile before sending in your regular attack team. But if you have the option of a "strategic withdrawl" if the odds are not to your liking, then the need for missiles is less.
Old June 27, 2000, 13:06   #3
Vultur
Warlord

Everyone know that the AI is not very smart... but missiles units could be an investiment better than what you think:
in the middle of the game with Nessus Mines, and 20-30 big bases let 4-5 producting non-conventional missiles it's not a problem,
-with good infostructure my bases can build singularity PB in 3 turns-
and using tectonic missiles you can "build" big landmasses in one turn, and use them to attack an ex-seabase (for example)
The use of missile increase if you play MP
(or not?) because everyone know their power...
I prefear the tattical with copters and locusts of chiron: they are cheap and letal.
I use missile only for eradicate the aliens!
In the last game i've used near 10 singularity PB to reduce to reason the other faction (Drones,Caretakers,Usurpers)
Old July 6, 2000, 11:50   #4
Doug325
Chieftain

Local Time: 01:45
There are problems with missle units as they are right now. First, they are almost as expensive as an airplane unit, but can attack only once. Setting cost to 50%-75% of the current valeu would help, especially wioth the new Flechette Missle System.
I think that there should be two missle chassis , a short(maybe 8-12)range missle for tactical use (like the Scud missle) It would also be nice to be able to have nerve gas on these missles. The other missle should be long (infinate?) range. These are the ICBMs, useful for PB attacks. I also think that the fungal missle should be more effective for its cost. Also, the ICBMs should be able to get to thier target regardless of ground units near the target
Old July 7, 2000, 00:26   #5
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 01:45
It occurs to me that one can capitalize onthe PSI defense properties of missiles.

If one builds a polluter city and you've not been able to get enough empath units to take out the inevitable worm rape. One can always remove your lone garrison unit from the base and fly in a missile unit. The worms should thereby attack the base and lose every time. Thereby allowing your city to withstand untouched any native life attack from planet.
Old July 8, 2000, 17:02   #6
Theben
Deity

Local Time: 21:45
I very rarely use any missile units. I always build one PB just for diplomatic jostling, and will build 5-8 con missiles to attack any enemy base that is building a PB. Sure it's more expensive than a couple of suicide choppers, but it's more certain.
Old July 8, 2000, 23:25   #7
Sikander
King

Local Time: 18:45
I agree with Doug235, missles should be aimable just as artillery is. Simply designate the target square and fire away. Of course this issue goes a lot farther than missles. Why should aircraft be forced to attack unarmed units rather than simply flying over them. This problem is inherited from Civ, where a phalanx raised from a population 10,000 city exerts a zone of control over thousands of square kilometers, and is sufficient to stop an armored unit in it's tracks via it's ZOC.
Old July 11, 2000, 09:11   #8
Vultur
Warlord

Doug325 probably think that one-shot items like missiles cost too much, but I think that, except fungal missiles, the proprortion benefits/costs is rigth.
I was thining also at a new way to see missiles combat:

1.Missile Payload
I think it would be better if there was a degree in payload power -like normal weapon to be more clear-, in this manner you can build not-to-much powerful missile for PSI units near your bases square.

2.Intercepting Missiles
Units with Air Superiority can engage moral combat defending a base against a missile.
FDS, GSP can be used like modifier.
It's also possible a "Stelth" missile...

3.Missile Victory?
It could be a stupid idea, but if a faction gains a great destruction power can threaten the other factions, that can be eradicated or can think to you like world ruler.
Suggestion: build 1 PB for each 10 enemys' cites and have the Council proposal "Menace the Planetary Council", available after -I don't know...- The Will To Power